Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Proteus Jones posted:

No joke post: Is it worth it? What kind of games are on there.

For $5/month, it's decent imo. Oceanhorn 2 is probably the best game on the service. It's a Zelda-like RPG. What the Golf is fun. The Samurai Jack game is fun. I wanted to try The Pathless but my non-4k 4th gen Apple TV can't play it. You won't find desktop/console class games though—they all feel very much like they were made for the iPad at best. But, I mean, again for $5/month? That seems like pretty ok deal for quick pick-up casual gaming on the couch to me.

I'd hope dumping an M1 chip or whatever equivalent into the next Apple TV means higher-class games development for Apple Arcade though, but I'd guess they'd bump the monthly price up eventually if that would be the case. Also if Xbox Game Pass comes to Apple TV...oh boy.

[edit] For the record, I'm currently not subbed to Apple Arcade anymore since I played through most of the stuff I wanted to already. I'll pick up the sub eventually—most definitely if Apple Arcade becomes a primary focus on the next-gen Apple TV—but I also have a Playstion Now and Games Pass Ultimate sub, so I have plenty of other gaming avenues available right now.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's a .00001% chance of an M1 SOC in an Apple TV. That's overkill for Apple TV and would drive up the price. If you want something like that, buy a Mac mini and hook it up to your TV. This would also solve your Xbox Game Pass problem. I realllllly don't think Xbox Game Pass will come to Apple TV as an app for multiple reasons. Maybe one day Safari would come to ATV but I doubt it.

It's the same song and dance every couple years from them. They'll do something to indicate they're serious about gaming and nothing ever comes from it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 4, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

teagone posted:

For $5/month, it's decent imo. Oceanhorn 2 is probably the best game on the service. It's a Zelda-like RPG. What the Golf is fun. The Samurai Jack game is fun. I wanted to try The Pathless but my non-4k 4th gen Apple TV can't play it. You won't find desktop/console class games though—they all feel very much like they were made for the iPad at best. But, I mean, again for $5/month? That seems like pretty ok deal for quick pick-up casual gaming on the couch to me.

I'd hope dumping an M1 chip or whatever equivalent into the next Apple TV means higher-class games development for Apple Arcade though, but I'd guess they'd bump the monthly price up eventually if that would be the case. Also if Xbox Game Pass comes to Apple TV...oh boy.

[edit] For the record, I'm currently not subbed to Apple Arcade anymore since I played through most of the stuff I wanted to already. I'll pick up the sub eventually—most definitely if Apple Arcade becomes a primary focus on the next-gen Apple TV—but I also have a Playstion Now and Games Pass Ultimate sub, so I have plenty of other gaming avenues available right now.

I ended up upgrading to Apple One (or whatever the plan is called) because it was just a few dollars more than everything I was subscribing to already and I wanted to try Apple News and my wife wanted to try Apple Fitness anyway. So I have Apple Arcade but there is very little that interests me. It seems like a no brainer for them to dump a bunch of money and resources into this but it just seems like it hasn't taken off yet and their heart isn't really in it. If it's included free with your bundle, or if it's just $5 a month, then it seems like a good deal. But I was hoping for something that would grab me and there wasn't. But I'm a super casual gamer with very limited tastes related to what I grew up with (play experiences like Doom, Quake, MK, SF, Twisted Metal, Nintendo games, etc.) and I haven't gamed seriously in over a decade so I'm super behind the times. If you're an RPG fan or somebody who branches out more than me there might be something awesome on there.

I think the biggest thing they could do if they actually gave a poo poo would be to pack a controller in the box. People are expected to play a game like NBA 2k21 with the loving Siri remote? I'm one of the few who likes the Siri remote, but it's absolute dog poo poo for trying to play a game. Throw a loving controller in the box and you'll get a lot more people playing. I have Apple Arcade, grew up a gamer, and even for me buying a controller is too much friction for me to get invested in their game selection. If your competition is charging $49 for their streaming box and you're charging $200, you might as well throw a $7 controller into the box if it will help prop up your gaming service.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I actually have Apple Arcade but never use it. We were paying for Apple Music family subscription plus extra iCloud storage so it made sense to just pay the $20/mo for the Apple One subscription which includes Arcade.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
If you haven’t checked recently, they just dumped like 80 new and classic games to Arcade and there are some real great ones. Some, like the music quiz, are great because there’s an obvious boost in quality without all the IAP. Others, like the golf game by the Hot Shots Golf people, are just great. Surely there’s something worthwhile in that pack on Apple TV.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

I ended up upgrading to Apple One (or whatever the plan is called) because it was just a few dollars more than everything I was subscribing to already and I wanted to try Apple News and my wife wanted to try Apple Fitness anyway. So I have Apple Arcade but there is very little that interests me. It seems like a no brainer for them to dump a bunch of money and resources into this but it just seems like it hasn't taken off yet and their heart isn't really in it. If it's included free with your bundle, or if it's just $5 a month, then it seems like a good deal. But I was hoping for something that would grab me and there wasn't. But I'm a super casual gamer with very limited tastes related to what I grew up with (play experiences like Doom, Quake, MK, SF, Twisted Metal, Nintendo games, etc.) and I haven't gamed seriously in over a decade so I'm super behind the times. If you're an RPG fan or somebody who branches out more than me there might be something awesome on there.

I think the biggest thing they could do if they actually gave a poo poo would be to pack a controller in the box. People are expected to play a game like NBA 2k21 with the loving Siri remote? I'm one of the few who likes the Siri remote, but it's absolute dog poo poo for trying to play a game. Throw a loving controller in the box and you'll get a lot more people playing. I have Apple Arcade, grew up a gamer, and even for me buying a controller is too much friction for me to get invested in their game selection. If your competition is charging $49 for their streaming box and you're charging $200, you might as well throw a $7 controller into the box if it will help prop up your gaming service.

I assume people just sync whatever Bluetooth controllers they have from the last 3 generations of gaming consoles.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

to be fair the fact that you can even use xbox or ps controllers on an Apple TV is shattering my 2010 brain

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My nephews play the game where you're a Sasquatch hanging out in the woods or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

American McGay posted:

My nephews play the game where you're a Sasquatch hanging out in the woods or something.

Yeah Sneaky Sasquatch is great for kids. It's like a wholesome and adorable version of the original Grand Theft Auto games. It also runs fine on my ATV Gen4 non-4k.

I'd just like a faster CPU for stuff like Spire Blast and any other physics games, even if it was the CPU from the iphone 10 or whatever that'd be great.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Definitely try out Fantasian which just came out and is by a bunch of OG Final Fantasy people (Mistwalker + Nobue Uematsu). It's a really fun nostalgia trip with a lot of the typical tropes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22369056/apple-tv-2021-120hz-refresh-rate-support-4k-gaming-arcade

I assume 120hz would not make an impact on video streaming ? Otherwise you would think the article would mention it.

That said, I would for sure buy one and probably buy 2 within 2 mins of an announcement.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What are the odds that Apple wants to get serious about gaming by making a Google Stadia-type streaming service?

I have always ignored rumors of Apple getting into gaming but game streaming with a monthly service seems exactly the kind of service Apple would choose to go with if they were gonna actually enter the market.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mahoning posted:

What are the odds that Apple wants to get serious about gaming by making a Google Stadia-type streaming service?

0.0% chance

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Apple’s actual commitment to gaming is spending an uncomfortably long time demoing some free to play title during their keynotes and collecting 30 cents of every dollar.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22369056/apple-tv-2021-120hz-refresh-rate-support-4k-gaming-arcade

I assume 120hz would not make an impact on video streaming ? Otherwise you would think the article would mention it.

Would 120hz mean that the AppleTV could run in “match frame rate” mode but not have to actually change its output frame rate every time, instead just doing all the necessary processing before output and then outputting a 120hz signal?

Not sure if I’m explaining this properly but it makes sense in my head :3:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Duckman2008 posted:

That said, I would for sure buy one and probably buy 2 within 2 mins of an announcement.
It won't make an impact aside from menus and interfaces being snappier to look at (assuming they aren't just hardcoded). Just sounds like basic HDMI 2.1 support. This means your device will hopefully not black out every time it has to change its refresh rate to match the framerate of what's being viewed.

Livechats might be nicer to look at.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

It won't make an impact aside from menus and interfaces being snappier to look at (assuming they aren't just hardcoded). Just sounds like basic HDMI 2.1 support. This means your device will hopefully not black out every time it has to change its refresh rate to match the framerate of what's being viewed.

Livechats might be nicer to look at.

Yeah, realistically there isn’t that much I need updated, so you can def put me in the camp of probably waiting unnecessarily but gently caress it I waited this long camp.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There were a few high framerate movies that came out. I think the Hobbit was one of them. Do those play natively on the Apple TV?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't speak on any others, but I don't think 48 fps Hobbit has ever been released outside theaters. Maybe by piracy, but idk. My guess is the answer to whether a current AppleTV can play them natively is "no".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
120fps output would be neat because it would mean you could display 24, 30 or 60 fps content without having to change the output framerate, just by using integer repetition.

HDMI 2.1 with VRR would be preferable ultimately (although maybe not? I don't know if VRR can go down to 24), but this would work.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Fedule posted:

120fps output would be neat because it would mean you could display 24, 30 or 60 fps content without having to change the output framerate, just by using integer repetition.

HDMI 2.1 with VRR would be preferable ultimately (although maybe not? I don't know if VRR can go down to 24), but this would work.
It's not VRR specifically but QMS you want to look for: https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/quickmediaswitching.

Crap like this is why the HDMI 2.1 spec is such a mess: most of the interesting features are optional, so HDMI 2.1 only tell us something about throughput capability - and that wasn't even the case for the receivers with botched Panasonic chips. Just start naming it HDMI 2.1vqa or something for each feature at this point. Maybe we'll get stickers with "Full HDMI 2.1" to brings us, well, full circle.

VRR might be interesting for video with variable framerates (ie 60p/30p streams or videos with frame drops or terrible encoding settings).

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kliras posted:

It's not VRR specifically but QMS you want to look for: https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/quickmediaswitching.

Crap like this is why the HDMI 2.1 spec is such a mess: most of the interesting features are optional, so HDMI 2.1 only tell us something about throughput capability - and that wasn't even the case for the receivers with botched Panasonic chips. Just start naming it HDMI 2.1vqa or something for each feature at this point. Maybe we'll get stickers with "Full HDMI 2.1" to brings us, well, full circle.

VRR might be interesting for video with variable framerates (ie 60p/30p streams or videos with frame drops or terrible encoding settings).

The HDMI forum has specifically discouraged any idea of "full" 2.1, mostly because its members are all the electronics companies currently doing it wrong all over the market. That said if Apple has hardware that can do it all it wouldn't be bad to release it now since they only update the thing every several years. That said the probability of more than a handful of things working on an average system is super low.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

qirex posted:

The HDMI forum has specifically discouraged any idea of "full" 2.1, mostly because its members are all the electronics companies currently doing it wrong all over the market. That said if Apple has hardware that can do it all it wouldn't be bad to release it now since they only update the thing every several years. That said the probability of more than a handful of things working on an average system is super low.
Oh no, it was more tongue-in-cheek, because "Full HD" was the weird marketing speak for non-interlaced 1080p flatscreens back in the day where "HD Ready" was a euphemism for "barely HD" at the time TVs went from SD to HD.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kliras posted:

Oh no, it was more tongue-in-cheek, because "Full HD" was the weird marketing speak for non-interlaced 1080p flatscreens back in the day where "HD Ready" was a euphemism for "barely HD" at the time TVs went from SD to HD.

"Full HD" was to differentiate 1080p TVs from 720p "HD" TVs.

Even more fun there's qHD (540p) and QHD (1440p)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate the term HD so much.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I'm glad I haven't bought a laptop in a million years, because the WBBQHD viewport terms for all the options are so hilariously confusing. And some still use 16:10.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

16:10 owns

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

kliras posted:

Definitely try out Fantasian which just came out and is by a bunch of OG Final Fantasy people (Mistwalker + Nobue Uematsu). It's a really fun nostalgia trip with a lot of the typical tropes.

Has anyone tried this with the non-4k Apple TV? Might resub tonight for these new games but I have a feeling it will run like trash. Last time I had Apple Arcade most things ran fine. I remember the hot lava game chugging though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

kliras posted:

I went down a rabbit hole reading about this last night. It seems that QMS avoids the drop out/resync process by relying on VRR. Rather than just switching from 24hz to 60hz or whatever, it uses VRR to ramp up or down to the desired refresh rate, which doesn't require a dropout.

But, as you pointed out, a lot of these features are optional. Is it possible that Apple kind of does a faked-QMS by just outputting 120hz at all times and doing whatever frame doubling is required internally before outputting to the monitor?

Of course, the gotcha with that is that (according to what I've read) 4K 120hz requires HDMI 2.1 anyway. So to even take advantage of this hypothetical faked-QMS, you'd still need need HDMI 2.1 compatible equipment. Unless you only wanted to do 1080p. LIKE A PLEBE

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What's the cheapest 4K 120Hz VRR TV? Lol.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sony 65” X900H goes on sale for $1k

Although their promised 120hz VRR firmware update still hasn’t arrived :/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Sony 65” X900H goes on sale for $1k

Although their promised 120hz VRR firmware update still hasn’t arrived :/
My 810c never got its promised HDR firmware update, so I wouldn't believe Sony until it's actually available.

It's really crappy being stuck on non-HDR! It also doesn't have 120 Hz available to the inputs, apparently, so it might be time for a new TV.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Social Animal posted:

Has anyone tried this with the non-4k Apple TV? Might resub tonight for these new games but I have a feeling it will run like trash. Last time I had Apple Arcade most things ran fine. I remember the hot lava game chugging though.

I've been playing this and everything else that got put out with that massive Arcade game dump on my HD and it runs perfectly fine. The only thing I've tried that doesn't is the version of NBA 2k21 which looks and plays like absolute rear end.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

njsykora posted:

I've been playing this and everything else that got put out with that massive Arcade game dump on my HD and it runs perfectly fine. The only thing I've tried that doesn't is the version of NBA 2k21 which looks and plays like absolute rear end.

Thanks for letting me know. Still haven’t had time to check it out maybe this weekend.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

njsykora posted:

the only game i know that is only on the 4k hardware is that breathless game. Populous Run also runs like crap on the HD.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/12/22379470/apple-tv-homepod-speaker-camera-video-call-soundbar-rumor-bloomberg

“Apple is reportedly developing a new TV accessory that combines elements of its Apple TV with a HomePod speaker and camera for video call.”

Ironically, I could see some people needing this, but I def don’t really need a real speaker or anything, so if it’s anything more than “speaker so you can occasionally video chat,” I def wont need it.

I’m really curious as to what the price will be. The Apple TV is already the more expensive box, and we all know Apple tends to not go downward in price.

That does not mean I wouldn’t get it and then only use the base tv features though. I would likely just grumble a bit before getting it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly just a better/more robust implementation of Airplay for Homepods would make me very happy. It’s dumb that each app wants to have their own stupid loving interface for playing videos, so some of them have you swipe down to select an audio output and others have no option to do so at all.

Google has the worst loving apps on AppleTV, followed by Amazon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

$179 for an actually working piece of technology is not super expensive and I don't get why people think it is. The main reason anyone thinks so is their competitors are happy to sell them as loss leaders and recoup that money selling ads. The good Shield is $200 and I don't see people constantly crying about how "overpriced" it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I feel like integrating a screen and speaker into the Apple TV is a completely pointless exercise when that would ultimately boil down to just them selling a gimped iPad (at a time when the iPad Mini is meant to be getting a new version) so I don't see the point of it unless someone at Apple is really feeling aggro towards Facebook and wants to crush the Portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It sounds more like the rumors of a HomePod version of a Google Nest Hub than anything else.

Though with a big enough screen, it would blur the lines between smart speaker and smart tv.