Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kenderama posted:

An item for the FAQ:

Legacy AppleTV remotes WILL work with the new AppleTV. Just no Siri, touchpad, etc. But as directional buttons, play/pause, etc. they work fine!

That is awesome to hear since I use a Harmony Hub to control my home theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

I'm running it on a slightly higher end machine (Dell R620) but it handles literally everything I've thrown at it.

I just now installed a plugin channel for my HDHomeRun so I can watch OTA ATSC on my AppleTV via plex.

The future (well, 2010) is here

Well, poo poo. I didn't know it had a Plex plugin. Time to get me the new ATV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

Correct.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TinTower posted:

I'm surprised that Apple TV can't control HomeKit devices. It'd be pretty cool if you could use the Siri remote to dim the lights, for example.

Then again, HomeKit is a massive disappointment at the moment. There really needs to be a Home app which you can set up IFTTT-like recipes in. Like, "If I open Netflix on my Apple TV, dim the lights".

I have to believe this is Coming SoonTM. It's too useful of an idea not to. If they can get other manufacturers on board I'd get it in a heartbeat. To be honest, all I'd want is integration with Honeywell/Nest for HVAC and something along the lines of controlling Phillips HUE lights.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mulls posted:

Some TVs only output 2.1. Does your TV send 5.1 signals to your Onkyo from other devices?

I have a Dennon, but I know Onkyo is very similar in that it has multiple HDMI-IN and an HDMI-OUT for video. So the Dennon is in the middle. ATV into Dennon then video over HDMI-OUT to the TV. My TV basically functions as a monitor. My Harmony Hub (and the Harmony One remote before that) sends audio commands to the Dennon and other remote stuff to the ATV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GutBomb posted:

I was under the impression that the live streaming service was supposed to just be live streams of TV channels so I would imagine that it would. I think NFL is available on the NBC sports app for Sunday nights.

Yeah, FOX Sports does as well, if I recall correctly.

Last I remember, CBS was in this fantasy-land where people were willing to pay for a streaming service of *just* CBS properties, including live simulcasts of what's on the air. So they locked *everything* behind a pay-wall.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

I have the tiny Steel Series controller. is it compatible with my Apple TV?

If it's bluetooth, then yes. (also, if it works with iOS, it will work with tvOS)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bolind posted:

So this is where Lowtax hides his Apple TV thread.

I recently got myself an Apple TV generation 4. I'm struggling to find a way to pipe the sound through my decidedly analog 20 year old NAD amplifier. I tried going through my TV's headphone out port, but that gave me a terrible feedback loop.

Yesterday, I got an idea: I have a spare Apple Airport Express sitting around, doing nothing. Could this be used as an Airplay "thingie", streaming the audio from the Apple TV to that? How would the topology look? I could run wired ethernet between the Apple TV and the Airport Express. Unfortunately, I don't have an ethernet outlet near the setup, so it needs to go over Wifi eventually.

Thoughts?

The latency would be crazy bad for audio most likely. In that I mean everything will look like a cheaply dubbed foreign movie with sound being out of synch.

Your best bet is to buy a $30 splitter box on Amazon that will pull the audio stream out of the HDMI signal.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

choobs posted:

Is there a way to browse the tvOS app store or see what apps you already have are supported by tvOS? I haven't gotten an ATV4 yet, but I'd love to see what is and isn't available on the platform.

The only way I know of is with an actual AppleTV. The iOS apps that were also available as tvOS apps just magically appeared in my "purchased" section in the App Store.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

It would be a better idea to get a new amp or an HDMI splitter that can split discrete channels. Everything is going discrete uncompressed channels over HDMI.

Yeah, personally I'd be more comfortable splitting it from the HDMI stream, than relying on the TV TOS-link. And unfortunately, the only A/V out on the ATV 4 is HDMI.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

poppingseagull posted:

Probably been mentioned before but seriously, 10/100 Ethernet? I was using that and thought local streaming was going slow, sure enough, saw it wasn't gigabit. Switched to wireless (with a nice new router) and I get like 600 mbps. It made a huge difference in buffering times when using Infuse for local 1080p files.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize only 10/100 was even an option for components anymore :stonk:

I honestly didn't even notice since I have a nice shiny 802.11ac router, but god drat. I can't imagine the cost savings makes that much difference even at millions of units. You'd think that with *everything* having 10/100/1000 that 10/100 would almost be a custom order.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaz2k21 posted:

Fubo? I'm in the UK so it is only really usable through a VPN I tried using it but doesn't seem to work for one reason or another, also it's a live stream so if I'm not able to watch it live I'd miss it.

A shame as the El Rey Network seems like the kind of channel I'd enjoy

El Rey is fantastic. They had a "show all the Godzilla movies except the Emerich one and the latest one" marathon around Christmas, and every now and then they have a Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movie marathon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the YouTube app working correctly for everyone? For hours no videos will play, I just get a "An error occurred loading this content" message on anything. Am in my account fine and able to add things to playlists and watch later etc, but nothing plays back.

Haven't noticed any issues using ProTube.

I've been using ProTube for a while, even after YouTube forced them to stop allowing downloads. I like the interface better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe I'm missing something, but in TV Episodes is there an easy way to skip to a specific season? Or am I stuck swiping through all the drat episodes? I'm doing a re-watch of some older shows so they're all marked as "watched".

I know I can open the show in the store and get into the specific season and start playing from there, but it's a bit more inconvenient. I suppose I can just mark episodes as "unwatched" so it just picks up from there if I select play in the app. It just seems like a pain to have to go into iTunes on my mac and do that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

housefly posted:

Interesting. Last I read about it, which I believe was sometime in November, they weren't going to support it. Maybe things changed?

The only thing I remember them saying was that they were removing the Apple TV from their website since they had no interest in selling a Fire competitor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cawd Rud posted:

This has always been the behavior for me... what kind of info screen were you seeing previously?

Same here. Granted I've only had mine for about a month, but it's been like that since I got it (I watch a lot BBC shows of dubious provenance).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Plex makes it own, and if you have an HDHomeRun it owns for that too. I just bought Channels.app despite the high price tag, just to separate my HDHomeRun from my Plex server. I didn't find the Plex HDHR plugin's look that appealing and Channels is pretty nice. I also find that NHK World is fun to watch when I just want noise on in the background, Youtube has plenty of live stuff, UnTwitched fills my need for nerds playing games. Basically I've got pretty much everything I need to cut the cable even if you cut out Netflix or Hulu.

Yes, Channels is expensive, but if you have an HDHomeRun it's so so worth the money. And they do keep updating it. I don't know if the rewind capability was there to start or if it was recently added but it owns. I just discovered it by accident last night when I missed some dialog forgetting I was watching live TV and it worked.

Honestly, if it weren't for College Football and Monday Night Football on ESPN, I'd have zero reason for cable at all. Most of the "I MUST WATCH" shows are either on Hulu or I can buy it on iTunes/Amazon Prime (I also have a fireTV I could hook up if I needed to). Worst case, I wait until the season pops up as an Amazon Prime free show or on Netflix.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I'm fine with the touch, there's just two things. One is the menu thing I talked about, the other is really there probably aren't enough buttons. I'm curious to see how you channel surf their eventual TV service, since the only app I've seen try to do that sort of thing with swipes is PlutoTV and it is feels out of control.

Channels seems to do it well (HDHomeRun client). It's shows a grid of stations, with the channel number/name and the show that's on. It also shows the title card of whatever is currently showing for that channel if it has it or the station logo if not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

There are swiping shortcuts?!

I'm with you on that. Is there a list or something somewhere?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do not get 1Keyboard if you have AppleTV 4. It will not work.

I bought it some time ago to use with previous generation Apple TVs (and it works great with those). But I literally tested it a couple minutes ago, and the ATV4 will not even see it to pair with (you're basically pairing your computer to the ATV via Bluetooth)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

So what's the go-to method of hooking up the new Apple TV to digital audio?

Have an amplifier/receiver that takes HDMI input and decodes the audio stream and sends the video via HDMI out?

Either that or HDMI to TV, audio out from TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Does the touch remote actually have wiimote-style tracking, or did I just remember wrong? That's the part I think would be good for Rez. Using the touchpad for Rez would legitimately make me bleed out my eyes, I think. Too small of a surface. Rez HD is the only reason I still have an Xbox360 in storage. I just pull it out and hook it up whenever I want to play :unsmith:

It has an accelerometer and gyro, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't keep track of it's position relative to the ATV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lincoln posted:

Ok so now I'm watching a purchased movie straight from iTunes via ATV, and it's still interpolating frame rate. Before I was using AirPlay from my MBP & thought it might be an issue with how my computer was feeding the video. Nope. Driving me nuts. Arrrr.

You may have a bum unit, it does happen.

I'd say either take it into the Apple Store or call Apple.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Perplx posted:

cover the ir port? the new remote is bluetooth

Well, we can't be talking about the new Apple TV, since that remote is BT and you have to specifically pair them.

The older Apple TVs allowed you to lock it to a single Apple remote, so that only that remote could control it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201254

However, if you're using a universal remote like a Harmony or something, you're poo poo out of luck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainCaveman posted:

It has an IR receiver.

Well, poo poo. My bad. I had checked mine and there's no way to lock it out on the ATV4. I just assumed because of that not being in options and the fact the controller it comes with is BT.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

I'm honestly super curious why they made a new app versus updating the old one.

Probably because the old one was a side project of one guy at Apple who I believe is no longer there.

Apparently, that's why the old one wasn't working on day one of ATV4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hopefully between xfinity, nbc sports app, and BBC iplayer if I can get it working with a smart dns service I'll have all the olympics my little brain can handle.

Good news, BBC iPlayer *does* work with smart dns (at least it does with OverPlay).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I tend to like Infuse over Plex.

Channels if you have an HD HomeRun on your network.

ESPN and all the other sports channels. Really, just about any TV channel you would want on demand access to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

The two channels I most want (USA and ESPN) are in different Sling packages and it would cost me more to cancel my TV subscription and get that than to carry on.

That is so idiotic. I don't know if it's just my region, but you have to choose between an "orange" or a "blue" package. Which means I get a choice between Fox Sports channels or ESPN channels, but not both.

So, I just use PS Vue. I just wish they would hurry with the Apple TV app. Using a game controller as a remote sucks and the FireTV user interface is an unholy mess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apparently Apple quietly flipped the switch for single sign-on tonight:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/03/single-sign-on-now-available/

Very limited selection, but promising.

Now, just get PS Vue in there. I hate having to log into each channel offering individually.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Not available in Canada. I'd be disappointment if I hadn't come to expect this from literally every cool thing Apple has done.

edit: Judging from my iPhone and iPad which have no sign on section in Settings, I mean. I didn't actually check my ATV this morning.

According to the article it's only available fir developer accounts running tvOS 10.1 beta and tvOS 10.2 beta. It's not available for the proles yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's really odd as Amazon are usually all about getting the service to as many people as possible. I imagine it's more about not wanting people to signup through the ATV app and losing that part of the subscription, as fire tv hardware sales can't be particularly important to them.

It's real weird, because you can supply the video client without doing your sub services through Apple. I would buy that if they didn't have an iOS client already.

Personally, I think it *is* about moving units of the FireTV since they won't sell AppleTV through Amazon either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hell yes! PlayStation Vue *just* dropped for the 4th gen AppleTV today. I can *finally* ditch my FireTV and its hideous interface. Everything I need for TV is now on the Apple TV.

I actually started using the PS4 version of the app, despite how much using the game controller sucks as a remote. That's how much I hated the FireTV interface. Now all is right in the world.

E; God drat it. fb. :argh:

Feenix posted:

Any of you guys check out PlayStation Vue that launched today? It's all new to me as I have it had live TV for the past 5+ years. It seems cool, though. A lot of guides and functionality to learn, but the trial period is nice of them to offer to see how it works. I may stay with it.
It's not necessarily the cheaper option than on-contract cable (I'm paying for the $75 plan - all channels including HBO, Showtime and broadcast channels). But it's month to month, and I make enough that I can use it on principle to show the cable company a middle finger. I'm really hoping that we move towards unbundling so I can ala carte my channels, but that's more on the content providers than the delivery company.

A couple of caveats:
1 - No Viacom channels. No Nickelodeon or Comedy Central right now. That could change in the future, but they just dropped them last week when negotiations broke down with Viacom.

2 - The HBO option is actually an HBO NOW plan. You use your playstation account to set up an HBO Now account if you want to watch outside of the PS Vue app.

3 - Data caps. If you have data caps you'll want to be careful. I watch a moderate amount of TV. Mostly sports and a few hours in the evenings. Saturday is currently my heavy viewing (college football 10AM until about 11 PM). I have a 1TB cap with an option for unlimited for $50 more. But so far so good. I've averaged about 650GB for the last few months. That includes loving around on the Internet, working from home over VPN for about 50%+ of the week, Netflix, HBO NOW, and my watching habits.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 17, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Yeah the Data Cap is actually the only thing I didn't think if. Also 1tb here. But I download a LOT of shows and PS4 games and whatnot.

Good to know...

If you have Comcast/Xfinity, it's $50 to get unlimited data (over the Internet cost). So keep an eye on it. Your Xfinity account page has a meter that I think is updated daily. Otherwise your overage is $10 per 100GB. And I think they just charge you - no warnings.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Two initial free grace period months, but yes. And yes I may just pay the overage if need be since work reimburses me for the basic internet.

Another thing to look into, depending on where you live, is an HD antenna + HD HomeRun Connect.

I have that with the Channels app so I can grab broadcast channels OTA. Quality is way better than cable or Internet delivery since it's an uncompressed feed. It's fantastic for the rare live sports event on broadcast channels.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Re: Vue

I'm not going to lie, I didn't subscribe necessarily focused on football, but I was hoping to see some Seahawks games.
Thusly, I got the 2nd tier package, which includes NFL network. I tried it on my phone around dinner and got some splash screen about "your Vue is fine, don't worry, but we aren't gonna show this." Then I remembered that Verizon has exclusive *phone* rights to NFL games.

I shrugged and tried later on my ATV4.

Same ducking message. So I can't watch NFL on my ATV4 either??!

gently caress you. Thanks for not mentioning that at all when I choose this tier of package

Kinda disappointed about that.

I watched the game on NBC tonight (it was on NBC/NFL/Twitter tonight for reasons I do not know), but I have watched Thursday night games this season on Vue with the NFL network. I can't imagine it being blacked out due to region since the Seahawks weren't even playing.

I'd drop their support center a line about that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Maybe. But what I fear is that iPhone and AppleTV are being considered 'same' here and being not allowed to stream games. What device was it you watched Vue on?

Oh. Right. That was on the PS4.

I'll give it go next Thursday.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not a huge fan of navigating the Guide.

I really don't understand why they decided to flip the axes in the guide from what I've normally seen in general (it's that way across all devices). The channels are on the horizontal axis so you have to swipe left and right to look at other channels as opposed to up and down in every other guide I've seen (except for when I tested Sling - that one is even stupider). And it's super sensitive to anything other than a perfectly horizontal swipe, so you may find yourself swiping forward or backward a couple hours in the guide.

It's more responsive than the fireTV (which I can finally retire), the PS4 still loads the program guide instantly as opposed to the slight lag on the aTV to initially load the guide. But everything is super responsive.

It's also profile aware, which is nice. That means I can have my main profile with my favorites for general channels, and my sports profile for my sports-only favs. And it puts all your favs together at the beginning of the guide.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn't the TV guide that we all know and love copyrighted by someone? It was brought up in the Plex thread as they don't use the standard layout either. Maybe Sony didn't want to pay licensing fees and changing the axes is enough to get out of it.

I thought you couldn't copyright how data is presented, only the data itself. But I'm not an IP lawyer, so that could be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix, figured out your NFL issue.

If you have NFL Network but it's on a local broadcast channel it blacks out the NFL Network for the broadcast area. Since you mentioned the Seahawks, I'm guessing you're not in one of the regions Sony negotiated broadcast channels with their service, so your only option was broadcast, NBC Sports app or Twitter.

Next time check to see if it's on a broadcast channel. Some apps like NBC/FOX/CBS Sports let you watch live sports without an account. I think ABC you would be out of luck, since ESPN handles their sports broadcasts.