Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Big boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
My list of stuff to watch where big boxes of like the movie posters, now instead we get ads and the list to the bottom

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Babylon 5 is on Appletv+?!?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That's the regular apple TV built in app not a special apple one. Like I get this when I press home on my remote

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh drat you gotta buy the seasons not part of the streaming, carry on.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Used to look like this

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

That's the regular apple TV built in app not a special apple one. Like I get this when I press home on my remote

You can change the home button to go to the actual home screen instead of the Apple TV app

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wondering, if you don’t subscribe to AppleTV+, is the whole first tab of the TV app still filled with ads for those shows?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

smackfu posted:

Wondering, if you don’t subscribe to AppleTV+, is the whole first tab of the TV app still filled with ads for those shows?

It's filled with "next episodes" of shows you're watching on other streaming apps but only if you've allowed the Apple TV to access the data on them for that purpose.

My Apple TV has never been 100% of these connections so I can't speak to that scenario.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There seems to have been a recent update where when you are in "Watch Now" and you select one of the items in your "Up Next" list, it scrolls the whole screen up so the "Up Next" list is at the top of the screen and below it is a bunch of ads for more Apple TV+ shows.

Whereas before, you could select and scroll through your "Up Next" list and it would stay at the bottom of your screen, with most of it being taken up by the preview of whatever you are hovering on.

It's weird and I don't like it

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

There seems to have been a recent update where when you are in "Watch Now" and you select one of the items in your "Up Next" list, it scrolls the whole screen up so the "Up Next" list is at the top of the screen and below it is a bunch of ads for more Apple TV+ shows.

Whereas before, you could select and scroll through your "Up Next" list and it would stay at the bottom of your screen, with most of it being taken up by the preview of whatever you are hovering on.

It's weird and I don't like it

Yes this exactly. It's incredibly frustrating

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CaptainCrunch posted:

It's filled with "next episodes" of shows you're watching on other streaming apps but only if you've allowed the Apple TV to access the data on them for that purpose.

My Apple TV has never been 100% of these connections so I can't speak to that scenario.

Netflix, weirdly, won't connect to that service and it's jarringly frustrating. It's almost the best way to search the various streaming services to see if a movie is available.

Also frustrating: it refuses to believe that I own all of the Office, and instead insists that it's available only on Peacock.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

jokes posted:

Netflix, weirdly, won't connect to that service and it's jarringly frustrating. It's almost the best way to search the various streaming services to see if a movie is available.

Also frustrating: it refuses to believe that I own all of the Office, and instead insists that it's available only on Peacock.

In my experience the TV app is very good at showing me stuff I don’t care about and awful at being useful so as a long time Apple TV user the first thing I do is set that TV button to homescreen, the only time I venture into the app now is to watch one of the few iTunes movies I own. As Apple pushes into services more and more I hope this isn’t some sort of wheezing canary, but from the Settings app, to wallet, the App Store Apple is looking for every nook and cranny to shove subscription ads. I’m all for a cheaper Apple TV, but there’s a reason I don’t buy an ad infested Roku or fire stick.

On a related note, I wonder how many people are really paying for TV+, I’ve had it for years and never paid a dime via various promotions and giveaways and the whole TV promotion gives off a faint whiff of trying really hard to make Fetch happen to the point apple was willing to eat the entire bill for NFL Sunday ticket to give subscribers before the NFL said no to protect their broadcast partners.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

jokes posted:

We dumped Netflix early last year, ended up getting my sister's login so we could easily have access to the entire catalog (I'm a Plex user), and quickly realized they don't include their results in AppleTV's unified search. Their content also isn't included in the "Up Next" section within the AppleTV app.

Netflix sucks.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 12, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's Amazon Prime that has issues playing videos you select from the TV app too.

It's a good idea in general, just has some longstanding bugs that make me reluctant to use it. It only gets used to find Apple content.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Corb3t posted:

We dumped Netflix early last year, ended up getting my sister's login so we could easily have access to the entire catalog (I'm a Plex user), and quickly realized they don't include their results in AppleTV's unified search. Their content also isn't included in the "Up Next" section within the AppleTV app.

Netflix sucks.

It used to, back when AppleTV was brand new. That was like its main selling point, that everything would be aggregated together into a single continuous interface, including Netflix.

Then Netflix got into some slapfight with Apple and now they're off in their own little world you have to click into manually

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's just a bad user experience overall - if we want to find a specific movie or tv show, we don't care where we stream it from, we just want the results to surface with the cheapest/easiest way to watch it. We don't want to have to search the web first to figure out where.

HBO Max/Disney+/Hulu are happily surfacing results in the hopes that we choose their app to watch the content, Netflix thinks we love Netflix so much that we'll go to their app specifically to search for something. Maybe we're a niche-case who has way too many streaming apps, but omitting their results just means we're incentivized to prefer another app's catalog.

Fortunately for us, Netflix's catalog continues to go down the shitter and they cancel every good show we've ever watched on the platform.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 12, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a tale as old as time, the distribution/infrastructure companies always seem to get into this mindset where they think customers are super invested in THEIR brand, when what they really want is whatever content or device they actually get to directly enjoy.

Remembering when the iPhone came out and AT&T/Cingular thought they could dictate terms to Apple because no way would any customer leave their wonderful AT&T service just because an iPhone was also available on another carrier. Their execs kept going on the news talking about how customers love AT&T service and think it's way more important to keep that service and not switch to some other service than whatever "handset" some "handset maker" might produce. It was hilarious, it's like listening to some Bell System guy from the 60s who would send a certified technician to your house to install a wall-mounted phone that was the property of the phone company

Now we've got all these content producers thinking we care about what company owns what catalogs of what IPs. OK so I want to watch a Marvel movie, who owns that this week? That TV show that everyone's talking about, who makes that, WB? Is that a part of Time-Warner or HBO or whatever now? Which app do I need? Am I already paying for that subscription?

Back in the day you'd have studio execs getting all huffy about "Customers want X and Y from a Paramount picture" or "Customers know what kinds of pictures to expect from Universal" as though anyone gave the slightest gently caress what logo came up at the beginning. Like there are going to be studio partisans who only watch WB movies and others who will be deep in the stone cold ground before they watch a RKO Radio Picture :argh:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

xzzy posted:

I think it's Amazon Prime that has issues playing videos you select from the TV app too.

It's a good idea in general, just has some longstanding bugs that make me reluctant to use it. It only gets used to find Apple content.

The prime app has always been buggy in my experience.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In fairness it's pretty easy to remember who owns Marvel stuff. Also I cared about which studio made a movie but that was mostly because I thought the Universal ident was cool. Still do.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It used to, back when AppleTV was brand new. That was like its main selling point, that everything would be aggregated together into a single continuous interface, including Netflix.

Then Netflix got into some slapfight with Apple and now they're off in their own little world you have to click into manually

Nah, Netflix got rid of their public API years before the TV app was released. It has nothing to do with Apple specifically, Netflix just doesn't want anyone to be able to browse through a straightforward library of their content. Maintaining a heavily curated, convoluted interface is a key part of their terrible business model. They want you to feel like you're browsing endless content and "accidentally" discovering the perfect show for you.

Also you guys can use Reelgood for finding where to stream stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Might as well plug JustWatch which will very plainly tell me what media is available from what service.

https://www.justwatch.com

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The other thing with Netflix and Apple is to participate in the TV app features they would need to share viewer data with Apple and they absolutely do not abide by that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I could swear I used first-gen AppleTV for like a year with Netflix fully integrated, and then it just stopped working. I remember news stories about the change and everything. Am I just crazy?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Back during the first gen days there was no unified TV app, that came in just a couple years ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The first gen Apple TV ran OSX Tiger and had a Pentium M with a 40gb HDD

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it's apparently a thing to just install full OSX on first gen ATVs and use them like a Mac Mini.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK yeah I don't mean the FIRST first gen AppleTV, the one you could load TV episodes onto over the network and so on. I mean the first one that launched with a unified TV app and all the wibbly shiny hover buttons in the UI.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I could swear I used first-gen AppleTV for like a year with Netflix fully integrated, and then it just stopped working. I remember news stories about the change and everything. Am I just crazy?

Well, one of us is crazy, I'm just not sure which. But I vividly remember the TV app being basically useless on launch because it didn't support Netflix. Would've been the 4th gen Apple TV, I think.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The funny thing is when you hear about a movie and search on Apple TV and it tells you it is only available through iTunes Store and then it turns out it is on Netflix. Emily the Criminal was a recent example.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

smackfu posted:

The funny thing is when you hear about a movie and search on Apple TV and it tells you it is only available through iTunes Store and then it turns out it is on Netflix. Emily the Criminal was a recent example.

I think they call that working as intended, and yeah as an early Apple TV HD (4th Gen) owner Netflix was never part of the TV app.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yep, it just hurts Netflix - many users will just end up paying, or forgo watching the content altogether unless they happen to stumble upon it while exploring the Netflix app. Apple would prefer if Netflix just opted into Siri/TV+ app so their media would be "prioritized" over Apple's own paid store!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 13, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it was that they showed off Netflix shows in the aggregated results during a keynote demo or something, and then when it shipped it didn't actually have it? I don't know.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

FCKGW posted:

Might as well plug JustWatch which will very plainly tell me what media is available from what service.

https://www.justwatch.com

This is what I use too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Maybe it was that they showed off Netflix shows in the aggregated results during a keynote demo or something, and then when it shipped it didn't actually have it? I don't know.

This article makes it sound like Netflix did appear in search results at launch: https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/19/tv-app-netflix/

I think I might've been the crazy one here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not watching a movie on Netflix is good for Netflix since it means they don't have to serve you anything at that moment.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the bluetooth issue on the latest 4k gen 3 atv is not looking good

https://twitter.com/Flatpanels/status/1616040553132527625

e: apparently there's also a "revamp" of the apple tv coming next year, and somehow, it was supposed to have come out this year?

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1615825578975797262

not really sure how that make sense, unless they're going through chip inventory at a faster pace. nothing in the article suggests any non-incremental improvement

non-paywalled recap:

https://twitter.com/iMore/status/1615908161080201223

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 19, 2023

Violator
May 15, 2003

Everything is weird, not sure if it’s a chip/COVID/China thing. The intro videos for the new computers released a few days ago had metadata and file name text that suggested everything was supposed to be released last October. All of their release dates have been weird the last year.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Apple has a 3+ year product pipeline so things being hosed in 2020-2021 could definitely still be impacting product releases today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the jellyfin tvos app is finally available in the app store btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKF5GtBIxpM

i tried it out, but it failed to detect a bunch of stuff, so i'm going to let someone else mess around with it for a bit first