Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

milkaxor posted:

I have the same issue which makes me think it is intentional. The YT app is quite frustrating. I wish there was a way to force a refresh without having to kill the app.

To be fair. The Youtube app on many of the streaming devices is lacking in some ways. On Android TV... It only shows your first 50ish subscriptions in your list. And like the ATV, it used to not update until you force closed the app and went back to it. Sometimes not even that worked, you had to reboot your entire device. And on Roku, the app is actually just a front end to tv.youtube.com and is thus comically slow on most Roku devices; don't even think about seeking on it. It also has the 50ish subscription limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
So they have done what they have on all the other platforms.

The Youtube app is now just a wrapper around youtube.com/tv

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

How? Did tvOS grow a webview?

Unless they completely reimplemented a UI that copies the web version, then it must have. Just as like on other platforms it appears to be the HTML5 interface with a wrapper app to translate remote buttons and other special functions.

Edit: Seems they also brought in the standard cast functionality from other platforms. (DIAL protocol) You can cast Youtube videos to the ATV from any device on your local network, not just a Apple device with AirPlay.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 8, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Still no 4K streaming though

Youtube 4k is streamed in the VP9 codec, which Apple doesn't support. Same reason you can't watch Youtube 4k in Safari.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ManSedan posted:

I’m mostly pissed that it still doesn’t indicate watched videos on a playlist

Do watched videos not have the little red line at the bottom of the video? It does on all the other platforms....

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The streaming providers unifying their interfaces across all platforms is the new normal, might as well get used to it.

Netflix was one of the first... Their interface has been the same/similar across the majority of their many platforms for some time now. Well, at least on platforms where they can customize it.

But to add to the bitching.. Netflix auto playing everything is horrible. Especially on older Roku devices (OG stick/2/3) where it causes it to kinda lockup for a second as it struggles to play the video in the background.

Edit: more bitching.. I dusted off the old Roku 3 and discovered YouTube updated the interface for Roku devices again! It is no longer the HTML5 app. I actually like it. Subscriptions are in a full screen grid now. And your list of subscribed channels is in a A-Z list. No more dinner plate sized subscription list, and it uses the entire screen to show video thumbnails.... And the thumbnails are animated previews.
I hope they bring this interface to the other platforms.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Amazon Prime Video is such a clunky mess. It's functional but clunky (I was already prepared for it based on Roku users griping so maybe I'm less harsh than I should be). My major gripe is its really tricky to find what's available to stream for free and what requires a purchase. It shouldn't be this hard.

Amazon's interface has always been this way. Even when they where using the standard Roku interface elements. It was not possible to tell what was free to stream until you actually attempted to play it.

I've used it on just about every platform they offer it on, its clunky and laggy on even their own Fire hardware.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Apple doesn't have support for the video codec YouTube uses for 4k (VP9). This is why the Apple TV can't play 4k Youtube, and neither can Safari.

Apple is the lone holdout in this case. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from adding VP9 support into their products, other than stubbornness.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Granite Octopus posted:

Not really. There is no hardware decoding support in any of their products so they may not be fast enough to do the decoding in software.

Fair enough for the Apple TV, but they don't have any excuse on desktop though.. Every other browser supports it just fine on Mac.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Minidust posted:

I don't know if my WiFi just sucks but I can only get a still image to appear on Steam Link. It syncs up to my PC and I can hear the UI sounds if I move around with the Siri remote, but I just get the first frame of the video stream frozen on the ATV. If I refer back to my PC and start a game that way, it appears to work for a second but then I just get the first frame of that game's splash screen stuck on the ATV instead (while everything continues to play normally on the native PC).

My controller doesn't pair but I assume that's normal since I don't have a Steam of Apple controller. But I think "pairing" only refers to the ATV itself and you can just indirectly use any controller via the PC.

Most of the game streaming setups require your WiFi to be able to manage at minimum 20Mbps continuously. If both your PC and the ATV are on WiFi and especially if its 2.4Ghz wifi it might not be possible for your network to maintain that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

American McGay posted:

It's insane to me that people actually watch YouTube. Let alone YouTube on their TV.

Its just about all I watch... I have some 600ish subscriptions covering a huge range of topics.

I rarely ever watch "traditional" TV anymore and got rid of cable years ago.

The $9.99 Youtube Red/Premium/whatever they call it nowadays is fantastic for anyone who watches Youtube a lot. No ads on any device you watch on, PiHole or not. And you get access to Google Music/Youtube Music as a bonus. (I believe its higher now, but I am grandfathered in on the lower pricing).

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 19, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s 15.99 now (I think) and they can gently caress right off with that price.

Hmm.. on the youtube website is $11.99.... At least in the US.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

:shrug:

that’s what it shows in the app for me and that’s honestly a ridiculous price.

If you buy via Apple/InApp they charge a higher price. Directly from Youtube/Google it is $11.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's quite neat, I don't dislike it.

It's a shame that the AT&T box they shipped me to beta has a remote that really looks like it was designed specifically around using cable-type services on a streaming box (decent amount of buttons, numpad etc) but the thing is an utter dog to use. Such a wasted opportunity (the box itself is terrible too, about 10x the size of streaming stick solutions and about 4 years out of date).

I don't understand why the cable industry is so far behind with equipment like this...

The local IPTV provider here is the same way.. They use ADB branded boxes that look like they are straight out of 1999; the UI uses a terrible color scheme consisting of bright blue, green, purple and hot-pink. Its slow as poo poo. And the included remote is fuckoff huge with 1,000 tiny buttons it. You can barely hold it in one hand. A cold reboot takes nearly 10 full minutes. (and it needs them frequently). I was so glad to ditch cable and get rid of those damned things.