Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The "games must be playable on remote" thing is crappy. I know what Apple is going for, but I'm really hoping they find some way to loosen the restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't forget that it seems that for now apps are limited to 200mb on-disk while everything else is served on-demand.

I suspect that's something that will get adjusted up at some point but I wouldn't worry about any one game or app killing most of my storage any time soon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Are these things still not worth buying if I live in Canada and don't have cable (No Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Instant, WWE, NHL, etc. etc. etc. :smith: )?

Serious question, by the way.

I use my ATV3 every day. Netflix, Youtube, NHL, and MLB until recently.

New one will likely be a lot more flexible since content will essentially be user submitted apps so we'll get Plex, probably Hockeystreams, etc.

There's a bunch of stuff that has Plex channels too that I watch even though I'm in Canada using unblock-us.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How does Applecare work on gadgets like ATV? Is it like my MBP where I can buy it after the fact? I just realized that it's a sort of "first gen" type device so I wouldn't mind picking up $23 worth of insurance on it down the road.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So those of us waiting for Plex -- looks like we'll have some options.

http://simplex.video

Looks like this one will closely mirror the AppleTV aesthetic for those of us who are sticklers for things like that.

It's nice to be going from "lovely hack solution for plex" to "plethora of options for plex" in one swoop.

mediaphage posted:

It's your :10bux: but I don't see the point of insurance on something like the ATV. It doesn't move, and it's pretty unlikely to fail after the first month (barring obsolescence past the point you'd have since replaced it anyway).

That's a fair point; I suppose that if it were going to fail due to manufacturing defects it wouldn't be after the first month.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Could someone give me the rundown on why Plex is a thing I should start paying attention to?

It's the prevalent "DIY" home media server software. A lot of us have been using it on iPad/iPhone (and even AppleTV in some ways) to stream content not available on ATV previously. It's cross-platform so you can use your Roku, iDevice, or PC/Mac to watch your library.

If you don't already use Plex then it is likely not going to change much, but those of us who have Plex libraries set up already are jumping for joy that we'll get a native way to run it again, without having to hack it into the ATV UI.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kind of excited about the possibility of something like HDHomeRun getting an app for ATV4. ATV getting closer to being the one media centre in my home, whether that's streaming or live.

edit: Well, not the HDHomeRun since it's been discontinued, but you know what I mean.

edit2: Oh I thought it was discontinued but looks like I'm wrong?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 27, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think there is any news on a Kodi app, but if Plex is coming I'm sure Kodi is soon behind.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah HDHR is still around, not sure where you got the discontinuation idea from other than I dunno, probably Microsoft (more or less) ditching Windows Media Center support/updates, which is the main way of using HDHRs for most folks. Or CableCard going away which is another big issue going forward, although ideally whatever new thing would actually be easier to work with.

Anyway they did a Kickstarter for standalone DVR server and viewer software but it's still early afaik. I'm not sure there's anything technical stopping the viewer from working on ATV so hopefully they make a client eventually, but for now it's not one of the platforms they're working on. Until then I'm hoping whatever other streaming app to be able to view live or recordings like I do with nPlayer on iOS right now.

I bought one on a whim just now since I've been looking for a(n) HD OTA tuner anyway. The InstaTV dude replied that he's working on a tvOS port so (at least theoretically) HDHR on tvOS is coming.

Thought I didn't buy the one that transcodes to h264 on the fly, hopefully that doesn't gently caress me over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Swell. I'm full of optimism about this new ATV. Feels like it's going to open up a lot of doors.

edit: Oh wait you know why I thought it was discontinued? Because I thought Elgato owned it and theirs is DC'd. I guess they just licensed it from silicondust? Either way, I'm glad I snagged one too.

Mahoning posted:

My order status changed to preparing for shipment. I didn't pay for overnight.

Here's what's going to happen, because it's what always happens.

It'll get shipped just in time for me to miss the one delivery attempt on Friday and it'll end up sitting 30 minutes away from my house all weekend just to drive me nuts.

The concierge in my building accepts my packages with a signature, but the last two times the post came with a package he was away from his desk doing his "rounds" :smith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 28, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Xabi posted:

Will Plex help me watch all the juicy (and legal) content I have stored on my computers? Without the delay ufarn is talking about? Or will I have to find some other solution for that kind of behaviour?

The Plex server is responsible for transcoding and muxing the audio and video so I'd expect that those problems could be fixed with a powerful enough server. At any rate, I haven't ever experienced any delays so I always recommend Plex.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Setup is about the easiest thing. Since the 3rd gen AppleTV, you can tap your iPhone 5 or later on your AppleTV unit and it'll transfer all your account settings and wifi passwords.

Wait, what?

What technology does this use?

Somehow I didn't know this was a thing.

e: Oh just BT. I wonder how it knows the tap happened though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh yeah I looked it up, it's iBeacons. I totally forgot that was even a thing. Basically BT LE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If not, the SimPlex app should be.

TBH I kind of want to get mine on Friday and return the one that comes in the mail just because -- if I can then why not. I'd love to have it for the weekend. I'll stop in the Fruit Stand and decide on Friday I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Do we know whether the existing apps/channels are going to be present on the ATV4? I just realized I'm going to throw a shitfit if NHL GameCenter isn't available on day one. I don't really want to run two ATVs in parallel for just that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excellent.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really glad to hear you can return online order to the store. I'll likely pick one up tomorrow then, since mine still shows Preparing for Shipment.

I'm not mad or anything since they even said shipment would be end of the week, but if the option is there to just pick one up and return the other one when I get it then I don't really see a downside.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, the only difference (compared to ATV3) I had in buying at the fruit stand was that it's serialized so I couldn't do the self-checkout.

If anyone wants a free Roku2 just stand underneath my balcony when I unceremoniously punt it from the 5th floor tonight.

I asked the dude at the fruit stand about returning my shipped unit and he told me to call Apple but I'm just going to take it in when I get it and see if someone else will help me. Sounds like returning at the fruit stand should be straightforward and maybe I got the one guy who just wasn't bothering to look into it.

At any rate, returning by post seems pretty easy. Online is giving me an option to print out a return sticker and only reason I don't want to go that route is waiting vs instant money back.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 30, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhh, is there no NHL gamecenter app yet? Lame.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Setup felt really disjointed. Had to hunt for the option to map volume control buttons, disable cec, etc.

Hope this is just a first pass at the ui because I've got some concerns.

Also no voice search in YouTube yet. Reeeeeally hope that gets added soon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Did the YouTube app get downloaded from the store? It's a weird 1st/3rd party app.

Yeah, I had to pull down Youtube.

No NHL is going to be annoying for me though, means I'll have to swap between my 3 and 4.

And the SimPlex video app is just giving me a white screen. Ah the joys of being an early adopter :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

The old nhl app is available in the App Store. I installed it, signed in, and tested it this morning with my single team game center live account and it worked perfectly

Are you guys in the USA or Canadian app store? I'm going to laugh if it's only available in the American one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FFS, NHL app was there in the United States appstore but not the Canadian one. What a loving joke.

I mean I guess I blame this one on the NHL not Apple though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: and I can't sign into the American NHL app with my rogers gamecenter account.

*plugs ATV3 back in*

Guess I'll give them a few days to fix their poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the VLC app live yet? Does it have the option to load a network stream?

Although, :lol: I just realized that with the iOS remote app broken for the time being, the option to load a stream in VLC would mean typing out the whole address, so pretty much useless then.

What, you're not looking forward to typing in a 60 character string using the on-screen ouija board?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, Siri decided to stop listening to me, had to restart the ATV to get her to work again.

Also kind of hoping that they enable tap-to-click on the Siri remote as an option. I do it on my trackpad on every device and clicking the remote feels really unnatural to me. Then again they probably won't because it would likely confuse the gently caress out of most people -- "I tried to move but it clicked instead!!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

My biggest complaint about the new Apple TV is that they don't let Siri talk. Let my girl speak, Tim.

Yeah, I disagree with Apple's "women should be seen and not heard" policy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone else having issues signing into YouTube on ATV4?

I launch the app, the home screen isn't personalized for my account so I sign in using the settings. Head to youtube.com/activate and plug in the code while logged into my account, but then the device doesn't seem to make any changes. The "My Subscriptions" page still says "Sign in for your subscriptions", the "My channel" page is blank. If I click the sign in link again the app hangs. If I force-quit the app it looks like it's unlinked again since the sign in link works again, but signing in doesn't seem to work no matter how many times I try this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rogers NHL made an unceremonious appearance in the Canadian app store, in case anyone is unlucky enough to have thought buying a Rogers GCL subscription was a good idea, like me.

Works well, at least. It's literally just the ATV3 app so I wasn't expecting anything flashy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What's funny is that it's inconsistent - when their terms & conditions popped up, it used natural scrolling. Everywhere else has been flipped.

:iiam:

Yeah I feel like I've noticed so many different instances of natural and unnatural scrolling, sometimes even in the same app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK if we're going to play this game:

• App Store categorization / revamp
  • Sonos App
  • HomeKit integration
  • Plex App (in approvals right now)
  • Better keyboard
  • iOS Remote app compatibility
  • Removal of "must be playable on siri remote" mandate for tvOS games
  • Siri YouTube search
  • Ability to exclude media sources from Siri search (I don't care if iTunes store has it for purchase, I'm likely not going to buy it)
  • iOS remote touchID integration for purchasing
  • Ability to EASILY switch GameCenter users
  • Siri remoting (using iPhone Siri to control tvOS)
  • Selective CEC (detect if another input is active, don't turn off TV when sleeping tvOS if that's the case) -- not sure if this is possible

To be honest I feel like 90% of my non-app requests are "must fix" items, or "no brainer" items that they could fix easily. Siri remoting and selective CEC would be the only ones that are iffy. Any App specific wishes I'm not really worried about since it's likely that SOMEONE will put something together, even if I have to sideload it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

• suck my dick

Taking tactile feedback to the next level.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wellll, yeah that's true, but that's why it's my WISH list ;)

I'm really optimistic about the future. I'd go so far as to say that on day one I was really displeased with ATV4 but now that I have NHL I'm happier, and once Plex comes out of approvals I'll finally be able to punt my Roku.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's no webView in the tvOS SDK (IIRC) so it may be difficult, but I wouldn't put it past someone to make a hockeystreams client for sideloading.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Creature posted:

Apparently the Plex app has been approved. Very interested to see how it compares to Simplex.

Well seeing as how Simplex doesn't work with my network setup I hope it compares favourably :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plex in the App Store now. If you don't see it, try restarting your ATV (Settings -> Restart)

edit: poo poo works well, right out of the box. So good. ROKU GTFO.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lookit all the people excited not to have to use a lovely hack anymore

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm running it on a slightly higher end machine (Dell R620) but it handles literally everything I've thrown at it.

I just now installed a plugin channel for my HDHomeRun so I can watch OTA ATSC on my AppleTV via plex.

The future (well, 2010) is here

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Feenix posted:

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

That's right correct. All it does is stream the MPEG2 OTA feed (or transcode it, depending on which you buy) to your network devices.

That said, anecdotally speaking I've been able to get better reception much more consistently with my HDHR than the ATSC tuner in my TV. I'm not going to pretend to be able to explain it. Could be any number of things and OTA is really finicky in my area so I'm just happy it worked after shelling out for the HDHR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tonic posted:

Got my Apple TV yesterday, loving it so far. So nice to have a legit Plex app and Airplay available on the same device.

One question: is there a way to change the quality of the streams in Plex? I have my Plex Media Server on a remote gigabit connection and since it's not local I'd like to be able to alter the quality settings on the transcode.

I don't think there's any avenue for the client to request a certain bitrate. You can set remote transcode bitrate on the server end (plex.tv/web -> settings) so that may be something you want to look at increasing or decreasing, depending on what you're trying to do.

Perplx posted:

Some video are more compatible than others. Increasing the bandwidth setting to unlimited fixed some files for me, but mp4 works best though it shows the thumbnail while you scroll

Thumbnails are generated by the server on a schedule; Theoretically all items should have thumbnails unless you disable thumbnail generation on the server. I disabled it because it eats a lot of space (My plex server is a 40gb linux machine, all the actual media is stored on a NAS NFS share).

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 4, 2015