Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Under the current Terms of Service backers won't get a refund regardless of what CIG does. Furthermore not every ship will be available at whatever point the game is launched. So at this point backers are paying for ships that CIG doesn't actually have to deliver.

That's the part that I consider a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tarquinn posted:

Hmm, yes. The phrase "having faith in the game" is muttered quite often by star citizens.

Faith, belief, and hope. Backers never talk about what will be in the game because they don't know. I'm pretty sure CIG doesn't know either.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

There's also the part where CIG went back on their word about funding increasing scope but not schedule, so that backers are now paying to delay their own game. That's a scam as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

SPACE CAT SPACE COOKIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeV0UlPsew4

Sadly, fidelity suffered due to the pixels I used. Turns out the resulting dough was nigh on unsculptable.

Cookies were broken up for the video because I didn't want my housemate's cats to choke.

Cookies represented as many things as I could roughly form with the unwilling dough:

Ben Lesnick
Procedural bird
Procedural planet
T-pose commando
Star
Towel
Vending machine
Dollar sign
Doughnut
Gun
Spaceship
Baseball cap

Please note: in the video Test Subject Piglett totally ignores the Vending Machine cookie, thus proving even drugs don't make vending machines fun.

Recipe was kinda eyeballed, but it was roughly:

Tin of tuna in water, pureed
one egg
flour
about a tablespoon of catnip

Mush together till doughy

Make shapes

Cook at about 180c for 15 mins and let cool.

If the video doesn't work in your country due to copyright whatever, I'm sorry.

This is cool and good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The bad news is that I am no longer a Bomber Bro.

The good news is that I now have enough cash to buy a scope for my rifle.

Life is good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

What do you shoot, and what for?

I shoot paper. Mostly. I shoot because I find the act of launching projectiles out of a metal tube via the rapid combustion of energetic materials to be entertaining.

I have also hunted, but not as much as I would like. Venison is delicious and being outdoors is fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

I would like to come shoot your guns.

Derek's already said I can have a ride in his Tesla. I could make a road trip out of it.

Maybe I could hang out with Kayak, too. I hope that Beet Wagon guy doesn't try to tag along.

Come to MD and we can make that happen.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I shoot paper and steel. Once in a blue moon, deer. What's your setup? I'll share mine:

Deer / Paper (big holes): Remington R700 5R Milspec, Vortex Viper PST 4-14 50mm obj.
Deer / Paper (many holes): Remington 870 Marine Magnum SS with Trijicon Tritium sights, SBE follower, LE extension.
Rodent / Paper (small holes): Ruger 10/22 SS, Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot, TechSights TSR200 irons

And, I'll be grabbing a P226 in the upcoming months.

Nice. I have a SA 1911 and Ruger Mark III for putting holes in paper that gets too close, a Mossberg 590A1 for putting multiple holes in paper, a Saiga 12 for the occasion when I find myself surrounded by paper, a SKS for shooting communist paper, and I'm building an AR-15 with a 20" bull barrel, Magpul PRS, Stag Arms lower, AP upper, and SWFA SS 10X42 for paper that is foolish to stand around in the distance.

Occasionally I also get to shoot clay, which is a ton of fun with a magazine fed riot gun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

I shoot deer, with bow and arrows. My ratio of "Cost of arrows lost" to "Poud of venison eaten" indicate i should find a less costly hobby, but when you eat the wood fire cooked sweetbreads of a deer you just shot (after, like, 10 opportunites in the last 2 years) everything feel right with the world.

Still more cost effective than Internet spaceships. I only went hunting once but it was such an awesome experience that I would love to go again. Unfortunately the land I went hunting on stopped doing hunts.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Ok. Basic cookies are done.

Here is the entry level cook:

Now this one, this is your best cook for your money. It's got sprinkles.

If you aren't a space plebe you're gonna want to have this next cookie. (Only 5,000 available)

*fake edit* Beer, is this an acceptable entry for the challenge?!?!?!

Nine cookies to go, plus the recipe.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

You went for the final refund?

Nope. Just sold my last giftable ship. I have no idea how much they would refund me for.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically wouldn't the SKS be for shooting capitalist pigdog paper?

I do it ironically.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

I'm in PA, about 45 minutes west of both Philly and NYC. MD is no problem. We could do this.

Works for me. I actually have family near Philly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

This is not for CIG, right?

I'm salty, not psychotic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kakarot posted:

whats between the mash and turkey?

Looks like potato salad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Did I complete the mod challenge?

Witness me!

Yes. We'll see who gets banned on Sunday.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

I have my suspicions. As in none of the three you mentioned will do it. :(

Anyone who takes the challenge can get banned.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You get increasing probations before an eventual ban, according to the post about it.

That has since been edited to give us more leeway, but basically.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am sure that Star Marine will be as successful, engaging, and polished as every other CIG release and backers will set expectations accordingly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tokamak posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5fqnxj/prediction_multicrew_ships_filled_with_nonnpc/?limit=500

You have (un)wittingly stumbled onto one of the games fundamental flaws, and have disturbed the hornets...

Solution: pretend that people will want to roleplay and do the sub optimal thing of staring at a shields management screen on someone else's ship vs. being the captain of their own NPC crewed ship and having strength in numbers.

There's a lot of things that don't hold up to meaningful scrutiny. The whole concept of multicrew ships is one of them. CIG has had multicrew stuff out for over a year and they still haven't done anything meaningful to make the gameplay engaging.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Variable 5 posted:

Sold most of my ships in the summer of 2014, then got a refund for about half of what was left a few months ago. They wanted to keep some money in ships I had had upgraded to LTI, but I made them send them to the person that did the upgrade for me instead, since getting a refund meant losing your account.

That person was me! Conveniently enough the transaction was done in the same email chain that brought us all that insight into the Wonderful World of Sandi.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Variable 5 posted:

I wasn't gonna dox you, Steve

oh poo poo

MODS??!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Decrepus posted:

Moma is a funny and good poster and his chastisement of beer was so powerful I would be surprised if Beer didn't spit blood and almost die.

I was chastised?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Meridian posted:

Okay, why is the build called Evocati? It bothers me.

It's not. The Evocati refer to the backers who have signed a NDA and are permitted early access to builds as a result of their steadfast dedication to reporting bugs. Once something leaves Evocati it goes to the PTU, which is for backers who play enough for CIG to notice (or I think are subscribers). Once the build leaves PTU it goes out to everyone so that they too can experience the wonders of a pre-alpha build.

This is open development.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Corvettes, frigates, etc why the emphasis on using outdated (c.2946) naval ship terminology? Oh right, the creative bankruptcy.

But really, after a point all these military spacecraft are just spacey spaceships. The class system doesn't exist so CIGs classing is arbitrary. More importantly the game dynamics don't exist for all the different specialized "roles" they talk about.

The vision was broken from the beginning. They were never going to be able to make a good game. The capabilities of the game they wanted to make are impressive, too bad they don't have the talent/the technology simply doesn't exist.

Outdated naval terminology is used in Star Citizen because Chris Roberts used it in Wing Commander.

Chris Roberts used it in Wing Commander because George Lucas used it in Star Wars.

George Lucas used it in Star Wars because he had stylistically chosen to make space combat modeled after WW2.

So yeah, creative bankruptcy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

I'm willing to give them a pass on that one. Its too much ingrained in modern science fiction( many of the writers having served in the military) that space assets are classified like wet navy ships.

Ship class have always been arbitrary and vary by nations. During the napoleonic era, the USA where building "frigates" that where vastly superior in tonnage and guns to what the french and british navy called "frigate". Even today, look at the new USN Zumwalt, that "Destroyer" displace 14,798 tons while a WW2 light cruiser (Uss Astoria, Cl-90 for example) displaced 14,358 t and a WW2 destoryer displaced only about 2500 tons.

You're right. It's really not that big of a deal, and since you have to call these things something you might as well go with the trope.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So if I understand things right, Derek is saying that Star Marine isn't in the Evocati build, but MoMA is saying that Derek is wrong because the Evocati build apparently includes the Star Marine files that are playable if you somehow hack the client similar to what people did years ago when the Illfonic stuff was accessible?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

The best way of understanding it is this:

MoMMA likes posh shoes
Derek has expressed no preference on shoes

MoMA go post in the shoe thread. You'll like it there.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Theory posted:

It's pointless bickering since neither of them have provable information. We should just wait a week, then it will be out for all the backers I'm sure.

I agree, but I feel like it's important to know the subtle nuances associated with each argument.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

All fiction requires a certain amount of making poo poo up. And there are few original ideas that someone didn't come up with beforehand. Declaring something as an unoriginal derivative work is as old as Shakespeare. The consumer can either accept that and relax, or can sperg out and post about it on the internet.

In other words, ripping off ideas from older sci-fi is the least of CR's problems.

True. But it's still fun to bitch about it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Beer-evocati are playing and testing it right now. Derek is saying it's not even in there.

Proof?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is there an eye roll emote?

You know I can't show it Beer.

:jerkbag:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen. Open Development... if you're MoMA.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I will :toxx: my account that Derek can't provide definitive proof that he can log in and play on the evocati server, cause I'm 100% sure he's full of poo poo.

Quoting because I can.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Man, if only Chris had delivered his magnum opus two years ago and not six months after this drops. Assuming they don't delay again.

Which they will.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hello darkness my old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238

• Locked thread