Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

I did it! I'm out!

Refunded today (CIG says).

Perhaps you should all hold applause until the money actually hits my account.

I'm going to use the money to buy actual games that exist and are fun (or buy some new bearings/wheels for my daughters derby skates).

Good luck. I'm on week 3 post "refund granted" with no paypal activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2p EST.....

Cry havoc and let slip the Dereks of War! :black101:

Edit: or the Lawyers of War. Whatever makes poo poo burn.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 3, 2015

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Derek :argh:

Release the blogs of war.

Ahhh dammit, that's totally better than mine. Well played.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lies

water > *

With those little flavor sprays water is pretty much all anyone needs.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

If you like ingesting aspartic acid, menthol, and phenylalanine (this is what aspartame is made from).

Compared to the Monster I'd probably drink otherwise, a little aspartame is still a massive victory toward not dying in my 30's.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Derek is self owning right now

The buildup is reaching critical mass at this point...the longer he waits the more epic it'll need to be. If he doesn't drop something soon the leading image of his blog will have to be an FBI agent with his knee on Croberts neck, or goons will not be satisfied.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

He's the one that has been pumping the hype on this post for weeks, it better deliver now and not be a bag of "two weeks".

I've been waiting for him to deliver the hype since Take 2 Interactives Battlecruiser 3000AD.

(Actually I love everything about this thread Derek please don't ever change.)

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

I'm working on a lovely little game for a local jam tonight and so help me god that blogpost better be done before I am.

It should be a mix of Game Dev Studio and Plague, Inc. You've got to make a game successfully from pitch to delivery before former game devs in various countries write negative blogs that prevent you from profiting in those region.

Also gently caress Madagascar.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 4, 2015

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

lol im the backer funded film studio

Love the posters.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

But Not Tonight posted:

Same, I e-mailed them saying that if they didn't get their poo poo together within 48 hours I'd be filing a chargeback so let's see if that's lights a fire under their rear end.

A full month after the "Refund granted!" email has ended with my CIG account closed and no refund issued, so I'm trying the Paypay chargeback route now. Unfortunately the charges were from mid-2013, so I have a feeling time is going to work against me here. :ohdear:

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

Check your credit cards. They did a 'Well golly, we can only give back about half of the amount because we see you've already had a partial refund' thing to me, at which point I (politely) wrote back to correct them and list the exact pledge I'd made. They then paypalled the remainder. Which left me sitting there for a bit wondering where the gently caress the first part of my money was. Then I reread the initial refund mail and saw that they were doing a chargeback instead of a paypal, logged into my credit card site, and found the first part of the refund sitting in there.

Not even with the same bank anymore. I did everything through paypal, so there's no way (that I know of) that the actual card/bank has been exposed to them in any way.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

A low zoom one, sure. I glanced at the picture about an hour ago but can't open it here at work. It looked somewhere inbetween a 1-3x.

Still, you're not going to see that much of the scope from your POV in real life. Video games are horrible at modeling what it's like to look through an optic of any sort.

Pretty much....it's one of those things that behaves one way in the realm pure physical recreation (look through tube, see image the diameter of said tube, make all things not in tube view blurry, go to lunch) and yet is perceived completely differently by your brain when you actually *do* it. Looking through even a 3x optic pretty much eliminates all vision outside of the area you're seeing through the sight, and your brain hyper focuses on what's available so it effectively takes up your entire perceived field of view. It's different when you're using a true 1x sight like an EOTech where there's zero magnification and the sight does some trickery that actually presents the hologram reticle out on the visual plane of your target (kinda hard to explain, but super cool in practice). Basically the more you focus on your actual target, the clearer the weapon sight actually becomes, making it super easy to use with both eyes open (and much easier to accurately represent in the context of a game). You can somewhat use a 2x-3x sight with both eyes open, but once you get above 3x it's pretty futile because your brain will just block out the eye looking down the sight since it's completely blurry in contrast to your free eye that's actually, you know...seeing things.

TLDR - All magnified game optics up close are bullshit unless it's basically a black screen with an image in the middle.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

He said the only game that comes even close to SC in ambition is ARMA

I love the idea of ARMA and I've been playing with the mission editor in every version of it since Op Flashpoint. That said, I've slowly come to accept that the actual act of playing ARMA is not fun.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did something happen with their CS dept? After being ignored for weeks I've gotten at least 2 emails a day for the last few days about how I'm "not forgotten and in our queue". I had gotten one before, but I've just been bombarded lately. It's....odd. It's like they're constantly sending reminders about how much they suck at this.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sept 30 - Refund started.
Oct 9 - Refund granted on after several back and forth emails about what motivated the decision to ask for a refund. Was told 5-10 days for paypal refund.
Oct 16 thru Nov 18 - CIG account is confirmed closed, but no activity on paypal acct., reopened support ticket asking for update on Oct 16 and again a couple weeks later. Received a half dozen automated "You're in my queue but I still can't talk to you yet" messages.
Nov 18th - This gem arrives -

" I've investigated your refund and it looks as though Patrick did, indeed, request a refund but somewhere along the line it didn't get approved by the finance team. I'm unsure as to the reason for this but nevertheless we'll get it sorted ASAP for you.

I've re-submitted it and highlighted this error for you so your refund should be processed in the next couple of days."

So I read this as:
1.) Finance doesn't know about/approve of CS issuing refunds.
2.) CS is knowingly issuing refunds without Finances approval.
3.) Finance is declining things selectively/just because.

Any one of those makes me happier and happier I chose to bail.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

For what it's worth, that also sounds like the kind of low-effort excuse someone would give if they found out someone forgot to hit the "submit" button or whatever. I used to work with a dude like that, who was constantly forgetting to actually order the things his customers wanted special-ordered, and then when they bitched and we realized the issue he'd just rattle off some kind of excuse like "So it turns out even though we ordered it they shipped it to the Pinellas store instead because the guy at the warehouse messed up. I've got another one on the way ASAP."

True, but the subtext of the message is shockingly poor given the questions being asked of their company. I actually run a small support group as part of my daily duties, and if one of my reps said something like that to a customer we'd be having a sit-down right quick. It's one thing to mask a mistake with a "technical out", or better yet just own up to it...but it's a different story when you're defending your team by throwing another part of your own company under the bus. If there is some toxic "us vs them" internal bickering between teams then the CS manager may care about the distinction, but the customer does not, and just takes away an impression of a mismanaged mess of a company that they won't continue doing business with. This is of course under the assumption that this was a poorly written excuse and not the truth, which carries a different, but equally disturbing set of implications.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

How much is your refund

Just over $400 I think? I got swept up in the Bomber Bros movement. Space B-17's man.

That's still such a cool thought, goddamn I hate them for ruining it.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

I know a lot of people say they don't want star citizen to fail they just want a good game or whatever but I want it to fail, I want it to crash and burn in the most horrible way possible because of people like this.

This is 100% about watching the world burn now.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

CIG should be thankful Bootcha isn't making them pay interest :colbert:

That's probably why he got out at all.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Since this is next-generation crowd-sourced game development with unheard of levels of transparency I wonder when the -$200K will show up on the websiiiiiiiiiiiiahahahahahahahahahahahahahah Nevermind.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ShredsYouSay posted:

In opposite land, star citizen barely scraped over the kickstarter limit, was competently managed and released two weeks early, and Ben sadly suffered from anorexia.

Chris Roberts presents Wing Commander 3000AD

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Man, those Facebook comments are "cancerous"-- it's like there are actually backers who don't believe in this game anymore and they're actually voicing their opinions about it...

They're basically celebrating the anniversary of that time you got suckered into a lovely deal, so it's not entirely surprising. Hell some people are literally aging out of the demographic that is willing to drop cash on this in the time it's taking them to deliver anything. Since I bought in I've gotten married and now have a kid on the way....sorry internet spaceships, you missed your window.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

The most positive "shocking" departure would be Sandi-- and I think we have seen several signs she is preparing to depart. She has an acting career to pursue. (Though I guess she's been pursuing it all along...)

The most negative "shocking" departure? Tony Z. is supposedly hanging on awhile. Mark Skelton would be a loss. I'm not really sure who else is visible enough to be shocking, and considered talented enough to be a real loss of they bolted...

Maybe they did find an investor and the first thing they're doing is "retiring" Chris to figurehead/head visionary status and bringing in some ball buster Producers and EPs.

Edit: Honestly if anyone actually DID invest in them at this point, I can't possibly imagine any deal that wouldn't be contingent on such a change.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 18, 2015

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So this is it huh....this is the moment the tide turns?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone ask if you're able to skip cutscenes in SQ42.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It blows my mind that this guy that DESPERATELY wants to be a director and control every aspect of a production is somehow seen as the chosen one to bring forth the greatest open-world user experience ever conceived.

The cognitive dissonance in this community is amazing.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone ask if they're going to release a "trailer" for SQ42 prior to release.

Chances are he'll actually bite on that one. The more he talks about this like it's a movie the deeper the hole gets.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What are the chances some of the mainstream gaming sites pick up on this disaster in the next few days? I feel like this is getting into "trainwreck" territory extraordinarily quickly. Two major events with no new major announcements other than opportunities to give more money?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Now would be a good time to post a howto get a refund guide.

Can someone post links to it in the Question section?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be willing to put down good money that *if* this comes out, camera/input control will be taken away from you even in the FPS cutscene sections.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RuckusRouser posted:

"We don’t just want existing players to enjoy the anniversary, we want to introduce Star Citizen to new players! As a result, we’re offering a limited number of discounted $30 packages each day, first come first serve (1,000 per day.) "

Already sold out for today. After seeing all of nothing for 3 hours HOW can ppl still be buying-in?

Sounds like a cheap way to pad your referral count.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SirTagz posted:

1. Tell everyone 2.0 is coming out. 1K people play it on PTU.. absolutely..
2. Confidence restored..
3. And btw, we are having sale
4. Week later. Too many bugs to release 2.0. but thanks for the money, suckers

I'd guess:

1.) Tell everyone 2.0 is coming out to limited users
2.) They don't release it to anyone that matters and/or slap it with a draconian NDA so it's effectively blacked out
3.) They keep it in "closed pre-alpha" for several months while they work on making it playable
4.) They release 2.0 in three to four month, still buggy as poo poo
OR
4.) They go tits up before 2.0 actually drops to the public

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

robot roll call posted:

I politely declined. This thread and this game are a huge source of entertainment to me but I don't want to be a dick to him about it.

Did he watch the livestream? You should at least get his opinion about it. I'm genuinely curious what someone who's presumably outside the Reddit/SA communities thought about it.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any reports of multicrew actually working yet?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finally got my refund actually issued and confirmed in paypal yesterday. Initiated Oct 6 and paid out on Nov 24. Payment came from Cloud Imperium Games Corporation.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Immersive death, immersive rape, immersive sitting down?

The game needs immersive eating and bathroom minigames.

My money is on being able to go to a movie theater in the spaceports that plays a complete selection of full-length mocapped movies produced by Croberts and staring Sandy.

Kinda like the cartoons in GTA5, except terrible.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This entire thing is just an extension of CRoberts inability to follow any actual plan. He's a 100% "fly by the seat of your pants" leader and is a textbook example of why you don't actually let the "idea guy" do anything important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

My argument is no one uses the phrase 'bated breath' unless they're being sarcastic as gently caress.

This is accurate 100% of the time.

• Locked thread