Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can I hook up a bluetooth keyboard for entering text, or is there some way to use siri for filling out text fields?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

I think it said it will show you the battery level somewhere in the remote settings screen(s)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thing is awesome except for the text input. It's such a pain in the rear end that I feel like I have to be missing an easier way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Siri voice recognition has worked flawlessly for me. I don't understand why it won't work in text input fields.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

(Or iOS's dictation input.)

Exactly. I say words, it types them. They wouldn't need or want to ditch the manual text input, but when in a text field i should be able to push the siri button and dictate the search terms.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed that if I put the AppleTV to sleep, it turns off my tv. But if I wake it up and the tv is off, nothing happens. Is that normal?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

You may need to go into your tv's menu and allow for external devices to power your tv on.

I know my Panasonic had turn off via CEC enabled but turn on disabled by default. Which is kinda weird but whatever.

Gotcha. I looked in the Apple TV preference to see if there was a setting I was missing. Not sure why I didn't go into my TV prefs. Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I know this is a popular opinion, but quite frankly I didn't pay $200 for a TV gadget to then have to work my phone or laptop into the equation. I know this is a pragmatic solution but that's a terrible precedent to set.

edit: That sounded way more argumentative than I meant it to, sorry.

I'm with you. Airplay for me is unreliable, sometimes jumpy, sometimes just uncooperative. Plus I end up having to dedicate a device to it while it's doing its thing. I'm excited to have a device with apps so that I don't have to do airplay.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The remote is cute, but not intuitive at all. I still hold it upside down frequently, can't remember the swiping shortcuts, and sometimes when I'm not using it it gets bumped and my tv switches to that input. There's a whole lot the new appletv gets right, but the remote isn't one of those things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Single sign on is huge. Way overdue.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

ATV3 is getting axed according to some sources. :smith:

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/773684184271421440

Good? The 4th gen is so much better that getting a 3rd gen seems like a complete waste of money to me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

Tv web browsers have been tried and are universally bad hth

That word filter is gold

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

What did it filter out?

Quote a post and you'll see what was actually typed in the input/editing box(or whatever the box where you type your post is called).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

duffmensch posted:

Along those lines, how often do most people have to authenticate with the various cable apps (ie: AMC, SyFy, or Science Channel)? Some are more frequent than others but it seems like I'm having to authenticate every week or so.

Did you share your login with others?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they even roll out single sign on yet? I know they said it didn't make the big OS update in September.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Single-sign-on is live on the new Apple TV, no software update required.

It's been live for a while but only had two cable partners it worked with. Has that been expanded?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In ios 11 you can put quick remote access in the control center which makes using your phone as the remote a lot more practical

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The espn app has added a multicast feature that I’m not sure if it’s on other platforms yet. But the implementation is really good if you like following multiple sporting events at once.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did apple say when the free 4k movie upgrades would be available? I have a 4k tv and nothing to watch on it in 4k. Before I drop money on a new ATV it would be nice if one of the handful of movies I won is available in 4k.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

If they were available what would you play them back on? You'd need a 4k Apple TV.

That's my point. I'd like to know if anything I had would be usable i 4k before I spend money on a new ATV

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you tell if the movies you have are available in 4k? I only have a dozen or so, most of them for the kids and i don't see anything about it in itunes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jabro posted:

Check in iTunes. On the screen where you either choose to download or stream the movie there will be a 4K tag next to the HD, Dolby, and CC ones. No tag, no 4K.

Cool, thanks. Looks like none of my movies have that. Which is a shame because the Pixar stuff would probably look glorious in 4k.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

It depends more on the studio at this point. You'll reliably find 4k titles of movies released in the last couple of years but movies older than that are really spotty.

Much like the whole DVD to Blu-Ray transition, it'll take years for Hollywood to get all its content remastered in 4k.

Fun Fact: Pixar's first 4k release will be Cars 3 next month. I'm sure the rest will eventually make it to 4k and if you bought the HD versions already, they'll automatically get upgraded to 4k once the 4k version is available.

For the older Pixar movies will they have to rerender everything again? I wonder what resolution the masters are rendered at. For films I assume it's just a matter of digitizing the master print at a higher rez, but it may actually be tougher with a CGI movie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys did you know that if you order something expensive, the shipper might require it be sent signature required?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If any of you know Sarah can you please ask her to stop trying to connect to my AppleTV

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steve would have never allowed beta software to have bugs

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I’ve obviously done this. But the fact that this wasn’t something someone noticed the first day they had this available to them on Valves side is still ridiculous. Add to that the fact that it reads perfectly on the actual beta firmware and it’s even dumber.

If it’s the Apple beta that broke valves functionality then valve would need to submit an updated app and Apple approve it. That can take a few days. And if they need to compile it against the new sdk to make it function, Apple may not even be allowing that yet since, again, beta.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have three devices plugged into my Samsung tv:

•Two of them can turn on the TV when powered on
•Of those two, only the appletv can switch to the proper input
•All three devices will turn off the tv when they power down due to inactivity, even if I'm not on that input

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the superbowl on my atv and even though it was apparently most 1080 footage that was upscaled prior to broadcast, it looked drat good. I tried to A/B between it and the regular fox broadcast, and the fox broadcast had a lot more artifacting around the chyron and whatnot. It was also supposed to be 60 frames/s but I couldn't tell if that was the case.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Huski Boi posted:

I watched the first quarter on the Fox Sports app in 4K and it looked great, but a couple times it just stopped playing and took forever to continue. Not sure if my internet was screwing up or what. Also it was noticeably a minute or two behind the YouTube TV broadcast. But when I switched to the latter it looked awful in comparison.

Mine did that a couple times early on and i had ot reslect the stream but no issues after the first quarter I think. I suspect they were having backend problems.

Also, streaming is always going to be behind the tv broadcast. My understanding is its because of how it's sent out in chunks to the ISPs who then stream it to their subscribers. And so it's sent out in 30 second or minute long chunks or whatever, and you can't start watching that chunk until the ISP has the whole chunk. Something like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 4, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Huski Boi posted:

I would've assumed the YouTube TV "broadcast" would've been a stream and thus on roughly the same timing.

I doubt the isps do the mirror thing like they do with the network streams. All those networks are in partnership with the big isps so the isps have servers that get the streaming content from the networks and then stream that to their subscribers But there's only maybe 50 networks that do that, possibly fewer. But youtube has millions of videos that anyone could be streaming at any given time, so unless the isps were going to set up a special stream just for for the youtube superbowl feed, you're just getting it straight from youtube.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Tim goes on stage and says "It's the exact same thing you already have except the remote isn't hot garbage and no the new remote isn't backwards compatible" I'll order two.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I'm saying is I love my apple tv but I curse the ghost of Steve Jobs every time I have to find and then use that horrible, terrible, not very good remote.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Bob's Burgers on Hulu (on my apple devices) and new episodes are there the day after they air.

edit: Also this season has kind of sucked in my opinion. Just seems to be missing something

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to reports on the new remote. I assume it’s better than the old one because how could it not be but still

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wait what the hell, is the “home” button really the Apple TV app button now?? Every time I push it, it opens the ATV app. It’s like having the Netflix button all over again. Garbage.

That was previously a setting. I would go check that. It defaulted to to the Apple TV app with one of the software updates, so new systems are probably the same.

edit: drat you sure angry about a setting you can change

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s wafer-like shape makes it the easiest of all the remotes to disappear between cushions. It is truly one of the worst things apple has ever designed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What cameras do you guys user with HomeKit? I looked and it seemed like Logitech was the only truly integrated option but its reviews seemed so so.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Is anyone else unable to issue commands to an Apple TV (4k) via Siri? We used to be able to tell our HomePods to play/pause, fast forward, skip, etc, and they would work as expected. But about 2-3 weeks ago it just replies that it's unable to complete the request at this time after trying for a few seconds. We can't do it either from Siri from our phones, but we can use the remote app to control the Apple TV.

The Apple TV did a software update in that time, I've restarted it, the HomePods, and the network without any change. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

A lot of times you have to sign back into your Apple ID on the updated devices. Check the account settings to see if it's wanting you to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dont know why apple cant design a decent remote. But they have all been varying levels of not great.