Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
ATV initial impressions:

Heard SimpleX may be having issues. Haven't downloaded yet.

Remote is cool so far. Takes some getting used to.

My iPhone 6S+ set everything up via bluetooth.

I HOPE there is a night mode buried in there somewhere (or coming soon). My plasma TV BUZZES like a motherfucker with all that white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Kenderama posted:

Here is the BAD news - official from AppleCare on the phone.

"New AppleTV does not take it's input from the Remote App (iOS or WatchOS - I asked) and not sure if it is going to."

I complained loudly and asked they pass that upwards. But gently caress whoever's decision that was. Some of us have 14 character passwords. :/

What in the gently caress. This is beyond stupid.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Of course it' going to. Grunt level phone operators never know poo poo about future plans. They just fix what they can and keep you from expecting something they aren't sure will happen.

I wouldn't worry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If the phone doesn't work as a remote this might get returned and the Roku hooked back up. That's a total deal breaker.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

If the phone doesn't work as a remote this might get returned and the Roku hooked back up. That's a total deal breaker.

Day one... Month one... maybe even Several months... people who buy the ATV need to treat it like a new beginning. There's gonna be better/more features but right now it's going to be "Early Adopters Ahoy!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can someone check if WWE Network has an app yet?

I imagine Remote.ipa will get updated sooner or later.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Feenix posted:

Day one... Month one... maybe even Several months... people who buy the ATV need to treat it like a new beginning. There's gonna be better/more features but right now it's going to be "Early Adopters Ahoy!"

Yeah why in the gently caress would someone think that the remote app would work with the new apple tv.

:rolleyes:

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Of course it' going to. Grunt level phone operators never know poo poo about future plans. They just fix what they can and keep you from expecting something they aren't sure will happen.

I wouldn't worry.

It's just irritating at the moment. I mean my shiny Apple Watch is now useless as well! ;)

Regis Christ
Mar 27, 2010

"Get it? I'm old!"

Grimey Drawer
This is coming from a huge Apple fanboy - the new AppleTV is a mess at the moment. No support for the Remote app, apps with ridiculous bugs (WatchESPN auto-plays video on launch, then starts playing the clip multiple times on top of each other as you navigate through the menus), and Siri doesn't even feel halfway finished.

All in all, a typical first-gen Apple experience.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm I think perhaps I will wait and look at upgrading my NAS to one that supports Plex first!

drat you guys for getting me hooked on Plex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Ugh, all the AppleTV owners are gonna have Plex...and Plex questions...it's gonna be like when AOL gave their users newsgroup access all over again.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Endless Mike posted:

Can someone check if WWE Network has an app yet?

I imagine Remote.ipa will get updated sooner or later.

Literally the first thing I downloaded.

Device is understandably rough around the edges. No iCloud Photo Library option I can see, obviously no Podcasts app, audio options look buggy (I can see "Apple TV" and "[AirPlay icon] Apple TV". Hopefully 9.0.1 will fix these. :sigh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whitezombi posted:

Yeah why in the gently caress would someone think that the remote app would work with the new apple tv.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't saying that it should not be expected. Just that it may be a little bit of a rocky start/slow start to get everything back to normal. No excuses for Apple, just a warning to buyers on day1. :)

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah. I'm actually thinking of canceling my order now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm having an electrician do some work. My ATV is hooked up but the power is now off. Has anyone found a dark menu mode?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Not having true categories for apps really sucks. You're stuck with the recommended list, whatever sub categories in that Apple set up, and search. I had to start searching by letter to see what else was in the store... and sure, it's not much, but it would be nice to see everything that's available.

Also judging by what I could see, and how many Apple TVs they shipped to developers for $1, I hope more are sitting in the pipeline because it does not seem like the best return on investment for Apple :v:.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I really thought this was the Apple TV that Apple would not half rear end.

Went to cancel and the goddamn thing has shipped.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

TinTower posted:

Literally the first thing I downloaded.

Device is understandably rough around the edges. No iCloud Photo Library option I can see, obviously no Podcasts app, audio options look buggy (I can see "Apple TV" and "[AirPlay icon] Apple TV". Hopefully 9.0.1 will fix these. :sigh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post452110580

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

That's through home sharing. There is no podcast app directly on the device.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh my god are man babies really cancelling orders based on a few relatively minor complaints? Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I love that the WatchESPN app lets you continue to watch whatever you're watching while you look for something else. This is absolutely perfect for college football Saturdays.

Thought my ~5 year old tv wouldn't work with the volume control on the new remote, pleasantly surprised to see that it worked automatically without me setting anything up.

So far so good.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Plenty in stock at the BestBuy in my town, despite what their website says. In case you have some BestBuy bucks sitting around and you want to try this thing out. ApplePay worked fine there too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Oh my god are man babies really cancelling orders based on a few relatively minor complaints? Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I love that the WatchESPN app lets you continue to watch whatever you're watching while you look for something else. This is absolutely perfect for college football Saturdays.

Thought my ~5 year old tv wouldn't work with the volume control on the new remote, pleasantly surprised to see that it worked automatically without me setting anything up.

So far so good.

My audio is controlled out of a receiver and the volume buttons do nothing. :\

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

My order from Monday still hasn't shipped, what the hell was the point of taking preorders if they aren't shipping them until after they're in stores?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flipoff posted:

My order from Monday still hasn't shipped, what the hell was the point of taking preorders if they aren't shipping them until after they're in stores?

I mean, they ARE shipping them for delivery today. Seems like something happened with yours? I'm sorry to hear that for you, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, the new Netflix app sucks. Which isn't exactly Apple's fault since Netflix actually made this app. They basically removed the ability to select specific genres. Unless I'm missing something.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone have the Simplex App? I respect that it mirrors the AppleTv UI, but Plex's themes are dark. And like I said, my not-at-all-old Plasma TV buzzes the brighter/whiter the screen gets.

Does SimpleX have different themes or a dark background/UI?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flipoff posted:

Mine hasn't either, so I'm going to pick one up at Best Buy. Unfortunately, I'll have to go to the Apple Store, anyway, to return it. Blah.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Ok, the new Netflix app sucks. Which isn't exactly Apple's fault since Netflix actually made this app. They basically removed the ability to select specific genres. Unless I'm missing something.

If it's the same as the Roku app, you're not missing anything, it's just a bunch of recommendations and top lists.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Has anyone looked at or tried using the 3rd gen as a "travel" AppleTV? I currently bring a HDMI cable and the Lightning-HDMI adapter when I travel, but being able to Airplay and use the video apps is appealing. I just suspect I'll run into hotel Wifi issues.

Just a thought since I'm probably going to pick up a 4th gen Apple TV on my way home tonight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fordan posted:

Has anyone looked at or tried using the 3rd gen as a "travel" AppleTV? I currently bring a HDMI cable and the Lightning-HDMI adapter when I travel, but being able to Airplay and use the video apps is appealing. I just suspect I'll run into hotel Wifi issues.

Just a thought since I'm probably going to pick up a 4th gen Apple TV on my way home tonight.

This is intriguing. I wonder if that's not a really great idea. Vacation house or hotel or friend's house.

Does Airplay use Wifi or does it use an ad-hoc direct connection?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenderama posted:

Here is the BAD news - official from AppleCare on the phone.

"New AppleTV does not take it's input from the Remote App (iOS or WatchOS - I asked) and not sure if it is going to."

I complained loudly and asked they pass that upwards. But gently caress whoever's decision that was. Some of us have 14 character passwords. :/

Not saying it isn't a pain, but I assume (dangerously, maybe) that the new ATV supports bluetooth keyboards just like the last one?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

This is intriguing. I wonder if that's not a really great idea. Vacation house or hotel or friend's house.

Does Airplay use Wifi or does it use an ad-hoc direct connection?
If both devices are on the same network, it will run over that, but if not, it can set up an ad-hoc connection as of iOS 8.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So what apps does Siri actually work with? I can tell it to search YouTube for something, and it will open search in YouTube but won't actually search for what I said. If the remote app isn't going to work out of the box they should at least give you an alternative to it in Siri.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So what apps does Siri actually work with? I can tell it to search YouTube for something, and it will open search in YouTube but won't actually search for what I said. If the remote app isn't going to work out of the box they should at least give you an alternative to it in Siri.

I'd expect the big streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and iTunes) with more to come over the following weeks. I'm sure YouTube will get it in an update.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FFS, NHL app was there in the United States appstore but not the Canadian one. What a loving joke.

I mean I guess I blame this one on the NHL not Apple though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

FFS, NHL app was there in the United States appstore but not the Canadian one. What a loving joke.

I mean I guess I blame this one on the NHL not Apple though.

Now you know how I feel about the Canadian Tire app being unavailable to my poor US account. *sniff*

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah the WatchESPN app is kinda broken right now. I hope they fix it soon.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

My audio is controlled out of a receiver and the volume buttons do nothing. :\

You have to set that up in the menu, and if your receiver supports the HDMI standards, it'll do it's thing.

http://support.apple.com/appletv/home-theater
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/30/how-to-control-your-tv-volume-with-the-new-apple-tv-siri-remote

Pretty F'ing cool - when I put the ATV to sleep with the remote, it also powers down my TV and Receiver. With that and the ability to control the volume, I don't need my Harmony unless I want to start the Xbox :)

Feenix posted:

Anyone have the Simplex App? I respect that it mirrors the AppleTv UI, but Plex's themes are dark. And like I said, my not-at-all-old Plasma TV buzzes the brighter/whiter the screen gets.

Does SimpleX have different themes or a dark background/UI?

Simple X basically is a slightly darker version of what you already see on the AppleTV, but Plex-ified... I didn't see any theme support - you may have to wait for later versions or an official Plex App for that.

Main Window / Simple X below:

mediaphage posted:

Not saying it isn't a pain, but I assume (dangerously, maybe) that the new ATV supports bluetooth keyboards just like the last one?

Maybe. I don't have one to check with, unfortunately. But since it tried to mate with my bluetooth soundbar, I'd say likely. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: and I can't sign into the American NHL app with my rogers gamecenter account.

*plugs ATV3 back in*

Guess I'll give them a few days to fix their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

mediaphage posted:

It does not. I just spent 25 minutes trying to pair mine and it doesn't even show up as a bluetooth device on the Apple TV.