Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
DISCLAIMER: I don't actually have a 4K ATV or 4K TV yet, but I'm planning to get one in the next month or so, so I've read a lot about it.

As I understand it, you're forcing everything to HDR now. A better fix would be to turn "Match Dynamic Range" back on, but change the default output of the GUI to SDR (not exactly sure what they call this in the menus). This should make the menus display in SDR, and your MLB clips display in SDR, and there shouldn't be a black flicker when you play them.

You'll still get the flicker when you load any HDR content, but that's to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have some movies in my iTunes account that got there through Movies Anywhere. But I only have access to them in HD. How do I buy some of these movies properly so I can have them in 4K HDR in my iTunes account?

I already tried unlinking my Movies Anywhere account but the movies are still there.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm noticing a weird issue with Netflix on my Apple TV - I have a 4k HDR TV, and I thought that I had figured out Netflix's nomenclature for the different kinds of content they have. If it just has the "HD" badge, then the show is in standard 1080p SDR. If it has the "UltraHD 4K" badge, then the show is in UHD SDR. And if it has the "Dolby Vision" badge, then the show is in UHD HDR.

But lately, I've been noticing a couple movies that have the "Dolby Vision" badge AND the "HD" badge. At first, I thought that this was just a strange instance of a movie being finished in HD but also having an HDR color pass done on it. But when I check the same movies using my TV's internal Netflix app, it just says Dolby Vision, signifying that it is actually UHD.

My AppleTV is set to output UHD SDR and match frame rate and dynamic range. So when I check the resolution on the TV, it says UHD 3840x2160 regardless of what content I'm watching. But it's very possible Netflix is sending me an HD stream that is being uprezzed by the Apple TV. And since I'm paying extra for this tier, I'd like to make sure I'm actually getting what I'm paying for.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've noticed it so far on Buster Scruggs and Mowgli. Yet some other movies, like the Kurt Russel Santa Claus movie or shows like Godless are still fine.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 11, 2018

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I feel the same way about the Slingbox app

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m starting my rewatch of Deadwood in advance of the movie, and I was curious which app would be better to watch it on - HBOGO or Amazon Prime. I did some googling and found out - much to my surprise - that the HBO GO app doesn’t support frame rate matching on the ATV. So I guess Amazon is the answer to that question.

But that got me thinking - my TV stupidly won’t tell me what frame rate is currently playing so I have no way of knowing what’s actually playing at 24 and what’s not (aside from just looking for judder or watching to see if there’s an extended bit of black when I start the show or go back to the menu.) Is there a site that keeps track of which apps support frame rate matching and which don’t? Or a site that compares and keeps track of varying quality across streaming apps? My various googling on that topic only brought me to a few random reddit threads, and all the info in there seemed anecdotal at best.

For example - I’ve seen many accounts that Amazon’s streams will be better than HBOGO’s streams for HBO shows. Is this a verifiable fact, or just hearsay?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So what exactly is changed about the TV app? I get that they have channels now so you can subscribe to HBO, STARZ, etc directly from Apple, but is that the only difference from how it was before?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

withak posted:

Has there ever been a worst idea than full-screen previews on the home screen?

Can this be turned off?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why doesn't the AirPods Pro Spatial Audio feature work with the AppleTV? Is it because with the phone they can be relatively sure the phone is going to be roughly 2 ft or so in front of your face, whereas with a TV they have no idea where you're sitting in relation to the TV so it would be jarring?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22369056/apple-tv-2021-120hz-refresh-rate-support-4k-gaming-arcade

I assume 120hz would not make an impact on video streaming ? Otherwise you would think the article would mention it.

Would 120hz mean that the AppleTV could run in “match frame rate” mode but not have to actually change its output frame rate every time, instead just doing all the necessary processing before output and then outputting a 120hz signal?

Not sure if I’m explaining this properly but it makes sense in my head :3:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

kliras posted:

It's not VRR specifically but QMS you want to look for: https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/quickmediaswitching.

Crap like this is why the HDMI 2.1 spec is such a mess: most of the interesting features are optional, so HDMI 2.1 only tell us something about throughput capability - and that wasn't even the case for the receivers with botched Panasonic chips. Just start naming it HDMI 2.1vqa or something for each feature at this point. Maybe we'll get stickers with "Full HDMI 2.1" to brings us, well, full circle.

VRR might be interesting for video with variable framerates (ie 60p/30p streams or videos with frame drops or terrible encoding settings).

I went down a rabbit hole reading about this last night. It seems that QMS avoids the drop out/resync process by relying on VRR. Rather than just switching from 24hz to 60hz or whatever, it uses VRR to ramp up or down to the desired refresh rate, which doesn't require a dropout.

But, as you pointed out, a lot of these features are optional. Is it possible that Apple kind of does a faked-QMS by just outputting 120hz at all times and doing whatever frame doubling is required internally before outputting to the monitor?

Of course, the gotcha with that is that (according to what I've read) 4K 120hz requires HDMI 2.1 anyway. So to even take advantage of this hypothetical faked-QMS, you'd still need need HDMI 2.1 compatible equipment. Unless you only wanted to do 1080p. LIKE A PLEBE

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So if I don’t do any gaming, is there any reason to upgrade from the old ATV4K to the new one?

4K HFR probably means the new one has HDMI 2.1, right? But since my TV doesn’t support that, it’s meaningless for me at the moment.

I guess I’ll see how much the new remote costs on its own, and then decide if it’s worth it. I actually don’t hate the old remote, but the new one definitely looks like an upgrade.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah they could have flexed and had AirTag technology built into the new remote. Too much $$$ I guess.

Also, looking at the new and old remote side by side, gently caress you Apple for moving the play/pause button. It would have been so easy to leave it in the same place and put the new mute button above it, to keep some continuity with the old remote.

drat YOU TIM APPLLEEEEEEEEEE

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

American McGay posted:

I haven't dove deep into all the new features, but most likely not at all.

Wait I just remembered. Is all the fancy auto-calibration stuff unique to the new ATV4K? I didn’t hear one mention of tvOS, so I assume it is.

I’ll probably wait and see what all the image calibration nerds say after they get their hands on it, but if they vouch for it then that could be a good reason to upgrade.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Gonna piss me off when they announce it requires the new ATV4k AND an iPhone 12 Pro or some poo poo like that

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

qirex posted:

The effect was pretty subtle for me, moved things slightly cooler towards blue/green.

This is basically what it did for me too. I had already roughly calibrated my screen by taking the Rtings numbers and tweaking them to my liking, so I figured they must have been pretty close.

I ended up keeping the new calibration since, if there hadn't been a before/after showing me the difference, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what changed.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
You shouldn't really be using DolbyVision mode anyway. Set your AppleTV to 4kSDR and Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate both to "ON". It will leave DolbyVision off until you watch any content that supports it, and turn it on for that content.

Otherwise you're just having the AppleTV do it's own somewhat questionable conversion of all your content into DolbyVision, not to mention burning out your TV faster.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, I’ve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
A similar thing happened to me when I first got my OG 4K ATV. When I first set the box up, volume control Just Worked™. And I know it was working through CEC because it worked on my iPhone remote app too.

Now like a month or so ago it stopped working. I had to manually go into the options, and the only way to get it working again was to fall back into IR.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sometimes I turn on “reduce loud sounds” using the pull down menu at the top of the screen while watching Netflix or something, and then the next day I remember it’s still on. But often times when I remember it’s still on, it’s when I’m watching Disney plus or YouTube or some other app that doesn’t use the native player.

Is there a shortcut to turning off “reduce loud sounds”? Usually I’ll just jump into a random Netflix movie to turn it off. I assume there’s a way to turn it off buried in the settings app too, but both of those are clunky methods when I’m in the middle of watching something.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just checked and asking Siri to do it indeed works. Thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Holy poo poo, spatial audio with AirPods Pro and the Apple TV is loving magic.

I totally forgot that it existed, so I just put my AirPods in and started browsing around for something to watch like I’ve done many times before. But when the show started (the opening happens to be pretty loud) I FREAKED out because it sounded like the sound was coming from the TV and it was LOUD.

Took me a few seconds to realize what was actually going on, and this thing works way better than I would have thought. It’s pretty spooky actually.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Haha, after making the post about how spatial audio is magic, today I was made aware of its shortcomings.

The first time I used it, I was just sitting on the couch and watching TV. Worked great. But today when using it, I got up and walked to the kitchen and walked around a bit while it was on.

It definitely freaked out the AirPods to have me walking around, and by the time I got back to my position on the couch, the audio was basically coming from behind me.

After about 30-60 seconds it automatically re-centered itself and was back to normal. Would be nice if there was some way to force it to re-center itself, but ultimately it's not a big deal.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I only used the new remote in the store but I also kinda hated it. Then again, I'm a weirdo that kinda loved the old-style Siri remote. If they had just made it shaped a little differently to easily differentiate the top from the bottom and added AirTag tracking to it, it woulda been perfect.

EDIT: And a mute button too. Shape it a little differently (wider at the top?), give it AirTag tracking, and add a mute button, and it's perfect.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 21, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They "upgraded" the YouTube app in the past couple days and now it sucks rear end. It now supports the "match framerate" option of the AppleTV, which SOUNDS good, until you realize that every video and ad is at a different framerate, which means the TV blacking out to change it's refresh rate every time you start a video and then every time it switches from video to ad and vice versa. Sometimes it even switches between ads.

They gotta fix this. Or at least give us the option to designate certain apps to ignore the "match framerate" option.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I really hope the new ATV drops at the September event and not at the October event. I just moved and I need to buy a new one for a guest room/office and I've been holding out for the new one, but I'm beginning to lose my resolve.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, I should clarify, I'm not at "I won't buy until the new one comes out", I just think that with an Apple event in less than two weeks it couldn't hurt to wait and see if anything new is announced, especially since a theoretical Apple TV Stick would be perfect for me. But if nothing is announced, I'll happily buy the current model and it will also work perfectly.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

jokes posted:

I'd take them off their hands I loving love these stupid things. Got a pair of them with my Apple TV I grabbed for $150 each and the sound quality is extremely great, especially since I only ever use an apple tv for movies/TV.

I assume you're talking about HomePod and not HomePod mini, right?

I have a HomePod Mini that I use with my bedroom projector and it's surprisingly good, at least for idly watching Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns in bed.

I was thinking about getting another Mini (or even a pair) for the spare room / office as a step up from the TV speakers (and because I want to put a smart speaker in there anyway). I briefly thought about trying to track down an OG HomePod instead of the Mini, but they're pretty pricey on eBay and I assume not worth the extra expense?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

kri kri posted:

Just re-upped for another year of YT premium for $16 or so. Well worth it imo to not have to deal with extensions and poo poo. Thanks India.

Is this as easy as setting the VPN on my laptop to India, and then signing up for a new account with premium? I don’t need to fake an India address or anything? Will they notice/care that I pay with a US credit card or logon 100% of the time from a US location (since I won’t be on the VPN on my AppleTV)?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

How is HBOMax app on apple tv? I'm contemplating picking up apple tv at some point, but it seems like almost a universal constant that hbomax app is lovely on every platform.

Totally fine. Never had a problem except that one time a year (?) ago when they pushed out an update that hosed everything up for a day or so and then reverted after everyone complained.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Peacock and Paramount+ are the worst two apps. Paramount+ is probably a hair or two worse than Peacock. You're right that Amazon ain't great either.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The newest Siri remote is a big boi too (at least compared to the previous one), so there should be plenty of room to stick an AirTag's guts in there.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wonder if there's any concern about the new models overheating without a fan. I just bought two 2021 models, and they're still in the return-eligible period (one is unopened even), and I'm considering returning them for the new models. I know I don't NEED to, but it'll be nice knowing I'm future-proofed with the A15 chip, and that I won't have any lightning devices left hanging around after Apple makes the switch to USB-C on the iPhone next year(?).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone successfully used the "Wireless Sync Calibrate" tool when using HomePods as your TV speaker?

I have a HomePod pair that I'm using as speakers for the TV in the guest room, and the sync seems to be just a bit off. But when I try the Wireless Sync Calibrate tool in the ATV, it doesn't play any sounds out of the HomePods, only out of the TV's internal speaker. That seems broken to me, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Wouldn’t the point be that the HomePods are listening to the tv speaker and attempting to sync to that? Or am I misunderstanding what’s happening?

I don't think so, because the iPhone is involved somehow. I assumed the iPhone was acting as the mic to test the latency, but it doesn't work if it won't play the drat tones out of the HomePods.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok, I spent the past hour reading various Reddit posts and Apple forum posts about this issue, and I think maybe I solved it? I'm pretty sure it looks better now but it's tough to say 100% because once you spend this long judging sync, your eyes start playing tricks on you.

Anyway, I think it's intentional that the tones don't play out of the HomePods. From what I can tell, the Apple devices already know how much latency there is from the AppleTV to the HomePods, but what they don't know is how much latency there is between the AppleTV and your TV (ie: is it connected directly? Does it go through a receiver or other intermediate box that adds delay?).

So the phone listens to the tones through the "regular" tv speakers to set the proper delay on the HomePods.

But here's where it gets tricky:

From what I can tell, each TV output/framerate needs it's own calibration. So if you run the recommended setup of "Menus at 1080p or 4K SDR 60Hz, Turn ON Match Framrerate and Dynamic Range), then once you start watching something that changes the frame rate to 23.98, you'll be back out of sync. So you need to manually set the output of your ATV to each frame rate that you use and run the calibration. I'm considering this verified because once you run the calibration at 4K 60Hz, the setting reads as "Calibrated." If you try to run it again, it will say "This is already calibrated, would you like to re-calibrate?" or something like that. But if you then switch to 4K 23.98Hz, it no longer lists as "Calibrated" and acts as if you're running calibration for the first time.

So I calibrated it for 4K SDR 60Hz (the menus), 4K SDR 23.98 Hz (most SDR content), 4K Dolby Vision 23.98 Hz (DV Content), and 4K HDR 23.98 Hz (any non-DV HDR Content).

I think it looks better now, but like I said, it's hard to say for sure. I'll look at it again with fresh eyes later and see if it still looks good to me.

I have a new ATV on order, and when I get that I'll probably do all the 24Hz, 25Hz, and 60Hz options as well, but those are really edge cases that shouldn't come up very often.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 31, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I mean, technically, isn't everything that comes out of the AppleTV upscaled? If you have your ATV set to 4K with both matching options turned on, it will change the frame rate of the output, but it's always outputting a UHD signal. It's just doing a normal everyday upscale and not a fancy AI-assisted sharpening-and-smoothing-added upscale.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

phosdex posted:

Maybe I don't have the correct term? When I watch a dvd rip of Cheers in Plex, the image is being upscaled to whatever res tv I have right? Same thing when I'm watching a 720 stream of espn hockey. It has to get upscaled to 4k on my tv.

That's correct. Modern TV's are fixed-resolution screens, so everything displayed on them is being upscaled if it's a smaller resolution than the resolution of the TV. It's just a matter of whether the upscaling is being done by your streaming box or by the TV itself.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is it possible the app is just Haydn the playlists?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's happened to me twice so far where the remote becomes disconnected and completely unresponsive. Both times it resolved itself in 10-15 minutes, but that's a supremely annoying 10-15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Anyone with the newest 4K model still experiencing remote issues since any of the recent point releases?

I stopped having the issue for like 2 months, and then it just happened to my twice this week. Is there a fix for it?