Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's weird that Siri search includes Hulu even if you don't have that app installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skip forward isn't working for me at all. If I press on the right edge of the pad. It shows the icon, but doesn't do anything else. Skip back works fine. This is on both iTunes home sharing and stuff streamed from Apple. Annoying!

I do much prefer the skipping to trying to scrub using the pad though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

With iTunes Home Sharing, on the TV page, on the By Date screen, is it new that the TV series name isn't shown? Very odd, but maybe it was always that way?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

Skip forward isn't working for me at all. If I press on the right edge of the pad. It shows the icon, but doesn't do anything else. Skip back works fine. This is on both iTunes home sharing and stuff streamed from Apple. Annoying!

I figured this out. If you press the button too far to the right (like right on the edge), then it doesn't skip. Even though tapping in the same place shows the skip forward hint icon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My YouTube app won't play two videos in a row. Like in a playlist and such. And even if the first one is an ad. So I have to skip the ads to see anything. Fun!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

(But the Awful app will post two comments in a row.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have all my video files in iTunes with good tagging. Is Plex worth trying if I currently use iTunes home sharing?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Plex mini-review (vs using iTunes Home Sharing):

Very easy to set-up the server on my Mac.
Apple TV app is free, surprising since it's $5 on other platforms.
Doesn't show you thumbnails as you scrub.
TV show features are much better, more like Netflix with offering to show you the next episode.
Doesn't require the transcoding to h264/MP4 step.

Plus it has the standard Plex features like working outside the house and from cheap Android tablets. And accessing your library from an iPhone doesn't require a five minute loading step like the built-in Videos app.

So I'm going to stick with it for now. I think I'll still do the transcoding, because iTunes formatted files with metadata are pretty nice to deal with if you have Macs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Isn't this because they have like 5 different CSI shows? CSI is for elderly people.

Big Bang Theory is their biggest. It's pretty much second only to Walking Dead. (Using 18-49 ratings because total viewers doesn't matter.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No Bravo app, eh? Kind of annoying when one of their shows, Top Chef, has an online component.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish the YouTube app would have something meaningful in the banner area if you put it in your top row. It just has a big graphic now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Probably been mentioned before but seriously, 10/100 Ethernet? I was using that and thought local streaming was going slow, sure enough, saw it wasn't gigabit. Switched to wireless (with a nice new router) and I get like 600 mbps. It made a huge difference in buffering times when using Infuse for local 1080p files.

100 mbps ethernet should really be fine for 1080p video, unless you want the whole thing to be cached in memory.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I find Siri so frustrating on the Apple TV, which really surprises me. Like, here's a typical interaction:

Me: Play Key and Peele
Siri: I can't play your music.
Me: Show Key and Peele
Siri: Here's a list of popular movies. (I don't even understand where this one is going wrong.)
Me: (Ugh)

Maybe "Watch" would work?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My trick is to start watching a vid on my phone, the pull it up later on the Apple TV in my YouTube watch history. Like Watch Later but easier.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the YouTube app, when it is showing an ad, is there any way to make the ad banner go away? Sometimes it is a movie trailer that I would actually want to see but not with a bar over it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, clearly some apps were not tested using the Remote app to enter text. DailyMotion crashes pretty easily if you type quickly because it is trying to search on every key press and I guess it thinks you wouldn't be typing that fast.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it is pretty sad that I have to search for a channel name to subscribe after it suggests a video.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, Apple is fixing the bugs I reported on Apple TV day 1. So that's good. But they want me to install the beta to test them??? I guess they think only devs use radar.

I don't even think I can install the beta.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I imagine people give even less of a poo poo about rating TV apps than phone apps, and usually the stuff that gets people to give enough of a poo poo is negative.

How do you even rate apps on the TV?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think Apple TV would need its own speaker just to provide feedback. Waiting for speakers/TV/receiver to power on just to ask the weather would be pretty miserable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I'm honestly super curious why they made a new app versus updating the old one.

Seems like the new one has authentication to the Apple TV via a code on the screen?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't think the beta has the single sign on stuff in anyplace visible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

10m gets you pretty far in a townhouse condo with shared walls.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of corporate fights making my life more annoying, I really wish Netflix was in the TV app so that stuff showed up in What's Next. I find that feature surprisingly useful, listing out the next episode of the HBO show we are binging, plus the new episodes of something else that just aired. Makes cord cutting seem even easier.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the YouTube app any better on the 4K Apple TV? I hate it so much. It makes me not want to watch YouTube.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

It has options to match framerate and dynamic range of source content now. The 1080 videos I've watched look fine on my 4k tv.

That was supposed to require app updates to support it. Did apps update?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to see the YouTube trending list in the Apple TV app? The stuff under the Trending tab in the iOS app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It worked on the Netflix my TV has built in. Pretty bad look for Apple TV.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, I deserve the scorn. I was just a wee bit annoyed after getting, “I thought you said we needed the new AppleTV because our TV couldn’t do everything.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So you get the menus and stuff in SDR and it only has to switch if you play HDR content?

Edit: That seems practical although the menus do look great in HDR.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 4, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It can be a real problem though if your room is really bright.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the YouTube app, if I touch the touch pad and bring up the scrubber overlay, is there any way to make it go away other than to wait 20 seconds?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CEC definitely gets hosed on my Apple TV and restarting fixes it. Like I hit the volume button sometimes and it says “volume is not configured” which is a drat lie and super annoying since it pops up a window and makes you close it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The space one with the lightning probably isn’t new but it is awesome.

Is there any point to the Apple Arcade app? Is it just a second App Store?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I appreciate that all of the new services are family plan by default at least.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Music thinks I care about lyrics way more than I do

Edit: it is really cool feature, it just feels like something I should have to select rather than be half the screen.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 18, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any easy way to use Siri to play Apple Music on the Apple TV? It seems like the voice search from the remote button only looks for video content.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone notice that the YouTube app constantly toys with the section titles at the top? Like sometimes I have “trending” but lately that one has been “news” and there is no way to get to trending. I hate A/B testing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone know the difference between English and English CC subtitles on Apple TV+ shows? Seems like same content but different fonts for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New exciting Apple TV glitch: we clicked on the next episode of a Hulu show in Up Next and it showed us the iTunes store page to buy that episode. Guess something got messed up in the database.