Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah this is probably the same things the news sites will echo next year when things get real dire. The biggest red flag for me that not many people talked about was the fact that they revealed at CitCon Sq42 is no longer a linear mission-to-mission story, but it's going to be an OPEN WORLD GAME. That seems like a massive shift this late in the game.

Wait, Squadron 42 is going to be an open world game now? What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

MilesK posted:

PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPP!

The most shocking thing to happen lately is someone who made their first post in the Star Citizen thread managed to make a good one.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Hahaha

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

38studios just went bankrupt because Schilling was a lovely CEO, right? There weren't any claims of fraud or embezzlement, were there? If so, I'm interested. I've got a pretty rigid hate boner for Schilling, but his company shipped a game before screwing up the 2nd one. He's a dumb rear end in a top hat, but has never struck me as a crook.

Regarding RICO, Roberts' enterprise is an international collection of private companies selling fraudulent products to multiple countries. I'm no lawyer, but that sounds like a RICO case to me. Hell, I bet your average mafia run business is far more cleanly run on the books than CIG.

He ended up having to sell a lot of his own stuff, including memoriabilia, to cover expenses he took on himself. He was dumb and kinda bad, but he was honest.

edit: Wait, they're doing casting for a movie in the CIG offices?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

G0RF posted:

Yes, sorry- I was at RSI with my credit card out-- I must have a Starliner now!

Oh wait, Bad Gateway. Oh well.

It kinda looks like Ben's wife has an Asian dude trying to escape her stomach.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Wait uh... you weren't kidding about the news van in the Hitler video. They're making a news van variant. Sometimes this thread just leaves me feeling a little lost.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Madcosby posted:

Looks like Team Rico has spawned a constellation... heading to the landing platform... AND HE'S CLIPPED THROUGH THE FLOOR!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT

oh god, there's RoboFett, moving in, DOESNT CLIP HES IN THE PILOT SEAT AND CRASHES THE CONNIE INTO THE LANDING DOCK

TEAM ROBO WINS TEAM ROBO WINS

lol star citizen esports

Of course, that's not the only potential star citizen e-sport

"Our first semi-finals match is between CommanderSparks and WulfStarKing! CommanderSpark's mastery of the basics has gotten him this far, but how he fare against Wulf's unorthodox strategies that have been dazzling the crowd all night? Our contestants are ready to begin, so lets find out!"

"And they're off! They've logged into their accounts, navigated to the store, and now comes the first hard decision of the match; what will they buy?"

"Commander is purchasing... I think... yes! A war pack! Just big enough to be exiting, but not really a unique choice. Still, this approach is tried and true to say the least, but will it stay that way? Meanwhile, what's Wulf doing? What's this? He's buying constellation after constellation! Look at him go! Just what is he thinking? Wow folks, they're neck and neck, just what you would expect from experienced pros. Now comes the real battle where we'll see who wins."

"They're navigating over to Reddit where they'll defend their purchase against an imaginary critic. Winner will be determined by circlejerking and upvotes! Both Wulf and Commander have done extremely well so far, but their audience is fickle and all that can change in a moment"

"They're beginning. Commander's opening is pretty standard here, but very well written. First, he's thanking Roberts for creating such a wonderful game, and now he's going on to explain how he's been saving up his disability benefits for months to make this purchase. It pulls at the heartstrings. Now he's moving on to angrily decry naysayers who continue to mock the game in spite of the release of 2.0. Again, all very standard, but every ingredient of a successful post is there folks. Aaand, he's done!"

"Wulf is still working on his, which is going to lose him a few points, but lets see what he's done. Wow! First, he's stating how he's planning on gifting star citizen to all his friends and family for Christmas! That's what they really love to see over there, efforts to bring more into the fold. Now where he explains the money and... oh wow, his wife's savings. That is impressive dedication, the willingness to destroy someone else's life and potentially his own marriage. This could very easily backfire on him amongst the less passionate fans, but the true believers will be moved. WIll this gambit pay off? We'll see... Now he's ending it by calling Derek Smart a cocksucker over and over again. No explanation, no rationale, just pure unbridled hatred. drat, he really is trying to appeal to the most dedicated fans here. And his post is up... now all that's left is to tally the votes!"

"Aaaaand... Wulf wins by the skin of his teeth! His prize? A 100 dollar store credit! He will go on to the finals where he will compete against SexyBlondeMILF for the grand prize: a grossly-underpaid Asian who will crew his ships and call him 'Captain'!"

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

It's really hard to pick my favorite Star Citizen moment so far. It might've been when Croberts responded to the Escapist article by blaming it on Gamergate. That was when I knew Star Citizen had exceeded my wildest expectations.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

When Star Citizen crashes, it's going to be Jonestown all over again, only more embarrassing.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Eonwe posted:

the reason I know I like Something Awful is that you are freer to say things here, and have your opinions heard, than you are on reddit

on reddit they jack each other off about free speech, but then the whole system basically just hides comments that aren't popular

back when Star Citizen was still popular here, people had to see me saying how stupid this game was, and now we have to sit here and listen to people like Octopode

its good and im glad of it is what im saying

A lot of it is also that all the forums are much closer together and have overlapping pools of posters than there are on Reddit. It's very easy to isolate yourself in a subreddit due to how the forums and especially the moderation works. The posters in the Star Citizen thread aren't going to be insulated from people who remember all the other fiascos goons got excited about. I'll admit I was excited about Star Citizen at first, but there was no way to avoid comments about how it was shaping up to be terrible.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Eonwe posted:

mods move this thread to GBS, :regd08: and get this to 1000

When this thread hits 1000 pages, it should definitely do a victory lap.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I don't feel sorry at all for Ben. He's done a lot to make the community toxic and cultish as all hell, and has probably contributed to a lot of people getting fleeced. I don't know if he could've changed things if he wasn't a fat retard, but when this ship sinks he deserves a lifeboat a lot less than most people involved.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Mostly because when it comes to lifeboats, you want to be able to fit more than one person in them.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Wafflz posted:

lol 600 bucks and you need a monster pc. I hope zuckerberg didn't care much for that money he spent cause that poo poo is already dead.

Zuckerberg and Facebook are looking for any avenue they can to keep the show running. Facebook has peaked and is in decline as its not really developing a younger userbase, since it's viewed by kids and teens as something their parents use. So they're buying up tons of social media that has no income stream in order to stay relevant and hope that advertising pulls them through. Oculus was probably one of their more sensible purchases.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Berious posted:

:lol: laying out concrete plans for game mechanics is spoilers now. Thank god jpegs aren't spoilers though or CIG would be in real trouble.

That's some remarkable logic.

Moogle posted:

What the hell is up with these fanatics; it's not like they have 72 virgins waiting for them.

... The limit is 16.

What're you talking about? There're thousands of virgins waiting for everyone who joins the cult. Sex won't be involved, but they'll be very happy to see you.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Lowtax posted:

Okay I just started writing this two hours ago, so it's not near finished or edited, but feel free to have a preview of my Star Citizen article so far:

http://www.somethingawful.com/cms-preview/3.eb1fea423589/

Please do not share it since I'd rather have the finished one shared instead of this incomplete one. Any feedback or ideas would be great!

I hope there's an article on the fans of Star Citizen. Bunnydude needs his place in the sun.

Edit: The Space News Van.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

All Lowtax has to do is give the word that there will be a Star Citizen community article, and this thread will open up to vomit forth all the wonders and horrors of the 'verse

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

Or, to stay positive, they've realized that going to those events was costing more money than it was worth spending on development.

Considering how much of their income stream comes from hype, a major convention doesn't seem like something they should miss if they have anything at all to show.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Many sharks enjoy being petted. They are the dogs of the ocean.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I find it pretty amusing when people claim we're "hiding behind a paywall," but never explain what exactly we're hiding from. From what I recall, the sole reason I put up a paywall in the first place was to prohibit people spamming the forums with endless gimmick accounts that would do nothing but try to ruin threads by posting the same gigantic image repeatedly, or helpfully contributing to the community by calling people faggots. If there was no paywall, I absolutely guarantee you this thread would be overflowing with replies by people from a certain community intent on letting Derek Smart know he's a stupid friend of the family who should be lynched because he doesn't like their favorite video game.

So I guess if he's insinuating we're using the paywall to hide from absolute loving idiots, yes, that is true.

Complaining about the paywall is never really about the paywall. These're people that've dropped ungodly amounts of money on Star Citizen. If there was pro-SC discussion here and the usual sort of idiot wishful thinking passed off as analysis, they'd be signing up in droves. What's holding them back is that there's no moderator protection from comments that drag them outside the hugbox.

Speaking of which, there were a few citizens that did register. I wonder how much Seraph spent on reregging and changing avatars.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Lets be honest, its Chris Roberts doing the art design in Star Citizen so this is to be expected

This is true too, everything seems to have been sacrificed for that 'sell the ships first, sell the game second' mentality, hence why there is a fifth wave of ships.

Roberts removing his approval of designs after they were approved and complete also probably contributed towards the art becoming bland and generic. Who wants to bother taking risks and trying to create something unique and interesting under that environment?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Also hilarious that Roberts spends large amounts of money hiring extremely talented artists and then demand they produce the most bland, derivative junk ever.

If this project has proven anything, it's that no amount of money can fix bad management and overinflated egos.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

The bit about Warhammer 40k got me thinking. Given the fact that within the Star Citizen alpha you have ships randomly having parts disappear from them or despawn entirely, people get sucked out of their ships to their death in the void, bodies appearing out of nowhere, and everyone living the same hellish, pointless existence over and over again, they could argue that rather than being buggy, the alpha is taking place in an area where the warp leaks into real space. It's the best 40k simulator out there!

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Black holes don't work like that you morons :psyduck:

A stellar mass black hole has a Schwarzhild radius - distance from singularity to event horizon - counted in kilometers. At distances counted in light minutes the gravitational pull of the black hole will work exactly like any other massive object

Also no loving planets would be "absorbed" into the black hole that wouldn't be turned to dust by the supernova first

Does Chris know literally nothing about space?

It's weird how they try to make things as realistic as possible when they should follow the rule of cool, and then use the rule of cool when it really doesn't matter if they go for realism instead.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

I remember, many moons ago, when beer believed in Star Citizen. Now we all love to hate CIG together, and it seems there are fewer and fewer white knights daily. :v:

Plenty of people here believed in Star Citizen, or at least hand fond memories of Wing Commander/Privateer. Even the description of Star Citizen sounded reasonable at first. As time progressed, it became impossible to ignore just what a mess it was becoming. The nicest thing about SomethingAwful vs Reddit is that it's much harder on SA to insulate yourself in a bubble of happy thoughts when reality is burning around you. In the end, I admitted I was wrong to be hopeful about Star Citizen, felt like an rear end for a few minutes, and then got my refund. My money is back where it belongs, and when the big crash finally happens I won't be looking for a bridge to jump off.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

lol at trying to look intimidating with a cpap machine on

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Berious posted:

Now I can see why citizens find 30 second animations to get up from a chair so immersive

to be truly immersive, they need to replace walking with waddling

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I hope you guys like this

The fire should last a bit longer.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Are we open to ripping off homaging other scifi franchises for Solar Plebian? I like the idea of a button labelled something like "photon torpedoes" that triggers the response "An excellent plan, sir, with just two main flaws. One, we don't have any photon torpedoes, and two, we don't have any photon torpedoes. I realise that's technically only one flaw but it's such a good one I thought it was worth mentioning twice."

Stuff from the Star Trek Markov chain twitterbot could be good as well if just randomly announced by the ship's computer.
"Captain's log, supplemental. Prime Minister Nayrok has taken over by an angry mob."
"Computer, all senior officers report to the Orinoco. Prepare for a woodland setting, with a touch of pear and one cup of vegetable bouillon."
"Captain's log, stardate 2818.9. There are two hundred forty six elements known to be a minor inconvenience."
etc

The Star Trek Markov Chain twitterbot being the ship's computer is perfect.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

D1E posted:

Or the amount of ambergris in Ben's intestinal tract.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ben would willingly sell an organ or two to keep Star Citizen running if they asked him to. Of course, his organs are probably shot, but maybe there's still a rendering station somewhere in New England they could get a few bucks from.

So will Star Citizen make it to the end of 2016?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

SomethingJones posted:

Ben will have developed type 2 diabetes LONG before his boss develops a game.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't have type 2 already.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Tippis posted:

Skip the grid part and just implement procedurally generated physics.

As in, every time you load an instance, an algorithm produces new laws of physics that will govern that instance. So today, F=Ve — as you apply force to the ship, it will expand its volume in the same direction while maintaining the same state of energy as some kind of horrid space-shoggoth. Or maybe a=ω/m˛ — the more massive your ship, the more you have to cork-screw it to create acceleration.

It'll still be more consistent and logical than the physics of some of the competition…

This seems like a very good idea. Cutting edge.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

There is zero chance there arent massive whale tears about ship cost once the game approaches release (assuming it ever does).

You see some of it now, as in that thread that got posted here yesterday that B'tak was crying in. But the info out there is vague enough that the spergs can still convince themselves that everything will work out okay and their autism chariots will end up being good values.

But the truth is that even crobbits isn't stupid enough to make baby's first multicrew ship take 250-750 hours to earn. Which means the ship people paid ~200 bucks for, and crobbits told them was worth more like 600 bucks, is going to realistically be worth about 60 bucks. its going to be glorious.

E: my question is if it was just his complete ignorance of MMOs that made him come up with a time/value arrangement that was total bullshit, or if he knew from the start it was bullshit (probably due to someone telling him) and he just didn't care because it means siphoning more money, more rapidly, out of the backers.

I imagine ignorance and years of experience in believing whatever is convenient for him.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

WTF is wrong with these people? Seriously?

He's planning ahead on how to be a lovely, useless parent. Impressive, most people just make that up as they go.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

It would be really interesting to take the people who believe Star Citizen will come out and be the promised game and those who don't and find out the proportion of each group that has some software development or at least programming experience. I'm guessing there would be a pretty stark difference. Of course, a lot of Citizens would probably think to themselves "Yeah, I made a webpage back on Geocities in '98" or "I wrote an Excel macro in Basic" and click the yes button, so getting honest answers would be impossible.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes, I back SC. No, I will not get a refund (I don't care - it was disposable income for me). Yes - I make up my own mind. No, I'm not an idiot (well versed in tech, cyber security, and finance industries - can't talk about what I do for a living though).

security guard at a bank?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. Much more involved, much more scary, and dealing with much larger sums.

Hmmm...

security guard at a big bank?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

Some friends and I used to play Eve - they more than I. Much sums of money were dropped during that time (again - they more than I). I can already see the cogs spinning on the "This is no were near what Eve was at inception" argument so that I say - fair enough. As I mentioned before: management is severely lacking at CiG currently, but many of those devs are pretty talented. I invested in what I wanted for the onset of the game (if/when released), but can easily as dump (since most of what I invested in are rare ships) if some signs prove to be especially telling.

Well, at what point would you say to yourself "oh my, this is hosed"? Can you imagine what sort of news would cause you to run?

For me, it was right around the time of the Escapist article and Roberts' response that sealed the deal, but even before that I was getting really uncomfortable because the people who said the game wasn't going to happen were making a lot more sense than the people who said the game was destined to be.

Project leads were leaving or being fired, there was that debacle with "hey, we finally got 64 bit working!" and just generally everything being late and bad when it finally came out. Ben, a clueless sycophant whose qualifications were basically running a fan board, somehow became a developer. The realization of how much engineering debt the project was taking on just to raise more money (beyond what they said was needed for the game). The creation and encouragement of a horrible echo chamber of a message board. The list just goes on and on.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

I want to say that I feel sorry for him. He's put in a certain position and told to appease the masses in those community updates, but he simply doesn't have all the information and thus has to fill the gap with "stuff." And, the stresses of the job have gotten to him over the course of these 2-3 years, which obviously affected him physically. No one here was told what to do or how to act in certain situations by a boss before?

Doesn't it seem strange that he's allowed and encouraged to act that way, though? I mean, normally an employee spreading misinformation to customers is a bad thing. There's a subsection of the people watching Star Citizen that follow what he says and just accept when he's wrong, bullshits, or even lies, but that's the sort of thing that drives customers off. It's the sort of thing that only makes sense if CIG is assuming their customers are really gullible and are happy getting rid of those who aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

how much of star citizen's budget so far has been dedicated to stroking sandi's ego?

i'm positive this is a value over one million dollars easily and has a good chance of being over five million

• Locked thread