Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also if you have a computer hosting an iTunes Home Sharing thing (on ethernet), you'll get better results if your ATV is on ethernet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Also it requires the revised ATV 3

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kinda glad I didn't pick one up today.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

stupid puma posted:

It feels a bit unfinished but I'm sure some major updates will come out soon. Still, a bit surprised they shipped it out like this.

From what you're describing, that's what it sounds like. I wonder if they had to hit some target date like the Apple Watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Did you accidentally go back in time?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, he has an operating system that doesn't exist.

OS Ten 9.0.1

I worked with a sweet old lady who would always call Win7 "System 7"

I never had the heart to correct her

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Update your phone and TV. The new remote app supports ATV4.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That streaming CBS thing is also the home of the new Star Trek TV series. That will definitely get some subscribers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

qirex posted:

I absolutely can not get iTunes home sharing working on my new ATV and I've tried everything short of de-authorizing all my computers, does anyone have any hints or sources to look at? Apples's support forums are an empty echo chamber. It worked without issue on my ATV3.

I need my music!

Every once in a while this happens to me. Here's a few things to try:

-Is iTunes up to date?
-If on a Mac OS computer, is the OS as up to date as possible?
-Turn off Home Sharing on computer and ATV, then turn it back on
-Reboot computer and ATV (pull the plug for a minute)
-Reboot router.

I know you're not computer illiterate, but usually one or a combination of those fixes it for me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How's the state of gaming on these things now? Are there any legit games or does it feel like you're just playing a mobile game on a big screen?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is the 32GB sufficient if I don't plan on gaming? On average how large are the TV apps like ESPN, FOX, Hulu, etc?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's what I figured. Those apps are basically just fancy web pages. Thanks guys!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can you order pizza with Siri? That would be the loving poo poo right there.

"Hey Siri, have a dominos large pepperoni delivered to home"

You could even let the ATV do it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When you go online and can see everything, how are you connecting to their site? Are you at home or at the library? Do you login right to lynda.com or do you go through a portal on your library's website and then go to lynda through there?

The school I work for has a thing for Lynda, but my IP address has to be one of the school's for it to work, so it could be something similar.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I didn't even know they had an Apple TV app. I'll check it out and let you know if I have the same issue. It could be some sort of permissions/authentication thing with your school's account.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

My ATV 3 (and now 4) are wired to my router. Never had any problems with Airplay. From what you're describing your network is just configured all weird from whatever reasons.

edit: Also if you have the ATV3 revision A, it uses a peer to peer connection, bypassing the router.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 28, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah it was really weird that they didn't at least say, "tvOS and macOS come out next week too"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is it their fault or the fault of whoever gives them the stuff?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's about money.

There was no technical reason Amazon video couldn't have been on the ATV 2, 3, or 4.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Over the past few years, Apple has failed to make agreements with content providers so it could launch its own streaming TV service (like Sling or VUE). I think this is why a TV has never been released. Apple likes to control the whole experience. They'd love to have you watching shows off their service on one of their TV's. If they can hammer out some deals and get this service started, then a TV is likely.

They're spending a billion dollars on content next year. I think its because they can't get any of those deals done. No one wants to play ball so they'll just make their own stuff. If any of these prove to be successful, that will get the ball rolling on their own content. I can also see them releasing a TV in this scenario as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The remote looks the same.

I don't have many movies purchased through iTunes, but it's cool they are getting free upgrades. If the pricing is right I could see myself renting more stuff through them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can't wait to see their overpriced sports packages.

I don't think they're selling any sports programming. The sports thing they showed off just hooks in with apps you have setup. Like if you have the MLB app going and mark the Yankees as your favorite, they'll show up on that main screen so you can jump right in and watch the game.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

qirex posted:

If they were available what would you play them back on? You'd need a 4k Apple TV.

iMac.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Most apps are just glorified web pages anyway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I’ve had a 4th Gen AppleTV sitting around unopened for almost a year (I got it free for signing up for 3 months of DirecTV Now but already had one). Yesterday I was at Best Buy and had a thought, what if I say it was a gift and they got me the wrong one and try exchanging it for the 4K version and just pay the difference? Anyone have luck returning/exchanging without a receipt at Best Buy?

Good luck on your attempt to commit fraud.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Not to defend the changes, but can't you just tell Siri to skip ahead 10 seconds?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What type of HDMI cable to I need to make sure the ATV 4K works? I have a few cables so I'm guessing one will work, but just in case I need to get one, what's the minimum spec required?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

For a specific suggestion, I use an AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable and it works with 4:4:4 pulldown, so that seems to be good enough.

Yeah I ordered a 3 pack off Amazon earlier. Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah Disney not playing ball sucks. I bought Last Jedi and the only way to watch it 4K is with a UHD Blu-ray player, which I don’t have, or the VUDU app on my TV, since the ATV app doesn’t do 4K yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can someone check something for me? Here's my problem:

Remember how Apple upgraded your HD copies of stuff to 4K if it was available? I'm missing a ton of 4k upgrades. Here's an example: Way back when I redeemed an ultraviolet code for The Dark Knight. When Movies Anywhere did their thing, I ended up with a 4K copy of the movie in my iTunes library. I checked today, and now it's just an HD copy. This happened to a lot of movies I have. The only one that is still 4K is Blade Runner 2049, since I actually purchased a 4K copy through VUDU.

Can someone see if that's happened to their poo poo?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Gillman posted:

I think they only give you the 4K version when streaming

Right. When I pulled the movie up on my Apple TV it only shows HD, when before it showed 4K. They’re all like this now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

What did Apple say when you contacted them about it?

I haven’t contacted them yet. I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone had a similar issue. I was hoping to narrow it down to either an account issue or if it’s something they are doing across the board.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

You aren't supposed to get 4K streams from Movies Anywhere code redemption. Only movies purchased directly from Apple were supposed to get free 4K upgrades. You probably just somehow got them when you weren't supposed to and they took them away from you.

I see. Well that explains that. I wonder why it took them that long to get to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh poo poo. There's an ATV app for that? Yeah that's a great channel. They have a sister channel Charge! It's the same deal but for action stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Not true; they approved it, Steam announced it and then they revoked the approval lol.

I'm going to guess Apple wanted to reveal it at WWDC?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

AppleTV + DirecvNow + 3rd party apps = perfect for me. Add in plex and infuse and I've got all the bases covered and it's wife friendly.

My only complaint is Netflix doesn't feed into the TV app.

It definitely does. You may need to go into your settings and fix it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

While it doesn't have full integration stuff on there still comes up with searches, I think. It doesn't let you track it, add to up next, etc. though.

I have to apologize, this is was I was seeing, so I assumed it meant the app had TV integration.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Have you power cycled it?

Hell, it might be faster just to reset to factory settings than it is to troubleshoot what's causing it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This is going to sound weird, but is it possible that an iPhone or iPad, for example, are somehow automatically Airplaying to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah at this point in my life I’m absolutely going to buy a movie if it’s 4.99. It’s a loving pain in the rear end trying to find things that are streaming so even if I watch it

Same here. If it's a movie I really like, I'll pay up to ten bucks. It's also worth it to keep an eye on dvd/blu-ray sales. If a blu-ray goes on sale for cheap, I'll get it if it has a digital code. You can always flip the disc on the internet or give it to your parents.