Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I will never use a non-ATV to stream poo poo to my TV. A friend uses the built-in TV apps because they're "fine" and I'm half-considering just giving them my ATV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

These are the people that buy the $25 fire stick and think it works fine.

Buys a $1000 tv and the cheapest media device possible.

I think the apple tv is cool and nice, but also those people are correct that a cheap streaming usb stick or the TV's internal software does work fine for most people who do not have computer brain

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Those people then text you all the time asking why their TV is so slow because the thing is loading half a gig of ads every time you go to the home screen.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's also nice it has some built in calibration so you don't have to fiddle with someone else's tv settings

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really like having access to the aTV's remote in control center, as well as getting notifications for entering text on my iPhone. Plus using it as a HomeKit hub so my Hue lights and Ecobee can be accessed from the control center even when I'm not at home.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I think the apple tv is cool and nice, but also those people are correct that a cheap streaming usb stick or the TV's internal software does work fine for most people who do not have computer brain

Those people don’t know any better. Set my mom up with 2 Apple TVs I’d never have her suffer with a fire tv.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

jokes posted:

I will never use a non-ATV to stream poo poo to my TV. A friend uses the built-in TV apps because they're "fine" and I'm half-considering just giving them my ATV.

My brother uses his cable provider set top box and I’m tempted to get him an Apple TV for his wedding present

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I feel the AppleTV pipeline of converts passing on their older AppleTVs when they upgrade is what converts new, non techie, folks to the appletv, even the older ones are lightyears ahead of any other set top box in useability.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Really you have to blame Apple for the lack of take up.

They could easily sell it for $50 less, have a much bigger marketshare and easily make it back from network effects, but they refuse to drop their profit margin on a hardware dongle that’s solely useful for accessing paid content via their interface, via their App Store apps, which they get a cut of.

Where is the 1080p version for $50 or $75?

They’re the biggest company in the world, with insane amounts of cash sitting around and they’re just hurting themselves by being greedy on stuff that should obviously be a loss leader.

Same with the HomePods, they’re better when you have a stereo pair, they’re better when you have one in every room, and their voice recognition will get better the more users they have.

But they’ve stuck to inflated prices for years with no change. Their marketshare in computer tube speakers is bad and they’re far from being the market leader in voice recognition or features.

They should not be positioning at a 3x price premium (vs. Amazon) when they’re coming from behind in all respects.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought the 1080p version for $70 :shrug:

It was on sale but still

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's 3x more expensive because it's 3x better. hth :tipshat:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
At the very least the purchase of a new Apple TV should come with a like one year subscription to AppleTV+

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

American McGay posted:

It's 3x more expensive because it's 3x better. hth :tipshat:

It’s that much better than the worst, cheapest usb sticks maybe. But it’s 6 -8x more expensive than those.

It doesn’t really matter, it’s not selling to nearly enough people to get the network effect they need to ‘win’, so they’re failing.

They’re completing with Netflix, in a world where half of all new TVs come with a Netflix button on the remote.

Mahoning posted:

At the very least the purchase of a new Apple TV should come with a like one year subscription to AppleTV+

Yeah, they give out free subscriptions a lot, but stupidly they bundle(d) it with iPhones & with mobile phone contracts rather than the obvious thing that it’s used on.

I’ve had it for free for 2 years due to a phone purchase, a warranty replacement, and a new mobile network.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't mind the higher price because of all my electronics I don't worry about upgrading it to keep up with the times/be a good little consumer.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
To be fair, I have a Roku Ultra 4k box that I paid $179 for, and a 4k AppleTV, and I don't see a difference between the two.
If anything, the Ultra is more flexible, but I still love the ATV too :h:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would love prices to be cheaper too, but their analytics undoubtedly says they can’t put themselves forward as a luxury brand if they don’t charge luxury prices.

How much is the Shield? That’s the only direct competition for what the ATV does and I’m sure it’s around $150.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

The NVIDIA thing?
$199 for the pro version, $149.99 for the normal one.
Source

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would love prices to be cheaper too, but their analytics undoubtedly says they can’t put themselves forward as a luxury brand if they don’t charge luxury prices.

How much is the Shield? That’s the only direct competition for what the ATV does and I’m sure it’s around $150.

Eh? Isn’t literally every streaming device including smart TVs a direct competitor?

Every chromecast lets you cast to it from android / chrome, which is similar enough to AirPlay.

Are you thinking the games stuff is important?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Some people want an actual remote with an interface that isn’t dependent on a smart phone and doesn’t display ads or design their interface to showcase specific services.

The apple tv’s OS Home Screen is really clean, it’s easy to jump back into media you’ve already started watching, and the integration with iOS makes the extra cost worth it. We got ours 5+ years ago and appreciate the snappiness and even ended up buying another so we’d have one in the bedroom. Our TV’s interface is Google TV, and we travel with a Roku stick, so I’m familiar with the other devices, and they’re not nearly as snappy and ad-free as the Apple TVs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s like saying anything with 4 wheels is a competitor to Ferrari. I have Roku/Firestick devices and they’re clearly not what Apple is competing against.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roku makes more money on selling ads than they do selling actual hardware now. Amazons hardware division is unprofitable.

The AppleTV is priced fine, the rest of the field is artificially low to drive eyeballs for their ads.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Roku makes more money on selling ads than they do selling actual hardware now. Amazons hardware division is unprofitable.

The AppleTV is priced fine, the rest of the field is artificially low to drive eyeballs for their ads.

Pihole solves this :v:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I had a Roku connected to a pihole for a while and it tried to phone home so much that it would occasionally trip the default rate limiter. It was just insane.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

That makes sense.
But I have my Pihole so tightly configured it's ridiculous, and I'm ashamed :saddowns:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Apple TV 4K is the only TV thing I’ve ever gotten Steam link to work on flawlessly and the remote now controls sound and power. I don’t think anything has really come close for me.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
My pet theory is it's both the price and how big the apple tv is compared to competitors. Doesn't feel sleek at all unlike a stick running off usb power.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Sorry if I'm clogging up the thread but I had a few questions regarding the AppleTV. I bought an LG C2 back in 2022 and have been using the built in apps, but have been given the advice of using a streaming device by others and it seems like AppleTV is the overall best option.

Does this thing ever go on sale? Is it still worth it for someone who has never owned an apple product? Do I need an HDMI 2.1 cable for it? Is it better to hook it up directly to the TV or should I hook it up to the AVR instead?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry if I'm clogging up the thread but I had a few questions regarding the AppleTV. I bought an LG C2 back in 2022 and have been using the built in apps, but have been given the advice of using a streaming device by others and it seems like AppleTV is the overall best option.

Does this thing ever go on sale? Is it still worth it for someone who has never owned an apple product? Do I need an HDMI 2.1 cable for it? Is it better to hook it up directly to the TV or should I hook it up to the AVR instead?

It does go “on sale” but it’s maybe $20 off.

If you have a surround sound set up then hook it up to the AVR.

Edit: actually if you wait around I’ve seen the Ethernet version for $100

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 13, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also check the Apple refurb page.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
But make sure you're getting the 4K version (unless you don't care about such things, but since you shelled out the cash for an LG C2 I'd assume you do.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just found out in some thread that Steam Link is a thing on the Apple TV. How is it? Last time I tried SL it was rear end, but that was like when it first came out. I’m hoping to hide the ATX gaming PC in the basement (on the network switch) so I don’t have to have it tucked behind the TV stand anymore. If it’s any good, how does it work with keyboard/mouse games?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

IUG posted:

I just found out in some thread that Steam Link is a thing on the Apple TV. How is it? Last time I tried SL it was rear end, but that was like when it first came out. I’m hoping to hide the ATX gaming PC in the basement (on the network switch) so I don’t have to have it tucked behind the TV stand anymore. If it’s any good, how does it work with keyboard/mouse games?

I haven’t personally used it but here is a quote recently in this thread that touches on it.

NewFatMike posted:

Apple TV 4K is the only TV thing I’ve ever gotten Steam link to work on flawlessly and the remote now controls sound and power. I don’t think anything has really come close for me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

IUG posted:

Steam Link is good. You still need an Ethernet connection or a good wifi connection.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

IUG posted:

I’m connected over Ethernet and it whips rear end. My monitor is 3440 x 1440 but it scales everything just fine. Rumble works on my Xbox Series S controller, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last time I did couch co-op was five years ago so maybe it's fixed now but I had a hell of a time getting four Xbox controllers paired to the Apple TV so all of us could play. I eventually went the ugly route and hooked them all into a usb hub.

But after that it was flawless, even on WiFi.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I play Elden Ring and Spider-Man on Steam Link. It rules.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

I got mine at a good discount from CeX, the big chain of second hand electronics shops in my country. You'll find them aplenty in places like that, and you can get one at 'used' or 'b' quality or whatever your equivalent's grading system is without much worry because it's a small black box you hide behind your TV and wear and tear really doesn't make a difference.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IUG posted:

It's the best implementation of Steam Link possible, except connecting two PCs. Which means it's highly dependent on the connection and the hardware being used. Apple TV is really great about controller connectivity, way better than my PC.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
apple apparently opened their app store up to game streaming services because of what i can only assume is either due to eu regulators or a lack of stuff for people to do with their xr headsets

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1750580410529071288

we might finally be able to use something that's actually user friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are a vet or know someone who is this ends up being a decent deal with free shipping and no sales tax.

It’s incredibly easy to sign up if you were ever in as well.