Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Holy hell this sideclick thing looks perfect for what I want. I was looking for just a basic programmable IR remote for ages but this is even better. Very reasonably priced to boot, even with international shipping. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

I cannot get my Sony TV to see my Apple TV as CEC compatible. My Apple TV can only toggle power on the Sony TV. The remote uses IR to change volume. Is this something that can be fixed or am I looking at a generational mismatch or something?

Really depends on how old the tv is. I have a 7 year old Sony lcd and it will only power on, and 35% of the time will power off. Volume is IR only. HDMI Cec sounds like a huge clusterfuck even today and there is no guarantee anything will actually work.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Zero One posted:

Yeah I went ahead and downloaded it. The option is there to allow apps to switch (you can pick rate, HDR, or both) but the apps themselves need to be updated to use it.

Nothing else new I have seen.

Does this apply to the old v4 Apple TV as well, or the 4K one only?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Could you just get a little airport express and chuck it in your other room, and airplay to it when you want audio over there? Not much more expensive and less complex than that solution maybe?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

qirex posted:

11.2 is out and the ability to match frame rate and color range to the content is available.

Updating my regular non-4K atv now to check because no bastard on the internet wants to say if it works or not on the old one.

óó
Aannndddd it doesnít loving work. God drat it Apple.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Good god the YouTube app reactions are not overstated. What a piece of loving garbage. I donít get how people fawn over Googleís ďmaterial designĒ stuff when they go and pull this kind of stunt.

No more 10 second skip, canít scrub the same, the cursor positioning/navigation behavior is just different enough from every single other app on the device to be utterly infuriating and error-prone to navigate.

Being able to queue up things from any other YouTube watching device on the network is really nice but itís so not worth the trash-fire that is the UI.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

stevewm posted:

Apple doesn't have support for the video codec YouTube uses for 4k (VP9). This is why the Apple TV can't play 4k Youtube, and neither can Safari.

Apple is the lone holdout in this case. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from adding VP9 support into their products, other than stubbornness.

Not really. There is no hardware decoding support in any of their products so they may not be fast enough to do the decoding in software.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I found infuse buggy as hell connecting to AFP and SMB shares for some reason. SSH was the only reliable way I could browse files but even that had problems reconnecting some time.

So VLC is reliable enough playing from network shares?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

my jorts donít turn anyone on

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

zeroconf/mdns/bonjour coud be confused. Try renaming the Apple TV then rebooting everything, including your router + wireless APs. For some reason the Apple TV seems to be particularly buggy about this. E.g. on my network it constantly clashes with itself, so its now called Apple TV (241), after being fine for years.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Iím pretty sure you canít program an IR remote to do that function since left and right make it scrub

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The 4K atv has better hardware than the regular one so apps and menus etc are supposed to be snappier. Iíve only got the regular one though so donít know for sure.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

fivehead posted:

If you have not yet tried Steam Link, it received an update this week enabling HEVC decoding in the app. The streaming quality is almost flawless over ethernet. I set bandwidth to automatic and its between 40 mb/s and 50 mb/s with less than 30 ms of latency total. I tried some resident evil, hitman and hollow knight and it was excellent.

With the tvOS 13 update, I assume the app will be able to forward your input natively from your xbox controller.

Thanks for the heads up but the option is Greyed out in my ATV Hd (non 4K). Does it need hardware from the newer version ?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dexter6 posted:

How do I play audio to my HomePod from my AppleTV in the YouTube app? Since they have a non-standard UI, it feels like itís not possible.

Can you set the audio output at the system level maybe?

Also isnít there a shortcut to bring the audio output menu up? Pressing and holding the select button would do it on the previous generation.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

apple should have made it much harder to install the beta than it obviously is

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Iíll continue to recommend the Sideclick for times where you want to control a few functions on non-cec devices and still have ďoneĒ remote. https://www.sideclickremotes.com

I donít use mine any more after doing some custom automation with an arduino instead, but I leave it on since it makes the tiny remote slightly more ergonomic for adult human hands.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Apparently the individual apps have to specifically support the new multiple user feature, otherwise they will behave the same as before. Kinda sucks since I doubt google will ever add support to the YouTube app

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is there any easy way to use Siri to play Apple Music on the Apple TV? It seems like the voice search from the remote button only looks for video content.

I do this via Siri on my phone all the time. Like "Hey Siri, play Cool Hipster Band on the Apple TV". Never tried with the remote though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

the_lion posted:

So I've been trying to solve my playback issues with 23.976 or 24 fps media. I have a Mac and a PC hooked up to a tv but I get a lot of judder/stuttering if I play from either.

Apparently it's a common problem, and I've tried a heap of apps to remove it (vlc, potplayer with madVR/Lav filters, Kodi with custom settings) with not a lot of success. Either I get the 24p shutter or the apps apply gross motion smoothing/soap opera effect.

From research on whirlpool forum (I'm in Australia), they say that the Apple tv 4k will solve it and it's a set once and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Any advice?

Does your television display which frame rate has been negotiated? Mine does a very obvious display mode switch when it changes to match the content, and shows 1080@24 on the OSD.

Double check your ďmatch contentĒ setting is enabled, mine magically disabled itself one time.

Also check your tv settings for motion smoothing or other filters that could be messing things up.

The best way to check for sure is to get a test video (Iíll try and find the one I used) and use a still camera to take a 1 second long exposure of the screen with the video playing. That will help make sure itís not a problem with your source material.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Thereís a fan? Is it only in the 4K and not the regular HD one?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

fivehead posted:

Needs AV1, which AFAIK no apple chip natively supports in HW.

And for apple to start caching more assets. Loading the store, searching Apple Music etc takes ages.

Edit: and 24 FPS for third party apps

24p works fine in plex and many more 3rd party apps Iím sure

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Thatís cool. Any word on if there will be an update to the YouTube app to make it not suck?

Also Iíve noticed YouTube on the iPad destroys the battery compared to plex, so maybe that will improve too one day?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Iíve got an old atv hd and I keep getting whole 30 second segments where half the frames are missing then it eventually goes back to normal. This is in Plex. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

It sucks and I cannot wait to send it to the bottom of the ocean. I wonít need the sideclick anymore to make it usable either

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dugong posted:

Hey thread, just got a new (and my first) Apple TV. Itís pretty cool! Is there a way to change the sound control buttons from controlling my tvís built in speakers to my separate amp?

Yep! If you have a hdmi-cec receiver connected it should just work.

If not, you can program the Apple TV remote to send the same IR signals as your amp. Look in settings under remotes and devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Can the power button on the new remote send via IR or is it only via HDMI-CEC?

Pretty sure itís only cec. Thereís no option to program it at least, unlike the volume and mute buttons.