Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

I seem to remember something CIG posted way back when during the Freelancer "Strut-gate" thing about considering something like that but ultimately deciding it didn't really fit the aesthetic they were going for. Some fan did a really cool mock-up of the Freelancer with no glass like that.

Or they could just put the engine to work and make the frame turn 75% transparent so modelers still get some justice out of their horrible cockpit designs.

Hell, the AH-64 Apache has been using a FLIR/PNVS system (Cameras) for pilot view since its inception. Which is all the more comical since the Cutlass cockpit is modeled off of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Derek, don't release the ship names! It's all a secret ploy to get you to reveal your inside source! Sandi secretly name-dropped a different ship name to each person in the company, thus when your big reveal happens, she oust the traitor from her forested vagicave!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

That kind of money would pay off all of my debt, provide a down payment (a small one at least) on a house and buy me a car..

Maybe if you lived in some backwater nation it could.

52K could pay off some cheaper state schools though.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Woo, finished closing out the account, took about two weeks of gaggling for Customer Service to finish the request, and they paypalled back the full amount of what I didn't sell off.

I'll be back (two weeks) before the release to see if this poo poo-show pulled itself together. See you all in 2017.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

theultimo posted:

Notacult

And seriously bad taste

Bruh, 'Not your Father's Root Beer' has more alcohol in it than American beer, its a step-up from the hoppy piss Americans love.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No that's pretty much it. They wanted space jets. That's why all the ships look like space jets, that's why the biggest engines are in the back, and that's why all of the promotions features ships chasing each other. And frankly it could have worked well had they simply declared that to be their intent and gone along with it. But for whatever reason they outright cheated their own physics engine, made the maneuvering thrusters nearly as powerful as the main one, and then stopped giving a poo poo in spite of having years to address it. It's a perfect example of how Chris will go apeshit over the tech and visuals and then stop at actually making a fun game.
Didn't the whole maneuvering thrusters idea come about because of the sperg team for the ship contest that actually 'balanced' their ship around thrusters having individual physics?

I only say this because I remember the Cutlass not having those hilarious maneuvering thrusters bolted onto the side of the hull until after the contest.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

feelin pretty :smug: here about not having an idea of what a constellation looks like

I'll admit, astronomy can be a pretty boring field. But if you hunt down a good, local class at a community college, they'll usually have an intro class hosted on nights and weekends so you can see and learn to identify the various constellations established by the International Astronomical Union. From then on, whenever you look up at the sky at night, you'll always be able to find your way!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

Even if VR doesn't achieve proper mainstream popularity there's a very good chance it's going to become a must for sims. And before there's a glut of content people will be buying whatever game will work with their HMD, which is going to be good for titles like Elite and Valkyrie.

VR will always be a higher competitive edge in gaming because at its base it is a monitor, but even with the basic ability to use your head to look around means players in FPSes will either have a tactical advantage by being able to look one way without moving their gun, or they'll be able to apply a second later of fine-motor control to their shots if the crosshair is bound to head movement.

It's just a matter of having developer support, unit costs can remain sky-high because competitive spergs will always want that edge in a game, and e-sports will definitely change if VR headsets are made legal.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

kikkelivelho posted:

This isn't really the thread for this but anyway

I didn't mean that FPS would never be possible on VR, simply that current ones such as counter-strike or CoD won't really work on it. Here's some VR FPS game examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IKpHgh8of4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeglXQ65GI

Mechanically they are completely different from the FPSes we currently play. They are slower and quite static in terms of movement. I'd be interested to see what a competitive VR FPS looks like.

Current FPS games work fine with true-VR(Not the stupid Track-IR) as long as they receive technical support. Fixed Crosshairs is essentially just having a second mouse. Unfixed is arguably harder but I could see it becoming important for those trying to maintain situational awareness provided they practice with it.
Seriously, it's like growing a third hand, yeah it's going to take a while to adapt to your new limb, but you'll be able to do way more once you master it. It's like console gamers learning to use a M+KB for the first time.

As for the motion sickness claimed earlier, yes it will be a problem for certain users, but not everyone suffers from it, and those that don't will have the tactical edge if VR is considered a legal peripheral.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

In a server instance, I think, 40 would be fine. Many more would be fine. But in a fight, more than a handful makes it just an incomprehensible random mess of ships because the ranges are too low.

The range doesn't matter for WW2 in space. Croberts believes everyone will break off into 1v1 dog fights so the copilot can aim his iron sights over the space-prop blade.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bushiz posted:

The reason it lists 9 different types of swimming and double counts languages and lists her Australian accent is because when casting agents are looking for people to a play bit characters for a scene where there's a swim meet in Australia, they want to be able to pull a huge file from those search parameters.

Sandi's triple MFA from Juliard will make sure she screams 'Crikey!' every time she comes up for breath.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I keep on hearing MWO doesn't suck, and it scares me. Dare I play it again?

Seems a lot of poo poo/f2p devs are pulling their heads out of their asses for the holidays. Someone must have realized that bad design decisions mean little Timmy won't be getting much for Xmas.

The real question is: what will they gently caress up in spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sorry but that first ability is more black than green. Go hang out in the locked MTG card creation thread gosh.

• Locked thread