Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you don't like playing games on your TV then yeah there's no benefit. I find stuff like fighting games and GTA to be a lot more fun on the couch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There's this bit from Ars, so maybe?

quote:

While Valve said the app will include support for the Steam Controller, MFi-certified iOS controllers, "and more," it's unclear whether more generic USB/bluetooth controllers and/or mouse/keyboard setups will be usable via the mobile app (Update: A Valve representative tells Ars that keyboard/mouse controls will be supported, with a fuller list of compatible controllers available before launch).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can try updating the controller firmware if you haven't already.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

*using my 2015 MacBook Pro and it's kinda slow sometimes*

drat they really need to come out with a faster MacBook!

If the last Macbook they came out with was in 2017 and they hadn't dropped the price at all, that comparison would make more sense.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with wanting Apple to release something newer, especially if you want to play games on it. Telling someone to just buy the slightly less old one is silly when it's still a lot slower than the phone they were already playing it on.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

It serves a video stream to your TV.

I think some people were hoping it would be part of a larger push along with Apple Arcade for better games

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The A12 and M1 aren't all that different in the first case. The developer Apple-based Minis ran an A12z. The M1 is just on a newer fabrication process and is 50% larger in die volume. Apple won't put a bigger chip in the ATV because that would eat into their margins and they like making lots of money.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have an LG BX OLED

I'm doing some googling. It looks like all ports are HDMI 2.1, but only two are high bandwith (120hz?). Will it matter which I use?

It looks like the new ATV doesn't yet support 120hz, but probably will with an update, so I'd use one of the 120hz connections on the off chance that some sports streaming eventually happens at 120fps https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/20/new-apple-tv-4k-has-hdmi-2-1-but-120hz-support-isnt-available-yet/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

priznat posted:

drat costco.ca just has the old ATVs, I would definitely order from there and get some cash back with my ~executive~ membership (oo la la)

U.S. costco also only has the old ones now. I guess they sold their allotment of them thanks to the :10bux: off

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

japtor posted:

Power button isn't terribly useful, same as pressing whatever button to turn everything on, saves a click on turning off. It'd be more useful if it was programmable for non CEC setups..

Yeah, I was hoping it would do that at first. I did get the idea to program the mute button to my non-CEC receiver's power button. It's an extra button press, but at least it's still all on one remote.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Apple's documentation on it is lacking, but I believe it's 4 MFi controllers, or 2 PS/Xbox controllers. If you have anything else paired like airpods, the controller limit goes down to one. Have you already tried power cycling the Apple TV and re-pairing the controllers?

Inept fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 6, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Probably, but likely not until the next big OS release https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-4k-120hz-thread-033604038.html

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, I have the mute button programmed to turn my old, non-HDMI receiver on and off.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

try a different hdmi cable

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

maybe, but trying a different cable is really easy

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Not really. It supports pairing Switch controllers now, which is nice.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'd imagine even if the A15 eventually throttles while playing a game, it will still be higher performance than an A12 with a fan.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

phosdex posted:

How come Apple or really nobody besides Nvidia, talks about their upscaling in their streaming device? Looking at the ATV page, nowhere does it even mention upscaling. Is this because everybody is doing it in software and using the same package?

afaik nvidia's AI upscaling is mostly a hit or miss sharpening filter that sometimes looks a bit better but sometimes (especially in darker scenes) introduces noise or other artifacts. It's marketing buzz.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You could AirPlay ? Especially with an iPad it works super well last I checked.

I can see some use cases for it, like if you're looking at houses on Zillow and you both want to be able to take turns looking things up using a phone/remote/etc. without having to pass an ipad back and forth

I agree that they should have Safari. It would make a lot of things easier.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Did you try resetting the remote? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213437

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

IUG posted:

I just found out in some thread that Steam Link is a thing on the Apple TV. How is it? Last time I tried SL it was rear end, but that was like when it first came out. I’m hoping to hide the ATX gaming PC in the basement (on the network switch) so I don’t have to have it tucked behind the TV stand anymore. If it’s any good, how does it work with keyboard/mouse games?

Steam Link is good. You still need an Ethernet connection or a good wifi connection.