Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Man that new Netflix UI is bad, I hope whoever decided "let's make the hero image permanently take up 2/3 of the screen and remove related titles and actor/director info" is in trouble right now.

Good news: the CEC works perfectly, input switching, power on, power off and volume control.
Bad news: I'm probably stuck streaming Amazon from my ipad or on my PS4, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CEC is incredibly annoying until the moment it actually works [many people never experience this] and after that everything is magical.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

From what I can tell android tv is kind of lame but compared to what a tv maker will write when left to their own devices it's a masterpiece.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 1, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I absolutely can not get iTunes home sharing working on my new ATV and I've tried everything short of de-authorizing all my computers, does anyone have any hints or sources to look at? Apples's support forums are an empty echo chamber. It worked without issue on my ATV3.

I need my music!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feenix posted:

You need like, a cable sub for these, right?

They don't have a deal with Comcast for some reason.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Home streaming magically started working which is good but I have no idea what specific thing actually did it so I guess if you have the same problem just do a bunch of signing in and out of iCloud and rebooting things.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Laserface posted:

I trained my appleTV remote to control my speakers (powered monitors) and it works fine, but would be nice if it didnt boot the appleTV up every time I use it to adjust the volume.

My other CEC devices don't switch inputs on remote volume change so maybe it's a bug or option they could add later?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder what's taking Amazon so long, I mean they already have an iOS Prime Streaming app in place.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

housefly posted:

They're not doing anything with the Apple TV because of Apple wanting a cut of prime subscriptions through the interface as well as the competition from fire tv. Also you cannot buy an Apple TV on Amazon.

They have an existing iphone/ipad app with the same limitations on purchasing new content and no sign of getting rid of it plus they've publicly said they're going to release an Apple TV version.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priznat posted:

A Sonos app would be nice too.
I'd love a Sonos app but it would probably just be for control and not play music itself which would not be super useful.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've noticed the HDMI-CEC gets wonky occasionally, a reboot fixes it but still a little annoying.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The larger the company is the longer it's going to take them to implement anything. The big cable companies love this app model since it requires a subscription and I assume they're all going to support it. Eventually.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This whole thing smacks of somebody's bonus being dependent on shipping this year, either that or all the partner companies were dragging their butts so Apple released it to try to pressure them into integrating.

One thing I don't get is why I get signed out so often, I think some apps have like a 2 week timeout because if I haven't used one in a while I usually have to activate again.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Can you make the video the screen saver? (Don't even know if this is possible)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They have a bunch of movies in stereo as well, it's baffling.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

And despite all the changes to the Hulu app, they STILL don't support 5.1. :bang:

I could swear some shows are in 5.1, just not everything. As a professional user experience designer my official opinion of their new UI is that it is butt.

Also lots of rumors today about Apple and Amazon sorting out their business and Prime Video finally coming to the AppleTV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ufarn posted:

It's ridiculous they didn't ship the latest with 4K, though.

I'd guess they were concerned with keeping the price point as low as possible given that some of the competition is well under $100.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

Netflix and Amazon are the big ones. Hulu does also right?

That would be funny if they streamed 4k video with stereo sound [which they will totally do if they start supporting 4k]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, it's possible that once they figured out whatever deal they've got with Amazon they offered it to other platforms as well. 100% business decision though since other than the Apple TV Amazon seems to put their app on every other piece of consumer electronics more powerful than a remote control.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's literally no such thing as a 60" oled panel being manufactured at the moment, there's 55 and 65. I could see this being a one-off display for use in the stores or something but I seriously doubt a mass-market product that costs that much and is that hard to ship from Apple. They make more money off a single iPhone than most TV companies make off a set.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 16, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Soooo.....no Amazon Video app today?

"Later this year," I'm really curious what the holdup is because small team could probably port their existing iPad app in like a week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did apple say when the free 4k movie upgrades would be available? I have a 4k tv and nothing to watch on it in 4k. Before I drop money on a new ATV it would be nice if one of the handful of movies I won is available in 4k.

If they were available what would you play them back on? You'd need a 4k Apple TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This is not great advice, to be honest [and it was written before there was much 4k hardware out in the wild]. You should absolutely try the cables you have but for 4k/HDR you pretty much need an 18gbps cable. The way they're marketed and sold is ridiculous and I guarantee you there were a bunch marked "high speed" in like 2009 that aren't capable of modern resolutions. People are legit having problems with the wrong cables with 4K/HDR.

e: there's a guy in my building who orders everything on amazon and he went on vacation for like 2 weeks once and there was a giant pile of packages sitting in our lobby and I almost stole some of them just on principle, like don't make your neighbors babysit your crap

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 25, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IMO Atmos is mostly useless unless you have a literal dedicated theater room, in a normal living space with furniture and windows and stuff you'll never get the kind of positional accuracy it was designed for. Invest in better main speakers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm hoping after all the bad feedback they'll enable mode switching as a user option.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My understanding was that they didn't like the flicker that happens to most TVs when the resolution/mode changes so they figured they'd make it "seamless"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ufarn posted:

This variable framerate on Apple TV sure sounds a lot like variable refresh rate/Adaptive Sync. I don’t recall this getting a mention in the initial presentation, but it seems to be what’s included in the new developer build, no?

That’s a pretty big deal if true; basically running your movies and TV shows in 24/25 Hz and saving a bunch of power doing so. But this would only work on G-Sync/FreeSync monitors rather than TVs for the time being, right?
Pretty much any TV will accept 24fps input [displaying it correctly is a whole other matter], there will probably be some blinking on switch which is what Apple was trying to avoid in the first place with their "make everything 60fps" approach but it's good to see them responding fairly quickly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's fun that format wars somehow managed to transcend physical media.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to occasionally reboot it or go into settings and turn CEC back on again, it's baffling but that always seems to fix it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if they're still just haggling over money or something, it's obviously not a technical problem.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd joke that they were unable to make the tvOS interface as bad as their brand standard but looking at Hulu that's obviously not true.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Hoo boy if you think Hulu's interface is bad, check out the new one from FXNow.
I actually did a double take when I saw it, a big list of things you can watch? Too simple! we need massive animated hero screens for things, who cares if you can move between them.

I find it super annoying that in order to have a "unified experience" a lot of apps are making the touchpad not actually scroll and just act like you're pressing left/right buttons a lot.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

That's a specious argument on Amazon's part. The same condition exists on iOS as well.

Yeah and the iOS Prime Video app doesn't allow in app purchases [and the Kindle app too]. For some reason Amazon refuses for that the be the case on Apple TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

11.2 is out and the ability to match frame rate and color range to the content is available.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

Video playback controls seem pretty bog-standard AppleTV, thought.
that's good to hear since the transport controls on other devices are utter balls

Powers of two FF/REW speeds? Sure!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The UI in the Amazon app seems pretty janky: mislabeled thumbnails, when you go back from a show page it's a total crapshoot where you end up but it's never where you left off, etc. Maybe it's time to start using the TV app.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is anyone else getting bad lip sync in the Amazon app? I tried Amazon on my TV and other apps on my Apple TV and it wasn't anywhere near as bad. Starting and stopping the stream sometimes helps.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is HBO Now known to be buggy? I've had it hang during a stream like it's buffering but it never starts again. A force quit fixes it but it can still be super frustrating, especially given the pricing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

Early on I had trouble with it on the older Apple TV (pre-tvOS). With the 4K Apple TV, no problems at all.

How’s your internet connection? Distance from WiFi router?

My connection is great, I never have buffering in any other apps even for 4k content and my Apple TV is connected via ethernet. It's very specifically a HBO problem. Maybe they didn't pay enough in bribespeering fees to Comcast or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Things I like about it despite owning a bunch of devices that can do streaming:
  • responsive UI, wakes from sleep almost instantly, turns itself off, etc.
  • good app selection
  • HDMI-CEC works [e: in my setup, everyone else's mileage may vary]
  • Only Amazon app with non-terrible FF/REW
  • single click 10 second rewind is super useful
  • can play everything full quality from my itunes library
It's not perfect; the remote is too small, a lot of apps don't know how to handle the swiping motion and just map it to button presses, the screen saver has way too much Dubai but compared to my TV's apps, my blu ray player or my PS4 it's the best streaming device I've used. I don't use plex/infuse stuff so you might want to go into the individual threads for those. Also the 32 gig is fine.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 6, 2018