Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

grimcreaper posted:

I have been trying to wrap my head around some of the posts ive read on the RSI forums and the only thing ive come out of it with is a headache. They somehow think their Space Immersion(TM) will last a minimum of 10 years. Some are even claiming it will be The ONLY game they will play for DECADES!
It makes sense, the only people who want proven-to-be crap like slow movement, unskippable animations, and tedious microtasking are people who haven't played any games for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A buddy of mine has a DK2 and he said Alien: Isolation was almost too intense

Which makes me realize that if I was a crewmember on the Nostromo I woulda shot myself out of an airlock as soon as the chestburster popped out

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MeLKoR posted:

Furthermore, the Star Citizen community must be destroyed.
nah

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
people seem to focus on Sandi more than Chris which is weird to me since Chris is most important clown but I guess there's more funny stuff that's leaked about her?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
nice, cig implementing some survival horror gameplay now too

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

iron buns posted:

^This. Elite at least tries to get it right with the glowing heat vents, but realistically all space ships should have huge heat radiator surfaces that fold out when the weapons are fired.
yeah but do they fold out so they're perpendicular to the nearest star? checkmate, CR told me in a dream SC's would

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Berious posted:

Trouble is if a woman gets more popular with cultists the lich queen would have her done away with. You'd cost an innocent person their job. If they're working at CIG they probably don't have many great options to hand.
lol when did this happen

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

fuzzknot posted:

Story of my loving life. In my stagehand days, I was one of only a small percentage of female stagehands. Then one day this young woman showed up at one of the venues on her first gig ever, and she wanted to get more work. She started sucking up to the stage manager until she managed to become the assistant stage manager despite not being remotely qualified for the job. She had even successfully ousted the (female) former assistant stage manager out of her job.

Next thing you know, no female stagehands—specifically, no young and/or reasonably attractive female stagehands—were receiving calls for work. It turned out that the new assistant stage manager was deliberately not calling any female stagehands for work, not because we were unqualified, but because she was so desperately insecure and threatened by the presence of other females in the male-dominated industry. She just wanted all their attention on herself.

The other female stagehands and I complained to HR, but since no one could prove anything, nothing came of it. I said gently caress it and got a real job.

Anyway, I thought of that story instantly when I heard about Sandi's alleged extreme jealousy. Given the cash, that little rear end kissing bitch of an assistant stage manager (who STILL isn't doing her job right, from what I hear) could be the next Sandi.

patriarchy working as designed

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

alf_pogs posted:

hypothetically, if sandi had zero involvement in this game, do you think it would it be finished (albeit closer to the original scope) by now?

Lol no
And there's people (ITT even) deluded enough that when this crashes out and CR comes back in two years without Sandi they'll give him money again because she was the problem

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Free Matilda imo

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
GhostOfSatoshi is a bad Reddit poster
Much like all Reddit posters I guess

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

fuctifino posted:

My -100 comment karma confirms your statement, but to be fair, I didn't join Reddit to be a good poster.
Ah I didn't realize that was you (although I guess the highlighted name was a hint)
You come off as a bit of a dsmart lackey

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

fuctifino posted:

Check my post history. I often state that I don't follow Derek, don't play his games and just regard him as another poster in this thread (which is true). I also regularly remind the redditor cultists that I've been mocking SC since 2012, and Derek only started posting here last year.

I might seem like a DerekSmart lackey in that thread. I added the DerekSmart DerekSmart DerekSmart stuff to the OP after someone said a mod would delete it because it wasn't about Derek.
don't listen to me i'm just a little disappointed matilda was banned

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
he makes some good points and some bad points. in conclusion star citizen is a jpeg of contrasts

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
so DS is basically a hitlerstache

this is a metaphor i fully support

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

AP posted:

I assume Derek focuses on it because once the game is out (or not) and all the "I spent $1250 on this?" drama is over he thinks it might end up in court. If things do go badly wrong then that's a fairly safe bet and there's a difference between promising a feature that is later cut and saying you have certain qualifications to do something when you don't. The qualifications themselves don't always mean someone is better at a job but that's besides the point. In court proving dishonesty is hard, like say, someone having no intention of adding a feature when they promised it, while proving someone doesn't have a degree from somewhere is extremely easy.
I think Derek just likes to be right (as loudly as possible) and laugh at Sandi (also as loudly as possible) and it would be pretty hilarious if it turned out she was outright lying about that stuff

unfortunately in this case proving a negative is a hard thing to do

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i don't appreciate your aggressive attitude towards chairs

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

holy poo poo my neighbour is dead, found in the river next to my house
wtf!

come back soon, this thread needs you, and also don't die yourself

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Drink, eat good food, see a show
Mostly drink though (and gamble)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Sillybones posted:

I want to reach into my computer and loving strangle this person. Literally shaking with rage.

lol trolled

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Eonwe posted:

i submit that there has never been a good space game

kerbal space program is awesome

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

ty for this

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

hire an editor good lord

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Well thank you. Cause here's the thing I don't think people grasp, we are two people. We do this because it's something we are passionate about. We aren't making money. I mean seriously, we make like a dollar a month off of the site that cost $5 to host. That's the reality. We haven't even seen a cent of that yet, as we aren't even close to the payout we would need to even begin to monetize it. We aren't doing this for fame, or to be beloved, or any of that poo poo. We are just two people doing what we think is right and what we enjoy doing.

We've considered just giving up on it, but here's the thing it's our dream to do what we love and not be stuck under the boot of some other corporation/employer always having to answer to them. We in all honestly are barely getting by, but we keep going because once again, this is what we love to do. Not to mention, this is less then a year old. It's not like we have massive years of experience doing this.

And that's really the thing about it. We could sit there and be content to work bullshit jobs day in and day out answering to everyone but ourselves, but we're not. We're daring to follow our dream and do what we want to do. If it works, it works. If not, at least we can say we tried. So with that in mind, we would hire an editor, but we can't. Because we'er not that big nor are we that well known to even warrant such. At the end of the day, we don't advertise like everyone else. We aren't shills. We don't bombard people asking for money or followers, etc. We just don't. If you like it, cool. If not, that's cool too.

More then anything, my only interest, THE ONLY THING, that matters to me is this - is my wife happy and have I made her smile/laugh? If the answer is yes, then I could honestly give a gently caress less what anyone else has to say.
whoa there i wasn't calling you a bad person, just saying that a little proofreading goes a long way. constant grammatical errors aren't going to help you make your point or grow a readership (unless they're accompanied with funny videos or pictures of cats).

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

I will buy their assets and finish the game in my own vision

perhaps...enhanced ladders?!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Polish Avenger posted:

Honestly that would be great news for the game. That's like step 2 of getting this thing on track with step 1 being Chris Roberts leaving.
that ship has sailed commando

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

Derek's lawyers
lol

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i'm confused i thought star marine was originally gonna be it's own 'module' (so a separate game launched from the same menu) from the PTU, why would they have to merge code at all

edit: and from that perspective it'd be a good thing to ditch star marine if you could actually integrate the mechanics into the PTU, but lol

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Octopode posted:

One hypothesis requires you to assume that the engineers who built and are intimately familiar with the engine at hand were incapable of integrating gameplay systems changes made to that engine with their own modifications, while the other requires some evidence that the current network implementation is near its capacity, such as trying and failing to recently increase player counts (not even ships) by a small amount. The network and server stack has also traditionally been both CIG and CryTek's biggest problem area, engineering-wise.
or maybe all the hackery that CIG has done to CryEngine for the PTU is different from the hackery that Illfonic did to CryEngine for Star Marine and the ex-CryTekers looked at both and said "lol nope"

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

i'm pretty sure the twitch feed was 100% trolls

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

WebDog posted:

She also mentions studying business law and marketing at one of these courses which is a bit odd for an MBA where you are usually expected to come in with a Bachelors in Business. Which is where you'd learn marketing and law basics in the first place.
This is from a couple pages back but this isn't true at all (at least in the states), most of the people I know with MBA's studied something entirely different for an undergraduate degree

EightAce posted:

Hang on..... Let me get this straight.
Cheese whiz as in spray cheese, in a can, like areated.
Thats against the laws of cheese?

Also, in the popular motion picture 'Creed' they appear to combine the afformentiond sandwich with bell peppers?
Cheez whiz isn't spray-cheese in a can, that's Easy Cheese. Cheez Whiz comes in a jar and is engineered to maintain liquid consistency at room temperatures. A technological marvel, and does make the best phillys

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
a pretty effective troll, hats off to him

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
cheese itself is pretty gross (take some milk, add some bacteria and let it coagulate, maybe finish it off with literal mold) so don't get all high and mighty about processed cheese-foods ok

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hey, your passive-aggressive "yeah nice mails lol I'm skeptic"/"dude I don't care really" response to Beer was lovely and cuntish. One day when Star Citizen has failed you and the community's burned to cinders you will come back here because there's nowhere else to go - and we'll all remember this. You can try to apologize then of course. Or you can choose the classy way of interacting with people by admitting you were wrong, and lo! waters be oiled. Up to you dude.

or just re-reg like a boss

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mrking posted:

The thing I find so incomprehensible is Chris' belief that after launching his game(s) (parts) that his company's entire business model will be able to shift from revenue generated from space ship sales to revenue generated from sales of limited amounts of credits and sales of Game Packages. He has said multiple times that he doesn't want the game to be pay-to-win but if what Derek and others say about their money is true
once it's released they'll move on to the kickstarter for Star Citizen 2 obv

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Incombibulator posted:

like a drenched, limp enchilada
same

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

…but then again, the idea of space fighters is in and of itself pretty stupid so it still makes very little sense.
WW2 inspired space fighting isn't a bad thing, 'real' space fighting in a universe with faster-than-light travel would be computers flinging FTL hunks of metal at each other from thousands of miles away which wouldn't be the most exciting gameplay

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

EightAce posted:

Anyone that has ever made an actual game before knows its totally , completely and irredeemably hosed . Beyond hosed , ....fisted even .
But there is a sense of terror and fear beyond words, that if they talk or speak up about concerns they will not only be jettisoned but will never work in the industry again.
Even when they do leave and get another gig they stay silent and haunted ....

True
stay safe developer ghost

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
devs in a game studio are the gruntiest grunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion