Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/apple-music-tv-launch-videos-1234809088/

This is kinda neat, I watch the little advertised MTV Classic in the background quite often and I like to think the amount of people who repeat the age-old mantra of 'I remember MTV when they showed music videos' will put their money time where their mouth is.

If they played the videos from the time you remembered MTV playing music videos then sure, but they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How does the AppleTV/AirPod integration work when more than one person in the house has a pair and are not using the same iCloud account? My wife and I are in the same iCloud family, can she use her AirPods with our AppleTV seamlessly or is there weirdness because the ATV is set up with my iCloud account?

My use of AirPods works brilliantly by the way, just wish there was a way to access the menu needed with the harmony remote since there isn't a long-press option. Only reason I pull out the ATV remote.

If this works seamlessly, this functionality is really making me long for an ATV stick for my bedroom. Be perfect to be able to watch something with a TV across the room and not wake up the kids.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well MTV Classic at least does that. I'm just poking fun at the complaining about MTV, who are making tons of money by always being on top of how to run their channel, while 40 year olds bemoan it isn't aimed at them anymore.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TraderStav posted:

How does the AppleTV/AirPod integration work when more than one person in the house has a pair and are not using the same iCloud account? My wife and I are in the same iCloud family, can she use her AirPods with our AppleTV seamlessly or is there weirdness because the ATV is set up with my iCloud account?

My use of AirPods works brilliantly by the way, just wish there was a way to access the menu needed with the harmony remote since there isn't a long-press option. Only reason I pull out the ATV remote.

If this works seamlessly, this functionality is really making me long for an ATV stick for my bedroom. Be perfect to be able to watch something with a TV across the room and not wake up the kids.

I think, at any point, when your things are on and in-range you just select them either via the in-video options or via settings.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Roadie posted:

Mine is set up for it right now. The Bluetooth mode for ATV is just hidden under the Bluetooth menu item.

Huh. Their website says it's IR only. Trying that out now. Thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/apple-music-tv-launch-videos-1234809088/

This is kinda neat, I watch the little advertised MTV Classic in the background quite often and I like to think the amount of people who repeat the age-old mantra of 'I remember MTV when they showed music videos' will put their money time where their mouth is.

I'll likely watch it if there's room for anything other than pop and hip-hop.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have the original Apple TV 4th gen (not 4K) and notice it slowing down ? It was never thaaaat zippy, but recently it really feels like it has been taking for ever to load and respond.

Haven’t seen any rumors of a meeting Apple TV either , but not sure I am willing to “risk” upgrading it to a 4K yet, I was hoping to use this until whatever next model comes out (plus the TV it’s hooked up to isn’t 4K).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This new update did something so my receiver finally goes to sleep when the Apple TV turns off and wakes up when I turn the ATV back on.

It only took a year for that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
tvOS 14 has been a lovely update for the Apple TV HD.

My HomePod pair used to sync with the tv and now no matter what I can’t get them to sync.

Apparently, people are just fine with the 4K. Hell, they got special atmos and speaker preference settings now for homepods.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone have the original Apple TV 4th gen (not 4K) and notice it slowing down ? It was never thaaaat zippy, but recently it really feels like it has been taking for ever to load and respond.

Haven’t seen any rumors of a meeting Apple TV either , but not sure I am willing to “risk” upgrading it to a 4K yet, I was hoping to use this until whatever next model comes out (plus the TV it’s hooked up to isn’t 4K).

Not that I've noticed, but it's on the TV I don't use as much.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it seems like even stuff like scrolling animations and switching screens are really shuddery too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, and updates take an eternity to prepare now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Not so much the OS, but I have noticed specific apps getting sluggish. Channels specifically takes forever to initially launch watching TV, and lags a bit when changing channels. My AppleTV4Ks are still as snappy as ever.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I must have my AppleTV setup wrong or something, because streaming in 4K on the Series X is such an improvement over it. Not to blame the box, it is probably some setup I screwed up. That said given that the AppleTV app is now on the Series X and it has a good remote, I’m going to stop using my AppleTV (I’ve been using one for 10 years since the series 2 was released) for time being. I am sure when the next version comes out I will be buying it no matter what.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just getting back into ATV. So the 4K model has higher spec hardware than the HD. Are there any games that look/run/only-run better on the 4K? For the sake of equal comparison let’s assume both only running at HD.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just as a general point, the entire system is faster on the 4K. Menus, switching screens, etc is snappier so if you have the means it’ll future proof you better and also be a better general experience.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Violator posted:

Just as a general point, the entire system is faster on the 4K. Menus, switching screens, etc is snappier so if you have the means it’ll future proof you better and also be a better general experience.

Ah good point. I did notice the price diff was minimal.

Also what exactly is 64G useful for over 32G? Are games/apps that big?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 14, 2020

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah good point. I did notice the price diff was minimal.

Also what exactly is 64G useful for over 32G? Are games/apps that big?

Games are the only thing likely to take up much space. Any streaming apps aren’t gonna really matter much when it comes to storage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone else get the ‘hey do you want to set up your volume control?’ dialogue a ton, even though you’ve already set it up a bunch of times? Has persisted over a whole bunch of updates, it’s really weird. Never used to happen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My ATV4K automagically set itself up for my TV volume somehow. Maybe through HDMI handshake it can get the model of the display?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I’ve set it up and it works fine, it just keeps putting the dialogue box up for some reason. I have to be careful what I do, because if I hit ‘No’ it then stops working. Backing out or selecting ‘Yes’ is fine (doesn’t actually need re-setting up, just takes me to the Settings menu where it shows me it’s adjusting the AV Receiver).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone else get the ‘hey do you want to set up your volume control?’ dialogue a ton, even though you’ve already set it up a bunch of times? Has persisted over a whole bunch of updates, it’s really weird. Never used to happen.
I used to, but it stopped this summer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone else using a Harmony 650 on their ATV? Can’t get mine to reliably sleep/wake using the activity and all off buttons.

Looks like it fires up with the TV despite being told not to listen to the tv, then gets toggled off by the following wake command.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

A new remote alternative with BLE and voice is coming, but...

quote:

...consumers won’t be able to buy the remote directly from Universal. The company plans to sell branded versions of the remote directly via the cable companies.

Brilliant. Let's sell an accessory for a device popular with cord-cutters only through cable companies.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any deals for Apple TVs going on right now?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Starting Friday through Sunday, you’ll get an Apple gift card with the purchase of one.

Either that or go for a refurbished one from Apple themselves.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The top shelf thing for Plex hasn't worked on my AppleTV for probably 4-5 months now. It's not a big deal, just wondering if its actually working for anyone else. I did try reinstalling it once.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've had an issue with Plex recently where the selecting user screen just wigs the gently caress out. It seems to be losing and regaining connection every half second and makes it neigh impossible to select a user. After messing with it for some time I can usually get one, but it's very annoying. May be a recent update or something, since nothing else has changed.

Curious if anyone else is having that issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

phosdex posted:

The top shelf thing for Plex hasn't worked on my AppleTV for probably 4-5 months now. It's not a big deal, just wondering if its actually working for anyone else. I did try reinstalling it once.

Just checked, just displays the logo for me so not just you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is probably gonna be the best deal you’ll find for now.

It’s a little convoluted but if you can use the gift cards it’s a solid deal.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

phosdex posted:

I can confirm it is working for me. (On my Apple TV...3? Last one before the 4K one.)

Grimmeh fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 26, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It works on my 4K AppleTV but not my older AppleTV HD.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grimmeh posted:

I can confirm it is working for me. (On my Apple TV...3? Last one before the 4K one.)

That's an ATV4. And ATV3 was the one that didn't have an app store.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

This is probably gonna be the best deal you’ll find for now.

It’s a little convoluted but if you can use the gift cards it’s a solid deal.

Oh drat, I just bought the device on Apple’s website earlier this morning. Still waiting for the gift card to be emailed to me though.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
My girlfriend refuses to switch from her android phone, we have an AppleTVHD at home, can anyone recommend a casting app that works?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

FiftyFour posted:

My girlfriend refuses to switch from her android phone, we have an AppleTVHD at home, can anyone recommend a casting app that works?

This one looks pretty good: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/backstage-casting/id1215380527

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is anyone using Infuse? I'm looking at it as a replacement for Plex but one feature we use all the time and I don't see in Infuse is the ability to shuffle play a TV show. Does that feature not exist or am I not seeing it?

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

FCKGW posted:

Is anyone using Infuse? I'm looking at it as a replacement for Plex but one feature we use all the time and I don't see in Infuse is the ability to shuffle play a TV show. Does that feature not exist or am I not seeing it?

If you go into the season, you can hit the “…” drop down and choose Shuffle (along with Loop). I really love Infuse.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s kind of neat that AppleTV does live alerts for sports but not very useful if it’s on a channel you don’t get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grimmeh posted:

If you go into the season, you can hit the “…” drop down and choose Shuffle (along with Loop). I really love Infuse.

Can I do this for the entire show though and not one season?