Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Kind of excited about the possibility of something like HDHomeRun getting an app for ATV4. ATV getting closer to being the one media centre in my home, whether that's streaming or live.

edit: Well, not the HDHomeRun since it's been discontinued, but you know what I mean.

edit2: Oh I thought it was discontinued but looks like I'm wrong?
Yeah HDHR is still around, not sure where you got the discontinuation idea from other than I dunno, probably Microsoft (more or less) ditching Windows Media Center support/updates, which is the main way of using HDHRs for most folks. Or CableCard going away which is another big issue going forward, although ideally whatever new thing would actually be easier to work with.

Anyway they did a Kickstarter for standalone DVR server and viewer software but it's still early afaik. I'm not sure there's anything technical stopping the viewer from working on ATV so hopefully they make a client eventually, but for now it's not one of the platforms they're working on. Until then I'm hoping whatever other streaming app to be able to view live or recordings like I do with nPlayer on iOS right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just spent a few minutes skimming the HDHR forums and it looks like they're looking into Plex integration so that might be one avenue eventually too.

I'm on an A7 and it plays stuff fine from mine without the transcoding so the ATV/A8 should be fine, it'll just depend on the performance of the software decoder that guy is using I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone wants to try (compiling and) side loading emulators:

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Minidust posted:

I've come close to buying a sideclick so many times, but my wife really just wants a mute button and it feels like overkill :/
Kinda same here. I basically just need an input switch button for when I want to play games and CEC is being funky between devices taking over...although I guess at that point I might as well have power and volume too since ATV remote's volume will wake and switch inputs if the box is asleep.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've been needing another Apple TV so :toot:. Got a projector for my birthday and will basically just mount the ATV on there I guess, maybe another portable Switch dock now that I think about it. I was curious if the auto calibration would be possible and supposedly (according to someone that tried it on another forum) it works if you project on a diffuser of some sort (i.e. paper) and calibrate from the back side. I'm guessing it'll be a bit off, but considering my projector and usual lighting conditions it probably won't matter enough for me to notice.

Re: CEC tales of woe, I think I've generally been fine, other than Switch not turning things on/off last I recall after working fine before. My biggest annoyance is when input switching doesn't work, or when playing the Switch, having the ATV's control affect things. Like if the ATV is off and I'm playing the Switch, using the ATV remote for volume will turn it on and switch inputs to itself. I think it's fine if it's already on, but I forget. Otherwise I've had the ATV go to sleep while I'm playing and turn off the TV...and now I remember why my sleep setting was set so long.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Did the calibration and basically just ended up warmer. I'm guessing if you're anal and already tried calibrating on your own before you'll basically end up with a color temperature tweak.

I also tried the wireless sound sync calibration thing, no clue if that's new. I have a receiver and sometimes also output to a HomePod mini in the kitchen. Not perfect but pretty close on default, but noticeably worse with the calibration. It only played a sound on the receiver to begin with so not sure what wireless sound it's referring to, was it an old thing for bluetooth speakers?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

I’ll probably just go with the minimum size ATV again like my HD, I don’t think 32GB is very limiting.

Actually I should check mine to see what the space free is, I assume that is a menu option somewhere in settings?
I was following a thread on another forum where this came up, there wasn't a place to show storage, it was all just invisible to the user...but I guess that changed in 14.5 (or I completely missed it before), cause there's a Manage Storage thing now that shows you apps/sizes and can delete from there. Course I don't see anything showing free space, but all the apps I have (streaming stuff) are pretty small, like 20-100MB. The screensavers on the other hand can be like a gig each I think.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t love it but it works fine for me and always responds how I expect it to. That’s all I ask for in a remote. I think it serves its purpose and nails a classic Apple minimalist design but I have a feeling I’ll like the new one quite a bit more.
Yeah I'm fine with it for the most part, my biggest issues are differing implementations of timeline scrubbing between apps or the directional taps not always being consistent. Hoping the defined click regions/clickwheel helps clean things up.

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 30, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Wild! I probably will just stick with the 32 although the 64 is only $20 more… hnnngh nah it’s probably fine.

I hope there is some kind of xcloud app for the tv that lets me stream xbox games but I guess the one coming to ios is browser based so probably not :sigh:
I mean, it might be worth it if you're big on Apple Arcade and download a bunch at a time :shrug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah Costco has it for $10 off, but members only (:smug:), "expected ship week of 5/24/21"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Euphoriaphone posted:

I bought this exact set to output my 30-series RTX at 4k120hz and one of the cables didn't perform. It wasn't entirely broken, since it was able to do 4k60hz, but most HDMI cables you can buy now can do that.

The other 2 worked fine. I do occasionally get a few frames of ghosting, usually on an mostly-black screen, but I suspect that's due to the TV or GPU, not the cable.
Their customer support is pretty good iirc, maybe could've gotten a replacement without much fuss.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are a Costco member the 64GB is $10 off (or was a few weeks ago anyway) so that made the decision for me.
The 32GB was also $10 off, even higher savings by percentage!

Mostly excited cause I can move my old 4K one to my bedroom...which currently just has a Switch dock and an old Apple TV on a projector I got for my birthday . So media wise right now I basically just have YouTube and...AirPlay? Actually one of the huge pluses will be audio to my HomePod mini vs the projector speaker. Course I only have one, really debating another one for stereo, or just like, not all to one side sound.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looking forward to reports on the new remote. I assume it’s better than the old one because how could it not be but still
Someone got one yesterday and his post made the rounds on the usual Mac blogs. Of course it was his first one so had no point of comparison, but I think he mentioned the wheel not working, so that might depend on the apps? I didn't look into it further but I'm guessing he used apps that have their own timeline implementation like YouTube or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I used it yesterday and it was the same for me.

It’s probably some drat A/B poo poo they love doing.
Yeah I first saw something about it at least a few weeks ago but haven't gotten it on mine either...on the other hand my Switch got it a while ago :shrug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sonatinas posted:

It’s loving hilarious my homepods are getting extra functionality with the new 4K so that now I can pass my cable tv audio to HomePods via ARC, I can’t think of another Apple product that has gone through such odd past present future implementations
Wait what is that something just for the new one? Wonder if it'd work through my receiver, although I'm curious how the latency works out.

ZeeBoi posted:

Does Apple or the developer of an app determine what the menu/back button does? Because I want it to just go back to the previous screen, not exit the app completely.

Example: I'm in an app for a news network and I start playing a video. I want to leave the video and go pick another, but pressing the menu/back takes me all the way back to the Apple TV home screen.

I think this happens in the YouTube app as well.
Yeah it should just go back. The TV button or whatever it is goes back to the home screen. Actually I think there's a setting for them in the main Settings app? Maybe your Menu button is set to go home or something. (And I think holding it down might also go home...)

Social Animal posted:

What's the point of making it look like the click wheel if it doesn't work like the click wheel??
So the circle itself doesn't click? Boo!

For the jog functionality can the OP try it in something with the standard timeline like some Apple TV+ show? I'm thinking apps will have to be updated to use the wheel...which means it'll probably be useless in a lot of apps for a few weeks/months.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

Biggest negative of the new remote so far: very loud when it gets knocked off the couch arm on to the hardwood floors. The old one had a silicon case to make it usable and that made it very quiet. Wouldn’t be surprised if the aluminum gets dinged up.

Also, I wish the power button just turned it off instead of requiring a hold.
The old one didn't have a silicone case either :ssh:

Well by default, I guess you mean third party ones. Surprised there aren't any yet considering how fast stuff tends to come out.

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 24, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Interested in the new ARC to HomePod functionality, at least once it works with HomePod minis and other AirPlay 2 targets. Is there any type of external HDMI switch thing that would work with it? I have a cheap projector that I'm pretty sure doesn't have ARC, although considering the price of niche AV hardware I'm guessing it might be cheaper to just get a better projector.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man this thing is the apple TV i've always wanted. Not sure if my last 4k one was aging, but it definitely slowed down quite a bit at times

Local airplay (as-in literally local, not same network only) is enabled by default. I wonder if the range is short, otherwise in urban areas, might lead to funny invasive antics
Heh I think someone was complaining about that in another thread about that. Like they were in an apartment and had multiple other people's stuff showing up in their AirPlay list cause the proximity. I think they tried playing a message on how to turn it off but iirc never got anywhere.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anyone leave "reduce loud sounds" on permanently? Does it gently caress with the audio mixing at all in a bad way?
Apparently I have and haven't noticed, so uh I guess it's fine?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Whoever is responsible for the YouTube app needs to be fired, good grief
Which one? :v:

(The newer one finally showed up for me last week, weeks/months after my Switch)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was gonna say Best Buy had the 32GB open box online for $162 but looks like I got the last/only one. I guess keep checking their listing if you want one for less. The 64GB for $180 is still there as of right now though!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

For any UK/EU goons, Amazon is apparently selling the new remote for £19: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FG0ZVEI?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE. Many people on HUKD doubt it's actually the latest version but you can always send it back.
According to the most recent reviews it looks like the remote for the second/third gen model.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

New remote is still great but I am getting burned when I go to the bedroom tv with the old siri remote and keep hitting the mute button (since they swapped their positions). Also when I'm picking the new remote up, I'm hitting the SIRI button on the side a lot.

Other than that, it's awesome.
Yeah still iffy about the different layouts between my old and new ones. Mute could stand to be somewhere else and/or unique or less prominent, and Siri button on the side still feels kinda awkward. Power button isn't terribly useful, same as pressing whatever button to turn everything on, saves a click on turning off. It'd be more useful if it was programmable for non CEC setups..

Click wheel is great just for having distinctive directional clicks (vs area taps that could be misread on the old one)...although nothing I use uses implemented the actual jog wheel functionality yet afaik (but I did see a bunch of app update dots today so perhaps it works now). It'd be nice to use it for scrolling lists too like the old iPods.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mahoning posted:

The power button is still kinda useful in that you only have to hold it down for a second to turn everything off. Old remote required a button hold + an additional click.
Yeah that additional one is what I meant by saving a click. A regular immediate click would feel like more of an improvement, but I can understand reasoning to make it a hold action.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I will add that with my bedroom tv, the old siri remote turns on and off the Samsung TV, ATV4k and Vizio soundbar on and off perfectly so it seems my problems above are with the Sony TV and Yamaha receiver going mortal combat on each other.
I feel lucky with the CEC lottery cause I have a Sony TV and Yamaha receiver that already played nice with the old remote. Receiver can take its time to start up after the others, but haven’t run into the power or input chaos you have.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a new ATV, a 2019 Sony X900F TV, and a Sonos Beam via ARC. CEC will turn everything on ok, but when I turn the ATV off, it just changes the TV input over to my inactive Switch. It’s super dumb and annoying.
I remember when the Switch came out it exposed some people to the fun of CEC oddities and HDMI input handling (partially due to the Switch/dock I'm sure).

Endless Mike posted:

If you "hey Siri" your phone should pick it up and do it.

But yeah it is a bit surprising they didn't put it in the Apple TV
Or just a hey Siri listening trigger on the remote itself like AirPods. Course I'm an Apple whore and have HomePod mini, iPad, iPhone, Watch, and a Mac all within earshot right now so I got enough mics around me (I think two Alexa things too actually).

Reminds me, one of my biggest annoyances with the ATV interface is on search screens. Particularly that you have to have focus on the text input bar to voice search, otherwise anywhere else on a search screen brings up the global Siri.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flickmaker posted:

drat. It’s weird. It appears to work. Reads volume up, volume down, and mute. But then doesn’t work. I’ll have more time to mess with it later this week.
What's the remote volume setting set to? Like if it's on Auto maybe just manually force it to IR only.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Previous gen 4K for $99 at Walmart?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/976529747

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah new remote is the biggie, and I guess since you have the soundbar, eARC support might be a thing that comes into play at some point for your setup :shrug:

Anyway that reminds me, saw this thing recently about YouTube TV's (paid) 4K support recently:
https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/10383365#zippy=%2Cfind-programs-you-can-watch-in-k

quote:

4K playback is only available on compatible devices:

4K Smart TVs

4K Android TV models like Sony Bravia, and others
Samsung, LG and HiSense 4K Smart TVs (2016 or later)
4K Streaming Devices connected to a 4K TV

Chromecast with Google TV
4K Roku Streaming Devices
Apple TV 4K (2021)
PS4 Pro
Amazon Fire 4k Stick (1st Gen - 2018)
Nvidia Shield

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not trying to be smart, but I have never had screen mirroring work well lol. Laptop or phone. Even ethernet with fiber.
A few hops apart on my network (through four switches I think, upstairs to downstairs), but I had trouble with my Mac mini mirroring to mine (also for NFL games :v:) with everything wired. I think it was mostly smooth enough, but it'd randomly just lose the AirPlay connection a bunch. Recently tried with my MBA over wifi in the same room and it's been rock solid. Maybe newer OS on the MBA, I forget, but stopped bothering trying the mini so :iiam:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah not big on the play/pause button move, and the whole jog dial feature seemingly not being supported in anything other than the standard player.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wild guess is that either the ATV or receiver (on the ATV input) is mixing to 3.1, depending what you mean here:

quote:

Apple TV connected to a denon avr with the audio format set to auto with a 3.1 system
Whereas when you AirPlay directly to the receiver it's just playing the stereo signal as is. If you can change the setting on the receiver to auto 3.1 while streaming directly to it (which it probably treats as another separate input with its own settings) that might do the trick.

(...unless you meant you don't want that mixing to happen)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've had laggy volume occasionally and yeah, just assumed it was some kind of interference cause moving closer helps. And in my case there's some obvious possible sources of interference, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Lost volume control a few days ago too. I think I tried toggling CEC and power cycling my receiver and TV but didn't work, kinda. The normal off on my TV isn't a complete off. Found a hard power switch on it to fully power it off and power cycling it that way did the trick.