Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

priznat posted:

I do wish they had included the find my capability in the dang remote, even the new one has gotten misplaced a couple times.
I got a case that lets you stuff an AirTag in there and it’s been working out pretty well, but yeah having that built in woulda been nice! Sucks that it is explicitly tied to one person’s Apple ID but I guess that’s a limitation of the whole Find My system at this point. Feels quite futuristic asking a HomePod where your remote is, but only my wife can do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Old tv remote had a farm, eeieeioo.

I just grabbed it in a way that I would feel the Lightning 🌩 port. Plus the Apple logo orientation on the back helps, particularly when putting it face down. Caught it wrong maybe twice overall because I was in a hurry. It was poo poo, but manageable poo poo.

After dinner, my husband and I sat down in the living room to watch some TV. We were about to turn on the old Apple TV remote when I noticed that it was in the wrong orientation. I reached for it, but my husband grabbed it first. "I can do it," he said. I turned to watch TV, but I could only see his hand in the corner of my eye.

Old Apple TV remote sat on the coffee table, forgotten. It was just a simple remote, with no fancy features, but it was the only way to control the old television. Someone had thrown it across the room, and now it was in the wrong orientation. It was time to get a new one.

The old Apple TV remote was dusty and crusty, but it still worked. I plugged it into the TV and tried to turn it on, but the screen just stayed black. I remembered that the old Apple TV always worked best if you turned it the wrong way; the black screen meant that the TV was in portrait mode, not landscape. I turned the TV around and hit the power button. The old TV beeped once and then turned on, displaying the familiar blue screen and the words "Apple TV."

Are you okay?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Minidust posted:

I got a case that lets you stuff an AirTag in there and it’s been working out pretty well, but yeah having that built in woulda been nice! Sucks that it is explicitly tied to one person’s Apple ID but I guess that’s a limitation of the whole Find My system at this point. Feels quite futuristic asking a HomePod where your remote is, but only my wife can do it!

Yeah I really want at least the ability to share airtags between family members or something, I thought it was a thing and got some for the kid’s bags and now only I can track them, kind of annoying.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just get one of these and attach it to the coffee table

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Minidust posted:

Yeah the elago one is working well for me. Apple should have included it in the upgrade, but I suppose that’s for the next gen remote in 5 years.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m considering switching from my Chromecast with Google TV to an Apple TV now that I’m back with Apple stuff. I’m curious about emulation though. How easy is it to side load something like RetroArch? If it’s even possible. And if so, how powerful is it, like PS1 level?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m considering switching from my Chromecast with Google TV to an Apple TV now that I’m back with Apple stuff. I’m curious about emulation though. How easy is it to side load something like RetroArch? If it’s even possible. And if so, how powerful is it, like PS1 level?

I’m not completely sure if it’s possible but I’m leaning toward yes. It’s an A12 which should be able to handle everything up to GameCube.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can sideload via XCode if you have a Mac. That's it, I think.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You’re better off with a Shield if you want to do emulating.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah I looked into my options and that’s how it seems

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New remote owns and is way easier to hold. Only weird thing is how they moved the useless Siri button to the side of the remote so that if it even lightly brushes up against a mote of dust it will interrupt your whole screen with an unwanted and impotent Siri prompt.

Fixed this, since it’s my only real complaint after years of the awful black remote.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah agree about the Siri button. I don't think I've ever used it legitimately since I can't play movies in Plex with it for some reason.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a recent 4K Apple TV connected to a denon avr with the audio format set to auto with a 3.1 system. If I listen to music through the atv music app I hear music through the center channel and bookshelves. If I airplay to the atv with the music app from my phone I get music through the center channel and bookshelves. If I airplay to the denon I get stereo only. Why’s the atv converting the stream like that to 3.1?

Oh, the avr is Airplay not Airplay 2 if that makes a difference.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 1, 2022

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wild guess is that either the ATV or receiver (on the ATV input) is mixing to 3.1, depending what you mean here:

quote:

Apple TV connected to a denon avr with the audio format set to auto with a 3.1 system
Whereas when you AirPlay directly to the receiver it's just playing the stereo signal as is. If you can change the setting on the receiver to auto 3.1 while streaming directly to it (which it probably treats as another separate input with its own settings) that might do the trick.

(...unless you meant you don't want that mixing to happen)

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

japtor posted:

Wild guess is that either the ATV or receiver (on the ATV input) is mixing to 3.1, depending what you mean here:

Whereas when you AirPlay directly to the receiver it's just playing the stereo signal as is. If you can change the setting on the receiver to auto 3.1 while streaming directly to it (which it probably treats as another separate input with its own settings) that might do the trick.

(...unless you meant you don't want that mixing to happen)

Sorry, that wasn’t super clear. I do not want it mixing to 3.1 and I am not sure why it is. I tested it with Spotify and it seems to be doing the same thing so it must be the atv doing it?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I have two apple tvs that live in an equipment rack, near eachother. One is for upstairs, one is for downstairs. I have a harmony hub controlling the downstairs. The upstairs is using the regular appletv remote and CEC.

The issue is that both atvs are responding to the hub. When i use the downstairs, both atvs respond. I blocked the upstairs atv from IR, but it still responds to the hub. Any suggestions?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a way to silence the camera notifications on my screen for the AppleTV? Like a Do Not Disturb or silence the notifications for an hour on an iPhone/MacOS?

I have some people working on our lawn today, and my kid does not care about the outside world. She just wants Bumble Nums.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s notifications on the AppleTV? Is this from Homekit or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

There’s notifications on the AppleTV? Is this from Homekit or something?

Yes, exactly that.

No idea how to silence them, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there no Do Not Disturb/Focus modes or something on Apple TV? It's basically just an iPhone in a box now, c'mon Apple.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does appletv pop up a video window for cameras that detect movement? Had no idea! I am usually watching at night when the cam would either not detect due to darkness or just lack of people coming by.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've noticed a huge amount of lag on HDMI volume controls from my ATV4K (A10 I think?) to my receiver when using the ATV remote. The ATV itself controls perfectly snappily, it's only the volume commands that lag and stick, like, sometimes I tap the + button once and it ends up shunting the volume by 10dB. It's definitely the ATV because using the TV remote or the receiver remote still works instantly. Also, after maybe half an hour or so the problem goes away and all volume controls are instantaneous. Anyone know what's up with this? Relatively minor annoyance all told but I'm very curious.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

IUG posted:

Is there a way to silence the camera notifications on my screen for the AppleTV? Like a Do Not Disturb or silence the notifications for an hour on an iPhone/MacOS?

I have some people working on our lawn today, and my kid does not care about the outside world. She just wants Bumble Nums.

Yes. From memory, when one pops up if you press the button it prompts to view the video (I think it’s the TV button) you can then select a thing on the UI that looks like the Do Not Disturb moon and silence them. I think it gives you a couple options for how long for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What cameras do you guys user with HomeKit? I looked and it seemed like Logitech was the only truly integrated option but its reviews seemed so so.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What cameras do you guys user with HomeKit? I looked and it seemed like Logitech was the only truly integrated option but its reviews seemed so so.

So I have a Raspberry Pi running Homebridge, and have my Ring integrated through that - if somebody approaches the front door, a live preview pops up on our Apple TVs. The hacked integration isn't the best - live previews within HomeKit don't work very well, but I like the front door preview on my Apple TV a lot.

For cameras that are a little better integrated with Homekit, I'd recommend....

Aqara G2H Pro - $60, includes HomeKit Secure Video w/ pet, person, and thing detection. No other associated costs. Also acts as a Zigbee hub, so you can buy Aqara sensors and connect them to the camera to work within HomeKit. I love these things - I have window/door sensors on every window, and I have the AC turn off whenever a window gets opened. I also have them set to send me notifications when nobody is home and one gets triggered. I also have some motion sensors, smart plugs, buttons, etc.

Aqara G3 Camera - $100, Same/better features as the G2H, includes pant and tilt functionality, 2K video quality.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yep, Ring / Homebridge here as well. Exactly what 👆🏻 said about it. Weird in the Home app, but the PIP on ATV is great. But to be honest, I rarely ever try to watch the cams via the Home app anyway; I usually just use the Ring app since it has all the event history.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, use Ring and HomeBridge. There's generally a bit of a lag, but it mostly works.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m using Eufy, and it works with HomeKit without Home Assistant. It has a hub plugged in with Ethernet though. They also boast about consumer privacy and no monthly/yearly fees, which are definite advantages to ring.

Violator
May 15, 2003

IUG posted:

I’m using Eufy, and it works with HomeKit without Home Assistant. It has a hub plugged in with Ethernet though. They also boast about consumer privacy and no monthly/yearly fees, which are definite advantages to ring.

Yeah, I use one of the Eufy pan and tilt cameras as a baby video monitor. The one I have doesn’t have a hub though. Really nice to have the little PiP window of the camera feed on the TV while I’m watching a movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a couple of the previous gen logitech circles, one using the window mount for the front yard and the other mounted outside for the back. Been looking at getting a eufy pro 2K kit for more coverage. Also getting the new eufy doorbell/lock/cam and hoping it can integrate with homeassistant well as it doesnt support homekit natively.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have Eufy cams, no hub, they're pretty nice

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have one Eufy cam for a baby monitor (no hub). If you add it to HomeKit, it disables a lot of the cool features like motion tracking and crying detection (what I use it for) for some weird reason. Those things will be grayed out even in the Eufy app. It's super weird. It's the only reason I don't put it into HomeKit. No clue if the same thing happens with a hub.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think it’s because HomeKit has a limited feature set that the cameras have to abide by to be certified for HomeKit. I’m guessing as a baseline and so if a particular camera has a lovely feature it doesn’t tarnish the HomeKit branding. Hopefully the next release this summer adds some of those features.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have one Eufy cam for a baby monitor (no hub). If you add it to HomeKit, it disables a lot of the cool features like motion tracking and crying detection (what I use it for) for some weird reason. Those things will be grayed out even in the Eufy app. It's super weird. It's the only reason I don't put it into HomeKit. No clue if the same thing happens with a hub.

That's one of the issues with HomeKit - these cameras have enough power or aren't designed to allow concurrent live streaming across both HomeKit and the camera company's services. If you buy an Aqara or Eufy camera with 2K video support, for example, HSV doesn't support it since it caps out at 1080p, and you can't use both HSV and the camera company's app/service to take advantage of features not offered within HomeKit. I think some Netatmo cameras are the only ones that can do it.

Thread/Matter IoT products can't come soon enough. Having a mish-mash of smarthome products can't interact with each other on one sole platform is really annoying.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 23, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

I've noticed a huge amount of lag on HDMI volume controls from my ATV4K (A10 I think?) to my receiver when using the ATV remote. The ATV itself controls perfectly snappily, it's only the volume commands that lag and stick, like, sometimes I tap the + button once and it ends up shunting the volume by 10dB. It's definitely the ATV because using the TV remote or the receiver remote still works instantly. Also, after maybe half an hour or so the problem goes away and all volume controls are instantaneous. Anyone know what's up with this? Relatively minor annoyance all told but I'm very curious.

Bumping this esoteric query with the following update; I now have my ATV running direct to my CX and this still happens, so it's 100% the ATV. At a guess it could be the remote but that doesn't mesh with how inconsistent the effect is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, I've never experienced anything like that on my setup using the Apple remote via IR to my receiver.

Don't rule out it being something unrelated though - for months we couldn't work out why one of the remotes in my old house just wouldn't do anything when we sat down to watch TV for about 15 minutes or so... it turned out to be interference from turning the lights on.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I had an issue where the AppleTV remote started working like 30% of the time. The remote app on my phone worked fine. I have my ATV mounted behind my TV and finally tried moving where it was mounted and that fixed it. Assuming the TV was blocking the Bluetooth signal from the remote but the WiFi the iPhone was using was getting to it fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've had laggy volume occasionally and yeah, just assumed it was some kind of interference cause moving closer helps. And in my case there's some obvious possible sources of interference, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often really.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Violator posted:

I had an issue where the AppleTV remote started working like 30% of the time. The remote app on my phone worked fine. I have my ATV mounted behind my TV and finally tried moving where it was mounted and that fixed it. Assuming the TV was blocking the Bluetooth signal from the remote but the WiFi the iPhone was using was getting to it fine.

Yep, I had the same issue, except I'd have crazy buffering issues with movies from Plex. I'd get something awful like 2Mbps on a speed test too. Once I moved it below the TV on a shelf, it fixed all the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah it's a baffler. It's not interference - in every other respect, the remote works perfectly, also the problem always eventually goes away after like half an hour. It is only the volume controls that are faulty. None of the other ways of sending volume +/- to the ATV lag. Every other aspect of the ATV UI appears to be functioning without lag of any kind. Also the volume +/- from the remote in that first half hour sticks as well as lags, so sometimes it'll be a few seconds behind and some of those times it'll then act like I held the button down for ten seconds even though I only clicked it once. All very ????????, and for such an incredibly minor problem it's got me very annoyed because what is going on.