Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, it’s still pretty limited but you can launch apps now. Luckily the PBS Kids app launches into the live stream. There are more actions now (switch users, start screen saver, fast forward/rewind content, etc) but you can’t do anything with content (like play a specific movie or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Everything is weird, not sure if it’s a chip/COVID/China thing. The intro videos for the new computers released a few days ago had metadata and file name text that suggested everything was supposed to be released last October. All of their release dates have been weird the last year.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I've been running an AppleTV HD since they were released because hey it still works. But I finally got sick and tired of everything taking 5-10 seconds to load when my toddler wants to watch Bing Bunny or Bluey. Open Disney+ wait five seconds. Pick an account wait five seconds. Pick a show and it buffers for five seconds. That poo poo adds up when you've got a screaming toddler. Got one of the new AppleTV 4K models and holy poo poo everything is instant and it's fantastic. I love it.

And the remote! Much better than I expected and I expected it to be a big improvement. The *idea* of the Siri Remote was amazing. Voice control and multi-touch on a symmetrically perfect remote nearly the thickness of a credit card was an amazing design exercise. loving amazing. But the new remote is actually useful in real world use.

I actually feel kind of insulted by the previous remote in retrospect because it ignores the famous Apple mantra of "design is how it works." Even as someone who respects the design and almost never had issues with picking it up upside down I still think it represents a relatively dark period of Apple. One port computers, butterfly keyboards, iOS 7, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, Bluetooth on my remote quit working when I mounted my AppleTV on the back of the tv. I mounted it to the exact same spot but two inches over on the wall and it works fine. I guess the metal in the tv was blocking the signal just enough.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anybody use HomePod Mini's as the speaker for their AppleTV? I'm having issues where audio drops out seemingly randomly in a basically every app. Plex, YouTube Kids, Amazon Prime, etc. For example, about every 30 seconds while watching Ghostbusters the audio will disappear. Raising/lowering, muting/unmuting, etc. doesn't fix it. If I stop playback and restart it works for another 30 seconds or so.

It's happening on two different AppleTV 4K models (each with a different HomePod mini connected to it) on different TVs. One ATV is connected via WiFi and the other is connected via ethernet. Every piece of hardware is updated to their latest OS. I've tried rebooting, swapping HomePod mini's to the other ATV, etc. It also happened on tvOS16.

Since each TV uses its own HDMI cable I don't think it's that. Is it just a bug? But it's happening in every video app I use so I can't just blame Plex or whatever.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I tried deleting and reloading apps and that didn't fix it.

But if I enable the "use old audio processor" in Plex then it appears to fix the problem. I'm about a quarter through Ghostbusters with no problems.

I think I've also had less (maybe none) issues with the Max app. Isn't that supposed to be a custom lovely video player that people hate?

I'm wondering if apps that use the default Apple AV player crap out but apps that use their own custom player work fine? Was the old Plex audio processor custom and the new one more Apple? A bug in the Apple frameworks would explain why I'm seeing the problem in a bunch of apps but not all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

eightysixed posted:

It was fun when Steve would come out and say “This is what you can do with iPad.”

This is iPhone. Look what I can do with iPhone.

Oh wait I forgot AppleTV. You can stream stuff using AppleTV. Where can I buy AppleTV?

That used to bug me so much.

I love how the YouTube Kids app doesn't have a "restart video" button or menu option anywhere. I love pressing back 150 times to rewind the same Handyman Hal video so my kid can watch it for the 200th time.