Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Has anyone tried installing Kodi on their Apple TV 4? The main issue seems to be having to constantly side load it each weak from the tutorials I've seen.

Wanted to give it a whirl since Plex isn't working too well with my setup and Kodi was more reliable before as well as for the plugins.

What about MrMC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Man, I really like the Apple tv 4k. I have numerous shield tvs, but the lack of automatic color space switching was bugging me so I picked one of these ups. Interface is pretty nice, and the iTunes 4k movies I watched looked really good. THumbs up. Welp cya.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Along the same lines I set up Infuse on my new ATV 4k and I am liking it a lot. Will be really sweet once Plex support rolls out. The client is probably the nicest I tried out of Emby/Plex/MrMC

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve only ever used the free version of infuse but am intrigued in the paid one when I upgrade to ATV 4K if it can handle some stuff Plex can’t natively. Have you found it can deal with everything you throw at it?

Ideally I’d like one device that can handle all the common audio/video formats without an issue, even if it means splitting between a few apps. Currently I use a 3rd party Plex client on my TV as it’s the only thing I’ve found that can handle 4K HDR remuxes, but I’m limited on the audio it can pass to the receiver and it can’t deal with psg subs without transcoding. Plex on ATV struggles with audio codecs natively and cant playback files with 2 reference frame encoding without glitching.

I’m probably asking the impossible!

It has handled everything for me without issue, including some 50+GB HEVC mkv files. I have not tried subs but according to the infuse website it should handle those without issue and doesn't burn them in like plex does. I bought the ATV since I was tired of dealing with the Nvidia shield colorspace issue and the ATV has been fantastic so far. The ATV does proper colorspace switching and also refresh rate matching.

You can pass through audio using infuse, but I guess it passes through a PCM stream. I don't really care as much about this, but some people on the internet seem pretty hell bent on seeing the "dolby digital" or whatever on their receiver. I don't even see the front of my receiver and it hasn't bothered me so far.

I find infuse pleasant to work with, unlike Plex where I feel the app is still kind of wonky. I got the trial / 99c monthly deal with now and will be trying it out. According to their roadmap, they are working on getting it working as a Plex client which will be pretty sweet.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 8, 2018

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

If I paid for Infuse on my phone, do I get the TV app? Anywhere I can read up on the Plex feature?

Like the other user said, yes. It is slightly confusing as there is an IAP for the regular Infuse client, and then there is a $15 pro version.

The Plex thing is on their roadmap here:

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/13575

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes. If you have the phone app you have the tv app and vice versa.

Infuse sees my Plex server fine, but it is local. I haven't tested access remotely.

The other issue I have with Infuse is that it seems to have problems grabbing the cover art on my Plex Server. Playback is a lot better, however. With the native Plex client, I still get some weird streaming issues, but that may be the computer I'm using as the server. I haven't seen the same issues with Infuse, though. It happens infrequently enough it's hard to hunt down.

How are you connecting infuse and plex? DLNA? As far as I can tell you can't connect the 2 yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Onkyo shows the name of the input in big letters, so I might rename the Apple TV to

DOBLY DIGITAL

and see if anyone notices.

For real. Stop sperging people!

The only "bad" thing about infuse is that you add your shares and then it scans for metadata. Mine took over 24 hours to fully scan so that sucked. Looking forward to getting true Plex integration and not having that issue anymore. Not that painful for me since the infuse client includes full trakt support so I dont give a poo poo really.

The plex trakt plugin has been abandoned by the dev, and it hasn't been working right whereas infuse has been syncing and scrobbling without issue.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My trakt logging looks correct on logging in, and I think I just use that plugin. Is it looking like at some point it’ll just break then?

Not really sure, I just know it hasn't been updated in about a year. Mine just randomly decides to not work, it might be due to an API change but I am not sure.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I feel like I must be blessed or something, after getting my ATV 4K and setting up cec it’s worked perfectly with my denon and Visio.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you already own a movie in HD and want it in 4K just gift it to yourself.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

How’s the 4K with Plex and 4K files these days? Last I saw compatibility was pretty spotty which has put me off upgrading.

Works great with infuse

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have some movies in my iTunes account that got there through Movies Anywhere. But I only have access to them in HD. How do I buy some of these movies properly so I can have them in 4K HDR in my iTunes account?

I already tried unlinking my Movies Anywhere account but the movies are still there.

Gift them to yourself

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The remote with a silicone case thing is fine. Has replaced my harmony for ever day use as Cec works fine for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Music works fine for me. It’s sometimes janky but it’s come a long way.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah can’t imagine someone would ever care about that list but here we are.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vizio broke CEC in their last update for my tv, it no longer powers down when i turn it off. Its been working for months and months without issue. Should have never updated. gently caress you vizio!!

EconOutlines posted:

CEC is a weird thing, especially with my ATV 4K. It's nice that the TV's volume control will work using the Apple remote, but my actual TV still has to be turned on manually.

I'm guessing this is normal for some things working and some things not?

Is the "control devices" or whatever setting turned on in your settings?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a mkv file in iCloud Drive. How do I play this on the Apple TV using just an iPad or iPhone?

I tried AirPlaying it but it just wouldn’t play on the TV (though it does on my phone, with the VLC app). I tried VLC on the Apple TV as well but there’s no way to browse iCloud Drive I guess. In VLC on the iPhone there’s an option to turn on a local server(?) which VLC on the TV can see but the stream dies every time the phone locks.

Infuse? Enable local files

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I mean it all depends on budget and what deals are out, but I got my mom the 4K even though she has a 1080p set

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Reinstall or reset the Apple TV?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

Does anyone else have an issue in the YouTube app when the timeline/scrubbing controls are on the screen and you swipe up to hide them, the video stutters for just a second? It's insanely irritating and makes me not want to ever bring up the timeline. The worst part is the stutter doesn't happen if you do the same action in the pre-roll ads.

Same for me yeah

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hopefully you can get just the remote, my 4k are trucking along fine just hate the current remote.

Well poo poo should have refreshed. Great news.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thwomp posted:

So the new remote is only slightly thicker (3mm diff), 12mm longer, and actually more skinny (35mm wide versus 38mm on the old remote).

It’s 18g heavier for anyone who can tell the difference.

Honestly, I hoping for something less prone to slip between the couch cushions. And also maybe a locator sound?

Really was waiting for find my support for the remote.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

American McGay posted:

When I think of the Mac mini I think of people who reluctantly have to do iOS dev work or people who want to build a hackintosh but are really lazy. The screen in the iMac has been so good for so long that it's hard for me to think of a scenario for the mini.

I have absolutely no need for the imac screen, so mac mini for me. Anyways good poo poo about the calibration coming to the older boxes. 4 remotes for me!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

You shouldn't really be using DolbyVision mode anyway. Set your AppleTV to 4kSDR and Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate both to "ON". It will leave DolbyVision off until you watch any content that supports it, and turn it on for that content.

Otherwise you're just having the AppleTV do it's own somewhat questionable conversion of all your content into DolbyVision, not to mention burning out your TV faster.

Keep in mind though some modern TVs I am pretty sure already do frame rate matching. On my CX65 I have it disabled on the Apple TV because the tv already does all the matching already.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

AppleTV is also in stock at Costco and Best Buy or wherever Apple stuff is sold
($10 cheaper at Costco)

Free shipping too, welp 4 remotes from apple and new ATV from cowtco. You got me again Tim Apple 🍎

Looked at my order again, even though it showed me $8 shipping when I ordered, it now shows free shipping.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 30, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

priznat posted:

Do people get applecare on the atv? Probably not much can go wrong there other than maybe crushing the remote.

Nope, I have 6 ATs spread across 3 homes and have no issues. I only do applecare for fruits that leave the house.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Glimm posted:

I am unreasonably excited for my new AppleTV remote to arrive

Same, didn’t quite realize how much I have hated the diving board

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, Costco does this weird thing when something sells out they take it off the website completely. It'll be back when they restock.

But not the PS5, that is always listed but out of stock whenever I check.

My 4 remotes are preparing to ship via the apple store.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

And until iOS 15 you can’t set the mini as default speakers

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is audio cutting out sporadically in YouTube for people? Running 4K with Homepods.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not typical for me. Maybe a WiFi issue?

I have used my OG HomePods with an Apple TV since iOS 14 or whenever you could set them as default

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Minidust posted:

I got a case that lets you stuff an AirTag in there and it’s been working out pretty well, but yeah having that built in woulda been nice! Sucks that it is explicitly tied to one person’s Apple ID but I guess that’s a limitation of the whole Find My system at this point. Feels quite futuristic asking a HomePod where your remote is, but only my wife can do it!

Yeah the elago one is working well for me. Apple should have included it in the upgrade, but I suppose that’s for the next gen remote in 5 years.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209670

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sounds like another reason to go YouTube premium

Use a Argentina vpn and it’s like $1.50 a month

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mahoning posted:

How would YouTube premium fix the frame rate change lag? No matter what when you start a video it does it, whether that video starts with an ad or not. Ads just make it worse.

No ads = less switching

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

YouTube

kri kri fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 3, 2022

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just re-upped for another year of YT premium for $16 or so. Well worth it imo to not have to deal with extensions and poo poo. Thanks India.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is this as easy as setting the VPN on my laptop to India, and then signing up for a new account with premium? I don’t need to fake an India address or anything? Will they notice/care that I pay with a US credit card or logon 100% of the time from a US location (since I won’t be on the VPN on my AppleTV)?

I can’t remember about the address since I’ve been doing this for over a year now. If they ask just use a business or whatever from Google maps.

For the card I use a privacy.com card and it works perfectly fine. I use all my devices with no vpn and I have no issues. I just connected to vpn, used an incognito window and signed up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

canyonero posted:

Do you use a separate YouTube/Google account or your normal one?

Normal account. If they pull it not out much. I assume they think some money is better than no money.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The little button always works for me, but I think I had to set the connection up in the Apple TV app first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just deal with it