Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

How does Applecare work on gadgets like ATV? Is it like my MBP where I can buy it after the fact? I just realized that it's a sort of "first gen" type device so I wouldn't mind picking up $23 worth of insurance on it down the road.

It's your :10bux: but I don't see the point of insurance on something like the ATV. It doesn't move, and it's pretty unlikely to fail after the first month (barring obsolescence past the point you'd have since replaced it anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I can't wait for Apple to launch their streaming cable replacement that will be amazingly integrated into the new ATV. Here's hoping I can use a VPN to get it in Canada.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenderama posted:

Here is the BAD news - official from AppleCare on the phone.

"New AppleTV does not take it's input from the Remote App (iOS or WatchOS - I asked) and not sure if it is going to."

I complained loudly and asked they pass that upwards. But gently caress whoever's decision that was. Some of us have 14 character passwords. :/

Not saying it isn't a pain, but I assume (dangerously, maybe) that the new ATV supports bluetooth keyboards just like the last one?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

FFS, NHL app was there in the United States appstore but not the Canadian one. What a loving joke.

I mean I guess I blame this one on the NHL not Apple though.

Now you know how I feel about the Canadian Tire app being unavailable to my poor US account. *sniff*

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Alexa supremacy :smuggo:

(i'm amazed anything showed up)

SENSUAL MASSAGE
Made Simple

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you don't want to run a computer in addition to an external drive or two, there are NAS units that run the Plex server natively.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

You need a powerful one though to transcode.

For sure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Honestly I prefer plex; yes it requires a secondary device but I've found box not playing various audio tracks on iOS, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah I'm sure it's charged by now, but you can just check the level in Settings -> Remote -> Bluetooth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I use Plex for a lot, but I use VLC for a lot of other things. AirPlay for videos in mobile Safari is sketchy (sometimes the iPhone goes screen off and the player stops, sometimes it feels like if the screen goes off there's excessive buffering, etc) and I just wish I could feed a URL to VLC.

Depends on what you want. I want remote access, I want multi platform. Everything people compare Plex to seems to require that everyone in the household use Apple products everywhere.

In fairness I think air video server has a Windows client too, I just think it sucks in comparison to plex (especially since if you put plex in the top row, the big artwork on top will change into recently added content, which is super awesome).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

You need like, a cable sub for these, right?

For the most part, yeah.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

I know this thread is mostly about the 4th Gen Apple TV but I've just been given a 3rd Gen and hope to get the most out of it, primarily I wanted it to mirror my iMac to use some streaming services that I can only access via web browser (Shudder/Full moon as wll as Amazon Prime etc).
It also sounds like it will make a good backup for playing Netflix/WWE Network in case my ps3 craps out (I recently brought it back from a YLOD death).

Am i right in saying that Plex works on the 3rd generation? I've never used Plex and have been using Kodi on a Raspberry Pi as my main media center for files kept on an external hard drive but if Plex is an option then I may go for that as transferring files to the Pi from the Mac Wirelessly is incredibly hit or miss.

I'm a plex fanboy and it's the big reason I bougth a 4th gen, but if you're used to using a mac to stream poo poo to your TV, check out Beamer. It worked great with the 3rd gen atv for me, and can transcode just about everything I ever watched.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Remote.app works for me.

I think he means for OS X.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Actually, with both of my devices connected through the same ethernet switch, I experience no latency hooked up this way. I watch netflix every night with the sound from my ATV4 running to a current gen Airport Express, and everything is in perfect sync. Dunno if doing it all wirelessly would gently caress it up tho.

Yeah, there's a delay of I think 2 seconds, or so, but it's artificial and Apple syncs the stream to account for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

I find Siri so frustrating on the Apple TV, which really surprises me. Like, here's a typical interaction:

Me: Play Key and Peele
Siri: I can't play your music.
Me: Show Key and Peele
Siri: Here's a list of popular movies. (I don't even understand where this one is going wrong.)
Me: (Ugh)

Maybe "Watch" would work?

I use "Search for..." with videos because I didn't know what the vocabulary was.