Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Definitely try out Fantasian which just came out and is by a bunch of OG Final Fantasy people (Mistwalker + Nobue Uematsu). It's a really fun nostalgia trip with a lot of the typical tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22369056/apple-tv-2021-120hz-refresh-rate-support-4k-gaming-arcade

I assume 120hz would not make an impact on video streaming ? Otherwise you would think the article would mention it.

That said, I would for sure buy one and probably buy 2 within 2 mins of an announcement.
It won't make an impact aside from menus and interfaces being snappier to look at (assuming they aren't just hardcoded). Just sounds like basic HDMI 2.1 support. This means your device will hopefully not black out every time it has to change its refresh rate to match the framerate of what's being viewed.

Livechats might be nicer to look at.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Fedule posted:

120fps output would be neat because it would mean you could display 24, 30 or 60 fps content without having to change the output framerate, just by using integer repetition.

HDMI 2.1 with VRR would be preferable ultimately (although maybe not? I don't know if VRR can go down to 24), but this would work.
It's not VRR specifically but QMS you want to look for: https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/quickmediaswitching.

Crap like this is why the HDMI 2.1 spec is such a mess: most of the interesting features are optional, so HDMI 2.1 only tell us something about throughput capability - and that wasn't even the case for the receivers with botched Panasonic chips. Just start naming it HDMI 2.1vqa or something for each feature at this point. Maybe we'll get stickers with "Full HDMI 2.1" to brings us, well, full circle.

VRR might be interesting for video with variable framerates (ie 60p/30p streams or videos with frame drops or terrible encoding settings).

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

qirex posted:

The HDMI forum has specifically discouraged any idea of "full" 2.1, mostly because its members are all the electronics companies currently doing it wrong all over the market. That said if Apple has hardware that can do it all it wouldn't be bad to release it now since they only update the thing every several years. That said the probability of more than a handful of things working on an average system is super low.
Oh no, it was more tongue-in-cheek, because "Full HD" was the weird marketing speak for non-interlaced 1080p flatscreens back in the day where "HD Ready" was a euphemism for "barely HD" at the time TVs went from SD to HD.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I'm glad I haven't bought a laptop in a million years, because the WBBQHD viewport terms for all the options are so hilariously confusing. And some still use 16:10.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
That colour calibration feature is definitely going to be exclusive to the new device, even though it's all tied to iPhone hardware, isn't it.

e: Well that was some timing.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Who's gonna be the guinea pig who upgrades to tvOS 14.5 and tells us which apps break? Especially YouTube and Crunchyroll, since Google have done their all not to update any apps to comply with the tracking disclosure.

Rumours say iOS might drop around 10 AM PT. Presumably tvOS would follow.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Binary Badger posted:

Ya, that's me.. it took longer to upgrade to iOS 14.5 on my drat phone than the ATV 4K did.

Tried out YT, PBS, Crunchyroll, some others, everything works.

Tried out Color Balance.. holy poo poo it made a big difference on AppleTV movies like Greyhound and others like Pacific Rim.. I calibrated with my iPhoney 11 and a lovely Toshiba combo DVD player, only a 24" screen.. colors popped better, could swear I got a rez upgrade on a lovely 1080p TV.. worked the first time out.. a little weirded out how it told me to use my front camera instead of the back, and I had to hold the phone an inch from the screen.. but worth it for the 40 seconds it took for the entire procedure..
It uses FaceID ... which was a fun thing to realize when I was standing in front of the TV with my iPhone SE 2. :smith:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
The Colour Balance feature is just about what I would come to expect from the people behind Wireless Sync: a compelling feature, but the lack of a useful before-and-after comparison is going to make a lot of people go with the original settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYrl8k7ymxE

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, I’ve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?
I think my content matching setting changed as well. But it might only have been for framerate though.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If ATV 4Kv1 struggles with 4K60 YouTube, then what kind of mess is AV1 playback gonna be. Guess I should temper my expectations for future software decoding.

Guess we could figure it out by looking at the phones the chips were used with.

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 21, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Man, I was losing my mind at weird audio desync, and it turns out Corridow Crew just don't know how to sync their audio in any of their YouTube videos.

Still curious how framerate matching might be a factor; Twitch is still very weird, but then again, it's the Twitch app.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Today's tvOS 15 playback UI update for movies etc looks great btw.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Grimmeh posted:

Bit of a cross-post with the HDTV thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=536#post521137879

Am I doing something wrong with the AppleTV settings maybe? Anyone else getting odd lip sync issues with a similar configuration?
Tried stuff like setting the TV's AV channel to passthrough instead of, uh ... auto? It's the per-channel setting.

My guess is that there's some re-encoding of audio somewhere, and ATV's audio settings are notoriously opaque about what is going on.

Also make sure to see what audio it happens with, because a YouTube video won't have the same audio a Netflix show will. A lot of YouTube channels have atrocious syncing because of bad editing.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
pretty sure i just lost my original 4k remote. then again, it's also impossible to look for, so i haven't considered buying a new one, as it might emerge from the sediment of a couch cushion one day

at least i've come to appreciate hdmi-cec support more. turns out double tapping the "back" button works as the return-to-home button, which means i only miss the original remote for the microphone and faster response, especially for typing text

i also noticed that the touch-based navigation does a better job of hating terrible response latency in apps. it's really grating to use direction-based buttons in certain apps

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 21, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the app is borderline useless tbh. it also resets my playback position most of the time, so either you watch a longer video in one go, or you just check it out on desktop instead

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
twitch also has basically the same problem where it doesn't save playback position correctly. on top of making it hard to watch vods

... and being unable to use a cursor to navigate instead of using multiples of playback speed is absurd for a service where people can stream six hours or more at a time

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there were some rumours about tv sticks, so it wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade

i think i lost my remote, and the drat thing is like half the price of a whole apple tv. lose your remote? don't worry, just buy a whole new set-top box

u1 chip tracker in the next remote or bust

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good news everyone, the youtube app sucks slightly less now

https://twitter.com/Flatpanels/status/1577233357636870149

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
for video: 4k sdr, match content and framerate

4k sdr is largely because the youtube app is garbage that will show sdr content in hdr by default otherwise. just ignore tvos bothering you to set it to dv which overrides it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nice overview of the differences

https://twitter.com/Flatpanels/status/1582735821358014464

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the point is to test the latency. i tried using the feature and gave up as it seemed to make the desync worse - but it doesn't help that there is zero f'ing feedback and onboarding

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

smackfu posted:

I set up our new Apple TV 4K and for some reason the YouTube app is showing a loving confirmation dialog every time you hit the back button to exit it. And if you say Yes, it just shows a black screen and doesn’t go back to the menu. WTF

Edit: deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app somehow mostly fixed this? No confirmation dialog now then it shows a black screen for a second. No “match content” turned on, just random black screen. YouTube app really is the worst one.
i haven't done it in a while, but i definitely had to force close the youtube app several times a month when using it when i first got my atv. it's by far the worst app

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
new atv remote has bluetooth issues apparently

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1670828309

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the bluetooth issue on the latest 4k gen 3 atv is not looking good

https://twitter.com/Flatpanels/status/1616040553132527625

e: apparently there's also a "revamp" of the apple tv coming next year, and somehow, it was supposed to have come out this year?

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1615825578975797262

not really sure how that make sense, unless they're going through chip inventory at a faster pace. nothing in the article suggests any non-incremental improvement

non-paywalled recap:

https://twitter.com/iMore/status/1615908161080201223

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 19, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the jellyfin tvos app is finally available in the app store btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKF5GtBIxpM

i tried it out, but it failed to detect a bunch of stuff, so i'm going to let someone else mess around with it for a bit first

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
setting up an infuse server on pc felt like a hassle, but if i use a plex server with infuse playback, will stuff actually play on my apple tv?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
apple tv is pretty great overall. remotes are kinda frustrating, especially if you lose and have to replace them

some of the buttons don't correspond super well to a regular remote using hdmi-cec. i still can't figure out if there's a way to close apps without a late-gen remote

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's mostly just for when an app bugs out and i have to force close it. i think the hbo app is the worst offender, but i use it so rarely that i don't have to do the occasional reboot

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the youtube app is rear end and literally the main reason to set your apple tv to "4k sdr" with "match content", because it will blow out the default sdr and show it as what you've set it to otherwise

as for dv/hdr content, it's probably easier to just test and see what they look like with the different settings. i've never really watched one on youtube on the tv except right after i got it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

olives black posted:

Is it rear end compared to the Roku app? (Not that I think the Roku Youtube app is rear end, just that that's my frame of reference)
no idea. if the colours are blown out on sdr content with hdr/dovi enabled, then probably. i'd just take a photo with my phone for it with default settings vs match content to compare

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
realistically, you're not going to watch a lot of twitch. i don't think the delay is that bad nowadays for stuff like watching events, though; it used to be awful compared to mobile

the best way to watch twitch is through pip, but i don't think it's available on tvos. depends on the kinds of streamers you watch of course. the main problem with non-desktop twitch are all the third-party emotes most streamers use that won't display without the extensions nowadays

also they improved the seeking and scrubbing so you don't have to use the fast forward crap anymore. i also think it's more consistent about saving you watch position now; it used to be terrible

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
can't wait to find out which landfill the remote i accidentally threw out months ago is in

e: or wait, is it the latest remote model that they had already said was going to support this on launch or something. and then they just never shipped it? what?

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 5, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah there's not much of a reason for a refresh unless they just want to stop producing some of the older A chips that go into the devices

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah bluetooth can be weird at times. i found out that my monitor blocks my controller if i hold it up too high because of the position of the wireless receiver on my computer

fun times troubleshooting why my controller would just flat out not accept input while fighting bosses in elden ring

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
running your apple tv like a vpn exit node also sounds really, really convenient

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wifi dropping on wake-up is like the oldest apple bug in the world; i used to have it on my macbook. i guess there's no new firmware update that shipped when tvos 17 dropped for later models that you could try?

when you say restart, do you mean turning it on and off or using the dedicated restart feature? i had to use that one after tvos 17 dropped because of something i forget not working after the update

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't use facetime, but for mounts, the glif makes it very easy to mount and unmount a phone regularly: it literally takes a second, which is what you want. looks like the gorillapod 1k and griptight is currently discounted

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
did you forward any ports for it? it’s always been miserable to use for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

American McGay posted:

I think I remember some default setting to "match content to the menus" where it'll convert it to fake HDR/DV so that when switching between menus and content your screen doesn't flicker while changing modes. You can turn it off if you want but I'm not sure it actually hurts anything unless you're a calibrated screen kinda guy.
yep.

youtube's one of the apps that are displayed incorrectly if you don't do it