Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

smackfu posted:

I set up our new Apple TV 4K and for some reason the YouTube app is showing a loving confirmation dialog every time you hit the back button to exit it. And if you say Yes, it just shows a black screen and doesn’t go back to the menu. WTF

Edit: deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app somehow mostly fixed this? No confirmation dialog now then it shows a black screen for a second. No “match content” turned on, just random black screen. YouTube app really is the worst one.
i haven't done it in a while, but i definitely had to force close the youtube app several times a month when using it when i first got my atv. it's by far the worst app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it’s like, every time you install the YouTube app it enrolls you in a new set of A/B tests. They must be testing a confirmation box and I got unlucky.

Also I probably wasn’t on the newest version of the YouTube app on my old Apple TV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Could’ve been a bug with the new YouTube update. I noticed yesterday that the YouTube app updated. On my older 4K.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got the new 4k and all is well especially the new remote but now when I pick up my phone or iPad the remote screen is open on top of the lock screen and I have to dismiss it before I can actually use my device. Paradoxically it seems to happen most immediately after I've used the hardware remote. Any ideas?

Violator
May 15, 2003

qirex posted:

I got the new 4k and all is well especially the new remote but now when I pick up my phone or iPad the remote screen is open on top of the lock screen and I have to dismiss it before I can actually use my device. Paradoxically it seems to happen most immediately after I've used the hardware remote. Any ideas?

Hmm, just noticed this just now that you mention it but on my AppleTV HD. I activated a shortcut on my Watch that turns on my AppleTV and when I looked at my phone the screen was on and the remote app was active.

On a side note, if folks haven’t played with Shortcuts for AppleTV it’s kind of neat. I created a shortcut called “morning cartoons” that turns my living room lights on to 50%, turns on the AppleTV and tv, opens the PBS Kids app to their live stream, and sets the volume on the connected HomePod mini to 50%. With one shortcut I can get my kid set with some entertainment while I make them breakfast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Violator posted:

Hmm, just noticed this just now that you mention it but on my AppleTV HD. I activated a shortcut on my Watch that turns on my AppleTV and when I looked at my phone the screen was on and the remote app was active.

On a side note, if folks haven’t played with Shortcuts for AppleTV it’s kind of neat. I created a shortcut called “morning cartoons” that turns my living room lights on to 50%, turns on the AppleTV and tv, opens the PBS Kids app to their live stream, and sets the volume on the connected HomePod mini to 50%. With one shortcut I can get my kid set with some entertainment while I make them breakfast.

Are shortcuts aware of appletv apps now? I had looked at it before and it was frustratingly limited like “turn on apple tv” and that’s about it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, it’s still pretty limited but you can launch apps now. Luckily the PBS Kids app launches into the live stream. There are more actions now (switch users, start screen saver, fast forward/rewind content, etc) but you can’t do anything with content (like play a specific movie or something).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ah yeah I was looking to see if I can launch plex, select user and then play a playlist.. can only do the first of those unfortunately.

Shortcuts rule they’re just really annoyingly limited in a lot of cases, wish Apple would expand them significantly!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anybody else lose the ability to control volume since the latest update? My ATV remote used to control my receiver's volume fine, literally nothing has changed in my setup for five years, now it just won't work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

your friend wicka posted:

Anybody else lose the ability to control volume since the latest update? My ATV remote used to control my receiver's volume fine, literally nothing has changed in my setup for five years, now it just won't work.

This happened to me about a month ago. Just stopped working one day afters years--was super frustrating. No amount of deleting/adding my remote commands or restarting the TV would fix it. I ended up resetting the remote itself, and that seemed to solve it. Guessing my IR blaster was bugging out.

quote:

Press and hold the TV/Control Centre button and the Volume Down button at the same time. ...
Release the buttons, then wait 5–10 seconds. ...
After your remote has restarted, a Connected notification will appear on your TV screen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This happened to me about a month ago. Just stopped working one day afters years--was super frustrating. No amount of deleting/adding my remote commands or restarting the TV would fix it. I ended up resetting the remote itself, and that seemed to solve it. Guessing my IR blaster was bugging out.

You are a saint, thanks, that fixed it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wait you can reset the remote? Mine bugged out last year and I’ve been having to use a third remote for volume like some sort of caveman.

I Can never fully put the receiver remote away though because sometimes the ATV won’t turn it on like it’s supposed to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heads up Walmart.com has 32GB Apple TV HD (2nd Generation, Latest Model) for $59. I needed a new remote for my current one anyway so might as well just order this.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16184875-3...5#post159000205

Edit: Oh ffs this is the 1080p version lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The new remote is $59 on its own, so enjoy the free ATV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

Heads up Walmart.com has 32GB Apple TV HD (2nd Generation, Latest Model)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

The new remote is $59 on its own, so enjoy the free ATV.

Yeah I was half tempted to keep the order just for the new remote but I have no use for the 1080 ATV at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I was half tempted to keep the order just for the new remote but I have no use for the 1080 ATV at this point.

Ok well poo poo despite me canceling the order like 20 seconds after I ordered it they still shipped the stupid thing.

I’m probably just going to keep it anyway because I do need a new remote but I legit had no idea they made a 1080p only ATV this generation. I do have a 4K ATV in the bedroom that’s hooked up to a 1080 tv so I could swap it but eh.

Seems kinda silly tbh. Oh well!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They don’t actually make the HD anymore but Walmart still has old inventory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that model is 7 years old now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Idk where to complain about this but the Apple Music app on my ATV will not load any of the playlists in the classical category.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

phosdex posted:

Idk where to complain about this but the Apple Music app on my ATV will not load any of the playlists in the classical category.

That’s a known bug, the TV app is unable to Handel some genre types

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They don’t show up in the Liszt?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sometimes you have to Bach out and then try again before they show up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is it possible the app is just Haydn the playlists?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Holst on there, classical is an issue on the aTV?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah it seems the songs aren’t Chopin the app

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Playlist inclusion has always been a Glass ceiling for classical

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Oh cool they found a way to make YouTube even worse

Pressing exit here just leaves it hung on a black screen, too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I had that! Deleting and reinstalling YouTube fixed it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

smackfu posted:

I had that! Deleting and reinstalling YouTube fixed it.

Didn’t work for me, unfortunately.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That's how the dumb Roku Yutube apps work and I noticed one of my Apple TV's changed to YTTV's dumb new Android style guide on my Apple TV. They must have pushed it to save all the active thumbnail action that the ATV version had for years.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
new atv remote has bluetooth issues apparently

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1670828309

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's happened to me twice so far where the remote becomes disconnected and completely unresponsive. Both times it resolved itself in 10-15 minutes, but that's a supremely annoying 10-15 minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the phone remote work in that time period at least?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
OK, I'm going crazy or something, but is there a way to Love a song on Apple Music on the Apple TV app? When I start a song, I can briefly see the interface to allow me to do so, but how do I do it when the song is playing? I tried pressing up, down but nothing is showing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trilljester posted:

OK, I'm going crazy or something, but is there a way to Love a song on Apple Music on the Apple TV app? When I start a song, I can briefly see the interface to allow me to do so, but how do I do it when the song is playing? I tried pressing up, down but nothing is showing.

Just tell Siri you like it.

Like there should be a way in the interface like you said but that’s how I end up doing it even on the phone because it always works.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

trilljester posted:

Yeah press the menu or back button, that gives you the whole track interface view.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Not sure if this has been talked about, but with the YouTube app, if there is an add on my home selection I can't move down into the other videos. I can select the ad or go back. Is there a fix for this? Or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to get rid of this new apple TV UI that replaces the big boxes of stuff you want to watch for Apple ads?