Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I got that message when I woke mine from sleep using the remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Today I found out that if you want Netflix to output Dolby Digital instead of PCM you have to select Dolby surround in audio/video settings. I had it on auto and it wasn't sending out Dolby Digital.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The new model has faster hardware, the Siri remote and an App Store. Does any of that sound worth spending at least $150 really depends on you. Also since it now has an App Store the interfaces you're used to may be different for apps. I personally liked the ATV3 Netflix app. The new one has the Netflix interface everything else has which isn't as efficient to me. To me the upgraded hardware made it worthwhile. Streams start up quicker and scrubbing through videos is way faster now.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have the same tv. The tv apps are usable. If you watch anime there's no crunchy roll app on the tv as far as I know. I don't think there's an official Kodi app from the App Store. There's plex. I prefer the Apple TV because I feel like it's more likely to get bug fixes and updates quicker than tv apps (save maybe android tv on Sonys). Also stuff like Netflix and amazon run noticeably better on the Apple TV. The difference between 32 and 64 is $20 so I don't think there's much reason to get the 32.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
It has options to match framerate and dynamic range of source content now. The 1080 videos I've watched look fine on my 4k tv.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

That was supposed to require app updates to support it. Did apps update?

Oh, sorry. I was unaware it needed to be added by individual apps. I thought it was more of system level thing where it just sent out whatever video it was getting from the streaming service. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that Netflix, Amazon added it but then they don't really have useful release notes for their updates.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I checked yesterday and have it. I have my Apple TV connected to a receiver and that connected to TV as well.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
As others have said you don't have to run two networks. If you need to keep the Verizon router around to provide internet to the cable boxes then turn off the wireless radios on the Verizon router and use your Google mesh for wireless. You may have to put it in wireless access point mode or something like that so it's not double routing. I use a second router for wireless in my home for this reason and the wireless on the Verizon router wasn't working that well for me.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
TvOS 13 added that. It's like control center. Also it's just hold tv button to bring it up.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I think ATV has subtitle options in the accessibility settings.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Dickinson is ok. I keep forgetting Servant was released. One thing I noticed is that streaming quality is way better than Netflix or amazon.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I turned it on and seems hit or miss. When I start the app the spotlight video doesn't auto play. Scrolling through some stuff still auto plays.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, I’ve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?

I've had this happen randomly after an update.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
My order says preparing to ship but I got an email for my order so guess it's coming tomorrow.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
YouTube is crappy but Amazon prime video deserves some kind of award for how poo poo it is.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Chiming in with get the new one. Between new remote and time span between hardware revisions as others have mentioned you may as well get the latest model.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

I think it's Amazon Prime that has issues playing videos you select from the TV app too.

It's a good idea in general, just has some longstanding bugs that make me reluctant to use it. It only gets used to find Apple content.

The prime app has always been buggy in my experience.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I have mine to output 4K SDR. Then you enable match dynamic range and it will switch to Dolby vision and HDR when the content supports it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
The buttons on my harmony are starting to act up. They don't register presses sometimes. I have been looking at these. I assume they work like old school universal remotes in that you have to select what you want to control one at a time instead of harmony's activity based controls that let you control volume on a receiver but other buttons work with the Apple TV for instance?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks. Once my harmony breaks down I'll end up trying out the Sofabaton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I never understood why the Apple TV doesn't have that option. They added stuff like match range and frame rate. You'd think they would add bitstream output but nope.