Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I don't think anyone realistically expects wrists guy to really not have time off work, the root issue is that one guy down shouldn't halt the project.

CIG have a very shallow programming bench, furthermo- :gary: :gary:

Sappo569 posted:

Injuries are one thing, but shutting down the whole thing because of one person's injuries is ludicrous

Would they lock all the doors and send everyone home for 2 weeks if Chris had the flu and was home in bed?

I'm not sure the answer to this is as straightforward as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
As soon as they complete the move to Santa Monica and fire redeploy all of the Austin team all of this will be in the past, friends. Chris said this would make the project more robust. So say we all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
He was probably reaching for the last Wulge supplied donut within striking distance of Ben.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

In other words, that's a ridiculous view to hold.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Legit curious; where are you getting this from?

His rear end.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

A rational comparison of the progress on the code side of things in the last three years versus the progress on the art side of things, compared to the amount of work left to do for each necessary to meet the stated goals for release.

Seriouspost, are you actually of the opinion that the programming side of the project is closer to completion than the art? Even though, by your own admission, they have hardly any programmers?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Octopode you should have claimed to be in charge of F-35 procurement, it would have been more believable given how ok you are with CIGs scope creep and timely delivery of product.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

Why would they need to be deleted? He's under the assumption I've posted anything that isn't already public information, or that should be controlled; he's wrong, but he won't let that won't stop him.

Don't listen to these assholes, double down. Perhaps you have an ID card or wage slip we could verify.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loiosh posted:

Technically, 3 of those are not aliens :D (#1 is a modified human, #4 is a cyborg/golem and Ian Cormic, #5 is an AI robot)

I don't know where #2 came from. #3 is my favorite, a Prador, which are hate-filled intelligent crab-like aliens who think humans taste yummy.

That series also has the best AI main character in the later books. Penny Royal <3

It's a Gabbleduck. :ssh:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The latest Descent Underground update has pimped Battlescape Infinity. I'm tempted. Is it bad? Help me bestthread.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Ham + Cheese + tomato + lettuce + Heinz Salad Cream (it's imported from the UK) in pizza pocket

This is a full on :britain: ham salad. You're a man of impeccable taste.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yes. Salt the ship names.

Even adding " will be sold during the CIG anniversary sale" to the end of the name will defeat rainbow tables and remove any ambiguity later on.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bootcha the glorious.

I suspect the shitizens will mass report that video for copyright infringement or something, so watch it while you can.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Does that NDA evaporate when CIG implode?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

G0RF posted:

Yes but Sandi wants the eyeballs for herself so she dumps most of their 'best' stuff there...

haha I never caught this. Wow.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
WTF Disco Lando is another weird webcam propagandist? I thought he a was a legitimate dev of some sort :psyduck:

I need to pay more attention.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Feels good man

What even is your job? It sounds magical. I spend a lot of time hanging around Londons startup scene. Listening to people's ideas on how they're going to do things on the technical side is massively amusing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah you sound like you're in Shoreditch.

Come to the Sebright Arms, bring an air horn.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

theparag0n posted:

Gotta spend them bitcoins somewhere.

:gary: PARRRRRRRRRRP

The Sebright doesn't take bitcoin, but the Pembury Tavern does :ssh:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Imagine paying for a pint of craft ale in bitcoin: in the ten minutes it takes for the transaction to go through the market would have fluctuated wildly several times.

I've never done it (or been in there) but friends have for novelty value. From what I remember they sit a fixed exchange rate at the start of each day and don't wait for the transaction to finish before pouring. The btc aren't really used to pay for the beer they just go in a pot and the pint is written off. I think. It's not a serious use of BTC (hint: because there aren't any) it is just a fun gimmick.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loiosh posted:

I don't know where you're getting this insurance company thing from. They're not too concerned about people doing this to give away a ship or two. This is a concern for someone who loses 5 to 10 ships.

They expect ships to be hijacked and stolen and have gameplay ideas for how to reward and punish those activities. It doesn't matter if it's your buddy. He's still having a ship that cannot be used in UEE space (which is great for pirates/mercs). He'll also have to replace the avionics and computer systems since those modules are locked to the owner.

It's not something they're worried about. Also, the larger the ship is, the longer it takes to replace. Someone losing an Idris is going to be suffering that loss longer than someone replacing a little Aurora. It'll make some of this self-limiting.

In theory anyway. Absolutely none of this is currently present in the game, so we can chalk it up with the farming simulator in the bubbles on that capital ship.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You can't attach the label "innovative" to anything that hasn't been done before. A lot of stuff hasn't been done before because it's a bad idea or not feasible given the constraints of the project. Do you see where I'm going with this?

A lot of the time CIG aren't being innovative they're being unrealistic and dumb.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

What the gently caress is going on here? Do those doors get progressively smaller. This is some Alice in wonderland bullshit. :psyduck:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Huge numbers of these people are eve refugees in a constant cycle of shaking and weeping.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've never actually read the stretch goals page properly before, holy poo poo they are more doomed than I thought. They've already skipped a ton of the early poo poo and some of this I've never seen mentioned anywhere.

quote:

Build professional sound studios. We’ll move Star Citizen’s sound production from a home office to high tech facilities that will give us access to cutting edge sound effects and Hollywood voice talent!

The sound design is pretty good - but why isn't this being shown off? Oh right, movie.

quote:

The Hangar Module will feature Oculus Rift support.

BUT THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH CRYENGINE (no it isn't)

quote:

Professional mod tools will be provided free to all players.

I cannot see how this will work. They'll never allow players to unpick the tapestry of lies they've woven. I doubt they can even extract the cryengine dev tools they've patched, hacked and modified from the giant weird build system.

quote:

Tablet companion application to check on your inventory, commission or find missions and get the galactic news feed.

iOS? Android? Mobile development for a million (:v:) players and all their myriad devices, surely that can't take longer than two weeks?

quote:

The RSI webcast will feature a monthly Town Hall Q&A with Chris Roberts

10 for the Chairman is not a Town Hall Q&A. If it were a proper town hall setup, he would be heckled back into the 80s.

quote:

Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film.

Sign me the gently caress up. Do they have a full time film crew following Sandi around? Probably not the best idea. She'd have to be both in the office and not shouting at minorities. Roll tape.

quote:

Arena mode: The next generation of Wing Commander’s TrainSim allows pilots to test out their combat skills against friends or strangers in a simulation. Gain valuable combat experience without the downside of losing your ship in the game universe! Place bets on competitions across the galaxy.

Place bets? Using UEC purchased with USD? Isn't that regulated somehow?!

quote:

Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.

Has anyone seen this mentioned? They can't own and operate a single seat ship right now let alone a station.

quote:

RSI Museum will air monthly, with a new game featured each time!

Where is it?

quote:

Procedural Generation R&D Team – This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.

I thought procedural generation was the devil according to SC dogma? EVERYTHING MUST BE HAND CRAFTED. GET ON MY LEVEL YOU E:D PEASANTS etc

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Ninth chevron locked, see you in the verse.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

There's a lot of cut corners on the Vanguard too, the newest hangar-ready ship. If you can stomach the :smug: for a couple minutes this guy shows a lot of the missing detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZfEV6CejI

Like two-thirds of the interior is just reused Retaliator assets, and keep in mind they're now selling a whole other ship, the Sabre, that is basically reusing the exterior assets of the Vanguard. Seems a bit suspicious.

I'm the holes in the ship surrounding the modular escape pod.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Air intakes ... in space.

I get irrationally angry by those ship designs. With E:D the ships are at least streamlined or utilitarian, and they're easy on the eyes. SC's ships look ... overengineered. They don't know what they want them to be. And they're going for an airplane look except actual airplanes do not look like that.

This is sci-fi. You don't need spaceships to look like airplanes when they fly down onto planets -- you can give them shields or some other gizmo that counteracts aerodynamic effects. Whatever, make it up. It goes back to that stubborn focus in which everything has to be needlessly complicated to be "realistic" but without any of it making sense within its own setting. When did they decide that the ship needed air intakes and the other ones didn't?

Goddammit I'm so angry. What I'm saying is that I get irrationally angry about internet spaceships.

Allow me to explain fidelity to you, goon troll. Chris Roberts is a visionary and furthermore

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

aleksendr posted:

For Christmas, as a gift from myself to myself with love, i'm undecided between it, "From the Depths" or "Space Engineer" but i fear the latter will make my 4Gig ram I5 with a bargain GeForce melt from the rendering alone.

Space Engineers is what would happen if Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program had a baby. I've lost days to it. Beware.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Regrettable posted:

I hadn't played Space Engineers in about a year, but I loaded it up a few hours ago and was blown away. I expected maybe a decent sized planet, but not star systems. I'm actually kind of afraid to spend more time with it because it might start taking up all of my free time.

I've built an automated hydrogen mining operation that is farming a frozen lake. The tankers autopilot themselves up into orbit. There is a string of satellites between the planet this is happening on and the moon I have my main base on to keep antenna links up so I can admin things remotely. A programmable block keeps the satellite solar panels pointed at the sun so they don't need reactor refuels.

I am the only man in the solar system. It is mine. I sit on a throne of gravel.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Keep them coming. I've been tweeting them

Yo Derek, someone has issued a takedown on the refund link.

Can't imagine why they'd target that one over the others..

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I paid $10 a decade ago and the forums have consistently entertained me all that time.

It's about as far removed from the star citizen value proposition as you can possibly get. You've paid $10 to stand in front of a jeering crowd with your pants around your ankles hth.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In the meantime ive discovered that since the last time i fired up ED, you can now in fact install additional fuel tanks in internal module slots.
I also traded my dropship for an Assault Ship and went to do some actual space combat instead of staring at 500$ jpgs.

I strongly consider dropping 5 bucks for a palette of 6 paint jobs for my cobra, am i a bad person?

Lol @ you paying modest sums to play an actual space video game instead of role playing a nonexistent one on Reddit. Fuckin goons

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Speaking of single points of failure, have we heard any more about the poor dev with the broken wrists?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/200998/chris_roberts_on_star_citizen_.php?print=1

Now try not to post about things when you have literally no idea what you're talking about anymore.

You first, contract lawyer superspy.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is that the Dolvak? I am not surprised.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I still don't get what Lesnick is developing apart from diabetes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Elite: Dangerous are only just about to beta test 1.5 and SC is already on 2.0 - checkmate goons.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

You said all promises, I was working forwards in time from 2013 from their 1st hangar release as that seems more logical to me. I dunno why you'd want to defend the feature list of 2.0 considering it's not even been released officially yet to the live servers. They might add some real persistence to it in a patch today, maybe SATA Ball too, that can't be far off can it?

I think you're too hard on CIG sometimes, it's almost as if you think 2.0 is done for now and they just rushed it out in a cynical attempt to sell stuff.

It's not like Sandi had to scream at Erin to release it or anything, lets hang a lantern on that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Trapezium Dave posted:

I could see it being fun in a game designed around that, sort of like a Star Trek simulator where everyone plays their part. But you need to design each role to be fun, and that is a whole game in itself.

This exists! http://artemis.eochu.com/

• Locked thread