Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I thought 4k youtube was a hardware limitation or was it just google being dicks

I believe it's Apple being dicks for not supporting VP9. Their hardware over the past few years doesn't have any problems decoding it, it's the software not supporting the codec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I believe it's Apple being dicks for not supporting VP9. Their hardware over the past few years doesn't have any problems decoding it, it's the software not supporting the codec.

And a little bit Google being dicks for not just using H.265 which everything supports.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CygnusTM posted:

And a little bit Google being dicks for not just using H.265 which everything supports.

I was under the impression VP9 is a standard of sorts and that Apple was the oddball in not supporting it. Is that wrong? I honestly don't know.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was under the impression VP9 is a standard of sorts and that Apple was the oddball in not supporting it. Is that wrong? I honestly don't know.

It's both right and wrong tbh. It's a Google-developed codec but it's open and free and they pushed it pretty hard so it became a de facto standard. Apple is one of few companies that doesn't support it.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

your friend wicka posted:

It's both right and wrong tbh. It's a Google-developed codec but it's open and free and they pushed it pretty hard so it became a de facto standard. Apple is one of few companies that doesn't support it.

That was the "little bit" part. Google could support both. They are already licensing H.265 for Chrome. But in the long run, having an open standard is better, so Apple is mostly wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CygnusTM posted:

That was the "little bit" part. Google could support both. They are already licensing H.265 for Chrome. But in the long run, having an open standard is better, so Apple is mostly wrong.

In the long run everyone is probably going to AV1, but yeah, Apple is the most wrong for not just adopting the codec everyone uses.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The original talk was that Apple wouldn’t support it because they believed it was likely to be targeted by patent trolls. I don’t know if that was just fluff, but man I remember for like a decade there was a poo poo ton of patient lawsuits coming out a small district in Texas or something that was the scourge of the tech industry.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Violator posted:

The original talk was that Apple wouldn’t support it because they believed it was likely to be targeted by patent trolls. I don’t know if that was just fluff, but man I remember for like a decade there was a poo poo ton of patient lawsuits coming out a small district in Texas or something that was the scourge of the tech industry.

Still going, and a second district in Texas is joining in now. Trolls definitely are still a thing (if they weren’t, I wouldn’t have my job.). But I don’t think they’re the real reason.

VP9 has some serious patent troll concerns but tbh so does every advanced video codec. Apple supporting or not supporting probably had as much to do with who they already had license deals with and for what as anything else. (Slash also this was the tail end of the smartphone wars when these decisions were getting made so there was some bad blood still.)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anyone have a 4K remote grip/cover recommendation? I bought a cheap one on amazon but after a year it seems to be disintegrating, leaving gross residue all over the lower part of the remote

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Remote Case for Apple Tv 4th Generation, Akwox Apple TV Siri Remote Cover Case for New Apple Tv 4th Gen Remote Controller with Lanyard (Purple) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07454MXF1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D3gcFbYK7RPFP

Got the previous version of this for my ATV4K and it’s been working great so far

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That looks like the one I have and has held up great for the last few years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Sideclick thing is pretty useful. Makes the control actually not easily loseable and gives you infrared controls for your TV if you want that.

Otherwise I'm sure that silicone thing is fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endless Mike posted:

The Sideclick thing is pretty useful. Makes the control actually not easily loseable and gives you infrared controls for your TV if you want that.

Otherwise I'm sure that silicone thing is fine.

I use this for sure and I love it very much.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Remote Case for Apple Tv 4th Generation, Akwox Apple TV Siri Remote Cover Case for New Apple Tv 4th Gen Remote Controller with Lanyard (Purple) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07454MXF1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D3gcFbYK7RPFP

Got the previous version of this for my ATV4K and it’s been working great so far

I have two of these in black and they’re great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

it’s probably one of those items where there’s 100 that look the same, and most have fake reviews, or are new, so it’s hard to find the good quality one

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm seeing an odd visual glitch on both Netflix and Prime and only on AppleTV. It looks like screen tearing, except the tear remains visible at the same height consistently for several minutes, moving up the screen very slowly. Pausing doesn't fix it (although the tear becomes invisible since the picture stops moving, but if it's at the same height as the menu interface etc it will show up there). If I leave it for several minutes it eventually starts moving quicker and travels up and off the top of the screen. Also, doing something that refreshes the HDMI signal like tabbing back to the ATV home screen seems to eliminate the tear.

What am I looking at here and what can I do about it? I'm at a loss what to even google here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fedule posted:

I'm seeing an odd visual glitch on both Netflix and Prime and only on AppleTV. It looks like screen tearing, except the tear remains visible at the same height consistently for several minutes, moving up the screen very slowly. Pausing doesn't fix it (although the tear becomes invisible since the picture stops moving, but if it's at the same height as the menu interface etc it will show up there). If I leave it for several minutes it eventually starts moving quicker and travels up and off the top of the screen. Also, doing something that refreshes the HDMI signal like tabbing back to the ATV home screen seems to eliminate the tear.

What am I looking at here and what can I do about it? I'm at a loss what to even google here.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not yet, I'm going to, but it's a pain to get at that cable right now and it'd take a while to confirm after the fact. I will say I only started noticing this problem a couple of months ago and haven't touched the setup in nearly a year.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Can the 3rd gen Apple TV be jailbroken?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m pretty sure there was a tethered jailbreak for it but don’t know if it progressed beyond that.

E: I must be misremembering, snowbreeze and season pass seem to be ATV2 limited.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, tvOS 14 has dropped, I just updated my Apple TV 4K with it.

tvOS 14 gives you extended Picture in Picture functionality, a Home screen that lets you access HomeKit enabled cameras, audio sharing with AirPods, and 4K YouTube video playback for those videos that have 4K.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Homekit camera feature yesssss

Now I may have to upgrade my icloud to 2TB so I can have multiple cameras recording

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Not sure how many people this affects but I tried to recalibrate my HomePods to the Apple TV with 14 and it doesn’t recognize the tones anymore. The update broke it I think.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How do you use Picture in Picture?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Binary Badger posted:

..and 4K YouTube video playback for those videos that have 4K.

Hm I’m still getting 1080p, and it’s telling me the app from April is the newest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hm I’m still getting 1080p, and it’s telling me the app from April is the newest.

A/B testing!

You’ll get it eventually. I need to check when I get home because I’ve been on the B side of the google apps for a drat long time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah the joy. I was once on the good side, but they abandoned me long ago (I had a version with a ton of useful features like being able to like/dislike videos that nobody else seemed to get, until it vanished).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

phosdex posted:

How do you use Picture in Picture?

Pause a show or put your finger on the remote to make the playback bar appear and, if the app supports it (big if), there’ll be a little PIP button.

The only one that has it is Apple TV+ so far (for me). When they said they’re opening it up everywhere they mean all the devs CAN add PiP to theirs.

I want a YouTube (or Twitch) PiP really bad but they’ll probably never come because YouTube is the only app on my ATV that doesn’t give a poo poo about normal tvOS standards and does their own, lovely thing. Homepods don’t work on YouTube! Still! gently caress Google.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I noticed holding play/pause no longer lets you select audio source so you can switch to airpods, did that function get moved? Having to go to the setttings bluetooth menu option sucks.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I noticed holding play/pause no longer lets you select audio source so you can switch to airpods, did that function get moved? Having to go to the setttings bluetooth menu option sucks.

Hold down the TV button until the sidebar comes out. It’s at the bottom of that now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Gillman posted:

Hold down the TV button until the sidebar comes out. It’s at the bottom of that now

Ah thanks, hm not sure if that is an improvement but ah well. I like being able to out my homekit cameras up though!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I use AppleTV to airplay Youtube from my XR. When I used to airplay, I could start the video, leave the app, do other things while it continued to play on the TV. Now, for whatever reason, whether I pull down the notifications bar or the control center, the video stops. If the phone screen turns off, it stops. I have to keep the screen active the entire time to continue the video. Is anyone suddenly having this issue? I have no clue what it can be. I have Youtube Premium and my phone is on iOS 14.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

buglord posted:

I use AppleTV to airplay Youtube from my XR. When I used to airplay, I could start the video, leave the app, do other things while it continued to play on the TV. Now, for whatever reason, whether I pull down the notifications bar or the control center, the video stops. If the phone screen turns off, it stops. I have to keep the screen active the entire time to continue the video. Is anyone suddenly having this issue? I have no clue what it can be. I have Youtube Premium and my phone is on iOS 14.

Youtube made some aggressive changes recently to break iOS 14's PIP support in app and on web but it shouldn't affect premium subscribers. Wonder if it affected Airplay somehow

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anyone cares, tvOS 14.0.1 is out. Gee, that didn't take long...

Ran it on my ATV 4K, hasn't brought down the house, but it will update on ATV HD too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boy, the YouTube app was not designed to deal with YouTube being down. Just an infinite spinner.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why doesn't the AirPods Pro Spatial Audio feature work with the AppleTV? Is it because with the phone they can be relatively sure the phone is going to be roughly 2 ft or so in front of your face, whereas with a TV they have no idea where you're sitting in relation to the TV so it would be jarring?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aww, it doesn’t work? I was excited to try that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Lol the 0.2 update made airplay worse

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Has anyone used Apple TV+ on a Windows 10 pc using chrome? I go to login the site and get HTTP ERROR 400

edit: logging into the web based version on my macbook made it work on my pc...?

Housh fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Was wondering if there would be a surprise AppleTV announcement, guess not until next spring? I know there's been rumors of a new one for quite a while now.