Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Nickiepoo posted:

I wanted to argue with this but I literally couldn't think of a single one. Closest is stuff like FTL but that's really just 'open the door and see which designed encounter you get'.
FTL's encounters aren't designed (beyond the boss), there's a random set of weapons/defenses/etc that opponents draw from which fits the definition of procedurally generated pretty well. Roguelikes use procedural generation if you're into that sort of thing. Left 4 Dead was pretty fun. The Civ series has always used it well, same with XCom. But yeah the core gameplay has to be fun.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It is good and healthy to keep your expectations in check, except when it comes to Star Citizen's demise. It will be fireworks and magic and it will happen all at once, with a gigantic crater left in its wake.
nah a bad game will be released and bad add-ons will trickle out and the backers will defend it while privately being disappointed with their purchases and everyone else will point out how bad it is while privately being disappointed that it came out at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Is Smart suing goons yet or is that still to come?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Has dsmart ever actually successfully sued anyone or is it all :gary:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Nemo2342 posted:

If your litigation boner lasts more than two weeks, please see a doctor.

FiX YOUR POST :gary:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

this guy sounds smart, maybe he left the company on his own, chasing the dragon of another kickstarted project
I like that he authored an sph fluid simulation for a loving mini-game, seems like a solid use of smartguy's time

wyoak fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 2, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

Again I don't know anything about her spending money on luxary products for herself or anything like this, but this project raising $94MM in preorders has nothing to do with Sandy. The people buying into this are buying into a dream that Chris Roberts created and sold to them. Sandys title can be whatever she wants it to be, it doesn't mean she is responsible for what that actual job is supposed to do. She is certainly overpaid for what she actually contributes because she is the bosses wife, and that is why they tried to keep this information a secret for so long, because she obviously not qualified for her high level position, and it shows.
I dunno poo poo about how the company runs day to day but the fact that people are still throwing money at them with no product means marketing is doing something well. if you work for CIG then I'll take your word that the head of marketing and PR isn't doing any marketing or PR but I dunno why people are so eager to throw her under the bus despite selling being the only thing that this company can demonstrably do well

it's like they're waiting for this to crash, blame it on sandi, then CR will come back with another pipe dream and people will throw money at him again because the witch is dead and she was what was really holding it all back

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

The marketing is all word of mouth among a community of spergs and their friends. There aren't new people getting involved in this. Its the same goofy morons buying new jpegs every time they come out. Sandi isn't doing anything to motivate these sales, she just happens to hold the title of the person who is usually responsible for marketing.
Most companies have to pay for their street team, they got people to pay them to do it, seems like a marketing win to me.
If a product was actually coming out this would be a marketing masterclass, they've already got a massive base of loyal customers and a good amount of name recognition

Letting CR write that rant was a PR disaster but hey even multi-billion dollar startups make tonedeaf moves like that

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 4, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

Im not saying they don't have a great word of mouth thing going for them, just that it has nothing to do with anything Sandi did. My only point is she isn't qualified for her job, and any success of the company isn't because of her marketing strategies.
and my point is that unless you're involved with the day to day operations at CIG how the hell do you know

like maybe an exec with more degrees and less vaginas would've generated 200 million by now?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

Why are you making this about gender?
fair enough, strike the vaginas comment from the record
:gary:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

people arguing over DS/CR lawsuits are living in the same world as people arguing over space insurance adjusters

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

TTerrible posted:

It always, always comes back to Sandis ego. Every single thing :psyduck:
yeah if it wasn't for Sandi the game would be finished

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Plankalkuel posted:

You can actually see, where the high-detailed and hand-crafted terrain starts poking through the less detailed noise map:

why is this bad? were people were expecting them to hand-craft the whole planet?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I first thought they were flying out over an ocean
It might not look as good as people want but people seem to be saying that the high-detail to low-detail transition means this doesn't count as a planetary landing for some reason or I'm misunderstanding the argument

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can see that, but it's so very telling that they come to that conclusion before thinking "what if they just want money"

when this ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean, the list of contact details to their customers will by far be the most valuable thing to go on auction

not their stupid furniture

It's brilliant by CIG, they'll get a couple of suckers to put more money in because of the policy, then they'll reverse the policy to the accolades of their fans who will give them more money for 'listening'

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CrazyLoon posted:

You know, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the two aren't actually somehow linked. Not sure how but, the timing really is rather surreptitious.
Unless CIG is really dumb they knew DS's lawsuits were as real as their game

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

InfoRedux is working on a story. Or something.

InfoRedux needs to hire an editor

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

what in the world is happening here? is there a separate model for when the ship is damaged or something?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They've engineered themselves into a corner with all the ship-selling, too. Is finishing the game even in their best interest?
it's certainly in their best interest to never finish it, once it's finished they'll have to sell the game instead of ~DREAMS~

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dapper Dan posted:

If he thinks 10 hours of his writing will show them his genius, he is even more deluded than his whales.

Also Sandi's attachment to Roberts fucks her over because he is forever dead in Hollywood. There is pretty much one sin that is impossible to forgive: breaking a contract. Nobody is going to work with him or help anyone attached to him in any way. And she is a complete unknown in addition to that.
Most of Hollywood doesn't give a poo poo about genius writing, CR's movie pitch should just be that he'll get backers to pay for distribution.

Contract disputes and lawsuits aren't uncommon in Hollywood, I doubt that's really as big a thing as the fact that Ascendant's movies never made any money.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

Other than the Escapist, has this debacle been discussed on any of the big podcasts in the last couple months or so? I'm not caught up with either of the bombcasts or C&Crowbar but have they or anyone else mentioned this at all recently?
There's not alot to actually report unless you have new sources of information. It's fun to make fun of stuff on a message board but an actual discussion would be real boring to people not familiar with it, and without an ending it's kind of a half story. Every article that comes out reads like those informationredux blurbs that just rehash the last couple months with bad spelling and grammar.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

dangerously close to self awareness, pull up

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

nopantsjack posted:

It is kind of ridiculous that the gaming press dogpiled Peter Molyneux into crying and losing his sense of self-worth but none of them have so much as glanced at the most entertaining fuckup of the past 3 years: Msr Chris Roberts.
At some point this is all going to collapse and they'll tear the whole thing apart like piranhas and then a year later they'll have retconned history with them having always been skeptical and critical of the whole thing.

I guess its a fools game to hope Germing Jurnalists will be anything better than insipid but RPS and PCgamer used to love this kind of drama, I'd like to know why they seem so cautious about broaching the issue, whether they just copy/paste press releases without watching Chris play his own game or whether the rabid fans give them pause.
There's no real story unless they get some new sources, rehashing messageboard drama is bad journalism even by gaming standards

And Molyneux has a longer and more storied history of broken promises than Roberts could ever hope for

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dude's trolling

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

serious norman posted:

Will you be able to tame a bird and keep it as a pet?
Will you be able to tame birds and have them lay eggs and is there an egg cooking minigame and can I be an omelet spacechef with a roachcoach spaceship?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Renegret posted:

I enjoy the thought that some people take this game so seriously that they seriously read every single post in this thread trying to stay on top of what goons are up to.

Not even we read the entire thread, everyone just skips to the most recent post and reads the last few to catch up.
not that i don't appreciate the people making the highlight reels, but goons are basically doing the same thing on the CIG/reddit forums

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Wafflz posted:

I like the way everything stops for second while the game figures out what the gently caress to do
instead of intertia they just gave all the ships adhesive landing gear, it takes a second for the tape to peel off the landing pad

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dapper Dan posted:

This was only because Blizzard has billions of dollars backing it so they could retain creative control. I mean, if you've got a billion dollars, gently caress it, they'll take your money, sure. Even if this movie is good and makes a billion dollars (it won't be good, lets be real. Orc baby Moses), Hollywood will still regard them as beneath them simply because they are the competition.
Hollywood isn't some aristocratic regime that laughs at the banality of video games between bites of caviar and sips of champagne. Hollywood likes money, period. 75% of the poo poo the big studios spew out these days is based on comic books or YA fiction. They're not 'above' video games - they just haven't figured out how to make them predictably profitable yet, but they certainly aren't adverse to trying. I mean, there's a goddamn Angry Birds movie coming out.

From that perspective Roberts is correct - if SC/SQ42 somehow became the hit that the most vocal backers expect it to be (the biggest video game ever!) and the IP had significant value as a brand, a movie deal would be inevitable.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

And I finally have a reply to Cr getting an SA account : "Get a life"

i agree with cig on this one

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

I'm really looking forward to such revolutionary, never before seen stuff such as 'move down a corridor' and 'get shouted at by an npc'

grenades and cover too! i hope there's space crates in this game

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Lord of War is a pretty good movie, ergo Star Citizen is destined to be a rousing success

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Toops posted:

On the plus side, this kind of 3d fidelity will surely smooth out Sandi's deep, crevasse-like wrinkles, acquired through a lifetime of musculo-facial kegel-like exercises which can only be described as "scowling bitch-face."
you've got a weird obsession with her
unless I'm thinking of another goon itt

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

immersion is frequently losing all control of your character

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can you imagine how much money they would have made if they hired Olivia Munn instead of Olivia Munn on meth? 150 mill easy.

Also can you imagine being on of the guys who programmed the Crytek engine having to look at Roberts' code vomit that he puts out nightly?

lol Roberts isn't coding anything

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

drat Dirty Ape posted:

To be honest, I think it is going to get ugly no matter what happens. Even if Star Citizen turns out to be an expertly made video game(lol), it will still not be enough to meet the insane expectations the fanbase has for it. I mean, people get unreasonably angry over a normal $50 video game. What do you think they will do when they've sunk thousands of dollars into it? I'd feel bad for CIG for these insane expectations on a video game but it's pretty much all their fault.
If the game sucks it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons
If CIG goes bankrupt it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons
If the game is OK but people get their ships rammed it's gonna be blamed on DS and goons

CIG's in the clear here

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rudager posted:

This paragraph quoting CR sounds suuupppeerr scummy.

"You can't get your money back, it's now up to our discretion what we do with your money"
welcome to crowdfunding, all of the risks of real investing with none of the rewards

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Guys we don't need a letter from the FTC to know that DSmart is a loon

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

Sure. It's semantics and wordplay. The main issue is that they're trying to hold it up as some kind of mark of distinction, when the exact same wordplay and semantic shift is applied to the supposed competition, SC doesn't really have those “extremely large expanses.” Compared to the equally seamless EVE and E:D, it's positively tiny.
Can you travel between stations at not-warp speed? I dunno why anyone would but wondering if it's possible

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

This thread has gone downhill (except pgabz), needs more videos and less message board reposting
More :gary: less armchair psychology
Just my opinion

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

alphabettitouretti posted:

the Wing Commander movie was far superior than what we got. So I tend to think that FOX tried to change the Wing Commander movie because they didn't want it to compete with Star Wars (remember Episode 1 came out that same year).

Maybe I was wrong about reposts, this is a pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

well, he's not entirely wrong

• Locked thread