Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Caught up with the thread, and the clusterfuck that is Parp Shitizen.

I put a sizeable amount of money into Elite: Dangerous, mainly for nostalgia reasons as I played the gently caress out of Elite and Frontier, and I've been a little frustrated at how Elite has developed over the past couple of years, in that it's still a very shallow game.

I believe the phrase is "a mile wide but an inch deep."

Still, I'll take that over "an inch wide and picometres deep."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Nellistos posted:

Would anyone PM a lurkpleb the solution to the puzzle?
Or the encoded message + "salt"?
Can't stop reading and F5ing until i know...

Derek please be safe.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Same, but that's mostly because the alternative is looking at my taxes.

Same, but mostly because the alternative is waiting for more information from Oculus on when Rifts are going to start bloody shipping.

//edit: Cat says hello

GazChap fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 3, 2016

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
An old college buddy of mine who I don't really talk to much any more started working for Foundry 42 here in the UK a while back.

I keep wanting to ask him for the latest info on what's going on, but I haven't really talked to him much since leaving college (I'm a terrible friend) and it'd somehow seem off.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
No catering so I guess Ben is a definite no-show.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

spacetoaster posted:

So here's a thing someone made to show off their jpg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOzmer7Wurc

So he's the guy keeping VirtuaGirl in business.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Does Ben only have one goddamn shirt?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
http://isstarcitizenreleasedyet.co

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Most low-maintenance website ever.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
did someone say that squadron42thegame.com hadn't been registered?

oops

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

TTerrible posted:

Redirect it to this thread, just like http://www.wingcommanderthemovie.com/
Is this thread open to the public?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
http://isstarcitizenreleasedyet.co updated with current status.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Gravity_Storm posted:

Roberts. Is. A. Genius. I'm guessing 4D VR.

So that's why the game runs at 15fps all the time, it's constantly rendering 4 viewpoints so that when humans evolve another two eyes they can still experience the game in it's full fidelitous glory.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
CryEngine source code now available on Github

What we need now is for some enterprising nerd to take this and make Star Citizen, by him/herself, in 6 months.

With or without water effects, I'm easy on that one.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Tippis posted:

The man truly is pathologically incapable of not bringing up Wing Commander.

Seek help Ben. Multiple instances of help.
In his defence, he has tried. It just takes 25 minutes to get into the first psych's instance and then all his progress is lost by the time he gets into the next one.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

This would only be a problem for Stephen Hawking, right? I mean, any sane person that wanted to talk to someone in sentences longer than that would just use some form of voice communications, right?

Don't tell me that voice communications aren't planned for Star Citizen.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

That timeline on the bottom seems like a scarily accurate representation of their pre-alpha/alpha/beta/gold process ;)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Slow_Moe posted:

I like the landing gear extending at the end. Like some kind of absurd fencing response.
ED209 trying to get up off the stairs in the original Robocop, innit?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Pointy posted:

No, that's the gif of Ben getting off the couch
Dead or alive, I'll be cumming on you - #16,384

A real quote from Ben Lesnick, Developer - or not?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Edit: Interesting thing is they dropped "N" just a couple hours previously.
Why are they storing user data in Program Files and not the cunningly named UserData folder, like pretty much everything else does these days?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Perhaps they're not classifications in the way we think.

"Goons" could be their code word for the Evocati.

"High Maintenance" could be those who are submitting so many bug reports that the bugsmashers are having to do extra high code maintenance to fix them.

"Snowflake" could be the super-super-sekrit test group assigned to receive the first alphas of the procedural generation - after all, next to birds, what better thing to procedurally generate than snowflakes?

You're seeing it all wrong!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
What if by Best drat Space Sim Ever, they don't mean Space, but more the void of no-content that we're currently faced with? You can't deny that it's a drat good simulation of that.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I've just realised that we all talk about Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) but that their website and the ToS all refer to Roberts Space Industries (RSI)

What's the connection between these? I mean, I know they're all part of the same group, but is CIG part of RSI or the other way around?

Presumably there's no way they could argue that you can't have any refunds from CIG because you've not given any money to CIG or whatever?

And that new ToS is as shady as hell. What was that link to that "How to get a refund" guide so I can slap it on isstarcitizenreleasedyet.co ?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

peter gabriel posted:

When my space tits were going bezerk in outer space I simply ran through the walls to get out of the wank pod into the cool night air, so I don't know. The game presumed I had a suit on because I was outside I guess lol, and Captain Fizzytits was born
If that is how it works, that makes the airlock thing even more insane - if the "game" knows you're outside enough to give you jetnips, it should know whether you've got a suit on.

I've not seen a trainwreck this big since I engineered a multi-track pileup across the entire screen in Transport Tycoon.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Yep, Chris stated in the most recent 10ftc that by patch 2.7 there would be procedural planets, a fully fleshed out Stanton star system, the nyx landing zone, and seamless integration with the social module. All by the end of this year.
It took them near enough a week after the release of 2.4 to their "Evocati" group or whatever the hell it was called to move some plants around the hangar.

I can't see this happening ;)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Welp, looks like my old college mate is still working for them then (stood to the right of the man behind Crobbler)

Can't tell if he looks happy or not.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Which would win in a fight for a Razzie award?

Gods of Egypt or Squadron 42?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I wonder if Crobberts based the Star Citizen roadmap on Spaghetti Junction in the UK? Would certainly explain a few things.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Barn Folk posted:

I find it very funny that the only serious content they can produce is jpegs screen printed on a tee shirt made by a third party.
They're not screen printed, because presumably that wouldn't be fidelitous enough for Crobbler. They're embroidered, which for a patch that size seems crazy.

Mind you, if there's one thing CIG excel at it's producing unnecessarily large patches.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
hay guys I gave CIG RSI :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: to get into the game and now my computer looks like this.

lesson learned lol, i should have known that CRs quest for fidleity would mean i'd have to upgrade.

oh well, just spent $8000 on a beast of a rig, should be arriving next week. see you in the 'verse!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
2.5 is looking pretty drat sweeeeet :nws:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
New stretch goal announced!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Disheartened to see that my old college buddy is featured in that latest Around the Verse video or whatever it's called, thought he might have gotten out :(

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Here is the fun part of the episode where after another boring as hell retread of latter animations and ship refactoring Chris goes on a flappy hand rant about all the dynamic gameplay scenarios he's envisioning and how its all really coming together now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_NkFtAAPY&t=1149s

130 million US loving dollars and they can't find somewhere to record their stupid propaganda videos that doesn't make them sound like they're shouting into a toilet bowl.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

trucutru posted:

Do something funny with "Sandi Claws", I got nothing.
Sandi's claws are conning the brown (sea)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Was that lovely "Galactic Tour" thing at the start created specifically for this livestream, or are they going to be using that in the eventual "game"?

Great use of their resources, either way. Let's make some terrible Jeremy Clarkson knock-off instead of making the game that people have paid us upwards of $130m for.

Took a look at their "roadmap" too - looks like bollocks. One bit in particular got me inquisitive though - under Network is "Serialized Variable (Stretch Goal)" - what the hell is that?

Surely they've not made it a stretch goal and a specific element of the roadmap to be able to serialize data being transmitted across the network?

--

Oh, and where's SQ42? If Star Marine is an FPS, and SQ42 is an FPS, why are they not pooling resources and using the same engine for both etc.?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

orcinus posted:

Christ Robertsed by: Chris Roberts
Chris Roberts: Chris Roberts
Featuring Chris Roberts, guest starring as Chris Roberts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-tuY0Z7nQ

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
My wife and I have just rescued a 4 week old catte that was abandoned in a hedge :3:

//edit: holy tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Gah, I've found myself in an argument on r/EliteDangerous of all places about SC's planetary "tech".

Why did I bother.

• Locked thread