Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Endless Mike posted:

No idea. You won't need it once iOS 11 hits, anyway.

I've not looked into iOS 11 much, but why wouldn't you need the remote app with it?

Edit: Google it duh. So it is going to be built in the control center.

Edit 2: I am debating if I should get up at 3am and order the AppleTV 4K (something I haven't done since the iPhone 5), or just ordering it at 7am when I actually get up. I am sick of the FireTV in my bedroom, and I want to put my current AppleTV 4th gen up there (but I need this first).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I decided to sleep in, but I woke up at 0255 (with no alarm) and used my phone to order the 64GB version. Not sure why I needed the 64GB, but I fell for the 'its only $20 more'. I see now it is up to 2-3 weeks shipping. I am glad people are buying it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 15, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

badjohny posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/21/itunes-4k-content-streaming-only/

Confirmed my fear. Going to suck for people with data caps or slow connections. Or who have multiple people in their house who use the computer at the same time.

Man I got a 1tb cap with Comcast at 150mbps down. Since I steam everything (I have PS Vue instead of cable) I've hit that cap several times already this summer (4K TV with 4K apps plus kids with PS4s). Some company called WOW just laid last week 1gb down lines in my subdivision with no data cap (plus cheaper than Comcast). This makes me tempted to give them a try.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hope my next post is not from home, since I just pulled up page 55 on my work computer. Jesus that was a shock.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
[quote="“1997”" post="“476995406”"]
I use an aTV 4K with my KS8000 and other than the menus being dim, everything is great. 4K HDR iTunes movies look great. Netflix looks great. Haven’t really watched 1080p yet though.
[/quote]

Just curious what settings you are using for your KS8000? I just haven't been blown away by 4K HDR yet. The jump from 1080p just doesn't feel like the big of a jump. Maybe it's just me, and I haven't found the right settings yet. Please any advice is welcomed (I have 55 inch version).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jokes posted:

If you hated the remote like I did:

https://www.amazon.com/Sideclick-Universal-Attachment-Streaming-Players/dp/B01N3PL81R

This poo poo changed the game in my house. We used to have to have multiple remotes for various things, now we only need one. I got it a year ago or so, still works without changing battery-- not a single complaint.

It also gives the remote a little bit more heft so you don't feel like you're slinging around a baseball card. But most importantly, it attaches to a single side which means when you pick up the ATV remote you never have to flip it around because you picked it up upside down which was ANNOYING.

I tried this last year, and for some reason (which I can't remember, but maybe the TV doesn't use IR?) I couldn't get this to work with my TV. So double check if you have a newer TV.

The Samsung smart remote that comes with the TV does control AppleTV. Still I don't use it, because it gets confused (or I do) if the button I am pushing is for the TV or AppleTV. Also the AppleTV remote does work great with my TV. The receiver and TV both come on when I hit any button to wake the AppleTV. The only real bitch is when I am on another input and I dumbly use the AppleTV remote to change the volume, which causes the input to switch back to AppleTV.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 22, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Lately both of my AppleTVs (a 3 and 4K) have started to become buggy. Everything from the remote not working correctly at certain times to apps freezing. Even my kids have came to me complaining about issues with the 4K one. Both of these I got on launch, and up until a few months ago they worked fine. Has anyone experienced any weird behaviors on theirs? What would be the first step in troubleshooting these? Doing a factory reset is all I can think of? Just weird both of boxes are having issues.

I'm so frustrated after loving the AppleTV for almost 10 years now, I have gotten an Amazon Cube just to test (it was on sale for like $70 last week) in my bedroom. Given the Alexa support (I can cut the TV on and off from any Alexa device, change inputs back and forth with voice, search for shows not only the apps on the Cube but on the cable box) it is tempting to convert (still not the biggest fan of the UI). The next AppleTV better have Siri always on support like Alexa enabled devices do. Also it would be nice if they would allow the AppleTV be controlled by Alexa devices. I know never going to happen, but I thought Apple Music on Alexa devices never would happen, but it did.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gay Retard posted:

I've jumped between DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and YouTube TV, and here's what I like most about YouTube TV:

I also found YouTube with PS Vue right behind it to be the best. That said I found the streaming cable subs to be about as bad/useless as cable (honestly the best thing about them is no contract).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dicty Brojangles posted:

I'm not seeing any underwater screen saver... only arial and photos. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Apple 4K only.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just assume that was 4K only given it didn't show up on my bedroom AppleTV which is non-4K. Also there was this description (I guess read too much into it): Apple is expanding the stunning collection of 4K HDR screen savers available on Apple TV 4K by taking viewers under the sea.

That said since everything else shows up on both my 4K and non-4K AppleTVs that makes no sense. I will check my 4K for it when I get home (I started that update on my way to bed last night). I have a feeling we are going to have to change the download to daily for screensavers to get it?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Thwomp posted:

Add an always-on mic so it can also act as a speaker-less HomePod.

After using Amazon’s Cube this summer, the only real advantage it had over AppleTV was the Alexa voice control. While menu navigation will always be a bitch with voice controls, I really like telling Alexa to turn TV on/off, switch inputs, or change channels on my TV. If they don’t have true Siri integration in the next AppleTV it will be a mistake.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Gillman posted:

The magic dance for my Samsung is to unplug it and all the other devices from power for 15 minutes. Then in after the device has been powered on, plug it into the turned on TV

This always works on my Samsung, especially when the HDMI arc stops working on the sound system (which is also Samsung).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I wish the iPad had a version of user sign ons. It is a pain you can’t share an iPad acrosss different Apple ids

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had Hulu but not ESPN and signed up for the bundle. How do I watch ESPN? My email won’t log me into ESPN.

Just to be sure you know is ESPN+, not regular ESPN. You still need a TV subscription to watch true ESPN.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I must have my AppleTV setup wrong or something, because streaming in 4K on the Series X is such an improvement over it. Not to blame the box, it is probably some setup I screwed up. That said given that the AppleTV app is now on the Series X and it has a good remote, I’m going to stop using my AppleTV (I’ve been using one for 10 years since the series 2 was released) for time being. I am sure when the next version comes out I will be buying it no matter what.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After many years ATV is not my main driver anymore (it has been moved to my bedroom) since I got the LG CX with its Wiimote like smart remote (I am shocked how well it works) for my main TV. This might be first version I don’t buy, but I hope they give me a reason to buy it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I don't understand why that isn't built into AppleTV. Even the Fire TV Cube has Alexa built in which allows you to turn the TV on and off. Hell you can even change inputs with the Cube via Alexa. That said the rest of the interface is trash, so never buy a Cube, but come on Apple...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jokes posted:

ATV has Siri commands via the remote and the remote app, actually.

But it’s rarely more convenient than just using the remote(s).

I know that. It is just stupid you can’t go ‘Hey Siri’ and have it work. Instead you have to find the remote or your phone which by that time it is useless.

Edit: to be clear that is how the Cube works. You just ‘Alexa turn on TV’ it does or ‘Alexa go to Netflix’ it does. No remote or phone or even an Echo device is needed.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 20, 2021