Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
But it's a fourth gen appletv :confused:

First gen fourth gen? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Yeah but it's a new ecosystem. Like going from the original iPhone to one with an App Store.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Most importantly, with a whole new OS, I think software updates will be more frequent. So there are probably a lot of cool features that are already on deck for the next updates.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Those complaints don't seem too bad.

I could see Siri api expansion via fw update. I can also see this not being a yearly product so let's say even 2 years, it seems worth it to me.

But even if it DOES get yearly hardware updates it'll be a cool year.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Siri working in "Computers" would probably change my life. Do we know anything about that yet?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah I'm just kiddin'. It is a pretty big change since the last gen.

Happened to be in a mall with an apple store this evening so I poked my head in just in case they got stock in way early, no dice. I wonder if they did get them in if they would put them out or just hold them in the back til Friday..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They would hold them back. Apple is not a "store employees improvise" sort of company.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can I return my ATV ordered from apple.com in an Apple Store? Or do I have to ship it back?

Yes.

Even if you don't have a receipt you can get an apple store gift card.

Source:
Used to work there.

Subjunctive posted:

They would hold them back. Apple is not a "store employees improvise" sort of company.

For sure, we had a good amount of flexibility with almost everything in our inventory, especially if we got a manager involved, but release dates were sacred.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 29, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

True indeed. I was hazy on the actual store release date, just had heard that online orders should arrive Friday etc.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

priznat posted:

True indeed. I was hazy on the actual store release date, just had heard that online orders should arrive Friday etc.

The stores will be "shuffled" a bit thursday night so as to present the new AppleTV as a featured product friday morning.

And a couple new news updates:

Apple posted:

... it will add Apple Music compatibility to the set-top box's voice activated Siri search feature in an update early next year.

Australian orders are shipping. -- Mine isn't for Michigan - and I tried the track by reference tricks too.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 29, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So reading the reviews, are you able to use the remote app on your iPhone as a control like on the one just mentioned you couldn't use your keyboard on your phone, which would be a weird feature to cut.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Duckman2008 posted:

So reading the reviews, are you able to use the remote app on your iPhone as a control like on the one just mentioned you couldn't use your keyboard on your phone, which would be a weird feature to cut.

No one has mentioned it - however since the remote uses Bluetooth, the iPhone you set it up with does and you can get keyboards, mice, and trackpads that do it.. I would assume it's still there. Only thing I've seen is you can't use Siri to dictate into search fields (like in Youtube once you hit Search you have to hunt and peck instead of voice-pushing it).

Oh and BBC says they will be launching iPlayer "in the coming months" as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really glad to hear you can return online order to the store. I'll likely pick one up tomorrow then, since mine still shows Preparing for Shipment.

I'm not mad or anything since they even said shipment would be end of the week, but if the option is there to just pick one up and return the other one when I get it then I don't really see a downside.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd also expect an update to the Remote app on Friday or Monday.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I know we're getting Plex, but I wonder if there will be third-party media players that can work with iTunes home sharing. That'll push this to a must-buy for me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just received my shipment notification from Apple. Saying I'll get it tomorrow. Standard Shipping. Glad I didn't pay the extra money to get it a few hours earlier.

edit: Just FYI it says no signature required for anyone who was worried about that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Just received my shipment notification from Apple. Saying I'll get it tomorrow. Standard Shipping. Glad I didn't pay the extra money to get it a few hours earlier.

edit: Just FYI it says no signature required for anyone who was worried about that.

I want my shipment notification. <sadface emoji here>

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also got my shipping notice, 11/2 delivery estimate, standard shipping. Must depend on how far you are from a port.

Edit: I'm in Chicago.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 29, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Also got my shipping notice, 11/2 delivery estimate, standard shipping. Must depend on how far you are from a port.

Oh that sucks. I was kinda thinking they got it to just about everyone (who ordered timely) on Oct 30.

Where do you live??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No shipping notification yet, Silicon Valley. Boo Apple, boo I say.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Shipping for tomorrow, Leeds UK.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So grabbing one of these at Best Buy tomorrow is definitely not happening, right?

+thanks to everyone who explained a little about Plex. Sounds neat. If home sharing ends up going stale on me I'll check it out.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

So grabbing one of these at Best Buy tomorrow is definitely not happening, right?

+thanks to everyone who explained a little about Plex. Sounds neat. If home sharing ends up going stale on me I'll check it out.

Best Buy would be next week. Apple Stores tomorrow --- which I might do if my shipping gets delayed.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Just got shipping notice for tomorrow. Now to fret about somebody stealing a blank brown box off my doorstep in the few hours between delivery and getting home from work.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Order from Best Buy says 11/4.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Did you guys in the US really have to pay extra $$ to get delivery by Friday?

My order confirmation said I'd get mine by Tuesday, but the Apple Store app just notified me that it's out for delivery already. Neat.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Creature posted:

Did you guys in the US really have to pay extra $$ to get delivery by Friday?

My order confirmation said I'd get mine by Tuesday, but the Apple Store app just notified me that it's out for delivery already. Neat.

They didn't HAVE to, but they also didn't know that.

I didn't pay more and I'm getting mine tomorrow. In Ohio. Coming from Harrisburg.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Mahoning posted:

They didn't HAVE to, but they also didn't know that.

I didn't pay more and I'm getting mine tomorrow. In Ohio. Coming from Harrisburg.

These all coming Fedex?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mine is UPS

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Mine is UPS

Mine is Fedex. And I just got the notification. Should be getting it tomorrow :woop:.

But it's not much of a victory for me, because I could have gotten the $1 dev version if I remembered to get my developer account email switched to one I actually read and could get emails from :(.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Damnit, mine is still preparing!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No one cares.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Does Twitch have a native app on this yet?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

You're right, so let's talk about something cool. TVML! It's like XAML for tvOS and it's pretty sweet. You can build your tvOS apps in Javascript, including logic and layout in XML. It's nice because it makes it super easy to just get content on the screen, without having to deal with UIKit and having to write ObjectiveC or Swift.

I'm thinking about writing a C# library for building out dynamic TVML files, and spitting them out via a WebAPI, so that way I could build tvos apps using mostly C# and javascript. And at some point I know Xamarin will support the new tvOS stuff (we already have Transistor running on it, I think that's going in the app store tomorrow), so maybe I could make a simple Awful forums reader client for it.

I got to play with the dev unit we have in the office running the release build, and it's pretty sweet. Nice UI, voice works great. Airplay is less bad over wifi too from what I could tell, and we have poo poo wifi in the office.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Well it arrived.

Setup was easy enough, except it refused to see my 6S and copy across details. That was weird.

It's nice and fluid, but the Siri commands need some work. 'Show me movies that scored above 90% on rotten tomatoes' gave me a completely random list of movies with some absolute shockers that scored below 50, for example.

The Apple remote can turn up the volume on my amp which is awesome, and when I sleep the Apple TV, it turns off my television. Awesome :)

Also, the future is weird:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is the ability to shut off your TV via HDMI new in ATV4, or has it been around all along?

My current ATV3 definitely does not shut off my TV when it sleeps, so I'm wondering if I should expect the new one to or not.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Is the ability to shut off your TV via HDMI new in ATV4, or has it been around all along?

My current ATV3 definitely does not shut off my TV when it sleeps, so I'm wondering if I should expect the new one to or not.

Definitely new on the ATV4. It is one of the features of HDMI 1.4 which I believe your tv (or home theater) must also have to utilize it.

This means I'm poo poo out of luck in that dept since my tv is from like 2011.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Yeast posted:

Well it arrived.

Does Siri search include iTunes Home Share results? I'm sure the answer is no, but I'd like to see it confirmed somewhere.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Siri search include iTunes Home Share results? I'm sure the answer is no, but I'd like to see it confirmed somewhere.

It doesn't, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Yeast posted:

It doesn't, no.

:argh: APPLE IS loving US AGAIN :argh: