Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s poo poo on every platform. Is HDR still broken?

I can’t tell.

The HDR thing flashes on my screen but I dunno if it’s working.

IMO subscribing to HBO directly through Apple TV is the best.

You can download episodes to your phone or iPad where the amazon version you can’t.

They limit it to 6 loving things for some reason so it’s not the most amazing thing for travel.

THE picture quality is light years ahead of the hbo go or now app that’s for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Kevyn posted:

Is it me, or does the Amazon Prime app suck poo poo?

I’m trying to rewatch The Wire for the first time in this app (watched it many times on HBO Go.) I’m like six episodes deep, yet every time I hit Resume, it resumes from the same point in S1E1 where I paused it once.

It and Netflix are both garbage. I can never find anything in Prime and playback controls are wack. Netflix is a laggy piece of poo poo and those devs really ought to rethink their career choices.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

only after I finished GOT was it recommended here to use anything but the HBO app. Hulu or amazon..

Couldn’t believe how horrendous it looked and thought it was something on my end

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

only after I finished GOT was it recommended here to use anything but the HBO app. Hulu or amazon..

Couldn’t believe how horrendous it looked and thought it was something on my end

HBO Now was great for me post Season 5. Before that it was garbage.

Edit: that said, then the show became garbage so.. not sure who won that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

HBO Now was great for me post Season 5. Before that it was garbage.

Edit: that said, then the show became garbage so.. not sure who won that.

I dunno what you were watching it on but even the final season was 100% garbage on NOW. The artifacts on the dark scenes was some of the worst I've seen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno what you were watching it on but even the final season was 100% garbage on NOW. The artifacts on the dark scenes was some of the worst I've seen.

You're confusing picture quality with content.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

:hmmyes:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Matt Zerella posted:

Either way, the resolution sucked

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought ATV+ was going to be a bunch of family-friendly BS. I just activated my trial from an XR I bought last year and started watching Mythic Quest. I’m super surprised how crude and hilarious it is. This show is great.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/23/apple-tv-6-storage-tvos/

Don't know what to make of any of the rumourmongering but I find it a little hard to believe any possible new AppleTV generation - let alone one specifically geared at Apple Arcade users - wouldn't include a beefier chip to render all of those videos game.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only reason for them to upgrade the chip is economies of scale from using the same processor that’s in current iPhones/iPads. There’s nobody who’s mad they can’t hit 120fps in Alto’s Odyssey.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also AV1 codec support to reduce bandwidth use. Not that I'm holding my breath.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bitstream audio support you cowards, make it so. The only thing I actually want from the damned device.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are there any new HDMI or video standards to support?

I do really wish they would just do 4K YouTube but I don’t know that’s a technical issue at heart.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HDMI 2.1 is out and appearing on stuff, though I don't really know how much AppleTV would benefit from it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Are there any new HDMI or video standards to support?

I do really wish they would just do 4K YouTube but I don’t know that’s a technical issue at heart.

4K YouTube is based on VP9, which Apple won't support because it's a Google standard. I actually thought the whole point of this dispute was to wait until AV1 was ready to go so it's kinda confusing that there's no news about AV1 support.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

9/10 people on the ATV probably don’t even know 4k youtube doesn’t work

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Needs AV1, which AFAIK no apple chip natively supports in HW.

And for apple to start caching more assets. Loading the store, searching Apple Music etc takes ages.

Edit: and 24 FPS for third party apps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty sure third party apps already support 24fps to a degree, at least I guess it’s why amazon has lip sync issues with movies every time I turn on frame rate matching

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Actually have a Netflix show in my up next list. Wonder how we did that?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

fivehead posted:

Needs AV1, which AFAIK no apple chip natively supports in HW.

And for apple to start caching more assets. Loading the store, searching Apple Music etc takes ages.

Edit: and 24 FPS for third party apps

24p works fine in plex and many more 3rd party apps I’m sure

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Granite Octopus posted:

24p works fine in plex and many more 3rd party apps I’m sure

It’s mostly a Netflix problem

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2961262-apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-24-000-video.html

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
YouTube sometimes breaks and I have to reinstall it. Is this an known issue for Apple TV 4Ks?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s a google app so probably.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

YouTube sometimes breaks and I have to reinstall it. Is this an known issue for Apple TV 4Ks?

Lately, I can no longer navigate since it doesn’t want to register swipes or presses on the touch pad. This happens if I’ve left the app and open a different one (like Channels or Pluto).

So far the only fix I’ve found is to force quit by double pressing the TV button on the remote and swiping up on the YouTube app. No reinstall needed here, but you didn’t define “breaks” so you may have a completely different issue.

Basically it boils down to Google pushing out a lovely app, which they have quite the history of on the AppleTV

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Edward Mass posted:

I've personally never had that problem or hear of anyone else having it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Proteus Jones posted:

Lately, I can no longer navigate since it doesn’t want to register swipes or presses on the touch pad. This happens if I’ve left the app and open a different one (like Channels or Pluto).

So far the only fix I’ve found is to force quit by double pressing the TV button on the remote and swiping up on the YouTube app. No reinstall needed here, but you didn’t define “breaks” so you may have a completely different issue.

Basically it boils down to Google pushing out a lovely app, which they have quite the history of on the AppleTV

This is the issue I've had! Sorry for not being specific.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YouTube doesn’t work with homepods and follows a different UI such that you don’t have the option to switch audio devices. The great list of apps I have that doesn’t work with homepods are:

YouTube

Even twitch works. Even Channels works.

Google sucks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jokes posted:

YouTube doesn’t work with homepods

The rest of the complaints are valid, but if apple doesn’t give a poo poo about selling a decent product why should anyone support it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The HomePod is awesome though?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I have to force quit the YouTube app multiple times because I can't navigate anymore.

I also noticed yesterday that the Twitch app doesn't render 60p streams properly. Probably Twitch's usual incompetence more so than a flaw with Apple TV, but not being able to watch 60 FPS streams kind of defeats the purpose of a gaming app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

The rest of the complaints are valid, but if apple doesn’t give a poo poo about selling a decent product why should anyone support it?

The gently caress you on about?

I mean, I can completely understand complaints on price, that's a tale as old as Apple. But the HomePod being a lovely product? LOL

Unless you're a Google apologist. Which really brings into question your moral character.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

The gently caress you on about?

I mean, I can completely understand complaints on price, that's a tale as old as Apple. But the HomePod being a lovely product? LOL

Unless you're a Google apologist. Which really brings into question your moral character.

This is a weird post dude

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

your friend wicka posted:

This is a weird post dude

Yeah, it is.

Sorry all, I think it's time to take a break for a few hours and play with the pets.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I have to force quit the app and sometimes power cycle the ATV but I’ve not had to uninstall and reinstall the app.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MarcusSA posted:

The HomePod is awesome though?

The HomePod as a product is awesome but Apple’s support of it is horrendous. It’s the PSVita.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Here’s a tabletop appliance that stains porous surfaces and has a poor voice assistant. It is the most expensive option on the market. And I’m not an apologist for any current home assistant technology, it’s quite possible to think they’re all overhyped (most with security implications I personally don’t accept).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Here’s a tabletop appliance that stains porous surfaces and has a poor voice assistant. It is the most expensive option on the market. And I’m not an apologist for any current home assistant technology, it’s quite possible to think they’re all overhyped (most with security implications I personally don’t accept).

The Hey Siri on the HomePod works better than any other apple device I have by a pretty wide margin.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

The Hey Siri on the HomePod works better than any other apple device I have by a pretty wide margin.

This is truth. Being able to tell Siri to pause or mute or turn down volume is a godsend.

As an aside I must say Disney+ has poo poo for sound mixing so everything is either too quiet with spikes of being every loud or vice versa. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

YouTube has always been dogshit on the ATV and I’m surprised it’s not on the spotlight more. But, y’know, the google vs apple spat.

My YouTube connect via my phone will always pick up my neighbors firestick. I can only YouTube connect to my ATV via iPhone if I force close the apps on both devices then re-open and connect within a small window

Even then it’ll randomly disconnect in about 10 minutes.

It’s really frustrating and considering all the technology going on there a bit embarrassing