Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If Siri won't search through my iTunes library but WILL search through a Plex library I'm gonna be soooooo mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can I return my ATV ordered from apple.com in an Apple Store? Or do I have to ship it back?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Yeast posted:

Well it arrived.

Does Siri search include iTunes Home Share results? I'm sure the answer is no, but I'd like to see it confirmed somewhere.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Yeast posted:

It doesn't, no.

:argh: APPLE IS loving US AGAIN :argh:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the VLC app live yet? Does it have the option to load a network stream?

Although, :lol: I just realized that with the iOS remote app broken for the time being, the option to load a stream in VLC would mean typing out the whole address, so pretty much useless then.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

sellouts posted:

So how's the search work? Is it going through Netflix and whatever streaming services to find "Shawshank Redemption" or whatever?

Yes, but so far I can't tell it to ignore certain services. I usually don't care what's available on the iTunes store, so I'd like the ability to only search my subscription services. Maybe later.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat the new Netflix app is laughably bad

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My wishlist for the new ATV, in no particular order:

• Slingbox App
  • Official Plex App
  • Pandora App
  • Spotify App
  • Twitch App
  • VLC App
  • HockeyStreams App
  • Remote iOS app integration
  • HomeKit integration
  • Non-sucky Netflix App
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially)

Each of these have varying levels of inevitability, ranging from "definitely happening at some point" to "not gonna happen, but I want it anyway."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

[*] Ability to exclude media sources from Siri search (I don't care if iTunes store has it for purchase, I'm likely not going to buy it)

I was gonna include this on my wishlist too, but opted not to because it's just not gonna happen. Apple is probably banking on iTunes results in Siri searches increasing their sales numbers, and it's probably gonna work, too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Seems like new ATV still isn't putting out Dolby Digital Plus. Which is especially annoying, because I doubt in a blind test I could tell the difference between regular Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus, yet still not having it when I know I could have it on another box (TiVo Roamio OTA) is annoying.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

Now that Plex is available, I'm interested in hooking up a large drive to a Mac Mini and then plugging it in via Ethernet cable to my network.

Of the current models available, what's the one that I need? Hopefully not the one that's $1000 -- just something that will play 1080p streams to the AppleTV with no hiccups.

This has been my basic setup for years, except instead of Plex I just used iTunes & Home Sharing to get the media to ATV.

Now that Plex is native, I was thinking about switching over, but my Mac Mini is so old that Plex Server won't run on it.

I'm not sure what my other options are, besides dropping $400+ on a newer used Mac Mini. I know I could build a PC based box for cheaper, but my whole media drive and all backups are HFS, so that seems like it'd be a huge pain.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Good god look at all these bad decisions

They seemed like good ideas when I started this whole thing in 2006

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought there were supposed to be several different "live aerial" screensavers or whatever they're called. I just get London every time :confused:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
When a Netflix show finishes, is there any way to actually watch the credits in full as opposed to waiting for the "Next episode" countdown? I know there's a Netflix setting to disable the "next episode" thing, but on ATV 3 it did the countdown but gave you the option to go back to the episode.

If not, I hope that's something they fix in the future, along with restoring the "Similar shows" listing and letting me browse my queue with the full screen rather than just one row.

EDIT: Also, is there no longer any "next chapter" button on the remote? Clicking the right side of the pad just jumps forward 10 seconds, and holding it just fast forwards.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 8, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

So maybe this is really obvious, but how do you skip ahead in a YouTube playlist? holding right on the remote just presents the FF10 icon, can't find any other way to do it.

I've been wondering this too, I think i even already asked in this thread. Except I'm looking to skip episodes in a Plex playlist, but should be same diff

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought I read about it in this thread, but I can't find the post right now - the Pluto.tv app is awesome. There's an all-MST3K channel that has basically become my de-facto "put something on the TV when I'm not really paying attention" thing.

My only complaint about it is there seems to be a lot more channels on the web app or on the iOS app. Anyone know if this is some bullshit rights-limitation thing where they don't have the rights to put certain channels on a TV app but they do on the web? Or is it just their app being something of a beta release and a future update could add those channels?

I do know the app is kinda wonky right now - I'm perfectly fine to let it play an ad every now and then, but whenever it plays ads it either freezes up or just gets in an endless loop of ads until I change the channel and then go back to the channel I was watching.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

I love the new remote, but at the same time, it is the worst remote ever.

You're watching something. Remote is on the coffee table. Sound is loud, baby is in danger of waking up, you grab for the remoOOOH poo poo YOU JUST FAST FORWARDED LIKE 30 MINUTES!

Yeah, this is quite annoying, but it's balanced out by the awesomeness of Siri + "go back/forward XX minutes/seconds"

Also, FWIW, I got the new ATV on day 1 and have used it pretty frequently since then, and have not had to charge my remote yet. Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it a thing that you even have to charge? I figured it was the same style battery the previous models had where you just get a new one when it finally dies.

Yes, it charges via Lightning, that's why a lightning cable is included in the box.

Supposedly it charges to full in like 2 hours and then lasts for like 3 months or something equally ridiculous.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

My wishlist for the new ATV, in no particular order:

• Slingbox App
  • Official Plex App
  • Pandora App
  • Spotify App
  • Twitch App
  • VLC App
  • HockeyStreams App
  • Remote iOS app integration
  • HomeKit integration
  • Non-sucky Netflix App
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially)

Each of these have varying levels of inevitability, ranging from "definitely happening at some point" to "not gonna happen, but I want it anyway."

Quoting myself a little over a month later to see how we're doing:

• Slingbox App NOPE
  • Official Plex App YAY!
  • Pandora App NOPE
  • Spotify App NOPE
  • Twitch App NOPE
  • VLC App NOPE (but I don't really care about it anymore anyway)
  • HockeyStreams App NOPE (also don't really care about it anymore)
  • Remote iOS app integration NOPE
  • HomeKit integration NOPE
  • Non-sucky Netflix App NOPE
  • Siri Search to include Plex/Home Sharing/etc (Siri API essentially) NOPE

Overall not too much progress made yet. I wonder what's taking a lot of these app developers so long to get tvOS apps out? I thought for sure we'd have Pandora and Spotify by now. Then again, I thought for sure we'd have an updated Remote app by now, so :iiam:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Cawd Rud posted:

Nope, The YouTube app seems pretty rushed overall. I still haven't found a way to refresh the Subscriptions feed without force-closing the app.

It's not just the YouTube app. It seems in general the remote lacks a "skip to next" button when watching videos. It's the same thing when watching a Plex playlist - the only way to get to the next episode is to scrub to the end of the currently playing episode and let it finish. It's very annoying. :mad:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Should we assume there's still no Spotify app on ATV because Apple is blocking them? I can't think of any other reason why there still wouldn't be one.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Siri is one of those things that is really nice when a use case comes up for it. However, that's pretty limited until they open it up more (to apps like Plex).

Dictation is the big thing I'd miss out on now if I didn't have it. Is dictation language-limited?

As I understand it, it's going to be very difficult to open up Siri to Plex because of the way it works on ATV. Apple keeps a database of a bunch of shows and movies, and Siri checks that database when you use her to search. It's up to all the services (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc) to submit their shows/movies to this database, and keep up with which ones are on which services. Because Plex can have so many weird obscure shows/movies in it, it's not really feasible for them to submit them all to Apple.

However, the easy workaround for this (and for being able to use Siri to search other apps where it's not feasible to add all the content to a database like YouTube or FunnyorDie) is to make it so I can ask "Siri, search Plex/YouTube/etc for King of the Hill", and it automatically opens to that app's search page and fills in the search term using dictation. This seems like it would be relatively easy to do, so hopefully they implement it soon!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Well that's kind of my point. I know they aren't going to add Plex to their universal Siri search thingy, so I'd like to be sitting in a completely unrelated app like YouTube or Pandora or something, get the urge to watch a Simpsons episode, say "Siri search Plex for Deep Space Homer", and be taken directly to the Plex search page with "Deep Space Homer" already filled in.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

WWDC is on, and there's your Siri search for Plex, you drat dirty apes.

...hopefully. He said it works with YouTube, not that it was any kind of open API or anything. It could be something they just gave YouTube access to. Guess we'll find out for sure later today/this week.

Also BOOOOOOOOOOOO UPDATE IN THE FALL

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Just noticed the latest update removed the Recently Updates list of apps in the Purchased tab of the App Store.

In case you want to see what changed, you've got to look up the app in the store and scroll down to Version History.

Version history seems to be gone now too. I noticed a few of my apps were updated, but there's really no way to see the changelist for them?

Maybe this is fixed in the tvOS10 release tomorrow.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
That's exactly what prompted this - I saw Plex had been updated, and wanted to see what's been changed.

I'm really hoping that tvOS 10's ability to search with Siri by saying "Search Youtube for XXXXX" isn't limited to YouTube, and is in fact an open API available to any app with a search function, and that Plex has updated to take advantage of it. I won't hold my breath though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
:lol: tvOS 10 is out and single sign-on is not included. gently caress you content providers!!!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

Mine's dark. Thats all I loving care about.

Yep. Since single sign-on doesn't work, and the Siri search I was hoping for doesn't work, dark mode is literally the only thing I'm excited about in this release.

Yay dark mode.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

The periscope app is the same way.

The periscope app is garbage until they let you comment on the videos. In an os that has pretty good voice dictation, I can't figure out why they don't have this.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm beginning to think a SlingPlayer app might not even be coming at all. :sigh:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Astro7x posted:

All these features sounds great, but who is subscribing to all these streaming services to make it worth it?

Many of these apps just need your parents's cable company login to use.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

tofes posted:

Anyone else using the NHL gamecenter app on the AppleTV 4 no longer able to seek during live games? It let's me skip backwards and forwards in 10 second increments but that's it, no rewinding, no seeking, and Siri's playback control doesn't work

This happens to me too, and it really sucks because other than that the new app is pretty great.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Hulu on the AppleTV output Dolby Digital 5.1? It's not doing so for me (even though it does for Netflix) and I can't tell if something's broke or if it just doesn't do it.

EDIT: Some googling has informed me that no, Hulu does not support 5.1 audio. Which is mind-blowing to me in TYOOL 2017. So even their top tier originals, like 11/22/63 or Handmaid's Tale - are only available in 2.0 stereo? That's bonkers.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 29, 2017

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
And despite all the changes to the Hulu app, they STILL don't support 5.1. :bang:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Soooo.....no Amazon Video app today?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does the new one support Dolby Digital Plus?

I'm sure in a blind test I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between that and vanilla Dolby Digital.....but I still wish I had it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
^^^ I never noticed that before, and it’s pretty awesome.

I just set up tvOS 11 and was amazed to finally see Xfinity in the list of TV providers. Finally, the promise of Single-sign-on from two years ago would be fulfilled!

Right?

lol gj apple

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
they're gonna release an amazon video app at WWDC

maybe they'll release the amazon video app during the iphone keynote

they'll probably release the amazon video app when they release tvOS 11

I'll bet they release the amazon video app when the AppleTV4k comes out

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

hey girl you up posted:

I don't think it will in the foreseeable future; the universal Siri search doesn't search local libraries. Just whatever is on its master list. (Doesn't work with Apple's own home sharing either.)

True, but it would be nice if I could say "Search Plex for XXXXXX" and it would automatically open Plex, go to the Plex Search tab, and populate the search field with XXXXXX.

Seems like something that's technically possible, but something that Apple would never do because it goes against their "universal search" mantra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the “Apple updates your HD iTunes purchases to 4K HDR” policy a permanent, ongoing thing? Or was that a one time thing to promote the AppleTV 4K release?

I ask because there’s a few things on sale in the store right now that don’t have 4K HDR versions, but probably will have them in the next couple months. (The Matrix, specifically, but also Beetlejuice and The Goonies)