Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Apple TV is so infuriating sometimes.

I have an AppleTV in my office that’s set to use a HomePod pair as the default audio output. And after some initial growing pains, it’s worked fine for a while.

But now, I’m spending the weekend at my parents house and I took it with me. Easy enough, just change the “default audio output” to tv speakers, right. No. Every time I try to change it, I get the spinning wheel of death and nothing happens. I’ve tried on the ATV itself and in the Home app, and it does the same thing in both.

The most infuriating part is that it IS playing the audio out of the TV speakers, but every 2 minutes or so I get a pop up that says “unable to connect to HomePod. Try again or change default audio output”

Anyone run into this before and have any ideas how to fix? I tried moving the ATV out of the “Office” room in the Home app but that didn’t work. Short of fully setting this up as a new ATV from scratch, I’m all out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I bought the Mission: Impossible 5-film set on Apple like 4 years ago or whenever the last movie came out. I remember watching the first movie at the time and being wow-ed by the picture quality and remastering (it’s in Dolby Vision HDR now).

I’m watching it again today, and the picture quality can only be described as “rear end”. Did Apple significantly reduce the bitrate of their movies in the past few years? Is there any way to tell it to temporarily download a high bitrate version so it doesn’t look like I’m watching a poorly encoded 720p YouTube video?

EDIT: I don't know what the deal was, but later on in the day I started up MI:III and it looked great. So I went back to check the original again, and now it looks great. It definitely wasn't network congestion on my end, because I checked speeds to make sure that wasn't the issue. Annoying.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 10, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

What's wrong with that though

Watch your TV however makes you happy, but it's "wrong" because the filmmakers didn't intend for or grade the content to be in HDR. They graded it for SDR and the AppleTV is taking a best guess as to how to convert it to HDR. You may as well just set your TV to "Vivid" mode

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
But make sure you're getting the 4K version (unless you don't care about such things, but since you shelled out the cash for an LG C2 I'd assume you do.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Most annoying pet peeve about the Apple TV:

I'm setup using the recommended "4K SDR 60Hz - Match Frame Rate ON - Match Dynamic Range - ON" settings.

Whenever I watch any movie, there's a dropout on the TV when it has to switch from 60Hz to 24Hz. If the movie happens to be in DolbyVision or HDR, the dropout is longer because it also switches the picture mode to DV or HDR.

That's fine. It would be nice if it happened faster, but I can live with it.

The annoying part is when I pause the movie and go to the bathroom or something, and the TV switches to screensaver. Because the screensavers are in 60Hz SDR, it has to switch the TV back over to that to play the screensavers, and then back AGAIN when I want to unpause the movie.

Technically, this is the Apple TV working as I set it to. It's changing the frame rate and dynamic range to that of the screensavers. But I wish there was an option to tell it to ignore that setting for screensavers. I don't care if the screensaver that's on while my movie is paused is color-mapped and playing back juddery because it's at 24Hz.

Behold, the MOST First World Problem!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Corb3t posted:

I believe the latest AppleTV support Quick Media Switching for faster transition between framerates. Your TV would need to support it, too, though.

Thanks for this. I went far down a rabbit hole because my TV (LG C2) does support VRR and GSYNC so I thought I would get this, but unfortunately this specific implementation is called QMS and is not supported on my TV, only starting with the C3 series and onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My last OLED before this one suffered from screen burn in. But that was like 12 hours a day of video games in HDR for a year during Covid, so I couldn't get too upset about it.