Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

some of the "trouble makers" had installed carmegeddon on the school workstations and it was dope as gently caress but then they got busted when they left the cd-rom in the drive IDIOTS.

so they came back and reinstalled it but used the nocd crack and the teacher came up and was like "What was that on your screen just then?" (they had just alt+f4'd) and they were all "oh a racing video from nascar" and she was like "Yeah right" and then made a big show of pressing the cd eject button.

BUT IT WAS EMPTY.

:owned:

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Beast of Bourbon posted:

some of the "trouble makers" had installed carmegeddon on the school workstations and it was dope as gently caress but then they got busted when they left the cd-rom in the drive IDIOTS.

so they came back and reinstalled it but used the nocd crack and the teacher came up and was like "What was that on your screen just then?" (they had just alt+f4'd) and they were all "oh a racing video from nascar" and she was like "Yeah right" and then made a big show of pressing the cd eject button.

BUT IT WAS EMPTY.

post legitimately owns

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Beast of Bourbon posted:

BUT IT WAS EMPTY.

G-g-gg-ghost CD! Zoinks scoob!

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
my dad is a power user, he can write spreadsheets in excel and install programs from a cd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my father works with computers all day and knows nothing whatsoever about anything beyond precisely the things he needs to do his job with them

he is p. much my hero

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my dad died. he done a compute, now he's brown bread. makes u think

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:rip: dad honked

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my dad's probably going to die soon. he's not in the hospital or anything, just terrible lifestyle, been in for surgery, etc. also he's very old. makes you think about who you are and where you're at. love your dad and make him know about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sorry to hear about it man :smith:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

well i made it sound bad, but he's still out loving around, playing golf, doing whatever. but he had major heart surgery several years ago and doesn't give a poo poo, still drinks a lot of whiskey and chews, balls to the wind. he's just on a timer. i'm just prepared for it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I see. well. if he's hosed anyway...

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
my parents both did compute

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i used to break the family compute often and dad got mad :smith:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i was just trying to play the gorillas game dad

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I see. well. if he's hosed anyway...

what do you want, you ghoul

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
man I want people to live a long happy life. but longer doesn't necessarily mean happier. some peope live well into old age and their life S U CK SSS>>>>>>...

he's enjoying himself, he's not burdened by renal failure, or having to take 30 tablets a day.

idk whats best for him or you.. I just hope whatever is best happens, and that's usually not taking your drugs and only eating low fat spread on cold wheatmeal toast

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I found old receipts from the computer shoppe like 25 years+ old with notes about setting up art programs for mom.

hes still interested in tech but functionally retarded at using the computer. also the only games he wants to play are military shooters but has literally no reflexes and has to look down at the keyboard to press ctrl.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ultramiraculous posted:

i used to break the family compute often and dad got mad :smith:

I filled the 5.25 inch floppy with quarters trying to play the pinball game

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

BUT IT WAS EMPTY.

pro as hell

Another sick pro move was this kid who put all the files needed for GTA2 on his school network share and somehow made the folder public so we could all see it (vs just him when he's logged in). Teachers would keep finding GTA installed on these laptops could you "check out" from the library and removing it, but we could always get it back in like 30 seconds :owned:

He eventually got expelled for loving around with the network so much and that probably really hosed up his life but otoh he helped me play video games during my free period instead of learning so it was all worth while.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:911: Free Period isn't Free. I honor his sacrifice. :911:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

man I want people to live a long happy life. but longer doesn't necessarily mean happier. some peope live well into old age and their life S U CK SSS>>>>>>...

he's enjoying himself, he's not burdened by renal failure, or having to take 30 tablets a day.

idk whats best for him or you.. I just hope whatever is best happens, and that's usually not taking your drugs and only eating low fat spread on cold wheatmeal toast

yeah.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

RevusRangerous posted:

on a teletype

Holy poo poo, I thought people stopped using teletype machines by like, the early 1970s. Literally the only reason I even know teletypes used to exist is the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

also the only games he wants to play are military shooters but has literally no reflexes and has to look down at the keyboard to press ctrl.

You should make him play D.U.S.T.

My pops was an aerospace engineer in the Soviet Union. He'd just been out of college for a few years and working on some important projects(specifically, software for satellites and ICBMs) when the Soviet Union collapsed and he got out through connections. He tried to keep working in the U.S. but he couldn't get a security clearance due to his former Soviet military service, so he worked many various compute, from developer to sysadmin, to driving a taxi to make rent.

Now I'm trying to do infosec poo poo, but what I dream about at night is asynchronous computing and machine learning poo poo running on big, beautiful supercomputers.

e:↓↓↓ come on man, liberate your circuits from the oppression of the clock signal

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 31, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
'asynchronous computing' lol

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My dad used a Macintosh computer and then contracted AIDS from the operating system and died.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lucky

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:unsmith:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
talked to my dad today, and confirmed. he used the FADAC. explained that the programs were built in already, and it would do the calculations in about 2/3 of the total travel time of the shot. also said that they needed a generator for the thing

not a pic of dad, but w/e

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Space-Pope posted:

talked to my dad today, and confirmed. he used the FADAC. explained that the programs were built in already, and it would do the calculations in about 2/3 of the total travel time of the shot. also said that they needed a generator for the thing

not a pic of dad, but w/e

and that is how dubstep was invented

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
my dad was very into computer when he was in his 20s, his garage has a shelf of books on poo poo like:

he helped me understand Fourier transforms, but he can barely figure out Windows 10 v:shobon:v

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because it's a piece of poo poo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

he helped me understand Fourier transforms, but he can barely figure out Windows 10 v:shobon:v

A good dad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ADINSX posted:

A good dad

:agreed:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I remember one christmas dad was installing Children's Writing and Publishing Center on our 386. He was reading the manual outloud and was really impressed that it would automatically wrap the lines of text for you.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
dad was a railway worker (retired, not dead), and an amateur painter

as a railway worker he's of course super-political (he owns a copy of das kapital and painted a giant monochrome - green, curiously - portrait of karl marx), and after an abortive career in town politics, got involved in a mutual aid society, first as an evangelist and eventually as evangelist trainer and board member

he bought our first computer with a scanner and a copy of corel draw 7 because I wanted to become an artist (except corel draw 7 had a scripting engine that could build executables and netscape had a wysiwyg html editor and you can imagine why I'm in yospos and not in cc). he got a really good deal in retrospect, we got the oem versions of a lot of useful software (corel draw 7, word 97, windows 98) that my school mates had to pirate (or "borrow" from me). for his job as an evangelist, he needed a lot of material (brochures, invitation cards, posters, one time even a calendar), and they didn't have a reliable in-house designer, so he taught himself word and corel draw. most of the material we printed on our deskjet, which had in fact pretty amazing quality (just a little color bleeding, but with the right paper it was near perfect)

when we upgraded to windows xp, I set his computer up so that he'd have a limited user account, and a separate administrator account I named "setup", and taught him to switch to that user to install and configure stuff. this is how his computer stayed squeaky clean without an antivirus. the mutual aid society he worked for got bigger, they eventually got a full time computer technician - other than whoever had been paid to set up their AS400 back in the devonian - and so one day I open his work laptop and found a slow as gently caress antivirus, a full administrator account and UAC disabled. loving computer janitors, man

oh and he's an Opera and Thunderbird user (my bad). he's pretty good at computers despite having started from absolute zero at the ripe age of 50, which is good because I'm a bad daughter-son and I fly into an irrational rage every time I have to do tech support for him. he should really stop reusing the same 2-3 passwords though, I shouldn't be able to connect to his home wifi in a couple of attempts

I'm proud of you, dad. also when you cried at my graduation (even though it was just a BS, and I was 4 years late) I was absurdly touched and if I never told you that, I should

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

hackbunny posted:

dad was a railway worker (retired, not dead), and an amateur painter

as a railway worker he's of course super-political (he owns a copy of das kapital and painted a giant monochrome - green, curiously - portrait of karl marx), and after an abortive career in town politics, got involved in a mutual aid society, first as an evangelist and eventually as evangelist trainer and board member

he bought our first computer with a scanner and a copy of corel draw 7 because I wanted to become an artist (except corel draw 7 had a scripting engine that could build executables and netscape had a wysiwyg html editor and you can imagine why I'm in yospos and not in cc). he got a really good deal in retrospect, we got the oem versions of a lot of useful software (corel draw 7, word 97, windows 98) that my school mates had to pirate (or "borrow" from me). for his job as an evangelist, he needed a lot of material (brochures, invitation cards, posters, one time even a calendar), and they didn't have a reliable in-house designer, so he taught himself word and corel draw. most of the material we printed on our deskjet, which had in fact pretty amazing quality (just a little color bleeding, but with the right paper it was near perfect)

when we upgraded to windows xp, I set his computer up so that he'd have a limited user account, and a separate administrator account I named "setup", and taught him to switch to that user to install and configure stuff. this is how his computer stayed squeaky clean without an antivirus. the mutual aid society he worked for got bigger, they eventually got a full time computer technician - other than whoever had been paid to set up their AS400 back in the devonian - and so one day I open his work laptop and found a slow as gently caress antivirus, a full administrator account and UAC disabled. loving computer janitors, man

oh and he's an Opera and Thunderbird user (my bad). he's pretty good at computers despite having started from absolute zero at the ripe age of 50, which is good because I'm a bad daughter-son and I fly into an irrational rage every time I have to do tech support for him. he should really stop reusing the same 2-3 passwords though, I shouldn't be able to connect to his home wifi in a couple of attempts

I'm proud of you, dad. also when you cried at my graduation (even though it was just a BS, and I was 4 years late) I was absurdly touched and if I never told you that, I should

Vote no on proposition rape

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
when i was like 7-9 ish my dad irl ran a bbs out of our basement - had like a dozen or so pots lines ran to the house, had to install a special demarc outside the house to terminate them

found out just a few years back, it was a swinger board

heh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress sniep i was hoping you'd pop into this thread

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

dead dad crew :smith:

dad bought a TI 99/4A in 1983, then a Microbee and a Daisy Wheel printer for word processing a year later.

he never got really computer literate, but knew the few programs he used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

ADINSX posted:

I remember going to dad's office in like 92 or whatever and one of his employees let me play wolfenstein 3d on his workstation.

Rebel Assault here. Made me hate rail shooters... Still, a worthy introduction to my future cube life.

• Locked thread