Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there any significant reason to consider an ATV if I already have a Chromecast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I'm considering picking up an Apple TV in the near future. My wife and I don't get cable tv but pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, and use chromecast for everything. I got the chromecast when I was using an android phone, and things don't work nearly as well on our iPhones. So if I suddenly have to pause YouTube or whatever, half the time the chromecast has to reconnect to the phone, load up, etc...

Anyway most of the ATV reviews or comparisons I can find are from months ago; what's the state of the system these days? I'm looking for actual user thoughts on the system as it stands now, and whether or not it would be a worthwhile purchase for us.

Also, a specific question. I know there's no Amazon Video app, but how well does airplay work? Does it time out if I lock my phone, can I continue using my phone while I'm airplaying, etc...?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I haven't had any problems using AirPlay from my phone for Amazon stuff

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think if your aTV is already on but the remote isn't the first time you press a button it will just connect and that's it?

Like sometimes in the morning I'll use the remote app on my phone to turn the TV on before I go downstairs, then grab the actual remote and I'll get a little connected Notification in the corner when I hit a button.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Did the remote app always have this white ring around the menu button (which should've been called 'back')?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I like the TV app, but I have the button just take me to the actual home screen. Most of my use of the TV app comes from keeping it in the dock and launching shows directly from there, I usually only open it to reload if it hangs.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
HDMI-CEC is kind of a shitshow. It depends on your setup, for example my surround sound will match my ATVs power state, but I still have to turn on/off my actual television.

As far as the TV app goes, it will populate with new/next episodes of shows you watch; long pressing the remote on the shows episode card will let you mark as watched, remove a show, etc... pretty much the only thing that doesn’t plug into it is Netflix.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
CEC has turned my surround sound system on/off as well 100% since day one but never once actually worked with the TV itself. My Switch, also plugged into the surround sound system, has never ever CEC’d properly.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m mostly pissed that it still doesn’t indicate watched videos on a playlist

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there any reason that my wife’s Netflix profile would have been parental controls set to like, maximum? She can watch Mama Mia! (for example) on her phone but it won’t play on our ATV. She’s even the dang account owner for our Netflix.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
so what the heck is this

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Please don't type your password into this.

My mama didn’t raise an idiot.

For clarification when I came home my wife said the tv “lost connection”, and when I opened the settings, that message popped up. I’ve been googling a bit and some random support posts from ‘15 talk about this message, however they only mention phones. According to three plus year old internet posts it’s something on the routers end, but all my other devices are fine.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The preview things is disappointing but on the plus side it seems to be easier to get to music videos in the Apple Music app and

PICTURE IN PICTURE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I slapped the lightning-to-headphone-jack dongle that came with my iPhone 7 into my remotes lightning port and haven’t had a problem with orientation since.