Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Point me at the son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

Point me at the son of a bitch.

I've been trying to find it again.

The short version goes like this:

The William Gibson found (or retweeted) an image with your text on it from tumblr. He thinks it's hilarious and good.
It gets reposted a lot because he's a famous author.
Some random comedian says that it is his joke and whoever wrote that stole it and reworded it and made it worse.
Gibson says "oops sorry" and attributes it to that dude and links to his twitter and stuff.
The end.

But goddamn it, i loving knew it came from here first! I just couldn't recall who might have said it, and thus had no way to find the original quote. There was a lot of "well i saw it first 5 years ago" and "Well, I wrote and did it as part of my standup 5 and a half years ago" back and forth.

I tried looking through Gibson's twitter to find it again, but it was 3 or so months ago and I just couldn't dredge it up. :(

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, well, looks like I just started a twitter war with William F. Gibson stuck in the middle. Not was I was expecting to do today.

https://twitter.com/randomferret/status/675734047637831681

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, well, looks like I just started a twitter war with William F. Gibson stuck in the middle. Not was I was expecting to do today.

https://twitter.com/randomferret/status/675734047637831681

Hahaha, poo poo man i just scrolled through 3 million tweets to find it and you beat me to it.

Anyway, here's "his" version.
http://www.cc.com/jokes/uw7djd/stand-up-hari-kondabolu--hari-kondabolu--hatred-between-faiths

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. I was able to find it quicker because I remembered the exact wording. On account of, you know.

Well, I just tweeted at him directly and called him a hack, so we'll see what comes out of that.

Anybody know a way to view archived stuff without an account?

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Dec 12, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. I was able to find it quicker because I remembered the exact wording. On account of, you know.

Well, I just tweeted at him directly and called him a hack, so we'll see what comes out of that.

No idea.

Do you know when or where you posted it?

e: maybe the forum quotes thread would be better for this? :shrug:

a kitten has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Dec 12, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote != edit.

Anyway, found it! Thanks dasSaas
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3074498&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post360357386

Now i'm going to go do stuff that's actually productive. :v:

a kitten has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Dec 12, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RandomFerret posted:

I brought up your assessment with someone the other week and I wracked my brain trying to remember who wrote it. I remember reading that thread in '09 but I'm poo poo with names. Thank for coming out of the woodwork to defend your work :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really miss Yo Dawg.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Oh god. I wasn't on LUE itself for very long, but as a shithead little kid I spent way too much time on one of the offsites it spawned (LUE2).

Said offsite is now deader than Elvis Presley, which makes me kind of sad, honestly.

I still have LUE access.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Pico's School!

Also I remember reading a lot of Zug.com

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

pwned.nl

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I remember my dad telling me about Cliff Yablonski I couldn't bring myself to tell him I'm a goon

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I still have LUE access.

Same.

Most of the posts I make there are in "this place is dead" sort of threads, and are about the fact that I'm mostly around because I'm waiting to see the place die.

Mind, I've seen communities smaller than current LUE last for years and years, but I've kind of always had an interest in small "dead/dying" internet communities. Kind of explains why I hang around here I guess.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I actually said holy poo poo when I saw a JibJab commercial the other day for Christmas e-cards. I can't believe they're still kicking.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The only limit is, yourself!

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Very much a subcultural thing, but I remember seeing variants everywhere, and indeed, many of them seem to still be up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
In honor of Christmas - this one was uploaded to youtube in '07, picture has a 2002 water mark, and I could see it having been made that same year. Probably the first video I remember that managed to be seen by everyone I knew (it helped being 12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMSaJ1KkqQI

• Locked thread