Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I was just in the Apple Store today picking up an iPad and completely forgot to check out the new ATV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can I return my ATV ordered from apple.com in an Apple Store? Or do I have to ship it back?

Yes.

Even if you don't have a receipt you can get an apple store gift card.

Source:
Used to work there.

Subjunctive posted:

They would hold them back. Apple is not a "store employees improvise" sort of company.

For sure, we had a good amount of flexibility with almost everything in our inventory, especially if we got a manager involved, but release dates were sacred.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 29, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mr. BT posted:

Now that Plex is available, I'm interested in hooking up a large drive to a Mac Mini and then plugging it in via Ethernet cable to my network.

Of the current models available, what's the one that I need? Hopefully not the one that's $1000 -- just something that will play 1080p streams to the AppleTV with no hiccups.

Get one of the previous generations when they still had user upgradable ram. That's what I have and it churns through 1080p no problem.

New ones are just hilariously neutered and useless.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hughlander posted:

Specifically opening Facebook kills the AirPlay since fb wants to be able to AirPlay its autoplaying videos.

The Facebook app is such a pile of hot garbage.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I vaguely remember you could pair a Bluetooth keyboard with the ATV3, is that not possible with the ATV4?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tofes posted:

The fact they still haven't fixed this yet is mind boggling

This is seriously one of the biggest reasons I haven't gotten an ATV4 yet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Martytoof posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Siri Remote: You're Holding It Wrong (The AppleTV Thread)

It's......it's beautiful. :stare:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally had the chance to check out the new ATV in person. Looks pretty nice, going to wait it out a little bit though seeing all the teething issues it has.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bass Bottles posted:

I can't imagine who would pay money to stream CBS. Their target audience is too old to know what streaming is.

And other than Colbert, who gives a single poo poo about any of their lineup?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

GutBomb posted:

Well there's football and basketball on CBS.

Does the streaming service get those?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Laserface posted:

I have the tiny Steel Series controller. is it compatible with my Apple TV?

As long as it's an MFI controller yes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Almost a year later and the new ATV is still kind of a hot mess. I'm glad I decided to wait it out. I hope the devs can sort it out instead of the half baked mess it all seems to be still.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

god this blows posted:

Didn't it come out in October? What aspect of it is a hot mess to you. I'm curious to see what if anything they announce at WWDC this year.

I dunno it just kind of feels like a hobby product still.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EL BROMANCE posted:

The amount of apps I have from major companies that aren't even optimised for the screen of the iPhone 6 is ridiculous. They're so loving lazy.

Nothing makes me nerdrage like seeing the status bar get huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kaizoku posted:

The funniest one is the dominos app; as they're bragging about their watch app, the phone app it is linked to is still like this.

Note: funny and not rage inducing because it's a loving dominos app and literally no one needs it.

The less social interaction I can have while sustaining my pizza and mountain dew habit the better. :colbert: