Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Was real confused as to why there'd be a deal on a streaming box just for vets before I expanded the image
Especially combined with your profile pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish Apple would eventually solve the problem where movies that go to HBO get listed on every single service that resells HBO. It’s so half assed.

For instance, the TV app lists Dune as available on Prime Video and on Hulu despite it actually streaming on Max

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For people that use the FaceTime on AppleTV via iPhone do you notice the other side has a lot of audio issues?

It’s like a 1990s half-duplex speakerphone—other side will start talking and then audio cuts out while their lips are moving.

At first I thought that it was me leaning my iPhone against the center channel to set up the camera—that my microphone is picking that up and doing something weird. But I’ve moved it around and it always happens. Other parties are iPhone 14 Pro or recent-ish iPad.

I’m trying to figure out if I can diagnose or play around with it myself without subjecting entire families to it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Never noticed that, no. It should be using the mic on the phone. So unless you’re really far away maybe?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I might try it again with my (apple silicone bumper) case off. Tim needs to let me janitor my setup with an array mic.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hed posted:

For people that use the FaceTime on AppleTV via iPhone do you notice the other side has a lot of audio issues?

It’s like a 1990s half-duplex speakerphone—other side will start talking and then audio cuts out while their lips are moving.

At first I thought that it was me leaning my iPhone against the center channel to set up the camera—that my microphone is picking that up and doing something weird. But I’ve moved it around and it always happens. Other parties are iPhone 14 Pro or recent-ish iPad.

I’m trying to figure out if I can diagnose or play around with it myself without subjecting entire families to it.

Nope, no issues with my 13 pro

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Two issues cropping up on the Apple TV4K I have this week: one, it recognizes my iPhone’s Remote app but won’t let me move the cursor with the touchpad (only ‘click’/go back/back to main/press play, etc); and two, just now I got an HDCP handshake error from Disney+, which sucks because this was setting up for Bluey time.

Anybody else see these issues at all? It’s frustrating because otherwise the 4K box has given me ~3 years of excellent service without any hiccups.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Two issues cropping up on the Apple TV4K I have this week: one, it recognizes my iPhone’s Remote app but won’t let me move the cursor with the touchpad (only ‘click’/go back/back to main/press play, etc)

Yes I have this issue too. Nothing restores the touch part of the app except restarting my loving phone. Sucks extra because my ATV is used and didn’t include a remote.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think this happens when i wake my atv from sleep sometimes using my regular atv remote. it might be specific to apps, and i think it's mainly in crunchyroll it's happened for me

dropping out to the main menu and back in fixes it iirc

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

tuyop posted:

Yes I have this issue too. Nothing restores the touch part of the app except restarting my loving phone. Sucks extra because my ATV is used and didn’t include a remote.
You can have mine with a remote for the cost of shipping and like 5bux because traffic is terrible here, a fiver for a 45 minute round trip drive sounds reasonable.
It’s not 4K though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why in god's name does every single app developer have to implement their own special scrub bar behaviors. Why is there not a standard OS-wide widget for it.

If I want to skip back 15 seconds, I press the left ring button and the AppleTV standard scrub bar ... skips back 15 seconds.

Max brings up the scrub bar but does not skip back 15 seconds, it just keeps playing and you have to press it again to skip back.

Youtube doesn't do anything, you have to press the middle button to bring up the scrub bar, then you press back and it skips back 5 seconds and pauses, so then you have to press the middle button or Play to start playing again. And it's suuuuper finicky so if your thumb slips the focus jumps off the scrub bar to some other button or info panel or something and you hit the button and that comes up instead of the video playing.

Why is everyone still trying to reinvent the wheel every goddamn week

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eightysixed posted:

You can have mine with a remote for the cost of shipping and like 5bux because traffic is terrible here, a fiver for a 45 minute round trip drive sounds reasonable.
It’s not 4K though.

I do live in Canada but as long as this comes out as less than like 80 Canadian dollars then it’s a cheap remote! PMing

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Replied :cheers:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Why in god's name does every single app developer have to implement their own special scrub bar behaviors. Why is there not a standard OS-wide widget for it.

If I want to skip back 15 seconds, I press the left ring button and the AppleTV standard scrub bar ... skips back 15 seconds.

Max brings up the scrub bar but does not skip back 15 seconds, it just keeps playing and you have to press it again to skip back.

Youtube doesn't do anything, you have to press the middle button to bring up the scrub bar, then you press back and it skips back 5 seconds and pauses, so then you have to press the middle button or Play to start playing again. And it's suuuuper finicky so if your thumb slips the focus jumps off the scrub bar to some other button or info panel or something and you hit the button and that comes up instead of the video playing.

Why is everyone still trying to reinvent the wheel every goddamn week

Apple has a standards but apparently is not required. The answer is lazy devs.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kri kri posted:

Apple has a standards but apparently is not required. The answer is lazy devs.

It’s not laziness, and I doubt it’s the devs fault as it’s extra work. It’s companies wanting to be different and special and apply their product designer’s lovely UI design instead of using the built in standard controls.

They’re all much worse, but thankfully not as bad as the Apple TV customised video controls in a bunch of apps, mainly discovery plus (and formerly GCN). A multi hour sports event, starting with an hour of pre event build up, and ending hours later.

No way to scrub, just fast forward controls that take literally an hour realtime to get to the point an hour from the end where you want to start watching.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I suspect Apple wants you to serve all your video data in a specific way to get all the standard controls to work properly and big companies aren’t going to do that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The true answer probably is that they wrote their app in C++ so the same code base works on Android based systems and iOS based systems, and the scrub bar is the bare minimum OpenGL ES thing they could throw up on the screen.

Source: I'm 12 years into cross platform mobile game development needing to deal with such bullshit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I doubt they’re that complex, most of them are just react websites in a wrapper.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

smackfu posted:

I suspect Apple wants you to serve all your video data in a specific way to get all the standard controls to work properly and big companies aren’t going to do that.

Doesn’t check out, you get it for free with any video that plays in the Safari browser, so you can just make a web view and it’ll be fine.

YouTube app on iOS = poo poo scrubber.
YouTube mobile web via Brave browser (with ad blocking) on iOS = standard video controls as soon as you fullscreen.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of the YouTube app on the appletv, they’ve added ads that pop up when you pause a video and, in true lovely fashion, pressing Play/Pause again does NOT start the video playing again. You have to either press the circle/select button or scroll over to the “Dismiss” button to dismiss the ad and THEN you can press play to restart it.

The enshittification of everything continues…

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mahoning posted:

Speaking of the YouTube app on the appletv, they’ve added ads that pop up when you pause a video and, in true lovely fashion, pressing Play/Pause again does NOT start the video playing again. You have to either press the circle/select button or scroll over to the “Dismiss” button to dismiss the ad and THEN you can press play to restart it.

The enshittification of everything continues…

Yeah my kids were trying to watch some Clint’s Reptiles on the Appletv and the ads were so intrusive I said screw this and just screen shared my phone playing videos from the web browser with an adblocker.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

PIA app in beta, full release should be march 7 per blog

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/pia-tvos-app-release/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Pretty sure I know the answer but is there any decent flight radar app for the ATV? Kiddo loves poking at my phone and looking at planes on Flightradar24 as a reward. It would be nice to toss it up on the TV as a passive thing for a few minutes so she stops associating as much with our phones.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Pretty sure I know the answer but is there any decent flight radar app for the ATV? Kiddo loves poking at my phone and looking at planes on Flightradar24 as a reward. It would be nice to toss it up on the TV as a passive thing for a few minutes so she stops associating as much with our phones.

You just reminded me of this delightful post but unfortunately it appears iPhone only so you'd have to AirPlay Mirror it. The controls don't seem easy to port to ATV.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d actually considered just pulling up my ADSB server’s output on the TV but apparently Apple doesn’t allow browsers on the platform.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is the Apple TV remote using Bluetooth or IR?

It's doing this weird thing where I'll be scrolling something and all of a sudden it acts like I'm holding the button down and it will rapid scroll. It also seems to not work if I block the front of the remote with my hand, and I'll get random messages saying the remote is disconnected.

The blocking with the hand thing makes me think it's IR but everything I'm reading says it's Bluetooth. Not really sure how to fix this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's doing this weird thing where I'll be scrolling something and all of a sudden it acts like I'm holding the button down and it will rapid scroll. It also seems to not work if I block the front of the remote with my hand, and I'll get random messages saying the remote is disconnected.

The blocking with the hand thing makes me think it's IR but everything I'm reading says it's Bluetooth. Not really sure how to fix this.

Bluetooth, pretty sure'

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/reconnect-the-siri-remote-atvbc9953e63/tvos

ALso plug it in, and make sure its charged up

Test with your iphone using the remote "app" too, if you are still having issues. A reset/reconnect always works for me. Barring that, factory reset the entire apple tv but that would be the nuclear option.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I use Android so I don't have the app option. However I'll give resetting the remote a shot. I already tried it once before and it didn't seem to fix it. It's very intermittent.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah I would make sure it's 100% charged. unpair/repair.

It's also possible there's some interference causing it to happen.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rest assured, signal drop due to your hands being in the way is absolutely a feature of Bluetooth as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah you are probably holding the remote wrong

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

wooger posted:

They’re all much worse, but thankfully not as bad as the Apple TV customised video controls in a bunch of apps, mainly discovery plus (and formerly GCN). A multi hour sports event, starting with an hour of pre event build up, and ending hours later.

No way to scrub, just fast forward controls that take literally an hour realtime to get to the point an hour from the end where you want to start watching.
I might be misunderstanding but that's the perfect use case for Siri playback controls. "Hey Siri fast forward two and a half hours." Of course support for this varies by app (:argh:), but for anything with the native TVOS controls (which I believe Discovery+ uses) I think it's baked in.

Definitely my main use of Siri on the ATV, and it's been a dealbreaker for certain services. Neither Sling TV nor Direct TV Stream support it. But cheap-rear end Philo does (even with their custom mediocre playback controls) so I'm gravy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Minidust posted:

"Hey Siri fast forward two and a half hours." Of course support for this varies by app (:argh:), but for anything with the native TVOS controls (which I believe Discovery+ uses) I think it's baked in.

You’re 100% right, that does work perfectly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My main use of Siri is to do a voice search in YouTube, and then I move the cursor down to the results which promptly disappear.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

My main use of Siri is to do a voice search in YouTube, and then I move the cursor down to the results which promptly disappear.

That bug drives me nuts. I've found if I don't move too quickly to the results it seems to not happen as often, but maybe it's my imagination.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

That bug drives me nuts. I've found if I don't move too quickly to the results it seems to not happen as often, but maybe it's my imagination.

What I’ve found is you have to release the button before you’re done talking. I curse at it all the time though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

god this blows posted:

What I’ve found is you have to release the button before you’re done talking. I curse at it all the time though

hmm yeah maybe i'm subconsciously doing this when i force myself to slow down a bit

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

hmm yeah maybe i'm subconsciously doing this when i force myself to slow down a bit

It’s weird because it should be like most Apple products and “just work” but it’s annoying as heck.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It has both, the remote can learn IR codes and sent signals to things like soundbars and older TVs without CEC .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FCKGW posted:

It has both, the remote can learn IR codes and sent signals to things like soundbars and older TVs without CEC .

My remote crashed / went mad and was randomly firing infra red to mute and unmute my TV a while back.

I don’t use the TV built in sound, so it was just the mute symbol flashing on and off.

Took me quite a while to debug and work out that the Apple TV remote even had an IR blaster. Fixed by reseting the remote.