Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"this is a bad look for x' is one of those dumb phrases I wish would die already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The real reason for this just dawned on me. Apple is launching a streaming video service. They want that poo poo on as many devices as possible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

derk posted:

Not sure this is where I should ask but it seems like a good starting point.

So, in our conference room at work we have some old tech, and when sales meetings and product updates are done in our conference room, we have a old rear end projector which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. We also have 2 46" Vizio HDTV's non-smart. Every sales guy brings in either a laptop or a tablet, but not everything has HDMI out, I am trying to find a good universal screen casting solution. I have thought of Chromecast or Apple TV, as today I witnessed a guy using an iPad and he brought an Apple TV with him and it just worked perfectly. My question is is Apple TV the answer? Does it play well with non apple products. Most guys bring in standard win7/win10 laptops. Our network / wifi is not the best in the conference room, I should say it is the wifi, Ethernet is throughout the building, but casting obviously rarely uses that route. I could easily hide a Apple TV in the cabinet and have it up on the TV's no problem, I am just not vexed well with how well chromecast or apple tv works as a universal casting option. Most guys are just running slideshows, some guys have videos with sound as well, so these are all options I need to try to fulfill. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

We use Solstice for universal screen casting. Seems to work pretty well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

Protip: hold play/pause button to bring up a list of audio devices to send the audio to without having to go into settings.

Dude I love you. I didn’t know that.

Also, if you want to buy a 4K but not wait for a promo, get a refurbished one from Apple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So for the most part, apps are cooperating with SSO which is nice.

Is there a way to see some sort of list of all the shows I have in my 'Up Next' I want to prune it but I can't really find a efficient way to do this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ahhhhhhh ATV user profiles at last.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Supporting console controllers is a good thing for them when MS/Sony go all-in on their streaming services as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

So PS4 controllers work now. But Steam Link requires you setup a controller in the app. But the Apple TV already reads inputs from the controller as soon as you sync it. So you literally can't set it up because when it tells you to setup the B button, O on the PS4 app, it reads that as you pressing what TV OS has mapped as the menu button on the controller. So it takes you back. Great job, guys, everyone involved really knocked this one out of the park.

You did submit a bug report, right? That is what a beta is for after all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Public betas ARE dev betas, just a build or two behind. It's quite possible that poo poo's working on the latest dev build.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

edit: Im a big dumb poopie head.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 22, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ah poo poo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fedule posted:

Real quick, is it possible to watch today's keynote on ATV? I vaguely remember there being some kind of Events app but I also vaguely remember it being a WWDC thing?

Yup. That should be the right app. If you don't have it search for Apple Events.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-events/id1090599922

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Since it’s relevant here: Apple TV Plus. November. 5 bucks a month.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Call Apple and I bet they'll cross ship you a replacement.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

I saw an older Apple TV+ graphic that showed HGTV, Fox, NBC and a couple of other standard Networks. Are those still gonna be a thing? Or maybe that was just referring to Apple TV (the box) and all the apps that are available? This branding might get confusing lol.

There's two possibilities:

-An old fan made image from when Apple WAS working to develop an OTT service like Directv Now or Sling

-A reference to the new TV / Channels thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How do profiles work? Do I have to re-download and setup apps in that profile? Like if I have Netflix already setup on the main one, does it need to be done over again on the newly created profile?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

emdash posted:

FoxNow is working for me tonight, but it's HD and poor-looking at that . . . please post if you have any luck getting 4K anywhere

I have an MLB.TV sub, and it does 4k 60FPS. The game tonight is the same Fox feed. Looks like poo poo just like on the Fox app or Youtube TV. It's a shame because the last series they had on looked awesome.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Convert with Handbrake and then you can properly airplay it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had Hulu but not ESPN and signed up for the bundle. How do I watch ESPN? My email won’t log me into ESPN.

You probably need to create an ESPN account using the email address your Hulu and Disney+ use.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jackpot posted:

Yeah from what I'm reading it's a no brainer between the HD and 4K models.

The whole "only $20 more to double the storage" thing irritates me, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

You don't need the extra storage. Most apps are super small as they are just glorified web sites. It's the games that eat up the storage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is anyone’s remote really slow to respond, and Siri as well? I used to get little hiccups but now it just seems to be consistently bad. I did re-pair the remote but may do that again

Could it be related to the iOS or maybe some radio/WiFi interference?

I think it's interference. I intermittently get that. If I switch to the remote app on my phone it's fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For All Mankind is really good. The Morning Show isn't bad. Dickinson is supposed to be good. There's a series from M. Night Shamayalan on there but I haven't watched it yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Big Huski Boi posted:

Given that the #1 or #2 complaint people have about the Apple TV is the cost, and most analyses have them selling it at or near cost, and even after a couple years it's still providing a far faster/smoother experience than the competition...is this really necessary?

Yeah it depends on the scenario. If the ATV 4K is the only thing being made with that SOC, it gets cheaper to drop it for a refresh with a current SOC that's being made in larger quantities already.

It's also possible they want something more energy and heat efficient to get rid of the fan in the current model.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

This is annoying and frustrating and I guess I can’t google correctly on how to fix it.

I’m subscribed to HBO via iTunes (I checked to make sure I can access HBO content via the tv app) supposedly I have access to HBO max as well but when you click on HBO max content it directs you to the app. Fair enough.

However! I download the app and click restore purchases and it’s saying I’m not subscribed??

I can view HBO content in the TV app on my phone and Apple TV. Max is locked out though?

Has anyone run into this?

Did you subscribe through the Apple TV channels? https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/27/hbo-now-leaves-apple-tv-channels/

That could be the issue or related. My guess would be you'd have to unsubscribe to it on your Apple account and just sub to it right through HBO.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I did.

Thing is everything I’m reading said it’s supposed to have migrated over.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t switch over till it renews on the 9th for me. I sent Apple support an email and they told me to take it up with HBO lol. I replied and told them it’s on their end since I’m subscribed through iTunes.

Here's the thing, and it sucks and is confusing. Signing up for a service through the Apple TV Channels is not necessarily the same through signing up through iTunes (and vice versa). For example, I signed up for Shudder through iTunes on the iOS Shudder app. I can download the ATV Shudder app, hit restore purchase, and it will work. However, I cannot use the ATV Channels thing to watch Shudder.

So, if I understand you and that article correctly, it's not working because HBO's Channels thing is done. If you signed up through it, you can still watch HBO Go/Now but no Max. I bet (but you can try it) if you downloaded HBO Now and hit restore purchase, it won't work either.

If you signed up through iTunes, like using the HBO Now app, you would have been upgraded.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 1, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

I was able to get it to work on launch day. I used the HBO Max iPhone app and chose the option to pick your TV provider, and one of the providers is Apple TV. Then you sign in with your Apple ID, and it should work, and then on the Apple TV HBO Max app, it should have you subscribed.

Yes this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

smackfu posted:

Apple explicitly sent an email saying HBO Apple TV channel subscribers would have access to HBO Max last month. And they sent another email on launch day with the above steps.

HBO apparently changed their mind.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

Sounds like he was trying to do Restore Purchases which I don’t think is the correct option.

You're right. My bad. Definitely try that MarcusSA.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

As far as I'm aware the VP9 stuff isn't coming until the next batch of operating systems later this year.

From what your'e describing that sounds more like something with Plex.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thwomp posted:

He may have downloaded a public tvOS beta that included the codecs.

Is it in one of the tvOS 13 betas? The 14 public isn't out yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I thought 4k youtube was a hardware limitation or was it just google being dicks

I believe it's Apple being dicks for not supporting VP9. Their hardware over the past few years doesn't have any problems decoding it, it's the software not supporting the codec.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

CygnusTM posted:

And a little bit Google being dicks for not just using H.265 which everything supports.

I was under the impression VP9 is a standard of sorts and that Apple was the oddball in not supporting it. Is that wrong? I honestly don't know.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not sure what additional power to the Apple TV would really do, unless there actually are people using it to play games on (something I've always presumed is a very, very small market).

This will finally be the year gaming on Apple devices takes off! :haw:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

teagone posted:

M1 Apple TV pls. Kthx.

Why? That would be overkill for what it's for. It's already running an ARM SOC.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

qirex posted:

To integrate with the TV app your platform’s viewing metrics get recorded by Apple and Netflix will not abide by that. It is dumb and bad and I’m getting to the point where Netflix will go on my “sign up for a couple months at a time to catch up” app rotation. It’s the most expensive service of all of them and I don’t use it as much.

Same. I went months without using it but the mrs still does so I gotta keep it. Part of it is the impact of the content providers rolling their own platform, but a lot of is the Netflix 'originals' themselves aren't that great for the most part.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

qirex posted:

That's pretty slick. It's kind of a shame Apple will never make a television because it seems like they have standing solutions to a lot of the problems TVs have.

IIRC, aren't a lot of TV's sold on razor thin margins? That would definitely make them not want to get into that game.

edit: I know for myself that if they made a TV where 'everything worked' like MacOS and iOS, I'd be down for it, but I feel it would be a niche product for most consumers, even people who may already use iPhones and MacBooks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A more efficient chip would also allow them to remove the fan. No moving parts is a good thing and it makes it more energy efficient.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's a .00001% chance of an M1 SOC in an Apple TV. That's overkill for Apple TV and would drive up the price. If you want something like that, buy a Mac mini and hook it up to your TV. This would also solve your Xbox Game Pass problem. I realllllly don't think Xbox Game Pass will come to Apple TV as an app for multiple reasons. Maybe one day Safari would come to ATV but I doubt it.

It's the same song and dance every couple years from them. They'll do something to indicate they're serious about gaming and nothing ever comes from it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 4, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I will happily do this. Other than a similar-ish form factor, there's no connection between the two devices at all.

Yeah they are not even remotely the same type of device or serving the same purpose at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Euphoriaphone posted:

I think the Apple TV is meant to be the dumping ground for unsold iPad/iPhone chips. I'm sure Apple is minting new A12s for the new ATV, but I'd also bet they're salvaging a large portion of the ATV's innards from unsold XS/XRs.

That's not how their supply chain works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

With the A1 chip inside, the differences in capability would only be the OS.

Apple's whole catalogue of computers is selling things designed for "professionals" with the Pro line of products - Mac Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone Pro etc etc. Everything else is for the "common person" and the Mac mini is directly not that. With the M1 chip in an Apple TV, the only differences would be trivial things like storage and how many USB ports one's got.

To that same point, the needs some people would have for a Mac mini with M1 could easily be answered with apps utilizing the chip. The same can be said for the iPad and MacBook comparisons.

I still don't understand any of this argument.