Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'd imagine even if the A15 eventually throttles while playing a game, it will still be higher performance than an A12 with a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you care about audio so much I think infuse does lossless audio. I might be wrong as I just have 2 big boy HomePods on stereo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kri kri posted:

If you care about audio so much I think infuse does lossless audio. I might be wrong as I just have 2 big boy HomePods on stereo.

Let me hook up 5 of them for a surround sound please

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If Apple said 'ok we'll let the 128gb model with the ethernet port* bistream plex' I would just sigh and finally pay for a replacement to the 2017 model.

* rear end in a top hat move, who the hell needs 128gb on an AppleTV?

If you could download YouTube videos that would be cool

Wishful thinking I know

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wonder if that’s an Apple limitation, you’d think that’d be a selling feature for their premium subscription.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

But why?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any way to get Vinegar for YouTube on an ATV?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder if that’s an Apple limitation, you’d think that’d be a selling feature for their premium subscription.

Nah, Google's gone after tools like Youtube-dl because even with a premium sub they still need you watching videos on the site to get the watch data. You can download videos on mobile but you still need to watch them in the app.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to get Vinegar for YouTube on an ATV?

Vinegar is a Safari extension, so sadly no.

As far as I know the only way to block in-app ads is at the network level with a Pi-hole.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

If you could download YouTube videos that would be cool

Wishful thinking I know
Why would you want to download YouTube videos to your Apple TV? Genuinely curious.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Again just pay like $16 a year for yt premium. Indian VPN.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xabi posted:

Why would you want to download YouTube videos to your Apple TV? Genuinely curious.

I download youtube videos and then watch them on my apple tv (not exactly the same thing you asked but...) Because Youtube's concept of play lists and played videos suck. I download whole channels including their playlist into plex, and then watch them with Infuse on iPad and AppleTV. Mostly these are tutorial and classroom type videos where I want all of the ones I haven't seen to be seen in order, and if I decide I don't like a particular lesson, I just mark the entire playlist played.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hughlander posted:

I download youtube videos and then watch them on my apple tv (not exactly the same thing you asked but...) Because Youtube's concept of play lists and played videos suck. I download whole channels including their playlist into plex, and then watch them with Infuse on iPad and AppleTV. Mostly these are tutorial and classroom type videos where I want all of the ones I haven't seen to be seen in order, and if I decide I don't like a particular lesson, I just mark the entire playlist played.

Are there radarr/sonarr type apps for this? I would like to give this a try, it would be great to just pull my subscriptions into a nas automatically and then clear them out after watching.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

priznat posted:

Are there radarr/sonarr type apps for this? I would like to give this a try, it would be great to just pull my subscriptions into a nas automatically and then clear them out after watching.

There’s some web front ends for YouTube-dl but I do it myself through some scripts that call yt-dip. Like if I want the Joe Smith channel but he links a video by John Brown I don’t want his stuff. But yes it basically just runs yt-Dlp and then some Plex api python scripts in a cron job and each morning the playlists are updated.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

priznat posted:

Yes there are multiple

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone successfully used the "Wireless Sync Calibrate" tool when using HomePods as your TV speaker?

I have a HomePod pair that I'm using as speakers for the TV in the guest room, and the sync seems to be just a bit off. But when I try the Wireless Sync Calibrate tool in the ATV, it doesn't play any sounds out of the HomePods, only out of the TV's internal speaker. That seems broken to me, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has anyone successfully used the "Wireless Sync Calibrate" tool when using HomePods as your TV speaker?

I have a HomePod pair that I'm using as speakers for the TV in the guest room, and the sync seems to be just a bit off. But when I try the Wireless Sync Calibrate tool in the ATV, it doesn't play any sounds out of the HomePods, only out of the TV's internal speaker. That seems broken to me, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

I can't loving stand this. The sync ONLY plays sounds from the lovely TV speaker(s). I really don't know what the point of it is.

This drove me nuts when I tried Airplaying to a pair of Sonos One speakers that had horrible sync issues.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wouldn’t the point be that the HomePods are listening to the tv speaker and attempting to sync to that? Or am I misunderstanding what’s happening?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the point is to test the latency. i tried using the feature and gave up as it seemed to make the desync worse - but it doesn't help that there is zero f'ing feedback and onboarding

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Wouldn’t the point be that the HomePods are listening to the tv speaker and attempting to sync to that? Or am I misunderstanding what’s happening?

I don't think so, because the iPhone is involved somehow. I assumed the iPhone was acting as the mic to test the latency, but it doesn't work if it won't play the drat tones out of the HomePods.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok, I spent the past hour reading various Reddit posts and Apple forum posts about this issue, and I think maybe I solved it? I'm pretty sure it looks better now but it's tough to say 100% because once you spend this long judging sync, your eyes start playing tricks on you.

Anyway, I think it's intentional that the tones don't play out of the HomePods. From what I can tell, the Apple devices already know how much latency there is from the AppleTV to the HomePods, but what they don't know is how much latency there is between the AppleTV and your TV (ie: is it connected directly? Does it go through a receiver or other intermediate box that adds delay?).

So the phone listens to the tones through the "regular" tv speakers to set the proper delay on the HomePods.

But here's where it gets tricky:

From what I can tell, each TV output/framerate needs it's own calibration. So if you run the recommended setup of "Menus at 1080p or 4K SDR 60Hz, Turn ON Match Framrerate and Dynamic Range), then once you start watching something that changes the frame rate to 23.98, you'll be back out of sync. So you need to manually set the output of your ATV to each frame rate that you use and run the calibration. I'm considering this verified because once you run the calibration at 4K 60Hz, the setting reads as "Calibrated." If you try to run it again, it will say "This is already calibrated, would you like to re-calibrate?" or something like that. But if you then switch to 4K 23.98Hz, it no longer lists as "Calibrated" and acts as if you're running calibration for the first time.

So I calibrated it for 4K SDR 60Hz (the menus), 4K SDR 23.98 Hz (most SDR content), 4K Dolby Vision 23.98 Hz (DV Content), and 4K HDR 23.98 Hz (any non-DV HDR Content).

I think it looks better now, but like I said, it's hard to say for sure. I'll look at it again with fresh eyes later and see if it still looks good to me.

I have a new ATV on order, and when I get that I'll probably do all the 24Hz, 25Hz, and 60Hz options as well, but those are really edge cases that shouldn't come up very often.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 31, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How come Apple or really nobody besides Nvidia, talks about their upscaling in their streaming device? Looking at the ATV page, nowhere does it even mention upscaling. Is this because everybody is doing it in software and using the same package?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

phosdex posted:

How come Apple or really nobody besides Nvidia, talks about their upscaling in their streaming device? Looking at the ATV page, nowhere does it even mention upscaling. Is this because everybody is doing it in software and using the same package?

I doubt any significant market segment for apple products cares at all about upscaling.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

phosdex posted:

afaik nvidia's AI upscaling is mostly a hit or miss sharpening filter that sometimes looks a bit better but sometimes (especially in darker scenes) introduces noise or other artifacts. It's marketing buzz.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’ve seen the shield fanboys rave about that “AI” upscale but every example I’ve seen is an ugly oversharpen and given I have sharpness cranked down on my TV I’d have no desire to use that.

One day the results I’ve gotten out of Topaz Labs AI suite will be possible in real time, but not sure if it’ll be needed then.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

kri kri posted:

I doubt any significant market segment for apple products cares at all about upscaling.

Come on, if Apple started marketing the ATV as having better upscaling than the competition, that market segment would begin caring.

Seems weird that marketing hasn't gone that route for anybody other than Nvidia.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's because no one cares OP.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

phosdex posted:

Come on, if Apple started marketing the ATV as having better upscaling than the competition, that market segment would begin caring.

Seems weird that marketing hasn't gone that route for anybody other than Nvidia.

It's because no one else sells products in that specific market segment. No one competes with Apple and Nvidia on relatively high-end streaming devices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Everything I watch is probably already 4k and if it’s not I sure can’t tell.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Upscaling is only really useful for downloaded stuff and that's not a segment of the market Apple gives a crap about. That said I've watched a bunch of downloaded stuff and the scaler in the Apple TV is fine in my experience.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I mean, technically, isn't everything that comes out of the AppleTV upscaled? If you have your ATV set to 4K with both matching options turned on, it will change the frame rate of the output, but it's always outputting a UHD signal. It's just doing a normal everyday upscale and not a fancy AI-assisted sharpening-and-smoothing-added upscale.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe I don't have the correct term? When I watch a dvd rip of Cheers in Plex, the image is being upscaled to whatever res tv I have right? Same thing when I'm watching a 720 stream of espn hockey. It has to get upscaled to 4k on my tv.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

phosdex posted:

Maybe I don't have the correct term? When I watch a dvd rip of Cheers in Plex, the image is being upscaled to whatever res tv I have right? Same thing when I'm watching a 720 stream of espn hockey. It has to get upscaled to 4k on my tv.

That's correct. Modern TV's are fixed-resolution screens, so everything displayed on them is being upscaled if it's a smaller resolution than the resolution of the TV. It's just a matter of whether the upscaling is being done by your streaming box or by the TV itself.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So I bought the new 128G 4K yesterday, can someone explain a bit more about the thread networking support it has?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ars had this yesterday, Thread is some part of Matter or something. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/smart-home-firms-hype-matter-launch-with-lots-of-caveats-and-promises/

I got the new one, 4K HDR option now says HDR10+ on my Samsung tv.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
TL:DR: Thread is a mesh networking standard that lets smart home stuff relay and talk to each other. Matter is the smarthome device standard that allows a given device to work in across smarthome “frameworks” (think Works with Alexa, HomeKit-capable, Google Home stuff).

Full details here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/matter-and-thread-could-fix-smart-home-compatibility-but-dont-get-excited-yet/

So the AppleTV’s Thread support allows it to communicate directly to other Thread devices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thread is conceptually the beta version of Matter. It's close to the same protocol and uses the same technologies (ipv6, wifi, etc) but Matter formalizes the standard so that every device manufacturer can take part. Thread is mostly just Apple Stuff.

In theory any Thread device can get a software update to Matter, but it depends on the processing power of the IoT as I believe Matter has more overhead.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

trilljester posted:

So I bought the new 128G 4K yesterday, can someone explain a bit more about the thread networking support it has?

The 2021 Apple TVs and the 128GB 2022 Apple TV have a thread radio and can act as a thread border router: https://www.howtogeek.com/830124/what-is-a-thread-border-router-and-do-i-need-to-buy-one/, which basically is the bridge between the thread network and wifi/ethernet/internet.

xzzy posted:

Thread is conceptually the beta version of Matter. It's close to the same protocol and uses the same technologies (ipv6, wifi, etc) but Matter formalizes the standard so that every device manufacturer can take part. Thread is mostly just Apple Stuff.

In theory any Thread device can get a software update to Matter, but it depends on the processing power of the IoT as I believe Matter has more overhead.

Thread is just the communication protocol, like a newer version of Zigbee basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I set up our new Apple TV 4K and for some reason the YouTube app is showing a loving confirmation dialog every time you hit the back button to exit it. And if you say Yes, it just shows a black screen and doesn’t go back to the menu. WTF

Edit: deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app somehow mostly fixed this? No confirmation dialog now then it shows a black screen for a second. No “match content” turned on, just random black screen. YouTube app really is the worst one.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 5, 2022