Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Does it happen at the same time on each day that it occurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

astral posted:

Does it happen at the same time on each day that it occurs?

No. I've observed it morning, noon and night, with no apparent relation to time except for relative to when I turned the ATV on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is anyone else unable to issue commands to an Apple TV (4k) via Siri? We used to be able to tell our HomePods to play/pause, fast forward, skip, etc, and they would work as expected. But about 2-3 weeks ago it just replies that it's unable to complete the request at this time after trying for a few seconds. We can't do it either from Siri from our phones, but we can use the remote app to control the Apple TV.

The Apple TV did a software update in that time, I've restarted it, the HomePods, and the network without any change. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Is anyone else unable to issue commands to an Apple TV (4k) via Siri? We used to be able to tell our HomePods to play/pause, fast forward, skip, etc, and they would work as expected. But about 2-3 weeks ago it just replies that it's unable to complete the request at this time after trying for a few seconds. We can't do it either from Siri from our phones, but we can use the remote app to control the Apple TV.

The Apple TV did a software update in that time, I've restarted it, the HomePods, and the network without any change. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

A lot of times you have to sign back into your Apple ID on the updated devices. Check the account settings to see if it's wanting you to do that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Apple TV has decided it no longer wants to control my tv’s volume. Had anyone else had this issue and solved it? Never had a problem before.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My Apple TV has decided it no longer wants to control my tv’s volume. Had anyone else had this issue and solved it? Never had a problem before.

HDMI CEC: it really do be like that sometimes.

(Does your ATV still turn the TV on and off?)

Presuming you have already confirmed the ATV, TV and anything in between are still configured to send and respect volume +/- signals;

If your ATV runs direct to the TV, turn one or both off and on again or disconnect and reconnect the cable. If it runs through a receiver, disconnect and reconnect the cable running to the receiver. This should basically kick all the devices awake and force them to acknowledge eachother properly.

Sometimes my TV forgets it's supposed to be outputting to ARC and changes the sound source to its own speakers, which sometimes confuses the ATV. In an ARC setup the TV will be sending its received volume +/- signals to the receiver so this shouldn't ever be the problem and is fixed by simply telling the TV to output to ARC again but you never know.

If none of that works then something weirder's going on, but most troubles of this sort come down to CEC being Like That.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I sometimes I just turn CEC off and back on on the Apple TV to get it working. The worst part is the Apple TV is one of the most reliable CEC devices.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, CEC has always been such a wonky standard. It'll work for what seems like forever sometimes, then one day, poof! It says gently caress you and decides to just stop lmao.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t think my AppleTV has ever controlled the sound on my tv but I figured that was because it is using the optical out to go to a sonos soundbar. The soundbar has an IR receiver though so I can use the regular tv remote to adjust it, or use the sonos app.

Would be nice if the ATV remote did it though because that’s all I am using on the TV most of the time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

priznat posted:

I don’t think my AppleTV has ever controlled the sound on my tv but I figured that was because it is using the optical out to go to a sonos soundbar. The soundbar has an IR receiver though so I can use the regular tv remote to adjust it, or use the sonos app.

Would be nice if the ATV remote did it though because that’s all I am using on the TV most of the time.

It does. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225#volume

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Lost volume control a few days ago too. I think I tried toggling CEC and power cycling my receiver and TV but didn't work, kinda. The normal off on my TV isn't a complete off. Found a hard power switch on it to fully power it off and power cycling it that way did the trick.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Can someone explain to me how, through Family Sharing, one can access another’s Channel subscriptions?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209670

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, I have the mute button programmed to turn my old, non-HDMI receiver on and off.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Was there an update or something that borked the 3rd gen ATVs at some point? I can still browse music in Home Sharing via "Computers," but can't actually play anything. It's not an audio issue, like the "player" interface doesn't even come up. Meanwhile it works fine as an AirPlay target still.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Minidust posted:

Was there an update or something that borked the 3rd gen ATVs at some point? I can still browse music in Home Sharing via "Computers," but can't actually play anything. It's not an audio issue, like the "player" interface doesn't even come up. Meanwhile it works fine as an AirPlay target still.

If it's specifically home sharing that's busted you might need to log out/back in of the home sharing poo poo on the ATV and/or the host computer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man, this newer remote looked so good on paper, but god drat does it suck. Feels very inconsistent, and the button placement is all off. Even after all this time I'm still not used to it.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My 3 year old can turn the tv off with the new remote upstairs, not with the old remote downstairs. New remote better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s perfect, but new remote is fine for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have zero complaints with the new remote, I really like it.

Fedule posted:

HDMI CEC: it really do be like that sometimes.

(Does your ATV still turn the TV on and off?)

Presuming you have already confirmed the ATV, TV and anything in between are still configured to send and respect volume +/- signals;

If your ATV runs direct to the TV, turn one or both off and on again or disconnect and reconnect the cable. If it runs through a receiver, disconnect and reconnect the cable running to the receiver. This should basically kick all the devices awake and force them to acknowledge eachother properly.

Sometimes my TV forgets it's supposed to be outputting to ARC and changes the sound source to its own speakers, which sometimes confuses the ATV. In an ARC setup the TV will be sending its received volume +/- signals to the receiver so this shouldn't ever be the problem and is fixed by simply telling the TV to output to ARC again but you never know.

If none of that works then something weirder's going on, but most troubles of this sort come down to CEC being Like That.

Weird thing is that the Apple TV still turns the tv on fine. It just won’t control the tv volume at all anymore. I’ve tried all the suggestions and nothing. It’s so strange!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For as ugly as it is, I find the Roku remote much easier and more comfortable to use compared to every iteration of the Apple TV remote.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dont know why apple cant design a decent remote. But they have all been varying levels of not great.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have zero complaints with the new remote, I really like it.

Weird thing is that the Apple TV still turns the tv on fine. It just won’t control the tv volume at all anymore. I’ve tried all the suggestions and nothing. It’s so strange!

Hold the Home and Volume down buttons to reset the remote. It worked for me at least

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I only used the new remote in the store but I also kinda hated it. Then again, I'm a weirdo that kinda loved the old-style Siri remote. If they had just made it shaped a little differently to easily differentiate the top from the bottom and added AirTag tracking to it, it woulda been perfect.

EDIT: And a mute button too. Shape it a little differently (wider at the top?), give it AirTag tracking, and add a mute button, and it's perfect.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 21, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best thing I did was get a silicone case for the tiny black remote. Makes it easier to find/harder to lose between the cushions and also is shaped so you can orient the right way in your hand without looking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly maybe we should be glad apple didn’t give us a puck shaped remote with the buttons placed radially

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
pretty sure i just lost my original 4k remote. then again, it's also impossible to look for, so i haven't considered buying a new one, as it might emerge from the sediment of a couch cushion one day

at least i've come to appreciate hdmi-cec support more. turns out double tapping the "back" button works as the return-to-home button, which means i only miss the original remote for the microphone and faster response, especially for typing text

i also noticed that the touch-based navigation does a better job of hating terrible response latency in apps. it's really grating to use direction-based buttons in certain apps

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 21, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I dont know why apple cant design a decent remote. But they have all been varying levels of not great.

I always thought the old aluminum remotes they used for years (and even packed in with computers and laptops) was great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mrking posted:

Hold the Home and Volume down buttons to reset the remote. It worked for me at least

This worked. Thanks so much! You’re the best :D

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kilometers Davis posted:

This worked. Thanks so much! You’re the best :D
I just had the same issue for the first time and remembered seeing that post. Worked for me too so thanks OP!

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I recently got a new TV and my Apple TV, which previously worked flawlessly, has an audio issue with this new TV. The sound is coming out of the soundbar about 120 milliseconds before the video. I can fix this by setting a manual delay on my soundbar, but that's a bit of a pain since it's the only HDMI input that has this issue so I have to constantly set/unset the manual delay every time I use the Apple TV.

Anyone else have this issue? Specifically, it's a Samsung brand soundbar hooked up to a Sony Bravia x85K through ARC. The old TV which worked fine was a Samsung TV and the soundbar was hooked up through optical out.

I've already tried turning Match Frame Rate On/Off which is a common suggestion I found online but that didn't solve it.

ETA: Also switching to optical out on this TV fixes the problem, although I'd prefer to figure out how to get the HDMI connection to be working properly (or, at the very least, would at least like to solve the mystery of why this is happening).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 31, 2022

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Never mind, misread.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

OldSenileGuy posted:

I only used the new remote in the store but I also kinda hated it. Then again, I'm a weirdo that kinda loved the old-style Siri remote. If they had just made it shaped a little differently to easily differentiate the top from the bottom and added AirTag tracking to it, it woulda been perfect.

EDIT: And a mute button too. Shape it a little differently (wider at the top?), give it AirTag tracking, and add a mute button, and it's perfect.

Not a complete solution, but there’s a few types of these remote covers that have space for an AirTag.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/31/nomad-apple-tv-remote-airtag-cover/

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
On the last-gen 4k, anybody else having issues with audio channels cutting out? I lose the center channel audio every so often and have to unplug the AppleTV to get it back; it only started recently. I noticed it in the Prime app at first but when it happens it happens to every application now. I dunno if it’s the AppleTV or the HDMI-CEC connection I have set up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

try a different hdmi cable

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I think it’s the AppleTV itself, because the center channel audio immediately comes back after I unplug the power cable and plug it back in. I’ve seen other people say online it might be a software issue with Dolby but I dunno; I might upgrade to the beta of tvOS 16 because it sounds like that might fix it? Will post an update if it does.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

maybe, but trying a different cable is really easy

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They "upgraded" the YouTube app in the past couple days and now it sucks rear end. It now supports the "match framerate" option of the AppleTV, which SOUNDS good, until you realize that every video and ad is at a different framerate, which means the TV blacking out to change it's refresh rate every time you start a video and then every time it switches from video to ad and vice versa. Sometimes it even switches between ads.

They gotta fix this. Or at least give us the option to designate certain apps to ignore the "match framerate" option.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish the AppleTV had an option like the browser + vinegar I use on my iphone, it's a much better solution than the terrible app there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

They "upgraded" the YouTube app in the past couple days and now it sucks rear end. It now supports the "match framerate" option of the AppleTV, which SOUNDS good, until you realize that every video and ad is at a different framerate, which means the TV blacking out to change it's refresh rate every time you start a video and then every time it switches from video to ad and vice versa. Sometimes it even switches between ads.

They gotta fix this. Or at least give us the option to designate certain apps to ignore the "match framerate" option.

That's what that is! Wife and I were watching YouTube videos last night and the sound wouldn't begin for the first few seconds of each video or ad and it looked like the TV was switching inputs each time.