Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Siri working in "Computers" would probably change my life. Do we know anything about that yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I know we're getting Plex, but I wonder if there will be third-party media players that can work with iTunes home sharing. That'll push this to a must-buy for me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kenderama posted:

Here's some of the Computers/Home Sharing interface looks like.

Thanks for that! Sorry to be a bother but could you (or anyone) get a shot of what the shared music playback looks like? I've been checking review videos for this but every one just focuses on the remote and Siri and it's driving me nuts haha.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kenderama posted:

Here's a really shaky/crappy hand-held video of me playing a song off of home sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ND-2u3CTk
Really appreciate that - thanks!

Hm, I'm not really sold on that look. Why so much white? I don't need the TV lighting up half my room if I'm just listening to music. Album art against a black background was way batter imo. And scrolling through a horizontal row of album art... man I dunno. Vertical list, with album art on the side, seemed like a much better use of screen space. Although, to be fair, that looked like a playlist you were scrolling through. Is it different when browsing by artist/album/etc.?

As for the "now playing" screen - since the album art is in the middle, does it no longer "flip" every ten seconds or so to act as a semi-screen saver?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FishBulb posted:

Okay for like months now, my Apple TV (3) hasn't been able to see my content on my computer. iTunes says home sharing is on but the Apple TV and the remote app on my phone just can't see it. It's really annoying because 99% of what I use the thing for is streaming. I'm almost ready to just replace it with a chromecast (we have one on the upstairs tv and it works great w/ plex)

I've tried every solution I can google. I got it work a couple times briefly but it always goes back to not working. Anyone have any advice?
Sounds like you would've tried this already, but... have you rebooted the router? I've experienced behavior similar to what you've described, and a router reboot usually fixes it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Do we know yet (based on developer kits or whatever) if apps are allowed to access content from iTunes Home Sharing? It's the kind of thing I could see being locked out - but then again Apple seems to have no problem with alternative media players on the iPhone, so who knows. If I could use a bunch of pretty media players on my TV, with the iTunes library that I'm already running, I'd buy this thing for sure.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

Couldn't you just point your media player to your iTunes library location?
Is there precedent for any app working that way yet? Plex doesn't really count since it uses its own software on the media server. Since the iTunes Home Sharing infrastructure is already built into the ATV, I'm wondering if 3rd party players can piggyback off that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

I'm confused a bit by what you're asking.

I don't think Home Sharing is going to be opened up at all, especially since you need your Apple credentials to make it work.

But if you've already got iTunes managing your content, I would presume you've got either iTunes managing the library of files or the files already organized manually. Either way, the files are already organized for easy indexing by a 3rd party server software.

So wouldn't pointing Plex or Air Video to look for files in your iTunes Media directory already accomplish what you're attempting to do?
Just wondering if we'll have more options for music players using our shared iTunes library. Like how you can get different music apps for your iPhone if you don't care for Music.app, or different poscast apps if you don't like Podcasts.app.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
During music playback, is it just a static image of the album cover the whole time? That "flip" on the old ATV was great for Plasma TVs or any type of screen that might have an issue with image retention. Kind of like a screen saver without having to use the actual screen saver.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been trying in vain to find a video that demonstrates the "now playing" screen in home sharing for the new ATV. From what I can tell in screenshots, the album art and track info are in the center of the screen now. Does it do anything similar to the little y-axis flip that the old ATV did every few seconds? Or some pretty zoom/pan type of stuff with the album art like Google music on a chromecast? I'm hoping the art and track info don't just stay put in the center the entire time, since my plasma TV wouldn't like that.

I know there's a screen saver but I prefer the "soft" screen savers I described that allow the music info to stay on screen.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 26, 2016

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Creature posted:

Nah, it just stays there as a static image. After a while the screensaver starts.

Behh, lame. Are alternative music apps a thing on TVOS like they are on iOS yet?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can you view your own channel without searching for it? Really bugs me how you can't on the old ATV.

Also yeah, it's really weird how basically nothing but a desktop browser lets you click the things inside a YouTube video. I can't think of any reason why a touchscreen device wouldn't support it, at the very least, yet here we are.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Lincoln posted:

Any time I watch a movie through iTunes, interpolation/judder reduction kicks in and I get the soap opera effect. Judder reduction is disabled on the TV itself, and only kicks in when I'm viewing something in iTunes via Apple TV. Can't find the option to disable it anywhere in the Apple TV menus.
Do you get the same effect on other Apple TV video apps? Or might the judder option on your TV be input-specific? I had a friend with judder correction on his blu-ray player input, and no judder correction on the cable tv input (which is like, the exact opposite of how that should be set up, if it's set up at all, but that's a rant for a different thread haha).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone know if the ATV3 does Dolby Pro Logic II? About to rearrange some inputs on my receiver and I might just plug the ATV directly into the TV this time (which only outputs to my receiver in stereo). If my understanding is correct, a stereo signal is all you need to get the 5.1-ish sound that PLII offers, but not sure if the ATV (or any of its streaming content providers, e.g. Netflix, HBO Now, etc.) provides audio that could be processed that way.

Not a big loss if it doesn't - I'd be moving the ATV's input in favor of a media center PC, which is probably better for maximizing the potential of streamed surround audio anyway.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sock The Great posted:

Built into the control center.

Prob the thing I'm most excited about with iOS 11. That app gets a ton of use from me (either controlling ATV directly or Airplaying a shared iTunes library to 1 or more devices) and it'll be sweet to have that stuff on an OS level.

On the downside, my old 5c that I sometimes use as a dedicated remote can't get iOS11! But I suppose control center integration will give me less need for a dedicated extra thing anyway.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does the new Control Center remote in iOS11 only work with the Apple TV 4/K? I can’t get it to see my ATVs (3, the small black 1080p type) and I’m wondering if that’s why. Airplay and the old Remote app work fine so I know my Wi-Fi is good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

I can see both of my 4th-gen AppleTVs and my 3rd-gen AppleTV when I open the Control Center remote.
hmm, are you sure? Because a guy on reddit (yeah, yeah...) just directed me to this:

I'm thinking maybe the presence of a 4th gen allows the others to be recognized somehow, but perhaps you can't actually control the 3rd gens?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm about to upgrade my internet and cut some cords, so I may finally replace my 3rd gen Apple TV. Does the 4K offer improved app performance over 4th gen? Don't care much if UHD is the only draw, though future-proofing it wouldn't be too bad I guess.

VVVVV e: sweet, thanks!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 21, 2017

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, it's a two-generation newer processor, and the enhanced version of it at that, and actively cooled. It drat well better in theory. Though in practice, nothing I use is anything that really messes with the old one, and using both regularly, I don't really notice any difference. It'll be supported longer, though, which is probably important, since I'm not really sure what they can add in the future to make an upgrade worth it.

Oh yeah wow, A8 to A10. Found a decent comparison rundown here https://www.idropnews.com/news/apple-tv/apple-tv-4k-vs-apple-tv-comparison/49767/

So I'll def go for a 4K. Have app sizes been creeping up or should 32GB be good if I'm not playing games?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Generic Monk posted:

yeah it does, to the point where most little loading pauses are gone. you're not going to notice it as much as with like an ios device where you're bouncing between apps all the time, but it's a nice upgrade. might as well spend the extra if you're in the market

it's really aggressive with streaming stuff rather than downloading it outright, afaik most people struggle to fill up 32GB

Endless Mike posted:

Nah. Though it's only a $20 difference, so maybe worth it anyway.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Most apps are just glorified web pages anyway.
Cool. Thanks!

One more thing, I recall some fuss over a lack of TV mode switching with the 4K, where it enforces a consistent resolution & refresh rate across all content. I don't care about upscaled resolution too much, but I'd be really bothered if it was doing any type of frame interpolation (i.e. the "soap opera affect") on video content. I may just be incorrectly conflating the concepts of refresh rate and framerate here.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 15, 2017

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

killa-pope posted:

I don’t recall any soap opera affect. That being said, the newest tvOS beta adds options to output at the native frame rate, so you’re fine on that front regardless.
Total non-issue for me then. Great!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is the 4K power cord any different from the 3rd gen? I'm about to upgrade and wondering if I can just use the same wires and swap boxes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

They’re just standard non-polarized ‘figure of 8’ plugs. I have one and an hdmi cable next to a few TVs as it’s so simple to move the ATV around.
Ha, I was considering doing just that. Good to know!

Are there any system-level issues with sharing TV provider sign-in credentials between different Apple TVs? My, uh, friend might want to share some cable channel apps with his in-laws. I'm just assuming the general sign-in options are a convenience thing and have nothing to do with any limitations placed on the individual TV channel apps. This friend is also probably also gonna get additional Apple TVs for his house!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FCKGW posted:

Nope, we have multiple sign ins on our ATV. It'd kind of a widely accepted practice and outside of major streaming services like DirecTV Now which do GeoIP stuff, no one cares if you share a login to get to the Disney app or whatever.

Sweet!

So I've been playing around with the new ATV for a few hours (my first since gen 3) and I'm digging it way more than I expected. Really impressed with how the Siri Remote controlled my TV's volume, and even powered it on, without me having to configure anything. Now I'm messing with a PS Vue trial, and wow. If a person's on the fence about Internet-based TV service, I'd have to imagine a current-gen ATV could really sell them on it. Really great experience. Tried Vue on my Roku 1 too for kicks and wow, there's no comparison.

So now that I'm catching up to a lot of people and enjoying the benefits of HDMI-CEC for the first time - is there any way to actually turn my TV off with the Siri remote? I know I can long-press the home button to put the ATV itself to sleep, but my TV then switches inputs and remains powered on. Not a big issue but it would really complete the slick package if I could power my TV down without grabbing a separate remote.

Also I'm intrigued by the "TV" app. Basically it aggregates on-demand content to (most of?) the video apps you're signed into. Is there a way to actually "bookmark" movies/shows or is it meant to function as more of a "discovery" service?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 22, 2017

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anecdotal but the TV app has already clued me in to some movies that I had no idea I had access to. Like stuff from the FX or TBS apps or whatever. Seems like a decent companion to Netflix if you're in the mood to just browse and watch something on a whim.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ouhei posted:

Does anyone here have experience using the TV app with something like Hulu Live, Sling, DirectTV Now, Vue...etc?

Looking at adding live tv (currently have netflix, hulu, prime) and like the idea of starting to centralize all our crap into one app. Mainly I'm looking at Hulu Live since we already have Hulu, but I'm not the biggest fan of their interface.
The "TV" app is explicitly for on-demand stuff, so it doesn't really interact with live TV services in any meaningful way. I can personally vouch for Vue at least, and that pretty much functions as its own walled-off service.

What's cool about TV is that if you search for something it will ask you which app to watch it in, regardless of whether you've downloaded the app in question, so it's clued me in to a bunch of cable channel apps (TBS, FX, etc.) having on-demand movies that I wouldn't really have expected. So it's a decent supplement/alternative to Netflix in that regard, though you'll naturally be getting some search results that only have a paid option, if nothing else is hosting the content.

So I've just signed into a bunch of stuff and thrown it in a folder, and occasionally I'll check out the TV app to see what's there.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Might be better suited to the Plex thread, but does the ATV4/K client do that thing where it ignores your own metadata for album art and titles? I tried messing around with Plex a while ago (back when you had to kind of jury-rig an ATV3), and after sperging wildly over my music collection that kind of stuff would drive me nuts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there some trick to getting that 10-second skip click to work consistently? Didn't expect to have such a problem with it but it's making me feel like a fat fingered ol' goon here.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just click on the edges of the remote isn’t it? That’s what I was doing the other night and don’t recall any issues, but I don’t tend to move back and forth in YouTube videos too often.

Huh, it must be a PlayStation Vue issue then. Just Airplayed a video for the first time in a while and I was side-clicking like a pro. Hope they sort that out!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Should an HDMI audio extractor like this work with an ATV 4K? I got one for my dad and it worked fine with his Chromecast & Roku stick (HDMI switch > audio extractor > toslink > old receiver).

My own use case would be hooking the ATV up to an entry-level soundbar. Just wondering if there’s like advanced encryption features or something that could be an issue with the 4K.

Might sound like a dumb/paranoid question, but I just discovered that the spare TV I’m using for this setup can only use the digital out for coaxial sources (possibly due to 2007-era copyright concerns???), so I feel like I can’t rule anything out!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Proteus Jones posted:

I would assume so? There's nothing magic about the signal coming out the ATV.

Personally, I have the HDMI go from the ATV to my Dennon (actually all my A/V goes into the Dennon first) and then it has a Video Only HDMI out. Works like a dream.
Yeah that's my preferred way of doing it for sure. My "real" A/V setup in a different part of the house will be set up like that. The soundbar is just for like a living/sitting room area that we're keeping really sparse. Just a TV and Apple TV mounted on a wall with no footprint.

It's not a big deal either way as an RCA stereo -> 3.5mm cable from the TV seems to work well enough. But the soundbar apparently can be powered on/off over a toslink cable, so that'd be worth going to the trouble for (trying to get the full "wife-proof" setup here where the ATV remote can be used for everything) . Really I should test that out with some other toslink-ready device first, to make sure it works like I think it does...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Works with a 4th gen Apple TV, if that helps.
Good to hear, thanks! On the other hand...

hey girl you up posted:

HDCP can do weird poo poo
Exactly!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
VEVO used to have a cool feature where it played a personalized selection of music videos based on the artists you had “liked” from within the app. Kind of like some of the personalized stuff that Spotify and Apple Music do, but with music videos.

As far as I can tell that feature is now gone from the ATV app, and a look at VEVO’s website makes it sound like YouTube is absorbing most aspects of Vevo as a separate entity. Does any other app/service offer something similar to what Vevo used to do? YouTube’s own Music tab is a start, but it doesn’t seem to really offer the personalization stuff that I want.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Probably a fool's errand, but I'm a dinosaur with lots of local music and I'm trying to get iTunes Home Sharing working again. Gonna be lazy and crosspost from Reddit:

After a fresh Windows 10 install I'm trying to get iTunes Home Sharing working again. I can confirm the following:
  • iTunes (Windows 64-bit) and Apple TV (4K) both signed into same Apple ID
  • Home Sharing turned on in both iTunes & ATV
  • iTunes and ATV both updated to latest version
  • Bonjour service running and set to "automatic" on PC
  • Using iTunes itself or Remote App on iPhone, I can Airplay music from the PC to the Apple TV and it works
  • iTunes on a second PC can see and play the shared library
However when clicking the "Computers" tile on the Apple TV, I consistently get the "No iTunes libraries available" prompt. Airplay is a decent workaround, but I'd like to browse my library directly and get the most out of my Apple TV. And of course, the fact that it was working before is very frustrating!

Network troubleshooting usually leads me to port forwarding, so I assume that's the missing step here. I already have static IPs configured for my PC and Apple TV. And the Apple support page says that iTunes music sharing uses TCP port 3689.

Now I don't expect people to know the intricacies of my home network, but I'm looking for some general dumbed-down advice here. Should I be forwarding my PC's IP to port 3689? Or do I forward the Apple TV's IP? Or do I forward both? Sorry if it's a dumb question but my port forwarding skills are very rusty. Also wondering if there are any other ports not listed on Apple's support page that I should try messing with.

This was a long rambling posts so much thanks to anyone who took the time to read it!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

phosdex posted:

Did you install iTunes on that win10 box from the windows store or the full installer from apple.com? There is something diff about the store version, like wifi sync doesn't work for me on that. Didn't try home sharing with it.

This is all internal right? Then port forwarding doesn't come into this at all. Can your iphone see the shared library?
Thanks, I actually had installed the Windows Store version, but earlier on in my troubleshooting I switched over to the standard 64-bit installer. I think that's what got sharing between computers to work.

Yes this is all on the same home network if that's what you mean. The router has multiple SSIDs (just the default setup of a standard, "5G" and guest networks) but I've made sure all devices are on the same one. You know, now that I mention that I'll try switching from 5G to standard to see if that makes a difference.

Just checked and my iPhone isn't seeing the shared library. So yeah, my problem seems strictly limited to the Apple devices. :v:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sorry to double post but I'll go ahead since it may help someone down the road. I did two things to get Home Sharing working on my Apple TV - the first may not be related but the second definitely is:

1) I switched SSIDs and discovered that one of my networks had been set to "Public". So I switched it to Private (this was called "Allow network discovery" or something like that in older versions of Windows)

2) I turned off Home Sharing in iTunes, then reactivated and signed in. This brought up a prompt asking whether I wanted to authorize this PC (which hadn't happened before during my initial setup, for whatever reason). I chose to Authorize, and whammo, I've got home sharing back.

So it seems the key is explicitly authorizing the DEVICE for home sharing, which is a separate thing from other iCloud/Apple ID stuff. And if it doesn't ask, you have to make it ask!

Thanks for chiming in, people!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Proteus Jones posted:

My problem was, for whatever reason, I could never ever get anything better than 2CH Surround from the TV to the Denon. I have a feeling it’s because my Denon is almost 10 years old. So I gave up and went back to aTV->Denon->Sony with a Harmony Hub.
Could be a limitation of the TV; my 10-year-old Samsung plasma has a toslink audio out but can only pass a stereo signal through it.

HDMI-CEC works fine in my scaled-down TV/soundbar setup. Except when it doesn’t! :iiam:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm interested in Plex but only really as a music player. For the Apple TV app would it be worth the hassle? I've been searching around but almost every article or video out there focuses on the movies/TV aspect.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sellouts posted:

Not sure why you wouldn’t just airplay to the Apple TV tbh
I was mainly interested in an alternative to the rather bland “Now Playing” screen, but now that I see Plex looks basically the same I’m over it. Yeah I’ll be sticking with Computers mostly, and some Airplaying.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I love my stone age infrared-only Harmony One but my wife couldn't stand it. Now it's relegated to hurf durf mancave use, and the living room A/V setup is just an Apple TV & soundbar with HDMI-CEC taking care of everything. She's much happier.:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Learned about the SideClick through this thread a while back. Can anyone confirm whether or not it allows you to map the... uh, "side-click" commands from the ATV siri remote? You know, the command that lets you go forward or back by 10 seconds in a video.

I've read that it has to learn ATV commands through IR, requiring some other programmable remote (I've got a Harmony One I could use). However last I checked you couldn't actually assign the side-click function in harmony software, so I may be out of luck here.