Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

The cheapest available Mac you use with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse you already have isn't for the "common person"? I think you're starting from a bad premise here.

I will say the Mini is an odd one because it's for the common person as it's the cheapest Mac you can get. But it's also for the pro in that in some environments you have all the pro equipment you need for poo poo except for the actual computer itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is there a recommended light level for the room when doing the calibration or should it not matter? I did it in the usual lighting conditions for the room and it made a slight change in the color on the TV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I don't actually own an Apple TV but that is changing as soon as these new models release.

Are the Apple TVs a hot ticket item like iPhones such that I should plan to pre-order at midnight PST if I want to have it shipped in a reasonable timeframe?

It's really hard to say right now. It's a new device, there's supply chain issues right now due to COVID, lots of people are still pretty much stuck at home, etc. I could see shipping estimates slipping a week or two after they drop.

Just order it whenever and it will arrive eventually. You could also order one and then once they're available at retail in a couple weeks you could always buy it at a store and cancel the order.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just ordered the new ATV. Delivery estimate May 21-27.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

I assume it will work itself out but I don’t feel like paying extra for express shipping when it won’t ship for three weeks.

Are you not in the US? I'm in the US and this is what I see:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

Do people get applecare on the atv? Probably not much can go wrong there other than maybe crushing the remote.

The AC should cover the remote as well, so I suppose if it dies or battery starts to act up. However, on my old ATV 3rd gen, I did have the ethernet port go bad. It wasn't a big deal because I can go wireless, but there's always the possibility of it going bad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

No, I don't buy those. I always buy everything CTO.

They replaced my 2016 15" MBP with a 2017 one that had the same CPU frequency (2.9 GHz), which was top of the line on the 2016, but mid-level on the 2017.

It looks to me like they keep a large variety of CTO configurations ready for replacements after the initial onslaught of orders for a new model. I've also had at least 3 immediate "here ya go" replacements of maxed out iPads (regular, Air and Pro) at my Apple Store.

I also need to add that they only offered the MBP replacements after they couldn't fix the original ones over 3 weeks or so, even after several logic board replacements. The 2011 17" MBPs all had overheating GPUs and at least 2016 15" one couldn't deal with two 5k UltraFine displays after about 18 months. Apple was unable to test this config because for some reason none of their repair centers had two of those displays. Some higher up probably just said gently caress it and gave me the new one to cut the losses.

I had a CTO 27 inch iMac that needed some repairs right before AC expired. It was originally just a bad HDD but the ended up replacing the GPU and something else as well.

At work, they replaced an MBP for us. I'm in higher ed and we ordered a fleet of the old non-retina MBPs (the ones with the optical drive) right before they stopped offering them completely to EDU and enterprise. It had a 4 year AC warranty and right towards the end of the coverage, the main logic board started having issues. I sent it in and they ended up replacing with a retina MBP. Same ram and HDD specs, so it's a pretty decent machine. Since we had already replaced the old MBP with one from our reserves, I got a nice new MBP to play with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

fischtick posted:

Not Apple hardware related, but this season of Bob's Burgers is six weeks behind on my AppleTV. From looking around, Apple tells you to contact Fox, and Fox says to contact Apple.

Does this sort of thing happen often with other shows? Bob's is the only series we've ever purchased (a couple seasons worth), and it's the first time they've been anything but punctual. It's weird.

You're buying them straight through the iTunes Store? I see that same issue for myself right now. That would sound like a Fox issue, I'd think. Like, to put this in simple terms, they just didn't give the file to Apple. I doubt there's anything you could do on your end to fix it. I'd just get a trial of Hulu and catch-up.

That is a weird issue though. I figured at this point, poo poo like that is just totally automated. It probably is but there's a failure at some point in that process.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 11, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I seem to have an issue with Disney+ with some sort HDCP issue. Like I can use it just fine but sometimes I’ll come back to the app and it won’t play anything because of a DRM issue.

I have to reboot the Apple TV to fix it.

First thing to try is another HDMI cable.

Then make sure your TV and ATV have up to date OS/firmware.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anyone know a list of Apple TV models that can use Hulu Live tv?

e: 4th gen and 4K hmm that’s a shame but at least I know

If you're running a 3rd gen you should probably replace that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well it’s complicated. I’ve got a new box and a 3rd gen and then… something much older. We’re about to cancel cable and switch to Hulu Live/various apps but we’ve got four tvs to cover. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about having everything set preferably as Apple centric as possible.

You'll definitely need to replace that 3rd gen and anything older. Check out the Apple refurb store for some 4th gen (Apple TV HD) or better refurbs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh yeah good tip on the refurbs!

I don't know how deep you are into the Apple ecosystem, but a good rule of thumb is to always buy from their refurb store when possible, no matter what the product is. They're 99.9% identical to new stuff and you can add AppleCare if needed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I got a new Appletv and I cannot figure out how to get the remote to work. My old remote works fine but the new one does nothing.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

It could need pairing with the ATV and/or the battery is dead.

If after charging it and it doesn't pair, or still doesn't work after pairing, it could be a dud.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s probably still Comcast’s fault. Generally if the error is sequestered to only one app, it’s because they hosed something up on their end.

Does anyone have a workaround for why AppleTV is insisting I download and use Peacock to watch The Office, even when I bought the entire show on iTunes? I tried removing peacock content but it still persists.

Deeply, deeply annoying.

Go into your settings and stop Peacock from hooking into the TV or Channels app (I can't remember the names and it's all confusing)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jokes posted:

My AirPods Pro have been my favorite purchase of the last few years, and the spatial audio junk is just icing on that cake.

They’re still stupid expensive, even at $180.

I like them but I have had issues with them. I’m about to get them replaced for a second time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Really, a new app? Funny -- in the Nordics we all just transitioned from HBO Nordic (which had its own app) to HBO Max, so we are only now starting to use the HBO Max app. And it is sooo much better than the old Nordic app.

It's still HBO Max. They're just supposed to be re-writing it from the ground up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hed posted:

I’m trying to make my screensaver more Christmas-ey.

Is there a way I can get an Apple TV loop of a fireplace on the screensaver? Right now I use SiriusXM or Plex to play holiday music so what immediately comes to mind is adding a video to one folder on Photos. But videos don’t auto play in the screensaver.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/12/05/apple-tv-fireplace-christmas-music/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weird poo poo happens but I'm not sure how your jacket could have done all that accidentally.

I would put the watch in DND mode and theater mode. That will prevent wake on raise and all that stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can you pair any of the ATV bluetooth remotes with a MacOS computer? Will it work with iTunes/TV/QT or other media player apps?

Macs used to come with the old IR remotes and it was super handy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

Was there an update or something that borked the 3rd gen ATVs at some point? I can still browse music in Home Sharing via "Computers," but can't actually play anything. It's not an audio issue, like the "player" interface doesn't even come up. Meanwhile it works fine as an AirPlay target still.

If it's specifically home sharing that's busted you might need to log out/back in of the home sharing poo poo on the ATV and/or the host computer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I dont know why apple cant design a decent remote. But they have all been varying levels of not great.

I always thought the old aluminum remotes they used for years (and even packed in with computers and laptops) was great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They don’t do annual refreshes for Apple TV. I’d be shocked if they did release one this year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I figure one day they can basically shrink an Apple TV in a stick sized device.

For right now though, I don't see them releasing one as a 'budget' Apple TV. If people really want that experience there's plenty of TVs that now work with Airplay. Smart TVs and other appliances have an AppleTV+ app now so they can watch that poo poo, so Apple already has their trojan horse.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Does it behave properly if the extension is disabled ? I didn’t know what the extension is so I googled it. It’s an ad blocker of sorts? If that’s the case you shouldn’t be surprised if poo poo breaks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

macOS, yes on certain hardware.
Windows, no. 1080P max.

Edit: I just realized that page is for stuff through tv.Apple.com but I would guess it’s the same for iTunes since it’s basically doing the same thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. That's BS, but not surprising.

e:though I think that might be referring to watching via a browser? It doesn't seem to mention watching via iTunes.

I edited my post right after I made it with that. From what I can find elsewhere, that same information seems to also apply to watching movies through the iTunes app.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 8, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I didn't know anyone actually used that app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Holiday sales...or clearing out inventory....

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Does anyone else use the spectrum streaming app? I’m having some wild disconnect issues but only with that app.

I use it along with the streaming website. they're both dogshit and I have issues all the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It’s the only app I have that seems to disconnect the hdmi from the TV. I have no idea what is going on with it because it’s random as hell as well.

I try to use the app from the content provider (ESPN, NBC, etc) instead of the Spectrum app when possible. There's a few exceptions though. For some reason I can watch TCM on the streaming app/website even though my package doesn't include it, which means I can't use my provider login on the TCM website.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Apple TVs get refreshed whenever they feel like it. No pattern, really. If you want that feature just buy it now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BRB going into the attic so I can watch the living room tv.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

priznat posted:

I can barely remember but I think the OG AppleTV used to load movies to an internal drive right? But that was ages ago and now that internet speeds are faster it’s gone all streaming.

Yes. The original original ATV was literally an Intel Mac with a customized MacOS.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Doesn’t have to be an iTunes purchase, it just has to be in your iTunes library. I have no idea how you add something these days, though.

I'm a weirdo who uses iTunes library for sharing movies/tv on my home network. The file has to be in the right format. You just drag/drop into the library on the TV app.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 14, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like I’m either being dumb or the internet is lying to me.

I have an MHY93LL/A which is a 32gb Apple TV HD (2021).

It currently has TVOS 15.6 but everything I’m reading says it should go up to the latest version but doing a software update says it’s on the latest version.

I’m using it at work so it’s not a huge deal it just seems weird it won’t update.

Is it possible it's being managed? With MDM you can defer updates up to 90 days. tvOS 17 is still within that 90 day window.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think so? It’s my device I bought last year and just got around to setting up.

The only reason I bought it was because it was $60 and it came with the new remote which I’m using on my other ATV.

You mentioned work, so I thought it was a possibility. I haven't done this in a long time but if you have a Mac you may be able to connect to the computer and use Apple Configurator to manually install the latest tvOS. do so at your own peril of course.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Today, when putting away cables hanging around, my old atv3 box was in the way. Just finished plugging it back it, it's kinda sad how the only usage i had for it, after most of the app support vaned away, is now pretty much non-functional. You can only do full screen airplay and the moment any content triggers drm, the feed will die. Shame apple didn't upgrade the drm module, as it is it's pretty much e-waste. I won't purchase a new one since it's half the cost of an airplay enabled tv and at that point i might as well refresh my old bravia.

You do you, but a $260 TV is going to be full of lovely apps (even more expensive ones are). With an Apple TV you will never once have to gently caress with that poo poo. That's well worth the premium.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Not even just lovely but slow AF too. The whole experience is incredibly frustrating.

The ATV will be supported long after any TV as well. The ATV HD from 2015 is still supported. I would be extremely surprised if any smart tv sold from that time still gets firmware or app updates.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Also check the Apple refurb page.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I would make sure it's 100% charged. unpair/repair.

It's also possible there's some interference causing it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I've been seriously considering an Apple TV thing, between needing a little box like that for one of my main TVs and some actual game exclusives I certainly wouldn't mind playing on a larger screen (mostly stuff from Sega).

But the last model came out two years ago and if I were to buy one now and a month later a new model shows up, boy, would that make me feel like having pie on my face??

There's probably no specific rhyme or reason for when a new model will come out, but for thread regulars what does the situation look like now?

Some products get refreshed like clockwork, the ATV is not one of them. In that scenario, just buy one. Even if a new one comes out in a couple months, the one you have probably won't be that much different to where you'd have wasted your money.