Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Ag Bengip posted:

Yeah, the idea is absolutely baffling. It seems like, for some reason (it's :spergin:), CR really wants to display exactly what your dumb eyes would perceive in the scene, thereby leaving your brain with a ton of processing and the consequent platform for motion sickness. Good developers, who understand how to make a pleasantly playable game, emulate the final, material experience, because they know that half-arsed sensory immersion (the only level of sensory immersion available on consumer hardware) is worse than no immersion at all.

human eyeballs compensate for head movement. try looking at something and nod or shake your head, the image stays stable.

cig needs to put the camera in the eyes and then model eye movement in relation to head movement then we're all good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Amarcarts posted:

They accidentally left the cameras on at CIG after the livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqnrJsyoRY

Merry Christmas

Kubrick, Tarantino, Spielberg, Amarcarts.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

The best moment this year was when goons found a racehorse named Star Citizen presumably bought by the swedish mafia who presumably gets a cut from CIG.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

He can't even finish writing a sentence without adding features first.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

lol if you think they haven't tried to remove the headbob. It's some kind of bug/defect from their engine hacking and they can't get rid of it. I believe 'grabby hands' was the same and they played it up until it never appeared again.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Basically CIG just tries to make poo poo and whatever appears they call it a feature until it disappears. Remember jukes? That was for sure some mid-stage animation work and it looked like people were juking so they called it that and now the entire thing is where?

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

The early pre "FPS" builds didn't have the same level of outrageously awful headbob, same for the ships with parkinsons sitting there jittering around even when standing still.

so poo poo got worse the more they hacked it

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I think with that news I'm going to call it now that SQ42 will be an inferior Farcry/Crysis maybe using the exact same everything plus whatever assets they have already built. When you go 'into space' for mission it just loads whatever arena commander/2.0 is, after some shoddy space combat you watch a cutscene and come back to Farcry mode to walk around some more.

That would be their plan, but none of that will be made. They'll build enough for more ads and trailers and drag SQ42 on for as long as possible just like the PU.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Just imagine if your life comprised of telling people you own a Rolex, mini-meltdowns because it doesn't work, then rolling with the punches to do it all over again.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

When they start burning all the yt/twitch evidence/links G0RF will be the most important man just like Fahrenheit 451.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

hes had several videos showing off his work on the local physics grid bits inside ships. So he's probably literally to thank for all those times you just suddenly get ejected through the floor and flung out in to space.

Do these videos show him typing and editing code, or are they just of him saying that he worked on 'this'?

At this point I don't think I believe Chris Roberts knows anything about computers, I don't even believe he made Wing Commander 1 besides tell some ideas to his programming friends.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

It does a few things:

- Purges all refund requests that they were going to deny anyway. They are hoping that anyone who was in the queue for a refund won't bother to try again.
- Purges anything and everything to do with store purchases, unmelts, whatever, for the same reason.
- Effectively kills the argument that replying to emails like Beer's is what is causing the backups. Now they're not backed up! It's no longer an issue!

Also there is no way Sandi only responded to Beer's emails like that, she probably responded to thousands(lol) of backers personally and after the 'reset' they can just claim that any email screen shots from this point on are made up.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I love that the very first image, which should be the biggest/best attention grabber, are 2 empty seats.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Hey cig, which ships have you guys been working on??

Oh we've been working on deciding which ships we should be working on...and...yea.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

if you really think about it, a game is just pipelines all the way down

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

oh gently caress the horse is real isn't it

edit: let me try it this way:
*phone rings in A country*
Hej?
no, no refunds this month.
*hangs up*

HKS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 14, 2016

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

Everyone who has been denied a refund should go here:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1

I'm filing an FTC complaint, how's this sound for the comments:

"Cloud Imperium Games has taken over $105 Million in sales, selling game content ranging from $35 to $15,000.
Over 90% of the content they sold have not been delivered after 3 years of development.
When I tried to get a refund they said nope and now I need your help."

edit: make it simpler so a gov drone will actually want to help

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Is there even a single person on Earth not named John Carmack who understands games AND programming at a level that can make SC?

Like Derek spent his entire life trying to do it, and he skipped all pretense of fidelity or playability to try and get there and he still cannot.

The fact that people think Croberts can do it is hilarious.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

why do people think that Erin Roberts is some magical savior manager who would actually produce a good game but that his mean old brother is holding him back?

because they are in the bargaining phase.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Lol, I stopped bargaining when I withdrew all my cash and got extra, tyvm. This project is hosed beyond repair by this point IMO. I just think his approach is legit moreso solid than that of CR, at least from what little one can see of Foundry 42, but hey :shrug: maybe he's an rear end in a top hat with ties to the Uppsala mafia or whatevs.

I'm glad you are better. I myself went through all 7 stages and I never put in a cent, it's very easy to get caught up in this game.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

In my spare time I like to read really stupid poo poo. These are words from a future god/soul entity (lol) about cults that really struck me as describing Star Citizen:

'The inner mechanics of emotion and belief are complicated, but these are individuals who feel that physical life has failed them. They are powerless in society. They think in black and white, and conflicts between their emotions, and their beliefs about their emotions, lead them to seek some kind of shelter in a rigid belief system that will give them rules to go by.

Such systems lead to the formation of cults, and the potential members seek out a leader who will serve their purposes as surely as they seem to serve his.'

'When people are convinced that the self is untrustworthy, for whatever reasons, or that the universe is not safe, then instead of luxuriating in the use of their abilities, exploring the physical and mental environments, they begin to pull in their realities - to contract their abilities, to overcontrol their environments. They become frightened people - and frightened people do not want freedom, mental or physical. They want shelter, a definite set of rules. They want to be told what is good and bad. They lean toward compulsive behavior patterns. They seek out leaders -political, scientific, or religious - who will order their live for them.'

HKS fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 25, 2016

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I love that posters here have to constantly mention their work, family, hobbies, or something just as reminder they are productive Earth citizens and not a Star Citizen.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I mean I found myself doing it too. Mostly from the guilt of reading this thread all day most days.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would love to know the true story of the drink machine/entertainment rack write up for the Starliner.

Had to have been a troll by some employee that didn't give a gently caress and at their wits end. Handed it in, expected to be shitcanned but then was probably rewarded for his efforts.

Not just 'some employee', pretty sure all the mini-game ideas and role pipeline planning came from top employee Tony Zurovec who is another Roberts crony and probably as useful as Erin Roberts.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

mrking posted:

Chris had to fulfill his life long dream of directing A-List actors before the money ran out?

You mean fulfill his life long dream as soon as the money started coming in.

I am positive that if Gorf does research on the mocap timeline, we will find that CR bought and paid for mocap equipment/actors/Imaginarium maybe two to three times over before the infamous 'early days' talk of figuring out gameplay elements.

CR basically hired crytek to build a tech demo, then hired Turbulent to make the website, and went straight into mocap.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

It's fun to look at their stretch goals if you haven't in awhile:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

basically every single thing is made up. Between $3,750,000 and $4,000,000 they promised 4 new star systems, modding tools, and increased SQ42 from 35 missions to 45.

All that for $250,000? just lol that all they did was buy 100 tables from restoration hardware because they are just starting on SQ42 mission ONE today.

HKS fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 29, 2016

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

Also CIG dumped $25? million into Foundry 42 which is now the largest of the studios. This may be an "all-in" play to get Squadron 42 out the door and indeed Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 PU is going to take a backseat until SQ42 is finished. SQ42 allegedly has no playable missions yet, which would explain why nothing playable was shown to PG Gamer at the end of December.

also don't forget EightAce very strongly hinted that it was the LAST $25 million and not 'just' $25 million.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

So I've never played a Crysis or a FarCry but I bet their <USE> action is contextual, and so the F42 team is just actually making a video game now and Chris is just getting his mind blown.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I feel very glad in my heart for the people who got out several months ago during the last helicopter out of Hanoi days.

Cmon Sandi let a few more helicopters out

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

production management suite mainly used for (this is not a joke) film/tv

this HAS to be a joke I can't

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

You can't entirely blame Fuzzy for naming those games though. In CR's pitches he does paint a picture of a game that hearken back to those days and those games.

Except he then did everything wrong and then we are here today.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

For every darkarchon there's like a hundred goons sitting on their $35/$45 base packages or whatever being spineless and mush mouthed saying things like 'heh this $45 offered more entertainment than any other game!!'

If you all would action chargebacks too someone might actually notice, and no paypal is not going to shut down your accounts have you done any adult things??

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Here's what I would do:

ask for refund and get verbal garbage letter from cig.

attach letter, attach newest video of cig show saying they are implementing shops.

type: hello I bought a game in 2012, they said it would be finished in 2014. There's no game yet in 2016, but they made a cash shop to buy more things in the game. I think it is a scam. I would like my money back. can you help me?

Then it is up to your bank/pp/cc to seek those charges and then they will talk to CIG and hopefully realize their bs.

If it works you are out if it doesn't at least you tried? What are we afraid of here being banned by CIG to purchase the game later when it actually comes out?

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Also admitting such things is the first step towards recovery. I believe in you Sarsapariller.

If anything it was a brave thing to do, and hopefully it will serve as an example for other new or old goons to admit how much they spent and start on their own road to recovery.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Yo Derek, what's your take on that tech demo they debuted with the guy flying a ship from space to quantum travel to aero flight over a planet? How much of it is BS and how much is capable of being transplanted into the PU?

lol

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I figure there is some level of bullshit, or it's designed so separately these completely different chunks of code are totally incompatible, but reddit keeps suggesting I'm not a game designer, so I'm asking the one which has been conveniently placed in front of me.

Also Derek, as a frequent maker of stuff, I can say critics and creators are really not that far apart. If I'm not critical of my work, it'll suck. If people aren't critical of what I do, what I make won't be worth having.

Isn't that basically the Crobberts problem? Isn't that why we hate Lesnick and Sandi and all the other shitheads the CIG Marketing team puts in front of us? You can't seriously lead the CIG criticism charge and also not be willing to take criticism on your own game. LOD's got its problems. No hate, you do what you love, but there's usually good reasons why unpopular things are unpopular.

Please read the thread, he not only said it was complete bs when the trailer was first released he explained why technically.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

also you don't need his reply to figure this out. just think about it with your brain. like forreal.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Do you actually read the 1000 posts per day thread? I have poo poo to do. My bad for missing something from two months ago in this 2000+ page thread. Also, I wasn't referring to the trailer. I was referring to the live(?) Cryengine demo some technical guy was running. It looked pretty functional, but this is CIG we're talking about so who loving knows. It probably isn't even the same application

"i got poo poo to do" coming from a man posting on a paid internet forum asking about a demo from a fake game from a fake company while also cross examining and asking questions on reddit.

very weak.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

sorry Napoleon I'm feeling very bitchy today, i think the news of CIG banning based on PMs really got to me.

I MAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

In order to reduce toxicity CIG has to start telling truths, but they cannot. For one the truth fucks any and all customers who spent over $60 but also because they are scumbags from the very top down minus the actual workers.

Since their MO is to tell more lies, this will end exactly how EightAce predicts.

• Locked thread