Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Previously On Lost.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Exactly that, with Macs.

Interesting - Iím guessing thatís more likely to happen if you buy the baseline/stock models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I just noticed 14.5 changed the controller icon in the iOS/PadOS control panel to the new style.

No new functionality but its a cute touch.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Interesting - Iím guessing thatís more likely to happen if you buy the baseline/stock models?

No, I don't buy those. I always buy everything CTO.

They replaced my 2016 15" MBP with a 2017 one that had the same CPU frequency (2.9 GHz), which was top of the line on the 2016, but mid-level on the 2017.

It looks to me like they keep a large variety of CTO configurations ready for replacements after the initial onslaught of orders for a new model. I've also had at least 3 immediate "here ya go" replacements of maxed out iPads (regular, Air and Pro) at my Apple Store.

I also need to add that they only offered the MBP replacements after they couldn't fix the original ones over 3 weeks or so, even after several logic board replacements. The 2011 17" MBPs all had overheating GPUs and at least 2016 15" one couldn't deal with two 5k UltraFine displays after about 18 months. Apple was unable to test this config because for some reason none of their repair centers had two of those displays. Some higher up probably just said gently caress it and gave me the new one to cut the losses.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

At the end of 2018, a study was published by London Metropolitan University showing that certain bacteria, normally present only in intestinal tracts or feces, were found on McDonald's self-service screens.

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

No, I don't buy those. I always buy everything CTO.

They replaced my 2016 15" MBP with a 2017 one that had the same CPU frequency (2.9 GHz), which was top of the line on the 2016, but mid-level on the 2017.

It looks to me like they keep a large variety of CTO configurations ready for replacements after the initial onslaught of orders for a new model. I've also had at least 3 immediate "here ya go" replacements of maxed out iPads (regular, Air and Pro) at my Apple Store.

I also need to add that they only offered the MBP replacements after they couldn't fix the original ones over 3 weeks or so, even after several logic board replacements. The 2011 17" MBPs all had overheating GPUs and at least 2016 15" one couldn't deal with two 5k UltraFine displays after about 18 months. Apple was unable to test this config because for some reason none of their repair centers had two of those displays. Some higher up probably just said gently caress it and gave me the new one to cut the losses.

I had a CTO 27 inch iMac that needed some repairs right before AC expired. It was originally just a bad HDD but the ended up replacing the GPU and something else as well.

At work, they replaced an MBP for us. I'm in higher ed and we ordered a fleet of the old non-retina MBPs (the ones with the optical drive) right before they stopped offering them completely to EDU and enterprise. It had a 4 year AC warranty and right towards the end of the coverage, the main logic board started having issues. I sent it in and they ended up replacing with a retina MBP. Same ram and HDD specs, so it's a pretty decent machine. Since we had already replaced the old MBP with one from our reserves, I got a nice new MBP to play with.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, Iíve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Iíve got an old atv hd and I keep getting whole 30 second segments where half the frames are missing then it eventually goes back to normal. This is in Plex. Anyone else seeing this issue?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, Iíve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?
I think my content matching setting changed as well. But it might only have been for framerate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've had this happen randomly after an update.