Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Is there a way to address the annoying misfeature that when some content (e.g., a TV show) is available from several sources, the Apple TV forces the second and all subsequent episodes from another source I didn't select?

What I mean is: Say I have bought all seasons of some show on iTunes. I start at the first episode, which plays from iTunes and wait for the second one to come on. Second episode is then streamed from HBO (or whatever) without asking me, but I want to watch all episodes from iTunes without having to stop and select iTunes again. (iTunes and HBO are just examples, it's also happening with different sources.)

I did read the first post of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you talking from within the TV app? If so, stop using that garbage app. I finally gave up on it.

I just watch TV shows from within the TV Show App, Movies from the Movie app, and so on.

The TV app may have been involved, but I seem to remember that it also happened after I started a show in one app and then let the next episode come on without interrupting. I'll see if I can reproduce that. Anyway thanks, I'll try if it works better without the TV app.

It's weird to me anyway that the greatest challenge to most of these apps is to keep state between sessions so shows can be resumed exactly where I left them off and not 10 minutes back or without CC etc.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I have had none of those problems. I'm sorry that doesn't help you much, but I've never had an issue with random CC or not remembering my place in shows.

The main apps I use are TV Shows.app, Movies.app, Prime Video, Netflix and Infuse (for movies on my NAS). I use Channels for OTA and PSVue for streaming channels.

Well it all depends on the individual apps. HBO GO is unable to remember that subtitles were on, for example, and seems to only save the position in a show or movie every ten minutes or so. Come to think of it, the Amazon Prime app is about the most perfect for me. It remembers everything.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

As you said, it consolidated your libraries so iTunes should show the same as the other platforms regardless of who you bought it from.

Some studios don't participate, so you're not going to have the same library everywhere unless you don't have any movies from Paramount, MGM/UA and a few others.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That is, if you’re not me and others who signed up in day one where iTunes doesn’t show any sign of being binded to the service but MA refuses to believes this.

I don't know what that sentence is supposed to mean, but it works as advertised for me.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get that Movies Anywhere made it easy to consolidate your films across platforms, but can anyone explain how exactly I can now watch all my Amazon and Vudu movies in the TV app on my iPad? Is that because I have an Apple TV with everything linked or would this be possible without the Apple TV?

It has nothing to do with any hardware or software, it only links libraries. The TV app is only an interface that links to other apps, such as iTunes Movies.

Krispy Wafer posted:

And like my Mad Max Fury Road, purchased with a resold digital code for Vudu, has no extras when I watch it in the Vudu app, but if I watch it via iTunes I get the Black & Chrome edition options.

Movies Anywhere can't make Vudu not suck, or more politely phrased: You still get the extras and interface that each individual service chooses to give you.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

My movies that were upgraded to 4K are still all 4K. Doesn't matter whether I got them through Blu-ray codes via iTunes, Movies Anywhere or VUDU barcode scanning.

Besides the fact that they only show up as 4K on devices that can actually play 4K, I've also been through some back and forth with this on the Apple TV. A few months ago, all 4K upgrades were gone for a day or so, only to be back the following day. I've also had a third or so of my movies (and all my TV shows) disappear, only to have them reinstated the next day.

All that is to say that while I think it's possible that they're going to remove a lot of 4K upgrades, it's also possible that it's just one of their frequent hiccups.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Is there any reason that my wife’s Netflix profile would have been parental controls set to like, maximum? She can watch Mama Mia! (for example) on her phone but it won’t play on our ATV. She’s even the dang account owner for our Netflix.

Under His eye.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Thanks for this incredibly helpful response, it has solved all of my my problems and even brought me to orgasm.

Only Apple can delete movies from the iTunes Store.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This is what I'm doing rn

Cool. Non-funny-reply: I have some movies that I got from digital copies in 2010 or so that showed up twice. You'll need to go to your account and look for your purchased movies to hide purchases. Did Google give you no results for this?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

phosdex posted:

Looks like my ATV 4k is dead. Light just blinks and my tv isn't receiving any input at all from it. Gonna schedule an appt with the apple store.

:agreed:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Yes, and no more forced Fucker Carlson mug anymore when scrolling down in the TV app! Yay!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

https://imgur.com/vJig009

Explanation: Before iOS 12.3, if you scrolled down a little bit, the TV app showed a row of news outlets including Fox News, with pictures of news anchors and the like. Fucker Carlson was one of them. There was no way to get rid of this. I'm sure what exactly was country-specific, so you wouldn't have seen him outside the US.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I will take everyone's word that Steamlink works for them, but I think it's a real kludge and typical clunky Windows software.

1. Downloaded it and set it up on an iPad. Trying to run it, it tells me I have run Steam somewhere, fair enough.
2. Started up Steam on a Mac.
3. Tried to run Steamlink. Tells me I need to install a driver for a Gamepad on the Mac.
4. Set this up in Steam.
5. Tried to run Steamlink. Tells me I need to install an audio driver on the Mac.
6. Set this up in Steam.
7. Tried to run Steamlink. Steam interface comes up on the iPad. I select Half-Life 2. Lo and behold, my iPad continues to show me part of the display Steam runs on. The game never shows up. The end.

Nicely done, very interesting. Maybe it's having an issue with me having more than one display, since only trillionaires have this or something. I don't care to investigate all possible angles.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I wasn't aware Steam Link worked with anything other than Windows Steam.

The Linux client has some options that look like server-related, but the description at the top says, "Stream games from your Windows PC".

The iOS version says "...from your computer".

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah I built a windows gaming box specifically to stream to the actual Steam Link device a couple years ago specifically to play games on my TV.

I don’t think streaming is ready for prime time on the Mac or Linux.

Yeah great, how stupid of me to think that Valve, a multi-billion-dollar company, would be able to either properly debug their software or clearly state that it's an over-the-weekend alpha. Particularly since it came out a year later than intended and it would have given them time to polish it.

If you can only make it work well on Windows, then don't pretend otherwise.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I have never been able to use Linux as a host for some reason, so I don't know. The Steam beta actually removed the In-Home Streaming panel entirely. Doesn't matter, I just assume either it's unsupported or there's Linux Bullshit between me and mobile joy.

I don't know what to tell you. If I had to guess, your partial screenshot is from Windows. In that case it makes sense that they don't mention other platforms, even if those can stream, since it's irrelevant.

The description on the App Store page clearly states "Computer running Steam - Windows, Mac or Linux" under "Requirements". In any event, I may try to set this up again when I get more time, but it's not very promising.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Given Netflix's "success" of losing a lot of subscribers, I'm hoping against hope that they'll integrate their terrible App with the AppleTV app. I'm personally mostly shunning Netflix and would love to cancel their asses, but other household members are still interested.

Reasons I hate the Netflix app:

- Not integrated with TV app
- Forced previews, often with elevator muzak not from the movie/show
- The loud "Bubumm" on startup
- Butchering of some content
- Does not reliably remember position in the show/movie

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

CEC has been working 100% from day one with my Sony TV and my Yamaha receiver and my Apple TV as well as all the Switch and the PS4. (The Xbox One doesn’t seem to support it, so that’s not a bug.)

Maybe some companies really have a better level of support or I’m super lucky.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

FiftyFour posted:

My girlfriend refuses to switch from her android phone, we have an AppleTVHD at home, can anyone recommend a casting app that works?

This one looks pretty good: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/backstage-casting/id1215380527

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

lol no

Disclaimer: I don't get AppleCare on anything.

I'm the exact opposite. It's gotten me peace of mind and a lot of free Mac upgrades, iPads and other hardware (batteries) etc. over the years.

I can see the points for both policies, particularly with the Apple TV because those aren't known for breaking too often, don't have batteries, accidental damage is unlikely and you're probably unlikely to touch it very often.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

njsykora posted:

Presumably where something breaks late in the AC period and instead of a repair you get the current model as a replacement. I remember that happening with iPods a lot.

Exactly that, with Macs.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Interesting - I’m guessing that’s more likely to happen if you buy the baseline/stock models?

No, I don't buy those. I always buy everything CTO.

They replaced my 2016 15" MBP with a 2017 one that had the same CPU frequency (2.9 GHz), which was top of the line on the 2016, but mid-level on the 2017.

It looks to me like they keep a large variety of CTO configurations ready for replacements after the initial onslaught of orders for a new model. I've also had at least 3 immediate "here ya go" replacements of maxed out iPads (regular, Air and Pro) at my Apple Store.

I also need to add that they only offered the MBP replacements after they couldn't fix the original ones over 3 weeks or so, even after several logic board replacements. The 2011 17" MBPs all had overheating GPUs and at least 2016 15" one couldn't deal with two 5k UltraFine displays after about 18 months. Apple was unable to test this config because for some reason none of their repair centers had two of those displays. Some higher up probably just said gently caress it and gave me the new one to cut the losses.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

japtor posted:

I feel lucky with the CEC lottery cause I have a Sony TV and Yamaha receiver that already played nice with the old remote. Receiver can take its time to start up after the others, but haven’t run into the power or input chaos you have.

Is this CEC thing really still such a problem across the board, or is it at this point just limited to a few lovely brands and old equipment and otherwise a "conventional wisdom" talking point from 2012 that 60-year old "multipliers" can't shut up about?

I have never had any CEC problems with Sony and LG TVs, Yamaha receivers and the major consoles.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Thwomp posted:

It’s a standard that’s entirely up to the manufacturers to implement (or at least once upon a time was).

In the older days (from which a lot of consumers still have equipment dating to), it was implemented either partially or ineptly. Not all the time, but enough to cause a problem with just one piece of a home setup to cause an issue.

And it really only “works” when every piece works.

Not seeing where you're refuting anything I've written. It's a problem with older/lovely equipment, right.

I'm just wondering if it would still be a problem in 2021 if someone buys everything new and from somewhat decent brands.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I have a new ATV, a 2019 Sony X900F TV, and a Sonos Beam via ARC. CEC will turn everything on ok, but when I turn the ATV off, it just changes the TV input over to my inactive Switch. It’s super dumb and annoying.

There are some things that I need to do in a certain order for them to work perfectly, and I've set it up so turning off one thing doesn't turn off all others (e.g. if I turn off the Xbox, I don't want that to turn off the TV because I might want to play on the Switch).

I think there are three levels of service: 1. Works perfectly as I would like in any situation, 2. Works predictably in a way that allows me to do what I want, 3. Works erratically or not at all.

From reading all kinds of posts here, it seems that 3 is the consensus when personally, I've only experienced level 2, which is about what I think is reasonable to be expected. Some computer or other appliance setups also need some things to be switched on in a certain order.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

- Swiping down to access video options is too precise. You need to swipe from the top of the circle down to open the menu. Starting from the center circle going down doesn't work. This is annoying because on the first Siri remote, you could make a down-swipe anywhere on the touchpad and it would activate
[…]
Overall, I'd have preferred it if they just kept the original design, made it thicker, and added a click-border around the touchpad like the outer ring of the new remote

I use the down button on the ring to bring up the options. Also, the new remote is more like the original design.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Spatial audio is pretty spatial. :toot:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

When it says “press (the home button) to connect to my AirPods”, is that supposed to be a shortcut, or just a reminder of the easier way to connect them?

Shortcut. If you push home, it connects immediately. No need to hold down home.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Space Racist posted:

How long is the power cord in the box?

Until you take it out.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Had a kid just shatter the glass (??) on my old ATV 1080p (HD?)

The Gillman posted:

I think they remedy hold the old remote is to find a seal older Apple TV for sale

They need to do way instain remote. And people here make light of the writing style of "How is babby formed". The question was missing the word "remote" in the beginning (okay, can happen to me too), but that reply :psyduck:.

Also, honestly, instead of posting all the (??), I'd google first for a few seconds.

You can identify the remote your TV uses here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205329

Apple doesn't sell the black one anymore, but the two others. The black one is being sold by many online shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Old tv remote had a farm, eeieeioo.

I just grabbed it in a way that I would feel the Lightning 🌩 port. Plus the Apple logo orientation on the back helps, particularly when putting it face down. Caught it wrong maybe twice overall because I was in a hurry. It was poo poo, but manageable poo poo.

After dinner, my husband and I sat down in the living room to watch some TV. We were about to turn on the old Apple TV remote when I noticed that it was in the wrong orientation. I reached for it, but my husband grabbed it first. "I can do it," he said. I turned to watch TV, but I could only see his hand in the corner of my eye.

Old Apple TV remote sat on the coffee table, forgotten. It was just a simple remote, with no fancy features, but it was the only way to control the old television. Someone had thrown it across the room, and now it was in the wrong orientation. It was time to get a new one.

The old Apple TV remote was dusty and crusty, but it still worked. I plugged it into the TV and tried to turn it on, but the screen just stayed black. I remembered that the old Apple TV always worked best if you turned it the wrong way; the black screen meant that the TV was in portrait mode, not landscape. I turned the TV around and hit the power button. The old TV beeped once and then turned on, displaying the familiar blue screen and the words "Apple TV."

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2022